PDA

View Full Version : Tuloso-Midway

pooch
08-09-2007, 07:47 AM
what kind of school is this, corpus folks?

T-M resurrects volleyball program
By Stuart Duncan (Contact)
Wednesday, August 8, 2007

CORPUS CHRISTI — For the first time in 20 years, Tuloso-Midway High School will send a volleyball team onto the court.

While the Cherokees aren't eligible to play varsity volleyball until next year because they have to wait for the next UIL district realignment, Tuloso-Midway will play junior varsity and freshman volleyball matches this season.

The Cherokees also have a coach who knows a thing or two about building a successful program.

Coach Melinda Horton guided King to the Class 5A playoffs in each of her nine seasons with the Mustangs, which included four area playoff appearances.

Horton, who helped King start its volleyball program in 1998, left the Mustangs to take over a T-M program that hasn't played a volleyball match since long-time area basketball coach Mike Bourg was coaching the Cherokees' volleyball team in 1987.

"It wasn't an easy decision for me to leave King because I still wanted to see them win a district title but I just felt it was time," Horton said. "I also really like the challenge of building a volleyball program."

"Coach Horton will do a great job at T-M," said Bourg, who is now a computer teacher at King. "She's a great coach -- she's a very intense coach and it won't take her long to turn that into a great volleyball program."

While Horton said the cost of fielding a volleyball team had a lot to do with the T-M's long hiatus between volleyball seasons, she's extremely happy to be a part of the program's resurrection this year.

Horton will coach the junior varsity team this season before taking over the varsity team next season, while T-M assistant Hector Serna will coach the freshman team.

"This is a special group of girls -- they're making history this year," said Horton, who played volleyball for Refugio High School before graduating in 1980.

Thirty seven players showed up for T-M's first workouts Monday, including 17 freshmen and no seniors. Monday was the first day area volleyball teams could practice.

"I wasn't expecting this kind of turnout -- it's tremendous," said Serna, who previously was an assistant in Mathis. "Coach Horton has brought a lot of excitement to the volleyball program and the girls have responded. It should be interesting."

While the Cherokees likely will be in the same district as area heavy hitters Calallen and Flour Bluff, Horton remains optimistic about T-M's chances in upcoming seasons.

"I have high expectations -- these girls have shown the desire to excel," said Horton, whose team opens the season Aug. 14 in Taft. "It may take us four or five years to make the playoffs, but if it happens sooner than that -- by God, that's even better."

Blastoderm55
08-09-2007, 08:35 AM
A strange one. Must be the close proximity to the refineries. :D

District303aPastPlayer
08-09-2007, 08:42 AM
They are more of a basketball powerhouse when it comes to girls athletics... had been for the longest time.... locally, they are one of the better basketball programs around....

Johnny Utah
08-09-2007, 09:02 AM
You would be surprised at the number of schools that STILL DO NOT PLAY Volleyball. Some schools just want girls basketball.

Phil C
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by pooch
what kind of school is this, corpus folks?

T-M resurrects volleyball program
By Stuart Duncan (Contact)
Wednesday, August 8, 2007

CORPUS CHRISTI — For the first time in 20 years, Tuloso-Midway High School will send a volleyball team onto the court.

While the Cherokees aren't eligible to play varsity volleyball until next year because they have to wait for the next UIL district realignment, Tuloso-Midway will play junior varsity and freshman volleyball matches this season.

The Cherokees also have a coach who knows a thing or two about building a successful program.

Coach Melinda Horton guided King to the Class 5A playoffs in each of her nine seasons with the Mustangs, which included four area playoff appearances.

Horton, who helped King start its volleyball program in 1998, left the Mustangs to take over a T-M program that hasn't played a volleyball match since long-time area basketball coach Mike Bourg was coaching the Cherokees' volleyball team in 1987.

"It wasn't an easy decision for me to leave King because I still wanted to see them win a district title but I just felt it was time," Horton said. "I also really like the challenge of building a volleyball program."

"Coach Horton will do a great job at T-M," said Bourg, who is now a computer teacher at King. "She's a great coach -- she's a very intense coach and it won't take her long to turn that into a great volleyball program."

While Horton said the cost of fielding a volleyball team had a lot to do with the T-M's long hiatus between volleyball seasons, she's extremely happy to be a part of the program's resurrection this year.

