PDA

View Full Version : Camp Cupcake's Phillips chews out players for being late

KTA
08-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

There's a little of Bill Parcells in Wade Phillips after all.

In a move that ran counter to his image as a laid-back coach, Phillips on Saturday publicly berated the Dallas Cowboys for the first time at training camp.

The scolding, which included profanity and a passionate speech about personal accountability, came after several players arrived late for special-teams drills at the start of the afternoon workout.

Phillips was visibly animated while standing in the middle of the Alamodome field with the players surrounding him. At one point, he made a swift punching motion while his eyes darted from player to player.

His anger didn't end there. After practice, he made the offenders stand in front of the team and explain their tardiness.

Rookie fullback Deon Anderson was among the offenders.

"I didn't realize when practices were starting, and coaches were flipping out," Anderson said. "I'm like, '(expletive).' Now coach is pissed off at the whole team because of what I did."

Anderson said he thought Phillips, who replaced the retired Parcells, was going to hit him.

"Then he took a step back and regrouped," Anderson said. "He said, 'This stuff can't happen. You guys have to be accountable for your actions.'"

Phillips, whose soft-spoken demeanor stands in sharp contrast to his predecessor's tough-guy style, has been criticized for running what some observers have labeled "Camp Cupcake."

If the tongue-lashing Phillips delivered was designed to squelch such talk, he accomplished his goal, players said.

"It wasn't the message, it was the principle — quit taking advantage of the situation," Kevin Burnett said.

Bradie James suggested Phillips is tired of hearing all the talk about him being soft.

"Camp has been tough," James said. "We have had more practices this year than before. But coach has been getting criticized, and for those guys to be late, he took it personal. It was disrespectful."

Several key players, including Terrell Owens, Jason Witten and Tony Romo, addressed the team after practice about the need to be accountable.

"He will treat you like a man until you don't treat him like one by doing things like being late," Romo said of Phillips. "He will tell you about it. And if it happens a second time, he will cut the guy."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/stories/MYSA080507.10C.NZ.State.10CCowboysSider0805.en.321 362e.html

luvhoops34
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
A little drama at training camp....

Always good for some free press.

KTA
08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
hows this drama? im glad to see him show some discipline

DDBooger
08-06-2007, 10:39 PM
i wonder what TO said?

burnet44
08-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by KTA

Several key players, including Terrell Owens addressed the team after practice about the need to be accountable.

Thats funny right there
Kinda like Bobby Bowden's speech on discipline at coaching school.

BILLYFRED0000
08-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Thats funny right there
Kinda like Bobby Bowden's speech on discipline at coaching school.

Maybe, or maybe TO is getting older and is beginning to realize that the end of his career is a lot close than the beginning. At some point if you are a smart guy, you start figuring things out and TO is not stupid. I think this just may be the way that Wade wants things to work out. Bum was a lot like that and he had a few good teams in his day. If Bum would have had better ownership support, the Earlers might have had a super bowl ring.
Wade has the support and talent to go all the way, and his defensive scheme will really work with that the boys have on the field now. If Romo sticks to last years numbers or even close it will be good. Most people forget that even tho they lost some at the end it was the defense not Romo that was the problem. Romo finished the year with a 95.1 QB rating at number 5 in the league. He also had one of the highest yardage per catch and completion percentage. If the defense had not collapsed they might have made it to the NFC Championship. I don't think they get past da Bears but it would have been a good season. On the other hand I am glad it worked out. Tuna was done and a good season would have kept him around. This is better for the Boys right now.