PDA

View Full Version : needville predictions?

thaville2109
08-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Needville has high expectations goin into this season. Everybody around town is expecting a run for a state title. ever since the junior and senior class has hit the football field in junior they have been waiting for this yea imparticular. just lookin for some feedback on wat yall think the outlook is for them?

IHStangFan
08-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Needville is gonna wreck shop in district. After that, it's anybody's guess. I think they are definately playoff bound this year.

Old Tiger
08-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Needville....never heard of them. Fill me in! :)

IHStangFan
08-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Needville....never heard of them. Fill me in! :) District 24 w/ West Columbia, Sealy, Wharton, Sweeny just to name a few. Went 7-3 last year and didnt even make the playoffs.

Old Tiger
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
My district pick;
1. Wharton
2. Needville
3. Sweeny

IHStangFan
08-07-2007, 11:39 PM
My district pick;
1. Wharton
2. Needville
3. Sweeny Wharton had several key losses, as did Sweeny, Needville on the other hand lost nobody. I'll take that bet. If Wharton wins district 24 I'll put anything you want me to in my sig line. If Needville wins the district you have to put what I want in YOUR sig line. :)

Old Tiger
08-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Wharton had several key losses, as did Sweeny, Needville on the other hand lost nobody. I'll take that bet. If Wharton wins district 24 I'll put anything you want me to in my sig line. If Needville wins the district you have to put what I want in YOUR sig line. :) I'm not much of a gambler unless it's poker. ;) Also I don't know anything about any team in this district except what I saw on the district page.

IHStangFan
08-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm not much of a gambler unless it's poker. ;) LOL, just giving ya the chance to go "all in" :p

IHStangFan
08-07-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm not much of a gambler unless it's poker. ;) Also I don't know anything about any team in this district except what I saw on the district page. Last year Wharton had a QB/WR combo that made them tick, and Sweeny had Tank Carder of course....all of which are gone. Needville has a RB in Thaddeus Wilkerson who will have a 1000+yd season no doubt. Needville went 7-3 last year w/ Wilkerson as a Soph (I believe he was a soph). They knocked off a good 4a Port Lavaca team that POUNDED state semi eventual Ingleside. I'd have to say Needville is going to look pretty good in District 24 this year.

maestro
08-08-2007, 05:56 AM
needville WILL win state....

they have it all.......

fireman1
08-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Needville will make a run for the D-championship but as for state I dont think so. Wharton lost its QB/WR combo and some other key players but I think they will still make the playoffs Wharton has a fight in them which will not let them give up.

wedo
08-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by maestro

they have it all.......

Yeah Right!!! Needville will be good, might win the district, but there is no way they even get out of region III. With Giddings, WOS just to name a few.

tigerpride_08
08-08-2007, 02:53 PM
they may win District but as just said Region 3 is the hardest in 3A!....they will play talent deeper in the playoffs that they won't be able to see during the season...

IHStangFan
08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
they may win District but as just said Region 3 is the hardest in 3A!....they will play talent deeper in the playoffs that they won't be able to see during the season... asgreed, I have WOS favored to make a champ. appearance, perhaps Giddings. Both from Reg. III.

thaville2109
08-08-2007, 06:08 PM
needville is gonna go undefeated 10-0 and goin into the playoffs. sweeny and wharton will make playoffs as well makin needville go division 1. needville in division 1 WILL make a state title run. trust me on this one yall always talkin bout thadeus wilkerson which is well deserved he will have a 2,000+ yards season but we have a few other backs who can certanly eat up yards that nobody knows about. and that defense lead by greg manville state championship is in r sights

Centextrash
08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Not to bust on the land of the friendly people, but the only way the Jays can have a run is if they do go to Div 1. Div 2 will be loaded with Giddings, WOS, Liberty Hill, Kirbyville, etc. Div 1 may not be a cake walk either with Hutto, Robinson, Navasota (?), and Silsbee. Region 3 is a tough region. I hear the Jays are loaded, and I wish them the best.....unless they play someone I know!

buff4life
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM

they have it all.......

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tigerpride_08
08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by thaville2109
needville is gonna go undefeated 10-0 and goin into the playoffs. sweeny and wharton will make playoffs as well makin needville go division 1. needville in division 1 WILL make a state title run. trust me on this one yall always talkin bout thadeus wilkerson which is well deserved he will have a 2,000+ yards season but we have a few other backs who can certanly eat up yards that nobody knows about. and that defense lead by greg manville state championship is in r sights

to some extent this is all right but even going D1 won't be good for them...some point during playoffs they will expierence athletes who will blow past them! i understand they bring back Thad but he can only carry the team so far...

Uncle Buck
08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
GO BLUE BIRDS!!!!!!

