PDA

View Full Version : La Feria Lions

footballgal
08-08-2007, 09:26 PM
The Esquivel era
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1186531029-laferiapractice3.jpg
Aug 7, 2007 6:51 pm

By ELADIO JAIMEZ
eladioj@valleystar.com
956-430-6285

LA FERIA — The times they are a changing at La Feria.
The Lions kicked off the 2007 season with two-a-day workouts starting Monday under the direction of new head coach Elifonso Esquivel.
Also new on the agenda was the Lions’ offense.
Esquivel, who served as defensive coordinator under former Lions head coach Roberto Valdez the past seven years, revamped the offense. And there’s no secrecy to the Lions’ new look. They’re going to pass the ball.
“We’re going to run the same kind of defense,” said Esquivel, the 30-year coaching veteran. “We’re just polishing it up. But our offense is different. We’re going with a one-back set and we really concentrated on that during the spring. We’re just opening up our offense. If we can run the ball, we’ll run the ball. We’ll take what they (opponents) will give us.”
Esquivel was the head coach at Asherton High (near Carrizo Springs) for two years before moving to the Valley. He coached at Rio Grande City and at Roma before ending up in La Feria.
About 120 kids showed up for practice from grades 9-12 for Esquivel’s first training camp as head coach.
Esquivel said having spent the past seven years at La Feria will make the transition easier.
“I know these kids and their parents personally,” he said. “I’ve seen them come up since seventh grade, especially since my son played with them. That helps tremendously.”

Among the scores of athletes showing up for workouts was Esquivel’s aforementioned son, Eleasar.
The younger Esquivel will handle the quarterback duties for the Lions. Eleasar Esquivel showed tremendous potential as a passer last season during the playoffs.
Elifonso Esquivel hopes the momentum carries into this season and is expecting a big year from him and the rest of the Lions.
“He’s just one of our seniors,” Elifonso Esquivel said. “He did good in the playoffs last year and that’s one reason we’re opening it up. They’ve all been working hard and we have a good nucleus of seniors. They’ve been winning since they were in seventh grade.”
Other seniors included offensive lineman Jaime Valdez, who is expected to anchor a solid O-line considered the strength of the squad.
On defense, tackle Eloy Almanza and nose guard Luciano Rodriguez will lead the Lions’ stop troops.
Esquivel made Greg Johnson his new defensive coordinator and Mark Mattox takes over the offensive coordinator duties. Johnny Hinojosa will serve as Esquivel’s first assistant.
“I have a good staff,” Esquivel said. “We share the same philosophies and that makes things easier.”

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/esquivel_175___article.xml/lions_feria.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjiY2UFWOQw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ergvsports%2Ecom%2Farticles %2Fesquivel%5F175%5F%5F%5Farticle%2Exml%2Flions%5F feria%2Ehtml

luvhoops34
08-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Valley football!

Thanks footballgal:D

footballgal
08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
No problem, I know folks around here, can't get enough of it. (32-AAA) :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Like me!

BTW, be sure to say hi to me at the Edcouch game, I'll be there.

Old Green
08-09-2007, 08:27 AM
La Feria are they a passing or run oriented team ?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
They run that blasted "Spread" that everyone seems to like running nowadays.....except for Port Isabel. We may be old school, but we're still good at it. :D

Old Green
08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
They run that blasted "Spread" that everyone seems to like running nowadays.....except for Port Isabel. We may be old school, but we're still good at it. :D True Dat ! Don't mess with what's working.

last year was the first time in years I didn't attend a game in the Valley. Hopefully this year I will.:)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
True Dat ! Don't mess with what's working.

last year was the first time in years I didn't attend a game in the Valley. Hopefully this year I will.:)

Week Zero in Port Isabel will be a good one to go to.

Edcouch-Elsa @ Port Isabel

Old Green
08-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Edcouch-Elsa @ Port Isabel That is going to be very good game. That's one I would like to see. See what my work schedule is like. I might just make it.

District303aPastPlayer
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Edcouch-Elsa @ Port Isabel

Hmmm... i might do this game...

footballgal
08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Like me!

BTW, be sure to say hi to me at the Edcouch game, I'll be there.

I will start as of now.. Hey Kenny! :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 10:41 AM
:wave:

howdy! I'll see you on Aug. 31st in Port Isabel!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 10:45 AM
That is going to be very good game. That's one I would like to see. See what my work schedule is like. I might just make it.

