PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Hit Number 756.

BILLYFRED0000
08-07-2007, 10:54 PM
WOO HOO.

jason
08-07-2007, 10:57 PM
the headline on espn.com has an asterisks (*) next to it HAHA

cheater

Cameron Crazy
08-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Big deal

Bull Butter
08-07-2007, 11:02 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mchavez
08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Grads to Barry Bonds!!! Well deserved!!!

IHStangFan
08-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I was watching!! quite a feat. My take: I think the guy is a jerkov, but you have to admire the grand splendor of it. So the guy is suspected of using steroids....I'm kinda indifferent, I've decided that just about everyone was in the hayday of the "steriod" era, and who knows how many of the pitchers he hit HRs off of were using them.

DUKE22
08-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I was watching!! quite a feat. My take: I think the guy is a jerkov, but you have to admire the grand splendor of it. So the guy is suspected of using steroids....I'm kinda indifferent, I've decided that just about everyone was in the hayday of the "steriod" era, and who knows how many of the pitchers he hit HRs off of were using them. Yep and the MLB is spending 2 million dollars a month trying to bust him for using roids. I know he did it and I think everyone else does too. They need to bust him and its sad that they cant, until they do he is the homerun king in my book. Congrats to Mr. Bonds.

Old Tiger
08-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by mchavez
Grads to Barry Bonds!!! Well deserved!!! Congrats BALCO! Whoops! I mean Barry.

mchavez
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
Yep and the MLB is spending 2 million dollars a month trying to bust him for using roids. I know he did it and I think everyone else does too. They need to bust him and its sad that they cant, until they do he is the homerun king in my book. Congrats to Mr. Bonds.

haha!!! 70% of the people that have played in his era took steriods!

JR2004
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
You know I think the Babe held the record for 39 years. Hank might hold it the exact same amount of years if Arod breaks his mark in 2013.

mustang04
08-07-2007, 11:32 PM
i look at it this way.....it takes great hand/eye coordination to hit homeruns.....muscles prolly play 10% of homeruns hit, so really how much have steroids helped him???? a great batter is a great batter regardless of size and strength....i bet most of the juiced up pro-wrestlers couldnt even hit 5 homeruns in a season....it takes more skill than muscle to hit a home-run

IHStangFan
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
i look at it this way.....it takes great hand/eye coordination to hit homeruns.....muscles prolly play 10% of homeruns hit, so really how much have steroids helped him???? a great batter is a great batter regardless of size and strength....i bet most of the juiced up pro-wrestlers couldnt even hit 5 homeruns in a season....it takes more skill than muscle to hit a home-run yup, agreed.

DUKE22
08-07-2007, 11:36 PM
i look at it this way.....it takes great hand/eye coordination to hit homeruns.....muscles prolly play 10% of homeruns hit, so really how much have steroids helped him???? a great batter is a great batter regardless of size and strength....i bet most of the juiced up pro-wrestlers couldnt even hit 5 homeruns in a season....it takes more skill than muscle to hit a home-run Yeah I tend to agree with you, i think alot of the stuff he took helped him recover quickly from injuries and allowed him to go so long at such a high level. But youre right I mean Bonds isnt bigger than Cecil Feilder, Frank Thomas, hell Willy Mo Pena, just to name few and they cant out hit him.

Old Tiger
08-07-2007, 11:36 PM
i look at it this way.....it takes great hand/eye coordination to hit homeruns.....muscles prolly play 10% of homeruns hit, so really how much have steroids helped him???? a great batter is a great batter regardless of size and strength....i bet most of the juiced up pro-wrestlers couldnt even hit 5 homeruns in a season....it takes more skill than muscle to hit a home-run Ichiro is known for his finess hitting and Barry is known for his power hitting so when you are known for that and steroids are the issue it will be a hot topic.

DUKE22
08-07-2007, 11:37 PM
haha!!! 70% of the people that have played in his era took steriods! Yeah I agree and they are spending all that money to bust one. And if that many were using and he is the only one hitting 756, I think that says something.

Emerson1
08-07-2007, 11:38 PM
How do you know Ichiro isn't on something?

