PDA

View Full Version : Rixey is finally moving!

charlesrixey
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
But....

it is a bittersweet time

In order to complete my last year of school and maintain my growing family (i was a senior at UTD when i joined the Marine Corps), i have re-enlisted

I had hoped to return to Texas in this fall, but there were no spots available to me without going into the active reserve (hard to explain but not the best deal at this point in time)

By staying in, i am moving to Quantico, Virginia in October/early November to work as an NBC instructor at MSG Battalion (training/supporting the Marines who guard the embassies around the world) for another four years

Since my son (first boy, third and last kid--and the first one i will be there for when it is born) will be born next month, i couldn't afford risking leaving the service to finish school and become a firefighter just yet (my dream job) and still work full time, and since i will continue to have free medical/dental, housing, and 30 days off a year, plus a 30K bonus and a tour with a non-deployable unit (it's about time!), all while finishing my bachelor's for free and work towards my masters while still doing some good, i had to 'very painfully' choose to stay away from Texas (and my football) for another four years

This board will continue to remain my link to the hinterland, and i thank all of you for helping to bring me that little bit of Tejas every day

I really miss Texas, and i know one day soon i will return back there for good (instead of just for holidays), but it is sad to know that home is still quite far away

However, i know that it is worth it, and that eventually my family and i will be back home where we belong; after all, that is what i've fought for since the beginning.

that's what keeps me going

3afan
08-08-2007, 05:21 PM
cool --- good luck!

IHStangFan
08-08-2007, 05:41 PM
right on bud! way to cover your own 6.

luvhoops34
08-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Sounds like you've got the world by the tail, except for being in Texas. Northern Virginia is a beautiful place. Enjoy.

charlesrixey
08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Sounds like you've got the world by the tail, except for being in Texas.

:(

yep

but i shall return one day!!!

luvhoops34
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Are you going to live in base housing? If not, do you get an extra housing allowance for that area?

charlesrixey
08-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Are you going to live in base housing? If not, do you get an extra housing allowance for that area?

yes for both of them

although i have to wait six months to get to on base housing, so we will scrape by (man that place is expensive) until that happens

already have a 4 bedroom, 2300 sqft house waiting for us in the spring, as soon as we move on base!

out in town, the best we can get for what we get in housing allowance is 1150 sqft, 3 bedrooms!

luvhoops34
08-08-2007, 06:40 PM
That area is a high dollar place to live.

charlesrixey
08-08-2007, 10:23 PM
the housing market there is rediculous

my sister has a house near manassas that has nearly doubled in value since she bought it six years ago

you can't find any house (even the small ones that are less than 100,000 in dallas) for less than 250,000

BILLYFRED0000
08-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
But....

it is a bittersweet time

In order to complete my last year of school and maintain my growing family (i was a senior at UTD when i joined the Marine Corps), i have re-enlisted

I had hoped to return to Texas in this fall, but there were no spots available to me without going into the active reserve (hard to explain but not the best deal at this point in time)

By staying in, i am moving to Quantico, Virginia in October/early November to work as an NBC instructor at MSG Battalion (training/supporting the Marines who guard the embassies around the world) for another four years

Since my son (first boy, third and last kid--and the first one i will be there for when it is born) will be born next month, i couldn't afford risking leaving the service to finish school and become a firefighter just yet (my dream job) and still work full time, and since i will continue to have free medical/dental, housing, and 30 days off a year, plus a 30K bonus and a tour with a non-deployable unit (it's about time!), all while finishing my bachelor's for free and work towards my masters while still doing some good, i had to 'very painfully' choose to stay away from Texas (and my football) for another four years

This board will continue to remain my link to the hinterland, and i thank all of you for helping to bring me that little bit of Tejas every day

I really miss Texas, and i know one day soon i will return back there for good (instead of just for holidays), but it is sad to know that home is still quite far away

However, i know that it is worth it, and that eventually my family and i will be back home where we belong; after all, that is what i've fought for since the beginning.

that's what keeps me going

Hang in there bud. You know what it is like here and now. Bunch of orange helmets flooding the field. Footballs tossed here and there. People hanging round practice. QB club planning some BBQ! Everybody on the team talking about finishing what they did not last year. And boy do they seem to feel it and mean it. Practice already looking like they mean business and they aren't even in pads yet. Coaches Barking. Players barfin. Hot Sweaty,
Sticky, but no grass stains. Kinda miss that part. You can smell the games coming. You can smell the wind turning. It's time for some Celina Bobcat wupass to be served another year.

luvhoops34
08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
the housing market there is rediculous

my sister has a house near manassas that has nearly doubled in value since she bought it six years ago

you can't find any house (even the small ones that are less than 100,000 in dallas) for less than 250,000

We were up there on vacation and talked to some people that live there. They told us the same thing. Crazy.

44INAROW
08-08-2007, 11:38 PM
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and are thinking ahead and making plans that will benefit your family for years to come. I know you are so excited for the birth of the "man child" - I can't wait for the pictures......... ;)

charlesrixey
08-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and are thinking ahead and making plans that will benefit your family for years to come. I know you are so excited for the birth of the "man child" - I can't wait for the pictures......... ;)

i will keep you posted as things happen next month!

and of course, if i know my wife, there will be pictures!

thank goodness i don't have to watch it on DVD this time!

I'm so excited!