PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing

pooch
08-16-2007, 07:50 AM
why do you say Bless You or whatever after someone's sneezes?

Gsquared
08-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by pooch
why do you say Bless You or whatever after someone's sneezes?
Jerry says "Your soo good lookin" instead of bless you

pooch
08-16-2007, 08:34 AM
my momma says "eat your pudding"

Gobbla2001
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM
all of the illegals at work say "sancha" or "sancho"...

pooch
08-16-2007, 08:37 AM
even the ones from Scandanavia and the sub-continent?

Gobbla2001
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by pooch
even the ones from Scandanavia and the sub-continent?

hell yah...

I don't think we have any of those actually... but those would be fun too...

pooch
08-16-2007, 08:40 AM
;)

44INAROW
08-16-2007, 08:53 AM
"Sancho" I was thinking of another meaning

:D :D :D :D

found this on google...
The origin of the "bless you" tradition is not entirely clear. The urban legend experts at Snopes.com list an impressive number of possibilities. One involves the (hopefully) mistaken belief that a human's soul might escape through a sneeze. Saying "God bless you" wards off Satan while the soul is temporarily vulnerable.

Another story veers toward the medical. Once upon an unenlightened time, people believed that the heart stopped during a sneeze. A hearty "God bless you" set the ol' ticker back in motion. Keep in mind these were the days before defibrillators and HMOs.

Interesting, but the most popular theory comes from the Middle Ages. During the bubonic plague, a sneeze was believed to be a sign of impending death. "God bless you" was "a way of commending his soul to the care of God." The phrase may have also come in handy to protect oneself if someone nearby sneezed.

Today, "bless you" is more a sign of good manners than a shield against death. If only folks were as courteous about other involuntary bodily functions...

Gobbla2001
08-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
"Sancho" I was thinking of another meaning

:D :D :D :D

from what I understand, if a woman sneezes sometimes they'll say "sancha", jokingly insinuating their husband has another woman on the side... and if a man sneezes they'll say "sancho" , jokingly insinuating their wife has a man on the side...

(I got 'em backwards first time around, correct now)