There will be much bell ringing and goat loving for the freindly peoples of Jay Bird land. Natties all around.

:kiss:

necks_c/09
08-08-2007, 10:59 PM
state title run......?

10-0?

beating giddings?

are all these a reality.....

maybe if needville plays to their potential but what happens if they experience the slightest bit of injury or something....

honestly... i dont think they will ever make it deep in the playoffs without merritt as their coach....

wilkerson is very good and the defense is above average....

but for me...lack of playoff experience and a sub par regular season schedule is what will keep them back..

they will run into a brick wall after playing much of the season in cruise control....

someone will shut them down 2-3 rounds deep....

thaville2109
08-08-2007, 11:44 PM
im a player on the team and yes thad is very very good but we have 3 other backs who are also very good 1 of the players runs a 4.39 another is the most explosive back we have had and another brings both speed and some nastyness 2 him wen he has the ball.defense will b keyin on thad but not 4 2 long becuz these other guys will hurt them. the whole offensive line is back besides one guy the running game will b one of the most dominant in the state. and talk about depth in the recieving and secondary core we r 2 and in some spots 3 deep. we might not have as much talent as say giddings wos etc. but we have a lot of heart and work r ass off all year and we wont ever quit and we play together as a team. and that is wats gonna carry us threw the playoffs

IHStangFan
08-09-2007, 01:31 AM
im a player on the team and yes thad is very very good but we have 3 other backs who are also very good 1 of the players runs a 4.39 another is the most explosive back we have had and another brings both speed and some nastyness 2 him wen he has the ball.defense will b keyin on thad but not 4 2 long becuz these other guys will hurt them. the whole offensive line is back besides one guy the running game will b one of the most dominant in the state. and talk about depth in the recieving and secondary core we r 2 and in some spots 3 deep. we might not have as much talent as say giddings wos etc. but we have a lot of heart and work r ass off all year and we wont ever quit and we play together as a team. and that is wats gonna carry us threw the playoffs PREACH IT BROTHA BLUE JAY!!!

themsu97
08-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Is NEedville good on paper... heck yeah... do they have the potential to be very good... yep... and right now that is all we have... nothing is certain... they have one of the best backs in the state and that is a very big plus... problem people are having on the board is that nobody has padded up yet and everyone wants to jock their own team which is fine...
if you do not believe that right now Needville is a threat to make a great run, you are kidding yourself... but we all know things can happen... let the chips fall where they may and the Jays will have a great season...

rancher
08-09-2007, 07:22 AM
On paper, Needville is the team to beat. However, I predict they will get beat somewhere along the line. They may beat the district 23 rep. but if they go to the WOS district that is the end of the line.

fireman1
08-09-2007, 08:03 AM
I dont think anyone in this district is going 10-0 this year things happen some teams get the breaks and sometimes teams play down to what they can so to say Needville is going 10-0 is hard to say as of right now

Centextrash
08-09-2007, 05:51 PM
I'd give the Jays 10-0. I think they win district..if they beat Wharton. In fact, I will say 11-1, 12-1, or even 13-1. of course all is depending upon Div 1 or 2. This district proved last year that it is tough with the runs that Columbia and Sweeny had, so I can see the same from the Jays!

I'm not trying to start a fight but:
4.39? IS that down hill with a stiff wind?
Which coach Timed that one? lol
Funny, I didn't see that at the region track meet. :thinking:
I guess I can take your word for it....if nothing else that is very Fast!

Good Luck to the Jays!

say...everyone is talking about their backs...What does the O-line look like? Better than last year?

On you Bluejays..
On you Bluejays...

tigerpride_08
08-09-2007, 06:39 PM
im a player on the team and yes thad is very very good but we have 3 other backs who are also very good 1 of the players runs a 4.39 another is the most explosive back we have had and another brings both speed and some nastyness 2 him wen he has the ball.defense will b keyin on thad but not 4 2 long becuz these other guys will hurt them. the whole offensive line is back besides one guy the running game will b one of the most dominant in the state. and talk about depth in the recieving and secondary core we r 2 and in some spots 3 deep. we might not have as much talent as say giddings wos etc. but we have a lot of heart and work r ass off all year and we wont ever quit and we play together as a team. and that is wats gonna carry us threw the playoffs

alot of teams can say most of that stuff...we're 2 or 3 deep in spots and we also are showing alot of hard work and the ability to learn...but as said, lack of playoff expierence will hurt...ya'll might go 2-3 rounds easy but then ya'll win find trouble...

Crow22
08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash
I'd give the Jays 10-0. I think they win district..if they beat Wharton. In fact, I will say 11-1, 12-1, or even 13-1. of course all is depending upon Div 1 or 2. This district proved last year that it is tough with the runs that Columbia and Sweeny had, so I can see the same from the Jays!

Good Luck to the Jays!

say...everyone is talking about their backs...What does the O-line look like? Better than last year?

On you Bluejays..
On you Bluejays...

We just want to go 1-0 first.....

the 4.39 kid is a sophomore.....

10-0, state title, district championship....all that stuff is going to be decided on the actual field....not in message rooms.

fireman1
08-09-2007, 11:57 PM
well I hope Wharton makes a playoff run then anyone else in this district can get in I think its goin to be Needville and Sweeny makin it with Wharton

Mustangpride09
08-10-2007, 12:03 AM

All these nasty backs were on the roster last year? You know, when they didn't even make the playoffs.

thaville2109
08-10-2007, 12:14 AM
yall all r right bout provin it on the field. anything can happen injuries and mishaps and all that stuff. and r backs just watch yall will c wat im talkin bout we got some kids back who wasnt on the roster last year. and the o line is returning everbody besides 1 guard. running game has so many options with 1 of the best backs in the state leading the way

Mustangpride09
08-10-2007, 12:32 AM
yall all r right bout provin it on the field. anything can happen injuries and mishaps and all that stuff. and r backs just watch yall will c wat im talkin bout we got some kids back who wasnt on the roster last year. and the o line is returning everbody besides 1 guard. running game has so many options with 1 of the best backs in the state leading the way

Have you ever actually been outside of Needville?

IHStangFan
08-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
All these nasty backs were on the roster last year? You know, when they didn't even make the playoffs. thats a loaded question. Yeah, Needville didn't make the playoffs last year and was 7-3....yet there was a team out of the valley that was 2-8 and DID make the playoffs. So with that being said, its just as much the district you play in as how good your team is when it comes to "making the playoffs" and this district was pretty stacked last year as a whole.

Mustangpride09
08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
thats a loaded question. Yeah, Needville didn't make the playoffs last year and was 7-3....yet there was a team out of the valley that was 2-8 and DID make the playoffs. So with that being said, its just as much the district you play in as how good your team is when it comes to "making the playoffs" and this district was pretty stacked last year as a whole.

Thats all great and dandy, but has nothing to do with the point. When your(not you personally) team can't make the playoffs, then the following year you come on here spouting about how much talent you have and how your state bound etc. etc. It kinda makes you look like a fool.

IHStangFan
08-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Thats all great and dandy, but has nothing to do with the point. When your(not you personally) team can't make the playoffs, then the following year you come on here spouting about how much talent you have and how your state bound etc. etc. It kinda makes you look like a fool. the point is there are circumstances that lead up to things such as this...such as...as pointed out, this is a tough district, alot of good talent last year...evenly distributed, it wasnt a one sided district where there was a clear cut D1 and D2 rep at week 5...it was fought out in the trenches. Also, for instance..Wharton, big key losses, Sweeny MAJOR key losses, West Columbia, key losses, Needville...lost nobody. I was never claiming a state title won, but they are the clear favorite to win the district. Some districts are pushovers, some are not...this one is not. Whoever earns a playoff spot...EARNS it. Baring injury Needville WILL take the district 24 title this year. Mustangpride huh? WOS? They are my personal preseason pick to make a state run this year, you can search and look it up, said it over a week ago. BUT, you dont have to come in hating on some kid that believes their team has what it takes to do the same. Believing and being confident in your abilities is not a crime, and is 80% of being successful in anything you do, including suiting up and playing football on fri. night. So cut the kid some slack and see how the season plays out.

Mustangpride09
08-10-2007, 01:00 AM
the point is there are circumstances that lead up to things such as this...such as...as pointed out, this is a tough district, alot of good talent last year...evenly distributed, it wasnt a one sided district where there was a clear cut D1 and D2 rep at week 5...it was fought out in the trenches. Also, for instance..Wharton, big key losses, Sweeny MAJOR key losses, West Columbia, key losses, Needville...lost nobody. I was never claiming a state title won, but they are the clear favorite to win the district. Some districts are pushovers, some are not...this one is not. Whoever earns a playoff spot...EARNS it. Baring injury Needville WILL take the district 24 title this year. Mustangpride huh? WOS? They are my personal preseason pick to make a state run this year, you can search and look it up, said it over a week ago. BUT, you dont have to come in hating on some kid that believes their team has what it takes to do the same. Believing and being confident in your abilities is not a crime, and is 80% of being successful in anything you do, including suiting up and playing football on fri. night. So cut the kid some slack and see how the season plays out.

1. I never said you were claiming a state title.
2. I got to Sweetwater, not WOS.
3. Believing and boasting are two different things.