Old Tiger
08-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
How do you know Ichiro isn't on something? I'm not saying he isn't. I just saying when you are known as a power hitter that the steroid talk will be there more.

Just like people claim SLC, Celina, and LH type teams juice.

mustang04
08-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I'm not saying he isn't. I just saying when you are known as a power hitter that the steroid talk will be there more.

Just like people claim SLC, Celina, and LH type teams juice.

even tho i agree with you....i think the issue at hand is the credibility of his 756 homeruns, not his image as a "powerhitter"

eagles_victory
08-08-2007, 12:14 AM
i look at it this way.....it takes great hand/eye coordination to hit homeruns.....muscles prolly play 10% of homeruns hit, so really how much have steroids helped him???? a great batter is a great batter regardless of size and strength....i bet most of the juiced up pro-wrestlers couldnt even hit 5 homeruns in a season....it takes more skill than muscle to hit a home-run If he used it doesnt mean hes still not a great hitter but the fact is that regardless of it he broke the rules, and he had an advantage that guys like Aaron and Ruth didnt have. Lets say your right and muscles only play 10 % how many guys fly out to the warning track in baseball? If they have that extra 10% that could translate into many more homeruns over the season

VanKampen
08-08-2007, 12:26 AM
did anybody read the article on sunday in the houston chronicle about how terrible bonds is? the guy made the stupidest statistical error i have ever seen. he claimed barry averaged 52 home runs over a certain period of time and that was proof barry took steroids. well guess what? bonds has only every hit more than 50 home runs ONCE in his ENTIRE career. so lets say instead of 73, hits 45. he's still 28 home runs away and would have broken the record next season anyways.

Emerson1
08-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
If he used it doesnt mean hes still not a great hitter but the fact is that regardless of it he broke the rules, and he had an advantage that guys like Aaron and Ruth didnt have. Lets say your right and muscles only play 10 % how many guys fly out to the warning track in baseball? If they have that extra 10% that could translate into many more homeruns over the season
There is no way to know if Ruth or Aaron were on something during their time either.

And is it really a big advantage? He hit the tieing HR off a guy who was busted for using.

BILLYFRED0000
08-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Well I think it evens out. Pitchers were probably using roids too so he had to hit better pitching probably. Hank had to hit against a lot of good pitching too. Back in babes day, I don't really know but would suggest that the pitching was probably more spotty.
Athletes just keep improving over time. The fact that Barry did hit it in his career against some of the best athletes to play the game should wash the roids out anyway. IMHO.

mustang04
08-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
If he used it doesnt mean hes still not a great hitter but the fact is that regardless of it he broke the rules, and he had an advantage that guys like Aaron and Ruth didnt have. Lets say your right and muscles only play 10 % how many guys fly out to the warning track in baseball? If they have that extra 10% that could translate into many more homeruns over the season

just a few....not enough to make a HUGE debate about IMO

charlesrixey
08-08-2007, 06:15 AM
:(

BullFrog Dad
08-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Back in babes day, I don't really know but would suggest that the pitching was probably more spotty. That's true but back in Babe's day he had better #s powerwise than some teams! That's why he'll always be the greatest IMO! Not to mention a twenty game winner early in his career!

Old Tiger
08-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Prior to Babe the home run was 128, I believe, and he crushed that record by hitting 714.

burnet44
08-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Im glad its over
Let the Giants go back to obscurity
They are a bad ball club
Thats playing Bariods so he can break the record
He is a defensive liability on a bad club
Im glad its over

ok about the roids

1. If it helps so little or not at all why did he UNKNOWINGLY take them lol
2. Since 2000 barry has hit 311 hr's almost 1/2
3. His best years were 2000-04 where he averaged 51.6 a year
His hr's went from 1/15 at bats to 1/8 at bats almost cut it in half
at 35-39 years old
4. then he gets hurt in 05
6. those years allowed him to get close 253 in 5 years at 35-39 years old

talk as much as you want on hand eye coordination-skill- ect
and yes it takes all those but without power and bat speed
you aint gonna hit em
power is produced by muscle
muscle is produced by 2 things
1. fatigue by overloading
2. hormones

