PDA

View Full Version : 1st time for everything

44INAROW
08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
We were channel surfing during a commercial of the Cowboys/Colts game and ended up watching the SE Regional Championship LL game on ESPN, Alabama vs Georgia - and I saw something I've never seen - a female "behind the plate" umpire! The announcers said she's doing a really good job. It is the bottom of the 4th inning - Georgia ahead 8 to 5 but usually the 5th inning is when pitching changes and substitutions start happening and no telling how the game will end up........ Georgia has a kid who's hit 2 over the fence already tonight - I love to watch LLWS games:cool:

44INAROW
08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
just as it happens all the time in LL - top of the 5th - Alabama goes into the inning down 8 to 5 - gets 2 on base and a kid jacks one out - tied 8 to 8 - and also as it happens quite often - pitcher starts crying - throws his glove down and makes a scene - the coach is trying to get control of the situation - pulls the pitcher and puts a new kid on the mound and moves the pitcher to another position - (I'd of jerked the kid off the field for his attitude but that's just me).. Next batter jacks one out (ironically, the new pitcher is the kid from Georgia that has hit 2 homeruns tonight) recap, now in the 5th inning - Alabama 9 Georgia 8 - I think there is alot more baseball to be played...........Alabama was down 7 to 1 going into the 4th inning..

burnet44
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Ive seen a few
but mostly in the field

44INAROW
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
Ive seen a few
but mostly in the field

that's what hubby said - she seems to have everything under control..... good for her - she must be very well respected in her area - it's quite an honor to be asked to umpire at the LLWS tourneys - and to be a woman it's really an honor@!

zebrablue2
08-09-2007, 09:06 PM
is it just me. these teams look a little weak. no speed, and the pitching, fair at best. still a very fun game to watch. and I would have taken out the pitcher, to the bench that is. there is no crying in baseball.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 09:06 PM
no kidding

LH Panther Mom
08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
pitcher starts crying - throws his glove down and makes a scene - Here we go..........

http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/kind3.gif

burnet44
08-09-2007, 09:11 PM
on TV?

Chopblock
08-09-2007, 10:15 PM
We have female umpire here that called the 2002 LLWS
She is probably on of the best I have ever called with

44INAROW
08-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
is it just me. these teams look a little weak. no speed, and the pitching, fair at best. still a very fun game to watch. and I would have taken out the pitcher, to the bench that is. there is no crying in baseball.

I agree 100% Zebra - I know he is only 12 etc but if he gets away with acting like that now, he'll assume it's OK to act like that as he gets older - needs to be nipped in the bud NOW. and yes, Tom Hanks said it best - "THERE IS NO CRYING IN BASEBALL" :D :D