IHStangFan
08-10-2007, 01:06 AM
1. I never said you were claiming a state title.
2. I got to Sweetwater, not WOS.
3. Believing and boasting are two different things. then what are you disputing and or upset about? Also...its funny that you are the only one getting wound up at his claims. The kid says theyre gonna win district and make a playoff run. He described their running game and backfield, and claimed they are very good. Where's the problem? Was it the claimed 4.39 speed in the backfield. I know you out in West Texas aren't used to seeing that, but in the Houston area it's the norm. Good luck w/ your season this year. Beat Snyder.

Mustangpride09
08-10-2007, 01:14 AM
then what are you disputing and or upset about? Also...its funny that you are the only one getting wound up at his claims. The kid says theyre gonna win district and make a playoff run. He described their running game and backfield, and claimed they are very good. Where's the problem? Was it the claimed 4.39 speed in the backfield. I know you out in West Texas aren't used to seeing that, but in the Houston area it's the norm. Good luck w/ your season this year. Beat Snyder.

First off, i've played two seasons with the 3A 100M state champ. I know all about speed. Now, He is making claims with nothing to back them up. Talking about having one of the best backs in the state, unbelievable depth, where was this depth last year? So they beat up on some valley teams, but when it comes to district they cant hang. Now I don't know what the season has held for them, but what my overall message is, is that there is more to Texas than just the valley, and until Needville GOES somewhere or DOES something, there really isnt anything to brag about.

IHStangFan
08-10-2007, 01:32 AM
First off, i've played two seasons with the 3A 100M state champ. I know all about speed. Now, He is making claims with nothing to back them up. Talking about having one of the best backs in the state, unbelievable depth, where was this depth last year? So they beat up on some valley teams, but when it comes to district they cant hang. Now I don't know what the season has held for them, but what my overall message is, is that there is more to Texas than just the valley, and until Needville GOES somewhere or DOES something, there really isnt anything to brag about. I see where youre trying to go...but as for valley teams...there wasnt a valley team on Needville's schedule last year. Needville is 25 miles from Houston, so they don't fall into the "valley" catagory. Theyre not even in the same region. As far as your depth question...Needville was a bunch of Sophs last year for one thing. They are a young team. On top of that, as I've stated several times before, their season schedule is a tough one. District 24 was stacked last year from top to bottom. Needville, Sweeny, Wharton, West Columbia, etc. etc. Last year it was anybody's title for the taking. Its not one of these districts where you win 3 games and youre in the playoffs. 7-3, in this district w/ a young team such as Needville is pretty decent, and then to not make the playoffs. They went over and beat up on a good 4A Port Lavaca team that TOUNCED eventual State semi finalist Ingleside. Basically Needville's playoff run was based on beating Wharton as theyre was a debocle in the "who beat who" area. Blah blah blah. They are good, and will be good this year as well. I do not doubt the speed of the backfield for a second, as like I stated, this is Houston. I guess now all we can do is wait and see. Heck, maybe we'll get to see a Needville/Sweetwater matchup deep in the playoffs. Needville has a tough road though to get there. The neighboring districts around here are loaded w/ the likes of Giddings, WOS, etc. etc.

fireman1
08-10-2007, 10:28 AM
last year 24-3A was one of the toughest districts in 3A. 7-3 is a very good season but like stated before this district was fighting for the title till the end basically. Unlike other teams where if you win a couple district games you clinch a playoff spot 24-3A is different and some ppl dont get it. 4.39 speed in this area is common unlike in West Texas. Needville has a chance to go deep into the playoffs but it will be hard but thats what the playoffs is all about if not the it wouldnt be fun. Yes lack of experience will have an effect but that can be takin care of its just any other game just that if you lose you go home and there is twice as much ppl there.

buff4life
08-10-2007, 11:46 AM
not to start anything more...but with the district being so good 63-14 doesn't look so good either...

IHStangFan
08-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
not to start anything more...but with the district being so good 63-14 doesn't look so good either... let me correct one word in your statement...change so "good" to so "balanced" and you'll be on the right track .

themsu97
08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
sorry buff, but you were the only team from your district to advance past the first round so winning 2 out of 3 makes Needville's district tougher... Sweeny and Columbia went deep last year... as did Giddings but hey...
Hey Crow, liking it where I am at but I sure miss you guys...

Crow22
08-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
sorry buff, but you were the only team from your district to advance past the first round so winning 2 out of 3 makes Needville's district tougher... Sweeny and Columbia went deep last year... as did Giddings but hey...
Hey Crow, liking it where I am at but I sure miss you guys...

I hear ya msu....me too dude....

Things are really looking good so far....hopefully we can stay healthy...

g$$
08-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Good Luck to the Jays!

On you Bluejays..
On you Bluejays...

Good post & agreed. Is Coach Ringo on the stopwatch for a 4.39 40 (Sweeny humor)?

Needville is the favorite on paper. We'll have to see how it turns out on the field.

Do the talking on the field with results, not empty words 'Jays!

Centextrash
08-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Crow - You are absolutely right about going 1-0! We are looking to do the same as well. Good luck!

4.39 the "Norm" around Houston.... 4.39 is not the Norm anywhere. 4.49 or 4.5 sure, 4.39? I do know about the Speed in Southeast Texas, but 4.39 is EXCEPTIONAL, not the Norm.

Most of the O-line returning sounds great for what the Jays do on Offense. Having a returning O-line helps in a wing T system. Having a returning O-line, with Wilkerson should make the jays tough to stop.

G$$ - It must have been Al....you know it wasn't Melvin!

Centextrash
08-10-2007, 06:54 PM
not to start anything more...but with the district being so good 63-14 doesn't look so good either...

You did play the 3rd place team in that district. I agree, District 24-3A went 2-1 vs. 23-3a....scoreboard 24-3A.
Although NEITHER Columbia or Sweeny would have beaten Giddings.

IHStangFan
08-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Crow - You are absolutely right about going 1-0! We are looking to do the same as well. Good luck!

4.39 the "Norm" around Houston.... 4.39 is not the Norm anywhere. 4.49 or 4.5 sure, 4.39? I do know about the Speed in Southeast Texas, but 4.39 is EXCEPTIONAL, not the Norm.

Most of the O-line returning sounds great for what the Jays do on Offense. Having a returning O-line helps in a wing T system. Having a returning O-line, with Wilkerson should make the jays tough to stop.

G$$ - It must have been Al....you know it wasn't Melvin! 4.39 not the norm? Maybe you missed my point, SPEED is the norm around these there parts.....would you like me to quote some examples?? OKAY, glad you asked.

Lets take a look at the state track meet results.....for example...4 out of the 8 100m finalists were from the Houston area...better yet...lets see where the teams were from that finished 1st for each classification.....5A state champs...Fort Bend Hightower, 4a state champs....Copperas Cove (not Houston area) w/ 3 of the top 5 teams being from Houston area...3a...Region III as a whole very well represented. 2a...not too many 2a schools near Houston, but Wallis was 5th and Region III still had a strong showing as a whole....etc. etc....and there again my point is made....much more speed in this area than say West Texas...mainly due to being alot less populated...blah blah blah...You get my point.

IHStangFan
08-10-2007, 07:22 PM
You did play the 3rd place team in that district. I agree, District 24-3A went 2-1 vs. 23-3a....scoreboard 24-3A.
Although NEITHER Columbia or Sweeny would have beaten Giddings. How do you know?

thaville2109
08-10-2007, 08:28 PM
all of yall have good points really i guess we will just have 2 c how it plays oout this year. and actually 2day r starting tailback quit the team....wat an idiot

thaville2109
08-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Have you ever actually been outside of Needville?

yea kid needville is like only a mile big lol and we r right next 2 houston of course i been outside of needville. im on a showcase team 4 baseball we travel everywhere in the summer. have u ever been outside of sweetwater?

tigerpride_08
08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
all of yall have good points really i guess we will just have 2 c how it plays oout this year. and actually 2day r starting tailback quit the team....wat an idiot

that could be a big blow if he doesn't return...

Crow22
08-10-2007, 11:53 PM

I'm about 100% sure he wasn't going to be our starting tailback. He's never even suited up for Needville and won't be this year either. End of story.

The starting TAILBACKS are still with us.

fireman1
08-11-2007, 12:18 AM

I dont think anybody from this district will have beatin Giddings but what happened to the other 2 teams from this district?

themsu97
08-11-2007, 05:25 AM
see, people will jock their own teams as i said earlier but nobody knows for sure until the pads go on, the lights turn on, and they actually play someone else...
Needville looks great on paper and has an exceptional staff, but so do plenty of other teams in the district, region and state... which is why Texas Football is the best there is in the nation, period.

Will make some of ya'lls games this year Crow and i hope to see you all...

Centextrash
08-11-2007, 05:46 AM
How do you know?

I saw all three of those on film last year. Giddings was and is a darn good team.

I use to live in H-town for several years, I know what the speed is like. 4.3 is not normal. 4.5 is in SE Texas.

Crow will get those Jays rolling. I stand by my 10-0 record.

Crow22
08-11-2007, 08:01 AM
I saw all three of those on film last year. Giddings was and is a darn good team.

I use to live in H-town for several years, I know what the speed is like. 4.3 is not normal. 4.5 is in SE Texas.

Crow will get those Jays rolling. I stand by my 10-0 record.

Giddings has been on a different level for 2 years....so losing to them 63-14 isn't exactly surprising. They're VERY good and deserve the #1 ranking (IMO). They have great kids and a great staff. Pretty much the recipe for winning it all. Whoever makes the playoffs in Division 2 will have to go thru them. Period.

Centex...4.3 is NOT normal...lol....ANYWHERE....you and I agree on that, sir...

The kid has put up a 4.39 (its on our record board for fastest offseason 40 ever) but he's actually a consistent 4.45 type sprinter. That's still ridiculously fast for a sophomore.

msu....when you come to the games holler at us!

necks_c/09
08-11-2007, 08:29 AM
10-0 is not a big deal.....its very possible with a much weaker district this year

10-1 is what is also very possible as well

thats the problem i see with needville

honestly no matter how much talent this squad may have on paper....

they dont have any playoff experience......and will never make it deep in the playoffs as long as merritt is gone

and dont think that yalls team is gonna go the whole season without significant injuries....

and who cares...whats the diference between 9-1 and 10-0...

if they already have the district title locked up on the last week the coach may rest his stars anyway and they are subject to have a bad game anyway.....

Mustangpride09
08-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
that could be a big blow if he doesn't return...

No it won't, they're 3049834093839 deep at that position.

Crow22
08-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
10-0 is not a big deal.....its very possible with a much weaker district this year

10-1 is what is also very possible as well

thats the problem i see with needville

honestly no matter how much talent this squad may have on paper....

they dont have any playoff experience......and will never make it deep in the playoffs as long as merritt is gone

and dont think that yalls team is gonna go the whole season without significant injuries....

and who cares...whats the diference between 9-1 and 10-0...

if they already have the district title locked up on the last week the coach may rest his stars anyway and they are subject to have a bad game anyway.....

Well, we went 2 rounds deep year before last with this same core group so I guess there's a little playoff experience to draw from.

Coach Merritt was a great coach....but he hasn't been the HC in a LONG time. Coach Roark has had just a little success, I'd say....State Finalists at Cuero as the OC, Regional Finalists at Rice as the OC, and two rounds deep in his first year as HC at Needville.....

Yeah, you're right....lol....

g$$
08-11-2007, 02:56 PM
4.39 not the norm? Maybe you missed my point, SPEED is the norm around these there parts.....would you like me to quote some examples?? OKAY, glad you asked.

Lets take a look at the state track meet results.....for example...4 out of the 8 100m finalists were from the Houston area...better yet...lets see where the teams were from that finished 1st for each classification.....5A state champs...Fort Bend Hightower, 4a state champs....Copperas Cove (not Houston area) w/ 3 of the top 5 teams being from Houston area...3a...Region III as a whole very well represented. 2a...not too many 2a schools near Houston, but Wallis was 5th and Region III still had a strong showing as a whole....etc. etc....and there again my point is made....much more speed in this area than say West Texas...mainly due to being alot less populated...blah blah blah...You get my point.

Hey bud - Centex coached & lived in these parts for many years. He knows what he is talking about in relation to kids & speed.

No one said a kid can't run a sub 4.4 40; the point is that is the exception not the norm when measuring ALL kids. No doubt the Houston Area is loaded with athletes every year. But you are generalizing & exaggerating just a bit. Anyone in the 4.3s legit is special. (Kinda like when people say a kid in hs throws in the 90s when he really is about 86-87; avg. MLB fastball is 90-91. There are special kids out there no doubt, but most #s are exaggerated big-time.)

Centex: agreed on Mel & Al; I know which line I got in when testing & it wasn't the Loesch Monster!

maestro
08-11-2007, 02:57 PM
59 responses on the needville topic....

the bluejays are certainly the media darlings....

crow is correct.....roark , coaches, and those, gulp...., rabid jay fans really are what fridays are all about....

real, honest community pride....

cannot fault that.....

g$$
08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
59 responses on the needville topic....

the bluejays are certainly the media darlings....

crow is correct.....roark , coaches, and those, gulp...., rabid jay fans really are what fridays are all about....

real, honest community pride....

cannot fault that.....

Good community for sure. Lots just like them around the state too. Best of luck to all.

necks_c/09
08-11-2007, 03:31 PM
sure coach roark has had some success but im talking about the players......

hes not the one throwing the ball and running between the tackles is he???

and the seniors now, were sophmores then...

how many of them got significant pt in the playoffs???...

not too many is my guess and there is a bunch of youth on yalls team.....

im not saying yall aernt talented because yall are very much so....

im just saying its a whole different ball game in the playoffs....

take gilmer for instance.....most talented team there was but lost in the first round.....(eventual state champs but thats not the point)

cropduster
08-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Crow22
Well, we went 2 rounds deep year before last with this same core group so I guess there's a little playoff experience to draw from.

Coach Merritt was a great coach....but he hasn't been the HC in a LONG time. Coach Roark has had just a little success, I'd say....State Finalists at Cuero as the OC, Regional Finalists at Rice as the OC, and two rounds deep in his first year as HC at Needville.....

Yeah, you're right....lol....

Tooting your own horn are we?

Centextrash
08-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Easy Guys..... Take it easy with the jays. Coach Roark will do a great job with the Blue birds this year, no doubt.

G$$ made my point exactly. I am not shocked that a 4.45 was ran in the H-town area. 4.39 blows my mind though! Its like someone saying they bench over 450 or squat over 700. You just don't beleive it unless you see it or have witnesses. If Crow says it so...I beleive him. As I said, if nothing else, that is FAST in anyones book!

gato 76
08-11-2007, 06:32 PM
What going to make Needville tough from now on is not only good players,but they have a very good coaching staff,and sometimes thats all it takes.

Necked
08-11-2007, 09:05 PM
The Oct 5 game at Sweeny is gonna be huge for Needville. If they can win that one they will have a good chance of ducking Giddings in the 1st round, even if Columbia makes the playoffs & goes DI. It won't be easy either as Sweeny will have the best defense in the district again, even without Tank. They will probably need their new QB up to speed by then to take some pressure off the run game, cause Sweeny will be tough to run on.
It doesn't help that they have to play the most important games on the road, either. If they win district they will have earned it...

IHStangFan
08-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Hey bud - Centex coached & lived in these parts for many years. He knows what he is talking about in relation to kids & speed.

No one said a kid can't run a sub 4.4 40; the point is that is the exception not the norm when measuring ALL kids. No doubt the Houston Area is loaded with athletes every year. But you are generalizing & exaggerating just a bit. Anyone in the 4.3s legit is special. (Kinda like when people say a kid in hs throws in the 90s when he really is about 86-87; avg. MLB fastball is 90-91. There are special kids out there no doubt, but most #s are exaggerated big-time.)

Centex: agreed on Mel & Al; I know which line I got in when testing & it wasn't the Loesch Monster! "Hey Bud???" LOL...right right right....but you may have missed my orig. point. Yes, exaggerated a bit...but my point was..compared to Sweetwater, or anywhere in West Texas for that matter...the Houston area just has more speed...largely in part due to the population difference...much larger field to choose from. Isn't the pop. of Houston and the outlying areas somwehere inbetween 3 and 4 million? Whats the population of the entire west part of Texas..excluding El Paso it's probably what...500,000- 800,000?? and that is a VERY general, off the top of my head GUESS. But you see my point? Much larger talent pool in SE Texas where speed is just more common. Thats the only point I was trying to make. Sorry to mislead, confuse and exaggerate somewhat.

Crow22
08-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by cropduster
Tooting your own horn are we?

Uh, no.

Nevermind...this is getting silly.

18handicap
08-12-2007, 06:10 AM
My predictions for this district are based on personal preferences and I'm usually right!! ha ha.....

Not in any particular order
Needville -- gotta support you -- winning will bring more move ins to the area and our farmland will go up and up in value and I'll be rich!!!
Sweeny -- I'm suppoting you too!! -- I know those coaches well and they always do an awesome job -- One day of getting fired up by Mel when getting equipment will last an eternity. (I remember hearing him in the equipment room from the track on the first day of practice!)
Columbia -- used to own a house in the Lakes, so have karma for the necks.

I don't know how it will really turn out, but it seems to me that these are 3 of the top teams in the district (Wharton could be there too). It should be a very interesting season every week. Good luck to all!

fireman1
08-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Necked
The Oct 5 game at Sweeny is gonna be huge for Needville. If they can win that one they will have a good chance of ducking Giddings in the 1st round, even if Columbia makes the playoffs & goes DI. It won't be easy either as Sweeny will have the best defense in the district again, even without Tank. They will probably need their new QB up to speed by then to take some pressure off the run game, cause Sweeny will be tough to run on.
It doesn't help that they have to play the most important games on the road, either. If they win district they will have earned it...

Where do you have Wharton in this situation? They aren't going to be a pushover team by any means.

Necked
08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by fireman1
Where do you have Wharton in this situation? They aren't going to be a pushover team by any means.

