PDA

View Full Version : When It's Hot It's Hot Just When Is It Hot?

BILLYFRED0000
08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
A Washington, D.C., resident recently came across a 1922 article that revealed early signs of climate change.

John Lockwood found a 1922 article in The Washington Post when he was conducting research at the Library of Congress. The article's headline read: "Arctic Ocean Getting Warm; Seals Vanish and Icebergs Melt," according to a report in the Washington Times.

The article reports "great masses of ice have now been replaced by moraines of earth and stones," and "at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared."

Click here to read the Washington Times story.

Lockwood said he's discovered other articles from the 1920s and 1930s on the same subject.

"I had read of the just-released NASA estimates, that four of the 10 hottest years in the U.S. were actually in the 1930s, with 1934 the hottest of all," Lockwood said.

FOX NEWS REPORT.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Oh, it's Fox News, what do you know? :thinking:

BILLYFRED0000
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
I just thought it was funny. I had read an article the other day where NASA had misread a couple of it's data sets and found that the 30's had the 4 of the hottest years and the hottest year on record. I wondered if anybody would start going back and doing searches on stuff like this.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I just thought it was funny. I had read an article the other day where NASA had misread a couple of it's data sets and found that the 30's had the 4 of the hottest years and the hottest year on record. I wondered if anybody would start going back and doing searches on stuff like this.

Ahh, all at the rise of unregulated emissions and industry. Kinda makes people like me wonder if we actually DO have something to do with it after all, but call me crazy. All I know is that it's getting hotter every summer and something is making this happen. I don't know really how to explain or know any hard facts, but it's kinda funny how it seems really tropical in central Texas these days, with all of the unprecedented rain and high temperatures and humidity. :thinking:

BILLYFRED0000
08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
In the for what it's worth department, it follows almost exactly the sunspot activity for this year. The spots slowed down on time in the spring and came back up in late July. Just what the solar forecasters predicted. And the weather seemed to follow the trend.

burnet44
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
some are suggesting that sunspots are the cause
and global warming isnt a or as big a factor
wonder if Al Gore is gonna put that in his next movie?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
In the for what it's worth department, it follows almost exactly the sunspot activity for this year. The spots slowed down on time in the spring and came back up in late July. Just what the solar forecasters predicted. And the weather seemed to follow the trend.

Maybe, maybe not. Until someone can give me evidence that won't once again lead to something inconclusive, I'm just going to keep going day to day thinking that it's hotter than it should be. :D

BILLYFRED0000
08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
damn skippy

injuredinmelee
08-15-2007, 12:59 AM
would be interested to see where this year ranks in average daily temperature against say the last 50 yrs. Seems it took it a long long long time to finally get to 100 degrees where I be...

Ranger Mom
08-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
would be interested to see where this year ranks in average daily temperature against say the last 50 yrs. Seems it took it a long long long time to finally get to 100 degrees where I be...

What's strange to me is, this is the FIRST summer I can ever remember the Permian Basin NOT hitting 100° and it's already mid-August!:eek: :eek:

JasperDog94
08-15-2007, 08:29 AM
This is one of the coolest summers in recent memory.

crzyjournalist03
08-15-2007, 08:48 AM
I remember about seven years ago when it was 110 and 112 on a few days..I'm actually quite pleased with the summer, and have to agree that scientists did predict a cooler summer many months ago.