PDA

View Full Version : Astros sweep the Cubs

zebrablue2
08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
now 8 1/2 back. will they make a run? the brewers are in town for the weekend.

buff4ever
08-09-2007, 07:49 AM
If we sweep the brewers I will start getting excited, but we are still way behind 500 which is not fun. So lets get three more here to make things a little interesting. All this with the mighty pence on the bench and lowly jason lane in center field. If pence doesn't get hurt, we may be within striking distance right now. Well probably not quite, but maybe closer.

G-P King
08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
If we sweep the brewers I will start getting excited, but we are still way behind 500 which is not fun. So lets get three more here to make things a little interesting. All this with the mighty pence on the bench and lowly jason lane in center field. If pence doesn't get hurt, we may be within striking distance right now. Well probably not quite, but maybe closer. The astros are just teasing us!

JasperDog94
08-09-2007, 08:19 AM
The fan in me wants to see the Astros do well. BUT, the realist in me doesn't want Purpura to get a false sense of security about his team.

When we get to the end of this season, will Loretta be gone? What about Lamb? Purpura had the chance to make this team better by trading these guys that most likely won't be back.

Oh and then there's the Ensberg trade. I think we got a half a bag of dorritos for him.

And don't forget that great trade for Jennings. What did we give up for him? Oh yeah, two pitching prospects, and Willy Tavares.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 08:56 AM
8 1/2 seems like just close enough to have a prayer, but it's going to be hard to pass two teams with just over a month and a half left.

Maroon87
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
8 1/2 seems like just close enough to have a prayer, but it's going to be hard to pass two teams with just over a month and a half left.

Actually 3 teams...the Cards are just in front of the 'Stros.

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87

well in that case, they're doomed.

sahen
08-09-2007, 12:13 PM

I would not be shocked at all to see the Cards win the Central again and the Astros end up in 2nd....The Cubs historically are horrible in the 2nd half and have started their choke job while the Brew Crew is very young and I think they peaked to early in the year. The Brewers will be a force in the future but they have entered free fall mode as well, both the Cubs and Brewers are getting ever closer to the surging Astros and Cards and both of those teams know how to close out a year....

Darren
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Why do they put us through this every year.

The Disastros strike again.

sahen
08-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Why do they put us through this every year.

The Disastros strike again.

I'll take going to the playoffs 2 outa every 3 years....heck 2 out of every 4 if we go on and count this one....being one of the best 8 teams in baseball isnt exactly an easy thing, and the games at teh beginning count like the ones at the end....i dont care how they do it (granted being in front and coasting would be nice) if they make it to the postseason or atleast interesting at the end im happy, sure beats being a pirates fan.....also there is something to be said about having some momentum going into the playoffs....

Maroon87
08-09-2007, 12:28 PM
If Wandy could ever start pitching on the road the way he does at home there might be hope...it's a steep hill to climb but I've seen it done by the Astros before. Of course I don't think this club has a 36-10 finish in it like the '04 bunch.

zebrablue2
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
If Wandy could ever start pitching on the road the way he does at home there might be hope...it's a steep hill to climb but I've seen it done by the Astros before. Of course I don't think this club has a 36-10 finish in it like the '04 bunch.

maybe this can be a strange year where 2 or 3 games under .500 wins the central. heck, the cards only had 83 wins last year, and look what they did. in my heart I don't think we have quite enough to get over the hump, but I will pull for them till the fat lady sings.

sahen
08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
maybe this can be a strange year where 2 or 3 games under .500 wins the central. heck, the cards only had 83 wins last year, and look what they did. in my heart I don't think we have quite enough to get over the hump, but I will pull for them till the fat lady sings.

i dont think anyone has ever won a division title w/ a losing record.....the West almost had it happen a couple years ago, but their winner ended up a couple games above .500