PDA

View Full Version : Football storylines to follow in Williamson County

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2007, 06:51 PM
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9407/image5682670al6.jpg
Kelly West
AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Liberty Hill coach Jerry Vance huddles with his players Monday, the first day of football practice. The defending Class 3A Division I state champs will open the season Aug. 31 against Waco Connally.

Liberty Hill, Leander among the area's major storylines this season
By Rick Cantu

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, August 09, 2007

The 2007 high school football season doesn't kick off until Aug. 30, but it officially began Monday, when several schools across Central Texas held their first practices.

Among those was Liberty Hill, the defending Class 3A Division I state champions, as well as several others across Williamson County.

Liberty Hill coach Jerry Vance huddles with his players Monday, the first day of football practice. The defending Class 3A Division I state champs will open the season Aug. 31 against Waco Connally.

With that in mind, here are the top 10 story lines facing high school football teams in Williamson County this fall:

Is Georgetown for real?

After winning the state 7-on-7 summer tournament — a surprise to many — the Eagles appear to have something special. A lot depends on quarterback Morgan Mickan, who passed for 1,200 yards and eight touchdowns and rushed for 508 yards and nine scores last season. If Georgetown gets solid support from its offensive and defensive lines, the sky is the limit.

First game: Alamo Heights, Aug. 31

Can defense rule at Westwood?

The Warriors claimed their first playoff victory last year, mainly on the strength of a powerful offense led by quarterback Chase Rich. While the offense regroups with several new players, the defense should be solid with linebacker Chase Griesbach (123 tackles) and safety Tanner Hogue (4 interceptions) back.

First game: at Austin High, Aug. 30

More Cinderella for Round Rock?

The Dragons came out of nowhere last year to go three rounds deep into the playoffs, including an upset of nationally ranked Lufkin that came after a 4-3 record in District 14-5A play, which goes to show how tough the district really is.

For the Dragons to make another playoff run, running back Marcus Jackson (1,600 yards, 27 TDs) will have to lead an inexperienced offense. While the offense adjusts with new faces, a defense led by returning starters Zach Pate at safety and Donovan Wiggins at defensive tackle will make times rough for opposing offenses.

First game: at Bowie, Sept. 7

How will Hutto do without Kerley?

Head coach Lee Penland has relied on Jeremy Kerley (now at Texas Christian) for four years at quarterback and safety. Kerley helped bring a winning culture to Hutto, which is banking on a new crew led by offensive lineman Quint Gola and LB Addison Sexton (80 tackles).

First game: Dripping Springs, Aug. 31

Will Leander still be a force?

Leander will have to march on without quarterback Josh McKinley, now at Purdue. Head coach Steve Gideon, however, is high on Eric Massoni, who asserted himself on junior varsity last season. He's 6 feet, 2 inches and 205 pounds and will get first crack at the quarterback spot.

Another player to watch is Gideon's son, Blake, who has verbally committed to Texas as a defensive back. The fastest player on the team (4.4 seconds in the 40), he will switch from his customary spot at safety to play quarterback in various situations.

First game: Converse Judson, Aug. 31

Can Liberty Hill win it all again?

Jerry Vance responded quickly when a visitor suggested his team doesn't need practice: "We need more than they allow," he said.

Perhaps, but the Panthers are expected to be good — they're ranked in the top five in the Class 3A preseason poll — and workhorse fullback Doug Allman (1,928 yards last year) was a force in six playoff games. Add junior linebacker Cody Lattimore (124 tackles) to the mix, and the Panthers just might be playing for the title again come December.

First game: Waco Connally, Aug. 31

How will Cedar Park fare?

Coming off a 9-3 year, the Timberwolves are a solid bet to reach the playoffs again. Head coach Chris Ross was pleased by quarterback Michael Cochran, who came on strong in 2006. With running back Hunter Dixon and wide receiver Travis Smith back, Cedar Park adds experience to a team loaded with talent.

First game: at Harker Heights, Sept. 7

Is Jarrell a playoff team?

District 25-2A has been one of the region's most competitive races in recent years, and Jarrell, Rogers and Salado promise a sprint to the finish. Jarrell, which reached the playoffs last year, returns 29 lettermen. The Cougars will have one of the district's best defense with linebacker Travis Franklin, defensive end Aaron Mueller and defensive tackle Jose Avilez.

First game: Crawford, Aug. 31

How good will Thrall be?

Now in his third season at Class A Thrall, Mark Sebek returns 30 players from a 10-2 season. It all starts with quarterback Tanner Newman, one of the best Class A rushers in the area last year with 671 yards. The Tigers have 17 starters back, a healthy crew for a team with high expectations.

First game: at Bruceville-Eddy, Aug. 31

How will Vista Ridge perform?

After just two seasons of varsity competition, Vista Ridge is on the verge of being, well, competitive.

The school has had success in volleyball and track, and it's only a matter of time before the Rangers matter in football. With 47 lettermen back — including 30 on defense — Vista Ridge's strength will be a veteran offensive line led by Joey Allen, Jon McCallum, Michael Kemble and Andrew Bearden.

First game: Anderson, Sept. 7

rcantu@statesman.com; 445-3953

American-Statesman link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/09/0809willco.html)

Daddy D 11
08-08-2007, 07:16 PM
statesman has always given LH very little love :thinking:

i still dunno why??

Cameron Crazy
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I will give some love.

Good luck this year LH!

Daddy D 11
08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
why thank you!

and your sig is quite possibly the tightest thing ever..

LH OffseasonVet
08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9407/image5682670al6.jpg
Kelly West
AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Among those was Liberty Hill, the defending Class 3A Division I state champions, as well as several others across Williamson County.

American-Statesman link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/09/0809willco.html)

I didn't realize we had won Div. I, but if the Statesman prints it, it must be true.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

burnet44
08-08-2007, 11:45 PM
statesman likes westlake

Old Tiger
08-09-2007, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't expect much from Georgetown. They will be lucky to make the playoffs.