Horton will coach the junior varsity team this season before taking over the varsity team next season, while T-M assistant Hector Serna will coach the freshman team.

"This is a special group of girls -- they're making history this year," said Horton, who played volleyball for Refugio High School before graduating in 1980.

Thirty seven players showed up for T-M's first workouts Monday, including 17 freshmen and no seniors. Monday was the first day area volleyball teams could practice.

"I wasn't expecting this kind of turnout -- it's tremendous," said Serna, who previously was an assistant in Mathis. "Coach Horton has brought a lot of excitement to the volleyball program and the girls have responded. It should be interesting."

While the Cherokees likely will be in the same district as area heavy hitters Calallen and Flour Bluff, Horton remains optimistic about T-M's chances in upcoming seasons.

"I have high expectations -- these girls have shown the desire to excel," said Horton, whose team opens the season Aug. 14 in Taft. "It may take us four or five years to make the playoffs, but if it happens sooner than that -- by God, that's even better."

:eek:

Maroon87
08-09-2007, 09:32 AM
They're always strong in girls & boys roundball, swimming, and tennis. Not so much in most everything else.

District303aPastPlayer
08-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
They're always strong in girls & boys roundball, swimming, and tennis. Not so much in most everything else.

They had a girl a couple of years ago, i got to meet her through my job at HEB, who was one of the best pure ball handlers I have EVER seen... She crossed over 2 guys and dropped one to his backside while she blew by him... totally not fair...

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Their softball program has been doing really well. Their pitcher last year was awesome & she was just a freshman!! I think they lost some of their "stud" hitters, but Emily should keep them in alot of games if they can provide some offense for her.

piratebg
08-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I saw this on the news and had no idea they didn't play volleyball. Everyone knows that they are pretty good at tennis and basketball. I've been told they are very strong academically. They even try to play football.

Maroon87
08-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
They even try to play football.

They'd be better if we didn't recruit all their good players. Or so they say...:rolleyes:

District303aPastPlayer
08-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
They'd be better if we didn't recruit all their good players. Or so they say...:rolleyes:

Ive heard stories... Bio Benibo, Ryan Duke, among others, all went to middle school in the TM district, from what i understood...I could be wrong though...

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Ive heard stories... Bio Benibo, Ryan Duke, among others, all went to middle school in the TM district, from what i understood...I could be wrong though... wrong on duke! dunno bout benibo! i went to tm in 6th then transferred! no recruiting lol i just wanted to win! well that and multiple write ups, bit of a trouble maker! all changed when the coaches did the disciplining

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
wrong on duke! dunno bout benibo! i went to tm in 6th then transferred! no recruiting lol i just wanted to win! well that and multiple write ups, bit of a trouble maker! all changed when the coaches did the disciplining you? a trouble maker? rubbish! :D

piratebg
08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Remember, recruiting is only illegal if you get caught. ;)

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
you? a trouble maker? rubbish! :D :mad: show some compassion

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Remember, recruiting is only illegal if you get caught. ;) don't have to recruit when everyone around you stinks! its like do you want to sit next to the stinky kid or the one who brings a big lunch? lmao

piratebg
08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
don't have to recruit when everyone around you stinks! its like do you want to sit next to the stinky kid or the one who brings a big lunch? lmao

Well that depends. Does the stinky kid have a hot sister with a "friendly" personality? :D

DDBooger
08-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Well that depends. Does the stinky kid have a hot sister with a "friendly" personality? :D haha i had a friend who always said, "alright fellas, lets go hunting for girls with low self esteem!"

piratebg
08-09-2007, 02:34 PM
"alright fellas, lets go hunting for girls with low self esteem!"

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Sounds like my friends from HS. :D

Maroon87
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Ive heard stories... Bio Benibo, Ryan Duke, among others, all went to middle school in the TM district, from what i understood...I could be wrong though...

I dunno about Benibo, but Ryan's brother was a big time pitcher for us in the early 90's so I'd tend to believe he was at Calallen the whole time.

You may be thinking about Jordan Chambless. That's the one we always hear about.

Fal44
08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
one thing I know about T-M is they have some pretty good looking girls :D

Maroon87
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
one thing I know about T-M is they have some pretty good looking girls :D

Heh heh...oh never mind. :devil: