PDA

View Full Version : Texas leaving the Big 12

Buccaneer
08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Have you heard this rumor? I have only heard it on my local radio show. By the host not a caller. The rumor was they are considering joining the Big Ten.

IHStangFan
08-08-2007, 05:37 PM
:doh:

wedo
08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I haven't heard that, but that would be a huge jump! That would then be the toughest conference in football.

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2007, 05:39 PM
The radio guys here had some cockamamie idea last week about trading/booting some Big 12 teams and taking some others in. My husband was telling me about it - TCU (and maybe someone else) would be back.....all Texas schools would be the South. Then bring the Razorbacks back, boot Iowa State, maybe Colorado and send the Oklahoma schools to the North. It was wacky. :crazy1:

I haven't heard the one you did, though. Guess I'll check the sports section.

charlesrixey
08-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
:doh:

my thoughts exactly

what radio show was this?

IHStangFan
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
ADUD 99.1 "The Hippie Commune" out of Austin :D

Seriously, I don't know, but I think its a load of crap. I'll believe it when it happens.

zebrablue2
08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I heard talk about them moving on a radio show, but it was just talk.

Gsquared
08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Hahaha, now that funny stuff. That would be a nightmare for the program and Texas would NEVER even consider that move. Think of the the Texas recruits you would lose

IHStangFan
08-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Hahaha, now that funny stuff. That would be a nightmare for the program and Texas would NEVER even consider that move. Think of the the Texas recruits you would lose I pretty much have to agree

buff4life
08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
this won't happen anytime soon...i wanted to say ever but you never know these days...

Gsquared
08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
this won't happen anytime soon...i wanted to say ever but you never know these days...
They day the money doesnt matter is the day they will consider it. BIG 10 TV contracts are great but would not be near enough to cover the loss of recruiting losses, local and reg marketing etc...

Mustangpride09
08-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by wedo
I haven't heard that, but that would be a huge jump! That would then be the toughest conference in football.

The SEC would still be tougher. The reason the BIG 10 is so highly respected is because all the teams play easy schedules. You saw what happened when Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin played out of conference bowl games. Wasn't pretty.

DU_stud04
08-08-2007, 06:22 PM
bring back the swc :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

wildstangs
08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Maybe UTA and Lamar could play a game to see who will take the spot in the Big 12. :)

zebrablue2
08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
bring back the swc :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

I am all for that.

DU_stud04
08-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Maybe UTA and Lamar could play a game to see who will take the spot in the Big 12. :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

ill play for that. :D

DU_stud04
08-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I am all for that. cant remember.... im thinking it was texas a&m, texas, rice, texas tech, houston, baylor, smu, tcu and arkansas????? who am i leaving out or adding?

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
cant remember.... im thinking it was texas a&m, texas, rice, texas tech, houston, baylor, smu, tcu and arkansas????? who am i leaving out or adding?
That's all of them.

DU_stud04
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's all of them. hmmm:thinking: i guess so. i wanted to add lsu, good thing i didnt, makes me look like i know alittle about ball :)

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
I heard that the Big Ten is expanding so that they can have a conference title game since their season ends two weeks earlier than most conferences now, but I heard they would be taking a Big XII north team...prolly Iowa State would be my guess. TCU would do well in the Big XII...I'd like to see that!

Phil C
08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Texas will never get into basically an all Texas conference again. That used to hurt our recruiting when we were in the SWC. Oklahoma would point out they travel around the country to California, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, etc. One time I think they even went to Hawaii. They would point out that basically most of the Texas games were in Texas and they were right.

Darren
08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I seriously doubt that Texas moves to the big 10.

However it would be good to strengthen the Big 12 some.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 12:08 PM
texas will not change
IF TEXAS left the Big 12 would die and split up
There would not be enough money to keep the other schools going
they would all try to find another place where they could survive
Texas is going no where
just some hippie talk on a radio station

sahen
08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
that would be a logistical nightmare for Texas actually...their closest conference game would be really, really far away....

i heard that the Big 10 wanted to expand and they were looking at Mizzou actually, but I would expect the Big 10 to try to take an east coast team like Syracuse because then they could have the New York TV market w/ it....ya have to think money folks....

Darren
08-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by sahen
that would be a logistical nightmare for Texas actually...their closest conference game would be really, really far away....

i heard that the Big 10 wanted to expand and they were looking at Mizzou actually, but I would expect the Big 10 to try to take an east coast team like Syracuse because then they could have the New York TV market w/ it....ya have to think money folks....

