PDA

View Full Version : Question for the golfers

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I broke my 3W over the weekend on the range...it had been cracked for a while near the head and it finally had one too many hits.

So I went to Golfsmith where they're having a clearance sale on a bunch of their used clubs. The options for lefties weren't great to start with, but I ended up debating between a Taylor Made, a Callaway and a Cobra Titanium 15 degree...the Callaway was marked 19.99 and the other two didn't have prices on them, so the manager said he'd sell either for 19.99...the Cobra looked the oldest of the three, but it was prolly about 8-10 years. I hit them in their room for a few minutes and decided to go with the Cobra.

Do you guys think I made a mistake buying an older club? I figured for 19.99 I could do much worse, but I really know very little about what I was looking at.

3afan
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
for $20 - no

jason
08-09-2007, 11:03 AM
should have got the callaway.... :D

whats your hdcp ??

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by jason
should have got the callaway.... :D

whats your hdcp ??

lol...I'll let you know when I finish an 18 hole round...

I've just started really practicing within the last six months...I had the set for a few years and just never used it. Right now, I'm still trying to hit the ball every time I swing...On a 9-hole course, I usually shoot around 1-2 over per hole.

when I go I usually go with my father-in-law, who plays a few times a week...we usually play best ball and shoot between par and 2 over.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
for 20 bucks
yeah lol

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
for 20 bucks
yeah lol

I actually considered buying a couple of them for a minute, figuring that if I end up really liking one of them, I still come out ahead by paying 40 bucks for a club that retails new for well over $100.

jason
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
lol...I'll let you know when I finish an 18 hole round...

I've just started really practicing within the last six months...I had the set for a few years and just never used it. Right now, I'm still trying to hit the ball every time I swing...On a 9-hole course, I usually shoot around 1-2 over per hole.

when I go I usually go with my father-in-law, who plays a few times a week...we usually play best ball and shoot between par and 2 over. ive been a callaway guy now for 5+ years...they make good stuff...

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jason
ive been a callaway guy now for 5+ years...they make good stuff...

do you use Callaway balls too? I've been using some Nike X-outs that I got from the Nike Outlet, but my in-laws bought me a box of Titleist HVC balls recently.

injuredinmelee
08-09-2007, 11:37 AM
do you use Callaway balls too? I've been using some Nike X-outs that I got from the Nike Outlet, but my in-laws bought me a box of Titleist HVC balls recently.

Try the Taylor Made balls. There is no sense in using expensive equipment when you are just starting to play again. Once you get you swing down and are consistently hitting better shots then upgrade your equipment and see how much difference it makes. You can spend all the coin you wont on good tools but if you cant use the tools correctly... well you know where I am going with this...

injuredinmelee
08-09-2007, 11:40 AM
but I should also add using the xout balls is not helping you one bit. There are some good balls available at a cheap price. Balls are the one area I would recommend weekend golfers spend money on. You dont have to go out and by the Callaway HXs or the titleist balls but dont settle for xouts or ANYTHING topflite.

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
but I should also add using the xout balls is not helping you one bit. There are some good balls available at a cheap price. Balls are the one area I would recommend weekend golfers spend money on. You dont have to go out and by the Callaway HXs or the titleist balls but dont settle for xouts or ANYTHING topflite.

the golf experts I talked to in the stores said that X-outs only have cosmetic defects...I'm guessing you think there's something more?

Maroon87
08-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I broke my 3W over the weekend on the range...it had been cracked for a while near the head and it finally had one too many hits.

So I went to Golfsmith where they're having a clearance sale on a bunch of their used clubs. The options for lefties weren't great to start with, but I ended up debating between a Taylor Made, a Callaway and a Cobra Titanium 15 degree...the Callaway was marked 19.99 and the other two didn't have prices on them, so the manager said he'd sell either for 19.99...the Cobra looked the oldest of the three, but it was prolly about 8-10 years. I hit them in their room for a few minutes and decided to go with the Cobra.

