PDA

View Full Version : Who is playing quality 4A Teams

BigRed01
08-19-2002, 05:32 AM
It seems to me, that the teams who play the big 4A quality teams to start off the year are better off in the long run than trying to take on the 3A teams or even worse the 2A teams just to get a few W's in the win column. It may raise confidence to get the W's, but when it comes down to the ones that count, you really need the experience of seeing and playing good football. Who out there is playing good or great 4A Teams?

Atl_Rabb_Fan
08-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Atlanta is playing nothing but 4A teams in non district. With a fe being pretty good teams.
Paris
Hallsville
Texas High
Mt Pleasant
Marshall
I know it will be tough on them but it will be worth it to get them ready for that tough district.

[This message has been edited by Atl_Rabb_Fan (edited August 19, 2002).]

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-19-2002, 09:46 AM
Port Isabel is scrimmaging two 4A teams, Edcouch Elsa (picked to win district in 32-4A) and Mercedes (34-4A "darkhorse")

Then, they open the season with PSJA Memorial (4A playoff team last season), play Falfurrias (3A playoff team) and end their non-district schedule with Los Fresnos (picked to make playoffs, will go Div. 1)

I'm hoping that scrimmaging the tougher 4A teams will prepare them for their non-district schedule. Last year they scrimmaged weaker teams, and didn't fare well in non-district play.

footballgal
08-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Port Isabel is scrimmaging all 4A teams, Edcouch Elsa, Mercedes, & Floresville. Tarpons traditionally play 4A teams in pre-district play, with the exception of this year. They start season play with 4A Pharr-San Juan-Alamo, then (the exception this yr.) Falfurrias then closes pre-season play with long, long time rival 4A Los Fresnos. This schedule will definitely help them for district play as they start district play against one of 2 other district contender’s, who by the way the Tarpons shared their district championship in the 2001 season. (But beat them head-on with a score of 7-6) that is the Rio Hondo Bobcats. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

I guess I just repeated what you said TFINT. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited August 19, 2002).]

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-19-2002, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by footballgal:
[B]Port Isabel is scrimmaging all 4A teams, Edcouch Elsa, Mercedes, & Floresville. Tarpons traditionally play 4A teams in pre-district play, with the exception of this year. They start season play with 4A Pharr-San Juan-Alamo, then (the exception this yr.) Falfurrias then closes pre-season play with long, long time rival 4A Los Fresnos. This schedule will definitely help them for district play as they start district play against one of 2 other district contender’s, who by the way the Tarpons shared their district championship in the 2001 season. (But beat them head-on with a score of 7-6) that is the Rio Hondo Bobcats. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

I guess I just repeated what you said TFINT. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Well, except the part about Floresville. I didn't know about that one. Where are they going to scrimmage them??? Neutral site?

Big Tarp 74
08-19-2002, 12:07 PM
footballgal, I noticed that when we scrimmaged EE, that PI only had 25 players, several were brought up from the Junior Varsity to help out. The only think about such small numbers, it makes it very hard when competing against large 4A schools. I noticed that EE had both a offensive and defensive team. The players were not going both ways, as was our case. Joey stayed covered up by EE's big linebackers. He was never able to get running against them. PI seem to hurt EE when they were passing the ball. This PI team is very young, and faced a senior ball club in EE. I was expecting EE to run over us, but this did not happen. In fact EE took some pretty good shots from PI defenders. The Tarpon players should be very proud. I was sitting next to the Mercedes scout, he was stunned when PI ripped open EE defensive line on a special play that PI ran. even I was supprised. The PI offensive line ripped a twenty five yard hole right in the middle of EE. The linebackers did not know what to do so both linebacker went with the flow on their side of the field, leaving a huge hole. Even our quarterback, started dancing arround not sure if he should run or throw. He took off running to the right side. He was caught after picking up about 8 yards. But what a hole. Both linebacker started asking question of there defensive line as to what happen up there.

eye of the tiger
08-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Commerce only plays one 4A team this year, but its a pretty good one. Wylie from tough district 12-4A. Wylie is pick to win over prennial power Highland Park. We do play Forney in one of our other games and there are a lot of 4A teams I would rather play than face the Jack Rabbits

SintonChick03
08-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Sinton is just playing two this year buti belive they are very tuff teams...
Beeville-Scrimmage next week
Georgry-Portland-nonDistrict on Sept.6 in G-P
They also play Rice consalidated Raymondville orange Grove there is more buti cant think right now so i am out peace

Bull Butter
08-19-2002, 05:06 PM
FYI--- Last year Port Isabel scrimmaged:
Mercedes (4A team which had a down year)
Brownsville Lopez- Champions of 32-4A
Zapata- Champions of 31-3A

mwynn05
08-19-2002, 07:47 PM
marlin is playing a few 4A teams one them being back to back state champ ennis they also play midway and university in waco

htownfbman
08-19-2002, 09:45 PM
wharton plays brazosport who has in the past been a pretty good team, but im not really sure what they've got this year.

BigRed01
08-20-2002, 05:09 AM
Bridge City is only playing 1 4A school this year, a much improved LCM team. We actually right before district get to prove ourselves with the 3A elite taking on Newton. As oppossed to we normally play 4A schools to start the season, you really can't find a more quality team than Newton to get cranked up for the district.

bigfanofthegame
08-20-2002, 06:59 AM
I don't know how good these teams are but Bridgeport plays Burkburnett and Mineral Wells.

RBARKER
08-20-2002, 07:29 AM
Barbers Hill only has one 4A team lined up this year which is a much improved Dickinson team. This team gave Bay City all they wanted last year in the playoffs BC won 28-21.

[This message has been edited by RBARKER (edited August 20, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by RBARKER (edited August 20, 2002).]

SintonFan
08-20-2002, 10:43 AM
Without a doubt Gregory-Portland is a quality team. They should be a much improved team this year. Last year they were the runner-up to Beeville. I wouldn't be alarmed if Sinton lost to them and still had a great season. Of course if Sinton beats them, that would be a great accomplishment. Sinton has never beaten GP. Something else going for GP, they now have former Refugio coach George Harris there for a couple of years. He's a great coach.

JKLL
08-20-2002, 04:34 PM
Bigred01, just how much do you know about this "much improved LCM team"?

Random Joker
08-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Carthage plays Henderson, Kilgore, and Paris.

BigRed01
08-21-2002, 05:18 AM
Just what I heard, JKLL. I don't mean to infer in any way they are a quality 4A team, just that they will be improved from last year. Have you heard that they will be worse? Like I said our big test will be Newton right before we hit district.

fury900
08-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Vernon Lions plays 3A Sweetwater 5A Altus Oklahoma 4A Wichita Falls Coyotes 4A Wichita Falls Hirschi 4A Burkburnett

evebulldog01
08-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Everman scrimmaged 4A's Azle and Granbury last Saturday with Azle having made the playoffs last year and thursday we scrimmage 4A Arlington Heights. Our first game of the season is against Eastern Hills which is predicted to win the northern division of district 7-4A if not win the entire district out right by beating Dunbar Also they made the playooffs last year. In week 3 We play Crowley out of 8-4A who is predicted to win that district which includes stephenville, brownwood, granbury, and alvarado and they made the playoffs last year. Oh yea and in between we get to play 6A Lawton Eisenhower who had 17 players off of last years team sign with division 1 schools. In week 4 district starts for us against state ranked Kennedale.

bc 76
08-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Talked to some of the coaches from brazosport they said that this years team was going to be young.They do not return a tested qb-rb this year.I know they were to scrimmage brazoswood last week.

doordie
08-22-2002, 11:00 AM
forney has aledo, mesquite horn, & mabank. all 4a's. they finish with commerce!! they would rather play the 4a's!!

j_dog
08-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by BigRed01:
It seems to me, that the teams who play the big 4A quality teams to start off the year are better off in the long run than trying to take on the 3A teams or even worse the 2A teams just to get a few W's in the win column. It may raise confidence to get the W's, but when it comes down to the ones that count, you really need the experience of seeing and playing good football. Who out there is playing good or great 4A Teams?

Just wondering if anyone out there would consider Nederland (scrimmage), Port Neches Groves, Silsbee, Nacogdoches and Houston Smiley as "quality" 4a teams. Maybe they are the weak sisters of 4a, but Jasper is playing them anyway. But, hey, I have always thought they had pretty good teams.

Old Cardinal
08-22-2002, 08:53 PM
To J_Dog, I can't think of anyone that follows 4A that would not be confident that Silsbee, Port Neches-Groves and Nederland are worthy opponents for ANY 3A to tackle. It must be like a dream for Jasper, to drive deep deep into the 4A bracket one year and then find yourself in the 3A Classification the next year! I have not seen Nacogdoches or Smiley; therefore, I will not comment of them. Tomorrow night Bridge City scrimmages that Silsbee team. They will test you, as you well know. I just hope that we don't get anyone injured. Fact is, BC must be able to find their weaker points. Silsbee and Newton will help you find your areas to improve in, right?

j_dog
08-23-2002, 11:45 AM
I think Nacogdoches believes it has a really good team judging from some postings I have seen. I have not heard anything about Smiley this year. Of course, Jasper is also playing Strake Jesuit who might be better than any of them. They were undefeated last year, but I have no idea what caliber of competition they had. From what I hear, being a "private" school, they recruit from all of Houston.

Ram
08-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Snyder Plays 4th ranked 4A Friendship this week in Snyder .. Big test.. In Snyders 2 Scrimages they easily controled A top ranked Post team and 4A Dumas squad while working on the passing game. Last Year Snyder had 3 of the Areas 10 top rushers so scoring through the air will be a bonus this Year. Snyders QB was a leading Rusher in the Area in 4A last year but All 3 TDs ( 2 in the 1st 15 plays vs 4A Dumas ) were though the air.. not bad for an Option QB..

Random Joker
08-24-2002, 07:16 PM
nacodoches is horrible..plain and simple..Carthage beat them last year the only game they won the whole year.

j_dog
08-24-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Random Joker:
nacodoches is horrible..plain and simple..Carthage beat them last year the only game they won the whole year.

I thought that Nac had had a hard time in 5a. I wondered if they were doing any better in 4a. Apparently not. Well, it must make at least one poster feel good to believe that they are doing better. Actually, I hope they are. The Dogs need good competition.

russ31
08-28-2002, 04:42 PM
North Lamar scrimmaged Sherman (ranked by DMN), and plays Paris and Longview Pine Tree in pre-district.

hornet03
08-28-2002, 07:12 PM
I dont know if people are really considering Alvarado a quality 4a team but they are picked to get 2nd in their district but I think this will be a good first round test for gatesville to see where we are at.