PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater

Stownhorse
08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
As many of you know theis years Sweetwater program isnt ranked very high at all and is looked at as pretty much a joke this year. Before 2-a-days even started a returning starter decided not to play, he was a big push on our frontline. Then after 2-a-days started I would heard a few quitting, but its like an epidemic quite a few players ive talked to are considering quitting. Is this a program meltdown, is it the rankings, is it the team, or is it the coaching? Its actually pretty sad, I looked at the Region I tab on the home page and we were ranked 10th IN REGION I ALONE. This whole thing kind of puzzles me, tell me what you think about this whole ordeal.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
As many of you know theis years Sweetwater program isnt ranked very high at all and is looked at as pretty much a joke this year. Before 2-a-days even started a returning starter decided not to play, he was a big push on our frontline. Then after 2-a-days started I would heard a few quitting, but its like an epidemic quite a few players ive talked to are considering quitting. Is this a program meltdown, is it the rankings, is it the team, or is it the coaching? Its actually pretty sad, I looked at the Region I tab on the home page and we were ranked 10th IN REGION I ALONE. This whole thing kind of puzzles me, tell me what you think about this whole ordeal.

Maybe it's the coaching.;)

3afan
08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
...Sweetwater ... is looked at as pretty much a joke this year. ...

i dont think many thought that, just that they'd be a little down this year compared to the past few years ...

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i dont think many thought that, just that they'd be a little down this year compared to the past few years ...

I agree with you on that. I've heard alot of people saying they were a sleeper pick for Region 1, I don't think you can count them out just yet.

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
you just never know how one group of kids is gonna respond - some work hard to protect a tradition others won't for whatever reason. i'm not sure what's going on in Sweetwater, but I think every program at some point, will go through some rough patches.

Ranger Mom
08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
you just never know how one group of kids is gonna respond - some work hard to protect a tradition others won't for whatever reason. i'm not sure what's going on in Sweetwater, but I think every program at some point, will go through some rough patches.

I see ours coming the next couple of years...:( :(

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I see ours coming the next couple of years...:( :( Last year was pretty rough in Sinton. :(

Stownhorse
08-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

I figured we might make it alright this season, but i got that drift from shootin the breeze with friends and other mustang fans. I know how they will respond to the diversity and they will be alright if they can keep the team together.

Snyder_TigerFan
08-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Okay, I'll throw the first rock because Sweetwater Red has come out of his hibernation. Snyder gets past first round, Sweetwater doesn't.:D :D

:D :D :devil:

Stownhorse
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
O so early for that kind of talk, and there was no reason for that to be posted in here.

Ranger Mom
08-09-2007, 04:26 PM
O so early for that kind of talk, and there was no reason for that to be posted in here.

You are kidding......right????

Gsquared
08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I wouldnt sweat it, the cuppard runs bare on even the best programs from time to time. You would like to see them stick it out and represent the great program that is Sweetwater but if they dont, Swater will be back.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 04:56 PM

Many schools in the area have lost a lot of enrollment and a lot of kids in programs. Swater not long ago was paying teachers 30K to retire. Maybe a lot of the good kids left, leaving the hangers on, the workless, and the chicken fries. Many programs in the area have suffered the same fate. Sometimes its like dominos. One kid goes then a few others get together and think well we are not gonna be as good without him, then it snowballs on ya. Actually if they feel like that you really dont want them. You wont win with them anyway so you might as well play with kids who want to. The wins-loses will be the same and a lot less drama, parent crap and baloney.

There is a great movement in this state of reduced participation in activities. Seems more and more kids come from parents who dont make em work, do anything, or be anything. plus its all TAKS all the time. The fringe kids fall by the wayside because they are on the fringe hanging on. And if 1 or 2 kids go, whatever the reason, there are some kids who are so individualistic they quit instead of having enough pride to play. Coach jackson and his staff has done a wonderful job there. I doubt he has forgotten how to coach. Actually he got a jump on everyone else with the All Star game gig for a week.