No, of course not. I was refering to the fact that Needville plays Sweeny 1st. If they win that one they are in a good position as they don't play Wharton or Columbia until the last part of the season. Plus its hard not to see that Sweeny & Needville are the only two teams at this point that can be said to have realistic chances of being playoff teams. Wharton looks like they will be fast again but with the coaching changes & the fact that they have been somewhat unpredictable on the feild isn't going to help, at least not early on. I would like to see how they play with the new QB & coaches the 1st couple of games before making any guesses about how sucessful they will be. I have somewhat the same concerns about Columbia. I don't think the coaching change will have any affect, other than the fact its harder to spell Surovik than Lane. But, they have a ton of new players starting key positions, so any predictions on how they will perform would be pure speculation at this point. Just like Wharton, I want to see how they play the 1st few games. They do have one advantage though in that they play all the big games at home.
I think the 3rd place spot will be wide open & we won't be able to rule any team out until late in the district season.....

themsu97
08-13-2007, 05:29 AM
this proves how this district is so tough... definitely will call you Crow when I am going to a game...

maestro
08-13-2007, 05:59 AM
what will tell the tale for the wharton team is the consecutive games at el campo....

followed by at sealy for district opener.....

emotional rivalry game followed by huge sealy home advantage.....

wharton never seems to schedule cupcakes......

does this hurt them?????

fireman1
08-13-2007, 11:27 AM
what will tell the tale for the wharton team is the consecutive games at el campo....
followed by at sealy for district opener.....
emotional rivalry game followed by huge sealy home advantage.....
wharton never seems to schedule cupcakes......
does this hurt them?????

I would say yes and no.. yes because of the record with a good El Campo team that will give us a loss... but then I would also say no because our preseason games are so tough they will give us some good practice for the district run

g$$
08-13-2007, 03:21 PM
"Hey Bud???" LOL...right right right....but you may have missed my orig. point. Yes, exaggerated a bit...but my point was..compared to Sweetwater, or anywhere in West Texas for that matter...the Houston area just has more speed...largely in part due to the population difference...much larger field to choose from. Isn't the pop. of Houston and the outlying areas somwehere inbetween 3 and 4 million? Whats the population of the entire west part of Texas..excluding El Paso it's probably what...500,000- 800,000?? and that is a VERY general, off the top of my head GUESS. But you see my point? Much larger talent pool in SE Texas where speed is just more common. Thats the only point I was trying to make. Sorry to mislead, confuse and exaggerate somewhat.

I meant no harm in calling you "bud". Sorry if I offended you in any way. I do agree with the population differences = more athletes/speed. But anything sub 4.4 is special if legit. #s do tend to be exaggerated. It's only the norm if a whole bunch of your team (& other teams) is running that fast, not a couple of special guys per team. Most skill guys probably run in the 4.6 to 4.8 range at that level. Mix in a couple of burners & some size, then you got something!

Best of luck to all.

18: a day in the equipment room with Mel back in the day was more than entertaining - it could get downright scary. Fun times! That was his domain.

IHStangFan
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I meant no harm in calling you "bud". Sorry if I offended you in any way. I do agree with the population differences = more athletes/speed. But anything sub 4.4 is special if legit. #s do tend to be exaggerated. It's only the norm if a whole bunch of your team (& other teams) is running that fast, not a couple of special guys per team. Most skill guys probably run in the 4.6 to 4.8 range at that level. Mix in a couple of burners & some size, then you got something!

Best of luck to all.

18: a day in the equipment room with Mel back in the day was more than entertaining - it could get downright scary. Fun times! That was his domain. you are right there g$$. I was a 4.8 in HS....after being in the military for a few years and working out and running my butt off i was a legit 4.52 and that was fast enough to be the fastest guy in my company. I agree w/ what you have said. :)

g$$
08-13-2007, 03:42 PM
you are right there g$$. I was a 4.8 in HS....after being in the military for a few years and working out and running my butt off i was a legit 4.52 and that was fast enough to be the fastest guy in my company. I agree w/ what you have said. :)

I hear ya - I ran in the 4.6s & started at flanker because I could catch & block! I was not fast neither was I slow. I found a way to get it done & help the team. I was actually faster in college b/c I matured & worked out religiously too. Good stuff.

Have a good one "bud"!! Just messing around...

IHStangFan
08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I hear ya - I ran in the 4.6s & started at flanker because I could catch & block! I was not fast neither was I slow. I found a way to get it done & help the team. I was actually faster in college b/c I matured & worked out religiously too. Good stuff.

Have a good one "bud"!! Just messing around... LOL..no harm no foul. Yup...same w/ me..did not fully mature till I was probably 19 yrs old. When I graduated HS i was 5'9" 135....two months later after basic training I was 6'0" 178. Wonder if it had something to do w/ all of the shots or something they were feeding us? LOL. Those are accurate numbers! LOL....my dad kept talking about it "what the heck did they feed yall"