Fantasy Comparison:
Grady Sizemore 1383
Gary Sheffield 1241
Eric Byrnes 1130
Matt Holliday 1103
Barry Bonds 1045

Im just glad its over
only thing left is his HOF ceremony
then maybe it will all be over

I hope A Rod breaks it
he is 32 with 500
He should do so without injury
to hit 800 thats 40 for 20 years
A rod needs 300 in 8 years
barry had 311 in 6 1/2 years
and was older
thats 37 or so a year ave
He could do that by 2016
Then and maybe then only will barry go into the night

JasperDog94
08-08-2007, 08:22 AM
haha!!! 70% of the people that have played in his era took steriods! The first testing that MLB did revealed that only 5-7% of guys tested positive. I have a hard time believing that it went from 70 down to 7.

JasperDog94
08-08-2007, 08:23 AM
i look at it this way.....it takes great hand/eye coordination to hit homeruns.....muscles prolly play 10% of homeruns hit, so really how much have steroids helped him???? a great batter is a great batter regardless of size and strength....i bet most of the juiced up pro-wrestlers couldnt even hit 5 homeruns in a season....it takes more skill than muscle to hit a home-run First of all there have been studies done on lab rats to show that steroids can help with your coordination. Second, how about all these guys that hit deep pop flies? Don't you think a little extra strength (via steroids) would help make those home runs?

JasperDog94
08-08-2007, 08:27 AM
There is no way to know if Ruth or Aaron were on something during their time either. The only thing Ruth was on was hot dogs and booze. Anabolic steroids weren't available back then....at least that 's what I've heard.

burnet44
08-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The only thing Ruth was on was hot dogs and booze. Anabolic steroids weren't available back then....at least that 's what I've heard.

You gotta love Babe
yeah he was on dogs, beer, and stoggies
talk about all natural

and for those of you who think steriods dont matter

roids turn a 365 foot fly out into a 385 foot dinger

JR2004
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
There is no way to know if Ruth or Aaron were on something during their time either.

And is it really a big advantage? He hit the tieing HR off a guy who was busted for using.

The Sultan of Swat was on something. It was called ALCOHOL. I think the best story I read about him was showing up drunk to a game and still hitting 2 homers.

VanKampen
08-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
Im glad its over
Let the Giants go back to obscurity
They are a bad ball club
Thats playing Bariods so he can break the record
He is a defensive liability on a bad club
Im glad its over

ok about the roids

1. If it helps so little or not at all why did he UNKNOWINGLY take them lol
2. Since 2000 barry has hit 311 hr's almost 1/2
3. His best years were 2000-04 where he averaged 51.6 a year
His hr's went from 1/15 at bats to 1/8 at bats almost cut it in half
at 35-39 years old
4. then he gets hurt in 05
6. those years allowed him to get close 253 in 5 years at 35-39 years old

talk as much as you want on hand eye coordination-skill- ect
and yes it takes all those but without power and bat speed
you aint gonna hit em
power is produced by muscle
muscle is produced by 2 things
1. fatigue by overloading
2. hormones

Fantasy Comparison:
Grady Sizemore 1383
Gary Sheffield 1241
Eric Byrnes 1130
Matt Holliday 1103
Barry Bonds 1045

Im just glad its over
only thing left is his HOF ceremony
then maybe it will all be over

I hope A Rod breaks it
he is 32 with 500
He should do so without injury
to hit 800 thats 40 for 20 years
A rod needs 300 in 8 years
barry had 311 in 6 1/2 years
and was older
thats 37 or so a year ave
He could do that by 2016
Then and maybe then only will barry go into the night

as i already said, bonds only hit more than 50 home runs one time so your "average" of 51.6 is BS. if you use correct statistical theory (which means throwing out the 73 and averaging the rest), he would have averaged about 45 which is totally normal for a power hitter.

burnet44
08-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by VanKampen
as i already said, bonds only hit more than 50 home runs one time so your "average" of 51.6 is BS. if you use correct statistical theory (which means throwing out the 73 and averaging the rest), he would have averaged about 45 which is totally normal for a power hitter.

not between 35-39

I have a Van Kampen do you work for them

VanKampen
08-10-2007, 08:58 AM
no edward jones invested my money in their mutual funds