Of maybe there is just a lot of rumor about kids quiting. I do know this once a kid quits it becomes easier. Once a man hits a woman it becomes easier. Once you smoke it becomes easier. Quitting makes quiting again easier. Coach Jackson will do as well as anybody can there or anywhere else.

Swater turned in 611 last time. 415 is the cutoff for 2A.

District 7 Enr.
Abilene Wylie 916
Breckenridge 460
Clyde 506
Comanche 426
Sweetwater 611

Thats not a lot in the economic times in west Texas. The domino effect is still there same as kids in school. A business or 2 closes, ya got a wal-mart that chokes local business, and the next thing you know, Where did everyone go?

Kinda the opposite here. We did well last year, we are on 35 growing, people moving in. We got 150 out now maybe more. Excellent numbers. 4 teams maybe. People wanna be part of success.

Swater has a strong program headed by a good coach. A school is a reflection of the community not the coach. The kids are a reflection of their parents not Coach jackson.

Find 11 to play with. harden them like steel and go to war.
In the end the quiters will get you beat no matter how much talent they have.

Fire away

Gsquared
08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
Many schools in the area have lost a lot of enrollment and a lot of kids in programs. Swater not long ago was paying teachers 30K to retire. Maybe a lot of the good kids left, leaving the hangers on, the workless, and the chicken fried. many programs in the area have suffered the same fate. Sometimes its like dominos. One kid goes then a few othere think well we are not gonna be as good without him then it snowballs on ya. Actually if they feel like that you really dont want them. You wont win with them anyway so you might as well play with kids who want to. The wins-loses will be the same and a lot less drama, parent crap and baloney. There is a great movement in this state of reduced participation in activities. Seems more and more kids come from parents who dont make em work, do anything, or be anything. And if 1 or 2 kids go, whatever the reason, there are some kids who are so individualistic they quit instead of having enough pride to play. Coach jackson and his staff has done a wonderful job there. I doubt he has forgotten how to coach. Actually he got a jump on everyone else with the All Star game gig for a week.

Of maybe there is just a lot of rumor about kids quiting. I do know this once a kid quits it becomes easier. Once a man hits a woman it becomes easier. once you smoke it becomes easier. Quitting makes quiting again easier. Coach Jackson will do as well as anybody can there or anywhere else.

Swater turned in 611 last time. 410 is the cutoff for 2A.

District 7 Enr.
Abilene Wylie 916
Breckenridge 460
Clyde 506
Comanche 426
Sweetwater 611

thats not a lot in the economic times in west texas. The domino effect is still there same as kids in school. A business or 2 closes, ya got a wal-mart that chokes local business, and the next thing you know, Where did everyone go?

kinda the opposite here. We did well last year, we are on 35 growing, people moving in. We got 150 out now maybe more. Excellent numbers. 4 teams maybe. people wanna be part of success.

Swater has a strong program headed by a good coach. A school is a reflection of the community not the coach. The kids are a reflection of their parents not Coach jackson.

Fire away
Sweetwater will be ok no matter what. Might drop in enrollment and maybe eventually a class but they will be ok.

Snydertigersrul
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Sweetwater won't be as strong as the past three seasons. Few schools can graduate the players that they did and still be as strong the following year. They won't be weak, but probably not go 9-1 in the regular season. Ask Ranger Mom, she can back me up that I know what I'm talking about. I predict 7-3 for the Mustangs, but they could go 6-4. Either way, they are the No. 1 seed for the playoffs in Division 2, with Wylie going Division 1. Schools like Sweetwater go through years like this from time to time, but most schools would love for a 6-4 or 7-3 to be a down year.

Mustangpride09
08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
If Rufus gets the ball, the only teams I can see them losing to are Brownwood and Abilene Wylie. As far as why kids are leaving the program, its pretty obvious, but its not my place to publically say why.

Phantom Stang
08-09-2007, 05:47 PM

One kid goes then a few others get together and think well we are not gonna be as good without him, then it snowballs on ya. Actually if they feel like that you really don't want them. You wont win with them anyway so you might as well play with kids who want to.

Coach Jackson and his staff has done a wonderful job there. I doubt he has forgotten how to coach.

