PDA

View Full Version : Navasota High Principal

burnet44
08-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Navasota High Principal Refutes Allegations

Reporter: Meredith Stancik
Email Address: stancik@kbtx.com

More of Brent Rumbo's Interview with News 3

A heated school board meeting Monday night regarding Navasota High School principal Brent Rumbo left several unanswered questions, but what happened after the meeting might bring about a resolution. The group attacking the principal seems to be taking a higher road.

"The wheels on this wagon have fallen off," Grimes County NAACP President James Harris said Monday night. "There's definitely a problem at the high school."

Harris has been the voice of the accusers who say high school principal Brent Rumbo discriminated against minorities and intimidated students and employees, allegations Rumbo says are false.

"There's been some things that I don't know if fabricated is the right word, but at least embellished to a point where they are not true," Rumbo said.

Following Monday night's meeting, Rumbo and Harris met one-on-one, and now the civil rights group seems to be backing down.

"We were in a storm, but we didn't stop," Harris said. "We kept going through it. I think we're on our way out."

For the first time Tuesday, Rumbo opened up about the allegations. He said he should remain as principal and is willing to work with the community.

"Ultimately, you have to look at those concerns," Rumbo said. "You have to hear those concerns and desires of those parents and be able to move forward."

Rumbo also has allegations of criminal conduct. Four students claim Rumbo chased them with an ax after those students called his wife a bad name.

Rumbo says those allegations are not true. He says he's not worried that his case is expected to go the grand jury this month, and that he has made Navasota his home and plans to stay.

"Do I think that I should be on leave? No, because there's no validity to the allegations," Rumbo said.

The Navasota school board says it will make no decision regarding Rumbo's status in the near future.

JasperDog94
08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Four students claim Rumbo chased them with an ax after those students called his wife a bad name. If this is true then it's not funny....but that visual just makes me laugh.:D

snakebite
08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
here is the story from the eagle newspaper in bryan-college station. i'm not sure what to believe any more but there is way too much negativity from both sides now.

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/081407/local_20070814002.php

buff4life
08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
somethings become funny, not this situation for navasota, but something like this occured in Giddings not the pricinpal situation but the NAACP gettin involved for basically no reason other than causing trouble

HEMOTOXIC
08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, coming from a reliable source (me), lol, Rumbo had to go. Maybe he had good intension in Navasota; however, they never showed. Yes, the NAACP did get involved by making a complaint against Rumbo, only after the plaintiffs didn't get anywhere after they too complained to the school board. In addition, it wasn't just students/parents who are of color that complained. There were some personnel/staff who are caucasian lthat eft NHS becasue of Rumbo. From harrassing students and bullying staff, Rumbo was just way out of control. The problems continued because the spinless school board waited too long to act. Why would you bring in a principal who had been involved a harrassment/discrimination lawsuit at Winona ISD inwhich the families won? If Rumbo were the principal down the road at A&M Consolidated, he would have bitten the dust a long time ago. Even better, he wouldn't have even been selected to head a high school had a proper back ground check been performed. We can sit here and play point the finger all day long. Once everyone admits that Rumbo wasn't right for NHS, NISD can began to improve NHS/NISD image and its unacceptable TEA rating.