Are you concerned at all with the talk of the Big 12 dropping Baylor for another team?

sahen
08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Are you concerned at all with the talk of the Big 12 dropping Baylor for another team?

the big 12 isnt going to drop Baylor....we are absolutely horrible at football but are decent to pretty darn good in everything else, every year there is "talk" of this but its only by fans never by the important people....

burnet44
08-09-2007, 12:24 PM
probably not
the Legislature probably wouldnt let that happen

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
the big 12 isnt going to drop Baylor....we are absolutely horrible at football but are decent to pretty darn good in everything else, every year there is "talk" of this but its only by fans never by the important people....

and Baylor has MONEY!

sahen
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
and Baylor has MONEY!

i like to see it as potential :)....now if we could just get all these baptist to stop bickering and work together we might be able to spend it a little more wisely and turn the football program back around....

JasperDog94
08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
If a north team left and TCU joined, would TCU bump somebody (OU or OSU) to the north?

hawkfan
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
texas will not change
IF TEXAS left the Big 12 would die and split up
There would not be enough money to keep the other schools going
they would all try to find another place where they could survive
Texas is going no where
just some hippie talk on a radio station

You make it sound like that if Texas disappeared tomorrow the world would come to an end. It might hurt the the Big XII a little bit, but it would not be the end of it. If Texas left, They should go after TCU or Arkansas.

sahen
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If a north team left and TCU joined, would TCU bump somebody (OU or OSU) to the north?
that would remain to be seen...breaking up the Bedlam series is something the Big 12 wouldtn want to do i dont think....i think the Big 12's first choice to replace a north team would be to get Arkansas, but I seriously doubt they would leave the SEC....if they took in TCU they might put them in the North just to keep from breaking up rivalries, but i dunno....i really dont think it will be a prob. cause i dont think anyone from the big 12 is leaving....

PHS Wildcats
08-09-2007, 04:48 PM
God forbid... but if Texas was to leave, I'm pretty sure A&M would follow, no way they are breaking them up.

sahen
08-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
You make it sound like that if Texas disappeared tomorrow the world would come to an end. It might hurt the the Big XII a little bit, but it would not be the end of it. If Texas left, They should go after TCU or Arkansas.
losing texas would probably kill the conference though in the long run...if Texas left though i think they might go Pac 10 along w/ Colorado instead of Big 10 if the Pac 10 ever expanded....the Aggies would prolly then bolt to the SEC along w/ OU and Nebraska would go to the Big 10....it'd be interesting to see what would happen then w/ the other schools....Kansas could get into a big time conference because of basketball, i dont know about the others....

sahen
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
God forbid... but if Texas was to leave, I'm pretty sure A&M would follow, no way they are breaking them up.

pre-Big12 there was talk of Texas going Pac 10 and the Aggies going SEC....its unlikely but could happen one day if the Big 12 doesnt work out in the long run....

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
losing texas would probably kill the conference though in the long run...if Texas left though i think they might go Pac 10 along w/ Colorado instead of Big 10 if the Pac 10 ever expanded....the Aggies would prolly then bolt to the SEC along w/ OU and Nebraska would go to the Big 10....it'd be interesting to see what would happen then w/ the other schools....Kansas could get into a big time conference because of basketball, i dont know about the others....

and SMU, North Texas, UTEP, Arkansas State, and Houston would all move to the Big XII!!!

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 04:53 PM
pre-Big12 there was talk of Texas going Pac 10 and the Aggies going SEC....its unlikely but could happen one day if the Big 12 doesnt work out in the long run....

The Big XII has already worked out great for more than a decade...I don't think any of the big schools have any interest in leaving. IF a team leaves, it's likely to be a Mizzou/Iowa State team that doesn't generally make noise at the top, and they would be replaced by an SMU or TCU team...most likely TCU, but I don't see any way the Big XII would ever fall apart.

sahen
08-09-2007, 04:53 PM
and SMU, North Texas, UTEP, Arkansas State, and Houston would all move to the Big XII!!!

well i guess Baylor would get to go bowling again if that happened but I dont think I'd be too excited about that personally....lol

sahen
08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
The Big XII has already worked out great for more than a decade...I don't think any of the big schools have any interest in leaving. IF a team leaves, it's likely to be a Mizzou/Iowa State team that doesn't generally make noise at the top, and they would be replaced by an SMU or TCU team...most likely TCU, but I don't see any way the Big XII would ever fall apart.

yah i wasn't implying that the big 12 would break up, i was just saying that if it did break up i wouldnt be surprised to see the Aggies and Horns split because in the past there was talks of it happening....

crzyjournalist03
08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
well i guess Baylor would get to go bowling again if that happened but I dont think I'd be too excited about that personally....lol

UNT-Baylor have had some great games the last few years!