Or maybe there is just a lot of rumor about kids quiting. I do know this once a kid quits it becomes easier. Once a man hits a woman it becomes easier. Once you smoke it becomes easier. Quitting makes quiting again easier.

Coach Jackson will do as well as anybody can there or anywhere else.

A school is a reflection of the community not the coach. The kids are a reflection of their parents not Coach Jackson.

Good job!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

wildstangs
08-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Programs go up and down - Hopefully Sweetwater doesn't fall into the kind of rut that haunted teams like Merkel, Abilene High, and Midland High.

I still think Sweetwater will be fine this year as long as a huge wave of people dont quit.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Sweetwater won't be as strong as the past three seasons. Few schools can graduate the players that they did and still be as strong the following year. They won't be weak, but probably not go 9-1 in the regular season. Ask Ranger Mom, she can back me up that I know what I'm talking about. I predict 7-3 for the Mustangs, but they could go 6-4. Either way, they are the No. 1 seed for the playoffs in Division 2, with Wylie going Division 1. Schools like Sweetwater go through years like this from time to time, but most schools would love for a 6-4 or 7-3 to be a down year.

I think that is the only post I have ever agreed with you on.

Good Job. Keep it up.:thumbsup:

DaHop72
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I think sometimes attitudes affect a team as much as talent. I think Sweetwater will go through the same problems that Snyder went through as well. When you have to replace multiple skill positions it takes time for the new players to gell together. I see them starting slow and having growing pains but being ready by district and the playoffs which is the goal of a team anyway.

rockdale80
08-09-2007, 10:16 PM
SWEETWATER IS GOOD!!!:confused:

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
SWEETWATER IS GOOD!!!:confused: lmao!

LH Panther Mom
08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
If they really want to quit, the team as a unit will be better off without them. Negativity by one or a few helps nothing. The kids that want to play don't need to listen to that day in and day out. I would rather have 15-20 kids that wanted to be there than 50 that half of them just wanted to gripe and moan. {insert crybaby smilie here... ;) }

DaHop72
08-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If they really want to quit, the team as a unit will be better off without them. Negativity by one or a few helps nothing. The kids that want to play don't need to listen to that day in and day out. I would rather have 15-20 kids that wanted to be there than 50 that half of them just wanted to gripe and moan. {insert crybaby smilie here... ;) } :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

burnet44
08-09-2007, 10:26 PM

One kid goes then a few others get together and think well we are not gonna be as good without him, then it snowballs on ya. Actually if they feel like that you really don't want them. You wont win with them anyway so you might as well play with kids who want to.

Coach Jackson and his staff has done a wonderful job there. I doubt he has forgotten how to coach.

Or maybe there is just a lot of rumor about kids quiting. I do know this once a kid quits it becomes easier. Once a man hits a woman it becomes easier. Once you smoke it becomes easier. Quitting makes quiting again easier.

Coach Jackson will do as well as anybody can there or anywhere else.

A school is a reflection of the community not the coach. The kids are a reflection of their parents not Coach Jackson.

QUOTE]

Good job!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

thanks I try

rockdale80
08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Many schools in the area have lost a lot of enrollment and a lot of kids in programs. Swater not long ago was paying teachers 30K to retire. Maybe a lot of the good kids left, leaving the hangers on, the workless, and the chicken fries. Many programs in the area have suffered the same fate. Sometimes its like dominos. One kid goes then a few others get together and think well we are not gonna be as good without him, then it snowballs on ya. Actually if they feel like that you really dont want them. You wont win with them anyway so you might as well play with kids who want to. The wins-loses will be the same and a lot less drama, parent crap and baloney.

There is a great movement in this state of reduced participation in activities. Seems more and more kids come from parents who dont make em work, do anything, or be anything. plus its all TAKS all the time. The fringe kids fall by the wayside because they are on the fringe hanging on. And if 1 or 2 kids go, whatever the reason, there are some kids who are so individualistic they quit instead of having enough pride to play. Coach jackson and his staff has done a wonderful job there. I doubt he has forgotten how to coach. Actually he got a jump on everyone else with the All Star game gig for a week.

