PDA

View Full Version : MARLIN VS GATESVILLE SCRIMMIAGE THURSDAY

MARLINFAN
08-20-2003, 03:01 AM
HOW DO YOU THINK THIS GAME WILL TURN OUT

Pudlugger
08-20-2003, 06:55 AM
Well, first of all its a scrimmage, quite different than a game. Second, if Marlin plays with intensity they will dominate. As for "winning", I think scrimmages are best viewed as rehersals or previews for players vying to fill the open slots in a team. It is an opportunity for coaches to get a look at how various players will perform in game-like conditions. It helps them decide who can play and who can't. Because that is the priority rather than winning you really can't say anyone "won" a scrimmage. It isn't the same as a game. Having said that, I think Marlin will show the most talent in this scrimmage, but Gatesville will not roll over. It will be a good show both ways.

dab
08-20-2003, 08:20 AM
I think this scrimmage will be good for both teams as well. Gatesville needs to work on their defense against some fast and athletic opponents and Marlin needs to practice as much as they can with their offensive coordinator's system.

The Hornets did not run the ball much in their first scrimmage, so it will be interesting to see what they concentrate on this week. I think it is doubtful that LaShon Thayer will get the ball very much though. The Gville coaches already know what he is capable of and they don't need him injured.

Marlin is probably the same way. They don't need any of their big named players getting hurt before opening week.

Old Dog
08-20-2003, 08:24 AM
It will certainly pit two good RB's against each other......Thayer and Smith!!!!!!!!! Burnet gets to try and stop both this year.....should really be a tough job.

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Amos Moses
08-20-2003, 10:40 AM
What about the other 3 TB from Marlin (#1,#4,&#5)Seen their 5th string TB scamper for a TD against Robinson.

MARLINFAN
08-20-2003, 03:58 PM
well # 4 is at qb this year. option offense. #1 is at fb. and # 2 is the starter. #5 will be but in the rotation as last year.

dab
08-21-2003, 12:52 PM
I think regardless, all three or four of the Marlin ball-handlers are very athletic and can run. They will be a tough offense to stop this year. I am not sure about their o-line--is it good?

I doubt if we will see much of Thayer and I wonder if the same will go for Marlin's great athletes. Just glad the Hornets don't have to play them in the regular season.

cunbed10
08-21-2003, 01:46 PM
dab:
I think regardless, all three or four of the Marlin ball-handlers are very athletic and can run. They will be a tough offense to stop this year. I am not sure about their o-line--is it good?

I doubt if we will see much of Thayer and I wonder if the same will go for Marlin's great athletes. Just glad the Hornets don't have to play them in the regular season.Hey! Dab, is it true that the Hornets hadn't lost a home game since 1999, and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Marlin the team that the Hornets lost to?

theyoefnshow
08-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Thayer is awesome. Saw the both play Cameron last year and I think that kid could be even better than the Gatesville RB before him.

espn1
08-21-2003, 11:23 PM
I read on another board that Marlin destroyed Gatesville tonight.

MARLINFAN
08-22-2003, 01:08 AM
YEP THE MARLIN O SCORED ABOUT 7 TIMES. IT WAS LIKE 2 DOWNS A DRIVE AND THEY WOULD SCORE. TANK SMITH SCORED 2 OR THREE TIMES AND ON 1 RUN A SWEEP THE DEFENDER WRAPPED HIM UP AND HE CARRIED HIM(NOT DRAGGED) CARREIED HIM IN THE ENDZONE.RICHARDSON# 5 RAN A SWEEP TO THE LEFT FOR ABOUT 7 YARDS THEN CHANGED DIRECTION AND LEFT THE HORNET D ABOUT 20 YARDS. THE MARLIN OFFENSIVE IS READY. THEY NEED TO STIFFIN UP A ALREADY SOLID DEFENSIVE. THE REAL TEST WILL BE NEXT WEEK AGANIST EVERMAN

dab
08-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Yes it is true that the Hornets have not lost a home game since 1999.
That streak will be put on the line Sept. 5 against Burnet.

As far as the scrimmage, Marlin looked good, but they did not score 7 times.
The Hornets only gave the ball to Thayer three or four times and we all know that will change once the season starts. Thayer is a powerhouse and will be Gatesville's primary weapon this season, not the passing game.

cunbed10
08-22-2003, 12:43 PM
dab:
Yes it is true that the Hornets have not lost a home game since 1999.
That streak will be put on the line Sept. 5 against Burnet.

As far as the scrimmage, Marlin looked good, but they did not score 7 times.
The Hornets only gave the ball to Thayer three or four times and we all know that will change once the season starts. Thayer is a powerhouse and will be Gatesville's primary weapon this season, not the passing game.Hey! Guy! I never said Marlin scored 7 times, I was at the scrimmage also, and I don't measure the team by scrimmage,niether should other fans, Marlin tests starts in Sept, Burnet has a pretty good team, I wactched them twice last year, against Marlin and Jasper, they are well balanced.

Gobbla2001
08-22-2003, 12:49 PM
I believe his comment was more directed to MARLINFAN... Just happened to address the two of you in the same reply!