PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns to use true freshmen in O

luvhoops34
08-11-2007, 01:59 PM
College football: Longhorns may use true freshmen on O-line

Web Posted: 08/10/2007 10:41 PM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News staff writer

With holes abounding in the Texas two-deep at offensive line, coach Mack Brown is prepared to turn to an unlikely source in his search for depth.

True freshmen.

Brown says at least some of the team’s four rookie linemen will play this season, a rarity at UT. Tray Allen and Kyle Hix have been working out at tackle, while Michael Huey and Aundre McGaskey have been practicing at guard.

“Some will play, and usually we wouldn’t say that,” Brown said. “We’re just not sure which ones.”
jmcdonald@express-news.net

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA081107.longhornsOline.en.20ee53f5.html

charlesrixey
08-11-2007, 02:39 PM
i'm not that concerned

they still have the deepest OL in the country

every one them is a top 100 state or national recruit

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I saw that Burnette is out for a while, don't remember how long. I guess there must be more than him out. Good for the freshmen!

KL3
08-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i'm not that concerned

Ughh, no they don't. Their OL is their biggest concern and they are starting 2 seniors this year. They won't be as good next year as they have been in the past either.

g$$
08-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i'm not that concerned

every one them is a top 100 state or national recruit

Agreed on the talent level. But, as a rule, you never want a true freshman kid to play if he puts his hand on the ground (OL, DL). They are not ready yet physically & mentally as a rule. Are there exceptions? Yes, but it is rare.

LT Tray Allen (top OL in state last year) got whipped all night long by Sweeny's Tank Carder (TCU LB) in the THSCA Game. Watch the tape for proof. So did A&M recruit Evan Eike at LG. Neither is ready yet for D1 Big 12 competition, but in time will certainly be good ones.

Plus, never put that much stock into recruiting stars anyway. Colt McCoy & many other 2 & 3 star kids come to mind. Very inexact science.

g$$
08-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Ughh, no they don't. Their OL is their biggest concern and they are starting 2 seniors this year. They won't be as good next year as they have been in the past either.

Agreed. OL & secondary (lost 3/4 starters for 99th ranked pass defense) are the 2 biggest concerns for the Horns. That is common knowledge. Obviously they have had injuries in the OL to even consider playing true freshman.

burnet44
08-11-2007, 03:26 PM
1 freshman = 1 loss?

look they got em to play
not sit
play em
they are all ya got

g$$
08-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
1 freshman = 1 loss?

look they got em to play
not sit
play em
they are all ya got

Got 5 years to play 4 for a reason. You know the old saying: count how many true freshman starters you have & that will equal your total losses. By rule just not ready yet.

I guess we will find out, but I am not sold that Texas will play freshman OL yet anyway. Texas has recruited well at that position. Long way until opening game.

Cameron Crazy
08-11-2007, 03:33 PM
They need to get it together pretty fast!

TexanAlum_06
08-12-2007, 12:03 AM
what is burnettes injury? he told me there would be a statement in the paper today but i didnt see it.

Old Tiger
08-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Tray Allen and Michael Huey are beast and that isn't coming from me.

Old Tiger
08-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. OL & secondary (lost 3/4 starters for 99th ranked pass defense) are the 2 biggest concerns for the Horns. That is common knowledge. Obviously they have had injuries in the OL to even consider playing true freshman. The young guys on campus are more talented than the ones who have left with the exception of Michael Huff but they do not have the experience(secondary).

LH Panther Mom
08-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
what is burnettes injury? he told me there would be a statement in the paper today but i didnt see it. The paper didn't say, but here's the link.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2007/08/10/burnette_being.html)