Of maybe there is just a lot of rumor about kids quiting. I do know this once a kid quits it becomes easier. Once a man hits a woman it becomes easier. Once you smoke it becomes easier. Quitting makes quiting again easier. Coach Jackson will do as well as anybody can there or anywhere else.

Swater turned in 611 last time. 415 is the cutoff for 2A.

District 7 Enr.
Abilene Wylie 916
Breckenridge 460
Clyde 506
Comanche 426
Sweetwater 611

Thats not a lot in the economic times in west Texas. The domino effect is still there same as kids in school. A business or 2 closes, ya got a wal-mart that chokes local business, and the next thing you know, Where did everyone go?

Kinda the opposite here. We did well last year, we are on 35 growing, people moving in. We got 150 out now maybe more. Excellent numbers. 4 teams maybe. People wanna be part of success.

Fire away

Sometimes you quit because it is the right thing to do at the time, and sometimes it isnt the easiest thing in the world to do. I dont know what is going on, just saying that someone should be looked down on because they walk away. I am sure there many different reasons/circumstances that led to this.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
family is about it
You dont look down on them
you just know its not for them
but to be quitting NOW in Aug.
Dont start
Actually dont let them quit.
Ive told many "son I look foward to seeing you tommorrow at practice" before they left
many never quit
they just kept coming to practice
saved many a kid

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 10:38 PM
family is about it
Dont start
Ive told many "son I look foward to seeing you tommorrow at practice" before they left
many never quit
they just kep coming to practice i agree, we have a vicious bootcamp in the spring and 2 a days in the fall and so many fall by the wayside by the time we are srs. its about weeding out, but we never looked down on the ones who quit, it's not meant for everyone, my dad kinda did the same thing b44, i wondered if i could go back after my sophmore year 1st day of 2 a days. he looked pretty upset bout it, never ever crossed my mind again. when ya have good parents sometimes there is no bigger fear than letting them down

rockdale80
08-09-2007, 10:39 PM
family is about it
Dont start
many never quit
they just kept coming to practice
saved many a kid

Well that is what I meant. Not condoning it, just saying. There are a few other reasons/circumstances. But I dont know the story so I wont be so quick to throw in my opinion. There was a guy that I played with, then he just decided to stop playing. He was one of the most gifted athletes in our school. His reason was family, but different reasons than you might think. HIs dad was a huge...well you know. So he quit rather than deal with what he had on his plate on a daily basis. I never looked down on him at all for it, but it sure would have been nice to have him along for the ride.

rockdale80
08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
i agree, we have a vicious bootcamp in the spring and 2 a days in the fall and so many fall by the wayside by the time we are srs. its about weeding out, but we never looked down on the ones who quit, it's not meant for everyone, my dad kinda did the same thing b44, i wondered if i could go back after my sophmore year 1st day of 2 a days. he looked pretty upset bout it, never ever crossed my mind again. when ya have good parents sometimes there is no bigger fear than letting them down

No doubt about that. I know my dad lived through our football, but I didnt play for him. I played because I loved the game. In my mind that is the only reason to be out there. The other sports I played was just for the skills I could carry over to the football field.

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Well that is what I meant. Not condoning it, just saying. There are a few other reasons/circumstances. But I dont know the story so I wont be so quick to throw in my opinion. There was a guy that I played with, then he just decided to stop playing. He was one of the most gifted athletes in our school. His reason was family, but different reasons than you might think. HIs dad was a huge...well you know. So he quit rather than deal with what he had on his plate on a daily basis. I never looked down on him at all for it, but it sure would have been nice to have him along for the ride. i hear ya, my sr year had we kept 2 or 3 of the guys who quit, my god we would have easily been one of the largest teams in texas, still rather large lol 3 lineman quit, 6'5, 6'4, and 6'3 all of em big, fast but no family support to make it worth it for em, and if it isn't intrinsically important, they won't last