Dare I say it? A M&G in Port Isabel???

(Cue Phil "Pelican West Ad" in 3......2......1......)

And OG, if you do come, can you bring some game film? Namely the 1994 Cuero vs. Port Isabel game (taken from Cuero's side) if you have it or know someone who would have it.

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 11:16 AM
That is going to be very good game. That's one I would like to see. See what my work schedule is like. I might just make it. and miss Sinton vs. Cuero??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Old Green
08-09-2007, 11:17 AM

And OG, if you do come, can you bring some game film? Namely the 1994 Cuero vs. Port Isabel game (taken from Cuero's side) if you have it or know someone who would have it. I'll ask around about the 1994 game film and see if we can borrow are get a copy made.

Meet and greet just might happen at EE vs PI.:)

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 11:19 AM

That would be fun, but I just can't see me driving from Abilene to Port Isabel!! :eek: :eek:

Abilene to Cuero is just as bad though. :crazy1:

Old Green
08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That would be fun, but I just can't see me driving from Abilene to Port Isabel!! :eek: :eek:

Abilene to Cuero is just as bad though. :crazy1: You move to Abilene ?:(

44INAROW
08-09-2007, 11:26 AM

And OG, if you do come, can you bring some game film? Namely the 1994 Cuero vs. Port Isabel game (taken from Cuero's side) if you have it or know someone who would have it.

I don't have the '94 game on video but I do have the '93 game in Austin if you want that one. I need to take that tape out and watch it, we went to another game in the area that night and I can't remember who was playing.. I think I threw the camera out the window in '94 - it's probably still in Javalina Stadium parking lot :D :D :D :D

i'd love to watch a valley vs valley team game. Might have to do some research and pick a good one to go to

BobcatBenny
08-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Aug 7, 2007 6:51 pm
By ELADIO JAIMEZ
eladioj@valleystar.com
956-430-6285

LA FERIA — . . .
“We’re going to run the same kind of defense,” said Esquivel, the 30-year coaching veteran. “We’re just polishing it up. But our offense is different. We’re going with a one-back set and we really concentrated on that during the spring. We’re just opening up our offense. If we can run the ball, we’ll run the ball. We’ll take what they (opponents) will give us.”

"We'll take what they (opponents) will give us???"

That statement right there tells me it will be a long season for this team.

IMO you gotta take what you want! Otherwise you are just sucking on the tail pipe!!!

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 11:28 AM
You move to Abilene ?:( No. Sorry, I'll be in Abilene the day before for the Greenwood/Graham game. :D

Old Green
08-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
No. Sorry, I'll be in Abilene the day before for the Greenwood/Graham game. :D Ok! Thought you had deserted us south Texans and moved to the Darkside. :D

Old Green
08-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I don't have the '94 game on video but I do have the '93 game in Austin if you want that one. I need to take that tape out and watch it, we went to another game in the area that night and I can't remember who was playing.. I think I threw the camera out the window in '94 - it's probably still in Javalina Stadium parking lot :D :D :D :D

i'd love to watch a valley vs valley team game. Might have to do some research and pick a good one to go to Games I have attended in the past seem like playoff games when the top teams play. Great game atmosphere.

pirate4state
08-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok! Thought you had deserted us south Texans and moved to the Darkside. :D When I desert the South it will be to move back to the metro-mess and join forces with an even darker force. :p

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

i'd love to watch a valley vs valley team game. Might have to do some research and pick a good one to go to

Of course you'd have that 1993 game where Cuero annihilated us. And WHY would you throw out a perfectly good camera after Port Isabel returned the favor to Cuero in 1994? Were you THAT disgusted? :thinking:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 11:48 AM
BTW, I love how we've totally derailed a thread about the La Feria Lions and turned it into a potential "3ADL M&G in Port Isabel in Week Zero" discussion. :D

44INAROW
08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Of course you'd have that 1993 game where Cuero annihilated us. And WHY would you throw out a perfectly good camera after Port Isabel returned the favor to Cuero in 1994? Were you THAT disgusted? :thinking:

lighten up - can't you see I was joking???

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Wasn't sure on that one. I knew some Cuero people were pretty disgusted after the game, especially the coaches.

44INAROW
08-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Wasn't sure on that one. I knew some Cuero people were pretty disgusted after the game, especially the coaches.
I would think the 4 smiley faces at the end of my sentence would be a CLUE :rolleyes:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm a lil' slow sometimes......no I didn't catch that. :doh: