PDA

View Full Version : A Breckenridge History Lesson

WOS87
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
I posted this for a discussion that was going on over on the 5A board, but since the primary topic was a program that is currently 3A I thought I'd put it up over here too. Most people have forgotten what a power Breckenridge use to be. To this day, only Southlake Carroll and Celina can stake a claim of having bested Breckenridge's remarkable run of winning 5 state titles in 9 years.

Now that I finally have some data to back it up I thought I'd give some props to Breckenridge.

This is just the initial part of the extended Breckenridge history I'm in the process of putting together. What's amazing about this run in the 50's is the quality of the opponents that they simply bulldozed. In all 10 seasons from 1950-1959 they played at least one eventual state finalist, and in 8 out of 10 they were either state champs themselves or had an eventual state champ on their schedule.

Since 1959, an eventual state champion in the largest existing classification has only been beaten by a team in a lower classification three times.
(1) 4A Port Arthur Lincoln beat newly opened Beaumont West Brook in the 2nd game of 1982 by 6 pts
(2) 4A Grapevine beat 5A Flower Mound Marcus in Week 3 of 1997 by 1 pt
(3) 4A Highland Park beat 5A Garland in Week 1 of 1999 by 2 pts

All 3 of those schools were very large 4A schools either just recently having dropped to 4A or on the verge of moving up to 5A themselves.

In the 9 seasons from 1950 to 1958 Breckenridge beat the eventual largest classification state champ on three separate occasions. This includes eventual State Champ Wichita Falls in both 1950 and 1958, and also eventual State Champ Abilene in 1954 being the last team to beat Abilene before their record 49 game winning streak. As Breck won a 3A title themselves in 1954 and 1958, one can very easily argue that those teams were the best in the entire state, no matter what classification, since they beat the State champs in the classification above them. And unlike Grapevine and Highland Park more recently, Breckenridge was not a large 3A school at the time. In fact if you look closely at the history, you'll see that they actually fell down into 2A for one year in 1955 but were moved back up to 3A in 1956. The UIL did realignments on an annual basis back then.

Points of interest over the decade:
1950 - won 18-0 over eventual 2A state champ Wichita Falls
1951 - 3A State Champs
1952 - 3A State Champs
1953 - lost to 3A State Finalist Big Spring in district play 0-6
1954 - 3A State Champs, beat the 4A State Champ Abilene 35-13
1955 - Dropped to 2A, for a season and lost to eventual 2A State Champ Stamford 7-13 and slowed down eventual 4A State Champ Abilene in a losing effort 0-13.
1956 - blown out by 4A State Champ Abilene 0-41
1957 - lost to eventual 3A State Finalist Sweetwater 13-18 in bidistrict
1958 - 3A State Champs, beating 4A State Champs Wichita Falls 26-22
1959 - 3A State Champs, tying 4A State Finalist Wichita Falls 14-14

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/breckenridge50-59.gif

RMAC
08-14-2007, 10:09 AM
All that recruiting sure did them good back in the day...

3afan
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
great run, and a cool nickname ...

BreckTxLonghorn
08-14-2007, 12:02 PM
AWESOME info. Thanks so much for posting.

I actually did a research paper in high school regarding the football program and its traditions. The 1959 team was named by the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram as the team of the century. Kinda cool, I thought.

As for the recruiting aspect, there were multiple accusations of it during the time. There always seemed to be a convenient move-in or 4 right before the season started. The school's defense was that people wanted to move to town to play football, and of course it was on oil town, so there were jobs available. There was no evidence to prove recruiting; at the same time, there was never anything substantial to defend it.

I omitted this from my paper, but I did talk to an 'old-timer' of the town, and here's his quote from his perspective: "We always won, so people always accused us of recruiting. And we did.":D