But yeah, that would suck.

sahen
08-09-2007, 04:56 PM
UNT-Baylor have had some great games the last few years!

But yeah, that would suck.

haha, we havent played in a few years but werent they all blowouts? Baylor normally won by a good bit but the one time North Texas beat us they thumped us good.....

Gobbla2001
08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I say put colorado somewhere else, WAC or something... their whole program disturbs me, they're really not very good... bump one of the oklahomas up to the North, replace that oklahoma program with TCU... then if the Big 10 takes Iowa State (which I am sure they will, makes sense having both Iowa universities in the same confrence), replace Iowa State with Arkansas (some say Arkansas wants to stay in the SEC... not me, I think they want to try new things)...

we'll let the SEC sort out the Arkansas replacement etc...

sahen
08-09-2007, 05:03 PM
colorado was good until they changed ADs, in my opinion their new AD is killing their athletics programs....

burnet44
08-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Arkansas might want to get out of the meat grinder SEC
Going Big 12 or 10 or 11 or whatever
would be good for tehm
The SEC is tough

Cameron Crazy
08-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Texas will not leave the Big 12.

Thats the most rediculous thing I have heard today!

big daddy russ
08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I doubt UT would ever move to the Big Ten. Iowa's the closest school. SEC would make more sense.

rockdale80
08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I doubt UT would ever move to the Big Ten. Iowa's the closest school. SEC would make more sense.

The Big 12 has 5 out of the last 11 NC titles. I think it is a pretty solid conference.

burnet44
08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
if you count shared

Florida: BCS

Texas: AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, Colley Matrix, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FW, Massey, Matthews, NFF, Sagarin (ELO-Chess), Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN, Wolfe
Southern California: Harris

Southern California : AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Massey, Matthews, NFF, NY Times, Sagarin, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN, Wolfe

LSU: BCS, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, Massey, NFF, Sagarin, Seattle Times, USA/ESPN
Oklahoma: Berryman
Southern California: AP, Eck, Matthews, NY Times

Ohio State: AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Massey, NFF, NY Times, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN, Wolfe
Southern California: Dunkel, Matthews, Sagarin

Miami (Fla.): AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Massey, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sagarin, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN, Wolfe

Oklahoma: AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Massey, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sagarin, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN

Florida St.: AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Massey, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sagarin, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN

Ohio St.: Sagarin
Tennessee: Alderson, AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN

Michigan: AP, FB News, FW, National Championship Foundation*, NFF, Sporting News
Nebraska: Alderson, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, Matthews, National Championship Foundation*, NY Times, Sagarin, Seattle Times, USA/ESPN

Florida: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, NFF, Sagarin, Sporting News, USA/CNN, NY Times, National Championship Foundation, Dunkel, Matthews, DeVold
Florida St.: Alderson

Nebraska : Alderson, AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN

Florida St.: Dunkel
Nebraska: Alderson, AP, Berryman, Billingsley, FACT*, FB News, FW, National Championship Foundation*, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN, USA/NFF
Penn St.: DeVold, Eck, FACT*, Matthews, National Championship Foundation*, NY Times, Sagarin

Auburn: National Championship Foundation*
Florida St.: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, National Championship Foundation*, NY Times, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN ,USA/NFF
Nebraska : National Championship Foundation*
Notre Dame: Matthews, National Championship Foundation*

Alabama: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NY Times, Sporting News, UPI/NFF, USA/CNN
Florida St.: Sagarin

Miami (Fla.): AP, Eck, Football Research, National Championship Foundation*, NY Times, Sporting News
Washington: Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, FB News, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation*, Sagarin, UPI/NFF, USA/CNN

Colorado: AP, Berryman, DeVold, FACT*, FB News, Football Research, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation*, NFF, Sporting News, USA/CNN
Georgia Tech: Dunkel, FACT*, National Championship Foundation*, UPI
Miami (Fla.): Billingsley, Eck, FACT*, NY Times, Sagarin
Washington: FACT*

Miami (Fla.): AP, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT*, FB News, Football Research, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN
Notre Dame: Berryman, Eck, FACT*, Sagarin

Miami (Fla.): Berryman
Notre Dame: AP, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN

Florida St.: Berryman, Sagarin
Miami (Fla.): AP, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN

Miami (Fla.): FACT*
Oklahoma: Berryman, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, NY Times, Sagarin
Penn St.: AP, Billingsley, FACT*, FB News, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN

Michigan: Matthews, Sagarin
Oklahoma: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN

Brigham Young: AP, Football Research, FW, National Championship Foundation*, NFF, Poling, UPI, USA/CNN
Florida: Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, Matthews, NY Times, Sagarin, Sporting News
Nebraska: Litkenhous
Washington: Berryman, FB News, National Championship Foundation*

Auburn : FACT*, Football Research, NY Times
Miami (Fla.): AP, Billingsley, Dunkel, FB News, FW, National Championship Foundation, NFF, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN
Nebraska: Berryman, DeVold, FACT*, Litkenhous, Matthews, Poling, Sagarin

Nebraska: Berryman
Penn St.: AP, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, Helms*, Litkenhous, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Poling, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN
Southern Methodist: Helms*

Clemson: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, Helms, Litkenhous, Matthews, National Championship Foundation*, NFF, NY Times, Poling, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI
Nebraska: National Championship Foundation*
Penn St.: Dunkel
Pittsburgh: National Championship Foundation*
Texas: National Championship Foundation*
Southern Methodist: National Championship Foundation*

Bulldog_12
08-10-2007, 01:20 AM
The biggest rumor I have heard was that Iowa St. would join the Big Ten with Colorado moving to the Pac 10. This would move OU and OSU to the North and would still keep rivalries together but also maybe bring in a few such as TCU and Arkie. That would really even out both divisions and make the Big 12 a real power conference. It wouldn't be a bad move IMO.

Old Tiger
08-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by wedo
I haven't heard that, but that would be a huge jump! That would then be the toughest conference in football. Definately not. Top heavy conference for sure, SEC is way tougher, I would even take the PAC-10 as a tougher conference.

Funk-d-fied
08-10-2007, 09:47 AM
there is no way this would ever happen.... come on guys, it's a radio host.

Funk-d-fied
08-10-2007, 09:51 AM
from the dallas morning news...

Does anyone really think Texas would go to the Big Ten? No official at UT wanted to be quoted, probably out of respect for Delany. But one after the other took turns listing reasons why Texas joining a bunch of schools 1,000 miles away made absolutely no sense.

Foremost, Texas is one of the haves in a league that operates with unequal revenue sharing. If Texas is on national TV for football, it gets an appearance fee from the Big 12 that it doesn't have to share with havenots such as Iowa State and Baylor.

It will take a super majority of nine votes in the league to change that formula. Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas A&M stand to reap the most benefit and thus have no reason to change things.

crzyjournalist03
08-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
The biggest rumor I have heard was that Iowa St. would join the Big Ten with Colorado moving to the Pac 10. This would move OU and OSU to the North and would still keep rivalries together but also maybe bring in a few such as TCU and Arkie. That would really even out both divisions and make the Big 12 a real power conference. It wouldn't be a bad move IMO.

let's just think about this though...Arkansas would then be in the south, but they're further north than OK.

JasperDog94
08-10-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't want Arkansas back in a conference with Texas. Arkansas used to be good when they could recruit heavily in Texas. After they joined the SEC, they stunk for quite awhile before being good here lately. The last thing I want is Arkie to be able to recruit Texas hard again.

g$$
08-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12

I have heard this too down the road. TCU moving into the Big 12 is definitely a possibility. Texas is going nowhere but did flirt with the Big 10 upon inception of the Big 12 in the mid '90s.

Bulldog_12
08-10-2007, 05:35 PM
let's just think about this though...Arkansas would then be in the south, but they're further north than OK.

But you would keep rivalries together while making one more big one happen. Texas and Arkie would be huge every year and you could also see a Texas/OU Big 12 Championship. But I doubt anyone would care to watch that. It works out very well for the conference this way. Strengthen the North while making a lot more interesting scenarios through the course of the year.

charlesrixey
08-10-2007, 06:48 PM
why is this thread still here?

this isn't ever going to happen

bevo
08-11-2007, 01:50 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA081405.3N.SWCbaylor.tech.1ca3e1c.html

UT & ATM aren't going anywhere. They are reaping the benefits (multi-millions annually) since uniting into the Big XII. Although...versus what SMU, TCU, Houston or Rice brings to the table. But someone like Arkansas would definitely bring more money into the conference with their large alumni base, provided that they stay competitive. But they’ll defiantly recruit even more out of Texas…just like OU and OSU.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2007/jul/12/pac-10-or-big-12-best-for-buffs/

Since Colorado has resented the unification of the four SWC teams to the Big 8...That would be great if they dropped out and went to the MAC, WAC or PAC, where ever...and bring a formidable foe such as an Arkansas...

Although I don’t think that these two will ever leave the SEC…at least anytime soon, but just think how powerful the conference would be if say Alabama or LSU was to join with Arkansas into the BIG XII?

Who-dun-it!!?
08-11-2007, 04:05 AM
Not!!