Do you guys think I made a mistake buying an older club? I figured for 19.99 I could do much worse, but I really know very little about what I was looking at.

That should be a good choice if you're just starting out. Heck I still play with the Wilson Pro Staffs my parents got me for Christmas when I was 17. It's better to learn how to actually play the game first before relying on club technology IMO.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Maybe all 3
I woulda got all 3 also
good idea

Blond Treehorn Thug: [holding up a bowling ball] What is this?
The Dude: Obviously you're not a golfer.

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That should be a good choice if you're just starting out. Heck I still play with the Wilson Pro Staffs my parents got me for Christmas when I was 17. It's better to learn how to actually play the game first before relying on club technology IMO.

My set that the 3W came from is Knight...so it's not like I've used anything special at all...that was kind of my approach when I bought them. I figured I could use and abuse them to learn how to swing, and once I get better, I'm sure I can get a nicer set of irons.

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
the golf experts I talked to in the stores said that X-outs only have cosmetic defects...I'm guessing you think there's something more?

anybody?

jason
08-09-2007, 12:55 PM
ive been using the maxfli revolution solid - its not quite as soft as a pro-v1 around the green, but is every bit as soft as a pro-v1

and (it seems like this to me), it flies farther with my irons (which is an area i am lacking in, im a short knocker, but im accurate, especially with my new irons)

it seems like a good, durable ball, hell, i shot a 'career' best 71 (-1) with it a few wknds ago....

id rather spend $20 for 2 dozen of these than $40 for a dozen pro-v1's

Darren
08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
20 bucks is a good deal.

I had an old cobra driver and I really liked it until the head flew off into the water.

Speaking of which does anyone know of a good place to get some clubs reshafted/regripped?

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Darren
20 bucks is a good deal.

I had an old cobra driver and I really liked it until the head flew off into the water.

Speaking of which does anyone know of a good place to get some clubs reshafted/regripped?

don't know about temple, but I went to the PGA Superstore in Plano yesterday and it was amazing...Golfsmith also sells a wide variety of grips, but the PGA Superstore is worth making a trip just to experience it...they have a sand trap inside the building for you to test wedges, a putting green with several holes, and an electronic drive measuring system where you drive your balls into a screen and it simulates what your shot would have looked like.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I have an old Adams Tight Lies that I love you can get them pretty cheap nowdays.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Darren
20 bucks is a good deal.

Tees Golf in the central texas marketplace in waco seems to be a place where everyone goes
I really dont know
I havent been there

Darren
08-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I went to Golfsmith awhile back and they had a clearence on Club components.

So I picked out a grip, Shaft and Head (I love the Killer bee they make) and I brought it to the club making part of Golfsmith. They said that I would be better off if I did it myself because they would charge me like 50- 75 just to put one club together for me.

I want to get all of my clubs reshafted and gripped but I can buy new clubs for what golfsmith would charge.

BILLYFRED0000
08-09-2007, 11:36 PM
don't know about temple, but I went to the PGA Superstore in Plano yesterday and it was amazing...Golfsmith also sells a wide variety of grips, but the PGA Superstore is worth making a trip just to experience it...they have a sand trap inside the building for you to test wedges, a putting green with several holes, and an electronic drive measuring system where you drive your balls into a screen and it simulates what your shot would have looked like.

I think the place is great. And if you were there or if you go back by the hxtours logo overrun practice balls. 27 a dozen and they are the equal of the pro v's for a lot less money. The driving range screens use the latest technology for measuring everything and while it is lots of fun the distances recorded are not quite right. I find on the real range the differnence to be usually about 10 percent of the shot. As far as launch angle and spin, that is the real info to get. Whenever you by a club check out what your old club does in the range and then compare it to the one you like. Look at what you want to change such as how high or low you want to hit and what the club you test does different than the one you have. You won't ever make a mistake that way. And yes the pro v xouts are cosmetic blemishes. Titleist does not like letting junk out of the factory.