PDA

View Full Version : Andrews Mustangs...

Funk-d-fied
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.oaoa.com/sports/andrews_5943___article.html/season_springston.html
ANDREWS Two-a-days are not meant to be fun.

The hours of practice are done under the hot sun, often on artificial fields where sweat pours like floodwaters.

For Andrews football coach Blaine Springston, the opening of practice was not difficult at all.

Springston recently announced that he will resign from coaching at the end of the 2007-08 season after spending 30 years roaming the sidelines. Andrews opens the season Aug. 31 by hosting Midland Christian.

“It was status quo (Monday),” he said. “What will be strange is next season when that first day comes around. Only time will tell if it will hit me during the season or not.”

Springston has coached in Andrews for 14 years, and this will be his sixth as head coach.

“I have a lot of respect for Blaine,” said David Mitchell, the Andrews ISD superintendent. “He has been here quite awhile. He is a good man ... we respect his wishes and hope him the very best. I don’t what his future is, but he will do well.”

Springston has compiled a 25-28 record at Andrews and a 69-71 record overall. He led the Mus-tangs to the Class 3A Division I quarterfinals in 2006, and he guided the 2003 team to an unde-feated, state-ranked regular season.

He also coached current NFL player Shaud Williams, a running back with the Buffalo Bills.

“You always hope your last year will be the best,” Springston said. “But it is always about rela-tions with players. There are always great games and ones you don’t want to remember, but when it is all said and done, it is about the relationships.”

Springston, who watched over Andrews’ transition to Class 3A and several improvements to its athletic facilities, will hang it up for good in June.

“It hasn’t been a plan, just something in the back of my mind,” he said. “I interviewed for a couple of jobs in January (Southlake Carroll and Belton), and I thought it might be time to retire.”

Mitchell said the district has not begun to consider the next head coach and athletics director.

“It’s a great 3A job,” Mitchell said. “We won’t even look at it until the season is behind us and we can sit down and take a long look at it.”

Snyder_TigerFan
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
" ... we respect his wishes and hope him the very best. I don’t what his future is, but he will do well.”

ehh? Not very well spoken for a superintendent.:)

Funk-d-fied
08-08-2007, 01:39 PM
my thoughts exactly

Txbroadcaster
08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Or it was paraphrased badly by the writer

Johnny Utah
08-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Misprint by the paper I am sure. Wonder if the DC will get a shot, he is an Andrews boy and a very good coach!!!