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
No doubt about that. I know my dad lived through our football, but I didnt play for him. I played because I loved the game. In my mind that is the only reason to be out there. The other sports I played was just for the skills I could carry over to the football field. true that, playing for anyone other than yourself out there will hurt your team and might even get yourself hurt! have to want to endure that kinda of mental and physical exertion, seriously all the hard stuff really pays off just to walk out under the Friday Night Lights, if ya played, im sure every kid remembers there 1st trip out on the big V

rockdale80
08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
true that, playing for anyone other than yourself out there will hurt your team and might even get yourself hurt! have to want to endure that kinda of mental and physical exertion, seriously all the hard stuff really pays off just to walk out under the Friday Night Lights, if ya played, im sure every kid remembers there 1st trip out on the big V

Like it happened yesterday.:D

burnet44
08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
daily

Mustangpride09
08-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I think sometimes attitudes affect a team as much as talent. I think Sweetwater will go through the same problems that Snyder went through as well. When you have to replace multiple skill positions it takes time for the new players to gell together. I see them starting slow and having growing pains but being ready by district and the playoffs which is the goal of a team anyway.

That definately isnt the case here.

Mustangpride09
08-09-2007, 11:31 PM
There's even more team unity on this team that there was last year.

Fal44
08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
There's even more team unity on this team that there was last year.

same here, best of luck to you...

sectionCwannabe
08-10-2007, 01:22 AM
The Mustangs have really good players, we have a skilled QB that can throw and run. Yes alot of good players are gone, but alot still remain and more are coming on board this year. The wishbone will be strong I only hope that Coach will use #10's arm, if the mustangs can throw the mustangs can win. I hear this rumor every year, Conditioning in 2 a days will make you want to quit, you may talk about it, but most of the time your heart wikll not let you........

Stownhorse
08-10-2007, 03:27 AM

Idk if we have ever agreed Hop but Im agrreingt with you on this post!

Tiger Baseball
08-10-2007, 08:34 AM
They didn't look bad at all in 7 on 7 this summer. That QB has an arm and some good speed.

lion75
08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Listen, sometimes a great athlete quitting or getting booted can solidify a team. At Vernon, Coach Brittian had to give one or two players (sometimes outstanding players) the boot almost every year and we would have no more trouble for the rest of the year. I remember Floyd Richardson (brother of 3a Player of the Year Derrick Richardson) getting his equipment jerked up out of his locker. And Bernard Scott, last years mvp in the JUCO national championship game from Blinn JC. We booted him. There have been several others. It always seems bad, but has a positive influence on the team. If a player quits, then so what. He's a punk quitter and you don't need him and you really never had him because he obviously wasn't committed in the first place. Bring up a soph. who is ready to man up and move on. The program will be better for it.

Who-dun-it!!?
08-11-2007, 04:25 AM
I doubt they will have as many problems as some expect. Sweetwater is always gonna compete. At least I hope so, there's nothing better than the Sweetwater - Snyder rivalry.
It just suks that we have to wait till the playoffs to see it if it happens at all.

charlesrixey
08-11-2007, 11:01 AM
i hear ya, my sr year had we kept 2 or 3 of the guys who quit, my god we would have easily been one of the largest teams in texas, still rather large lol 3 lineman quit, 6'5, 6'4, and 6'3 all of em big, fast but no family support to make it worth it for em, and if it isn't intrinsically important, they won't last

very well said, Booger!

Stangster
08-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Sweetwater has an awesome football tradition and a great football program. They will be competitive, you can take that to the bank. Having talent graduate is just opportunity for the younger players to step up. Coach Jackson has a way of bringing this out in his team. Go Mustangs!

Black_Magic
08-11-2007, 05:39 PM
What animals do they say are the ones who leave a sinking ship first?:thinking: :p

mustang04
08-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
What animals do they say are the ones who leave a sinking ship first?:thinking: :p

I believe it's the same one that crawled up your arse and died.....

:D :D

Blackie, long time no talk.....life WAS good......:devil: :D

shadow13
08-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
I believe it's the same one that crawled up your arse and died.....

:D :D

Blackie, long time no talk.....life WAS good......:devil: :D LMAO