PDA

View Full Version : District 23

buff4life
08-06-2007, 02:11 PM
just for grins...how many posters out represent District 23??

rancher
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I can go either district 23 or 24 from my location in Austin County. Just a quick note, heard today while drinking coffee a Newmans in Bellville that Abbs is moving to Waller and Chaney will not play football because of track. If this is true, take it to the bank, Sealy will upset Bellville in the opening game at Sealy.

carter08
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
How much does Bellville lose?

The way it sounds, they have nothing returning. I predict a Columbia victory over Bellville.

winthebigone
08-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Let's hear predictions for 23-3A?

1. Giddings
2. Navasota
3. Bellville
4. Caldwell
5. LaGrange
6. Smithville

Anybody disagree?

Can anybody de-throne the mighty Buffalo?

zebrablue2
08-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by rancher
I can go either district 23 or 24 from my location in Austin County. Just a quick note, heard today while drinking coffee a Newmans in Bellville that Abbs is moving to Waller and Chaney will not play football because of track. If this is true, take it to the bank, Sealy will upset Bellville in the opening game at Sealy.

with the loss of both chaney and abbs, a sealy win is now very possible. that was the starting backfield. I also hear the offensive line is very small. losing those two will put bellville in the fourth spot in the district.

KL3
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Chaney, their best player on offense and defense, will not be playing football this year. A lot of schools are talking about offering him for track and he doesn't want to risk another knee injury.

There were rumors about Abbs to Waller or Hempstead, but the lastest I heard was that he was staying in Bellville.

KL3
08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, disregard that last message. It looks like Abbs is just about set to go to Waller.

HEMOTOXIC
08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
My Picks...

1. Giddings- Can't be stopped...Although, they will have a few scares in district..Especially when they travel to Rattler Field
2. Navasota- The Rattlers will surprise many critics..The new beautiful field will help motivate the Rattlers to runner up behind the Buffs. Bellville will give the Rattlers problems as always and with the game being played in the 'Pasture of Pain' will not make it any easier.
3. Caldwell- Caldwell is not as bad as everyone is predicting. They are very talented. The Hornets will knock off Bellville at home in the season finale to take the final playoff spot.
4. Bellville- Better luck next year Brahma fans..
5. LaGrange
6. Smithville

scotty
08-07-2007, 06:26 AM
I also heard that Logan Ledbetter isn't playing this year either. Wasn't he the kicker, defensive back and reciever last season. Chaney did the punting. That does leave some holes. But I just wouldn't count Bellville out as they are supposed to have the best bunch of sophomores they have ever had. And some of those no shows may still show up.

buff4ever
08-07-2007, 07:15 AM
giddings should be able to defend the district title, but I know it will be tough.

bellville will be better than you speak of, even if the latest news hurts a little.

third spot will be between the rattlers and the hornets, and it will be close.

HEMOTOXIC
08-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes, it will be close. Giddings will probably go underfeated with a couple of close games. Their experience and QB leadership will lead them past the rest. Bellville will be tough as always. I am really excited about the possibilities of who will come in 2nd and 3rd and who will be left at home.

Bull19
08-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by scotty
I also heard that Logan Ledbetter isn't playing this year either. .

you heard right

KL3
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Wow, losing Ledbetter as well as Chaney and Abbs is huge. I was going back and forth with Bellville and Navasota for 2nd place, but now Navasota should be there no doubt. Bellville could be 4th in the district actually.

UPanIN
08-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Mark this down.

Bellville will not be as bad as everyone is saying. I don't care who they have lost or may lose.

Come dist those boys will be looking for a spot in the playoffs and it will be very hard to stop them. They will be in the running for 1st place and take no less than second.

:twitch: :twitch: :evilgrin:

NOT A BELLVILLE FAN AT ALL.:)

Pudlugger
08-07-2007, 04:26 PM
La Grange will field one of the toughest D's in district with 7 starters back.

The Lep O is hard to call as it will largely be up to the underclassmen to fill the shoes of last season's departing seniors with only 1 starter returning. The O line will have two big physical senior lineman moving up to starting positions in Moerbe and Childs and if one or both of the big Defensive tackles Rhode and Johnson move to the other side of the line of scrimmage you would have a very decent O line. In any offense you must start with a strong O line, so I see this as key to the Lep's success this season. Qb Allen, last season's backup, will be a senior vying with sophomore Schneider who was moved up to jv as a frosh to gain more experience and impressed. I have to go with the sophomore Schneider as this will be a building year for the Leps. It may not be decided until two or three games deep in the season but that is how I see it playing out.

There are several promising young players who will move into key positions and may surprise some folks. Most folks have them at 4th or 5th now but it will be interesting to see how they develop as the preseason unfolds and the team gets seasoned.

Also, the Leps play Giddings, Navasota and Bellville at home this year with only 4 away games. Home field advantage is a plus if things are close.

rancher
08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
With the Bellville program in shambles, something is wrong. Has Huey overstayed his welcome. I watched practice last night and they do not have the number of players they had in the past. Very, very small in size. Bellville will finish no better than 4th place in the district this year.

Pudlugger
08-07-2007, 06:18 PM
With the Bellville program in shambles, something is wrong. Has Huey overstayed his welcome. I watched practice last night and they do not have the number of players they had in the past. Very, very small in size. Bellville will finish no better than 4th place in the district this year.

Oh I don't think yall need to start hanging the black crepe yet on Bellville. They have some fine players coming up and will be in the district race come mid season. Sure they lost some good players but others will step up. Where but from the unknown underclassmen does any star arise? Wait and see, Bellville will be in the playoffs come November.;)

zebrablue2
08-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
you heard right

really is a shame. to play from the 7th grade and decide not to play your Sr. year. chaney has a real chance to recieve a track scholarship, and abbs moving to waller. oh well. really new nothing about logan. my concern is many bellville teams win 95% of their games from 7th to 9th grade and then kids quit, and then bellville is in another rebuilding mode. when will a class stay together. always too many sophs. moved up, and by the time they are srs. they are quitting. bellville will still be very much in the playoff hunt, for they have many good athletes, so do not count them out.

winthebigone
08-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Caldwell has a chance to be the dark horse in 23-3A. They missed the playoffs with a gut-wrenching loss to Bellville in the season finale. They were 3rd in 3A in rushing in '06 after installing the slot-T offense. Expect a solid ground attack and an improved defense to vault the Hornets into the top 3 in district.

Pudlugger
08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by winthebigone
Caldwell has a chance to be the dark horse in 23-3A. They missed the playoffs with a gut-wrenching loss to Bellville in the season finale. They were 3rd in 3A in rushing in '06 after installing the slot-T offense. Expect a solid ground attack and an improved defense to vault the Hornets into the top 3 in district.

No question Caldwell has a shot at District this season. They lost by 1 to the Leps in a squeaker with the lead changing three times in the fourth quarter. It was without a doubt the Leps best win all year. It will be tough for the Leps to play them in Caldwell as they will no doubt want revenge. I think they are going to be a very solid team.

winthebigone
08-08-2007, 08:07 PM
How will the Leopard's replace Hunter Callis. At QB, he made their spread attack work. Without the senior-laden offense line and Callis, how will LaGrange move the ball.

buff4life
08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
How will the Leopard's replace Hunter Callis. At QB, he made their spread attack work. Without the senior-laden offense line and Callis, how will LaGrange move the ball.

callis wasn't the quarterback, matt woods was

rancher
08-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Take it to the Austin County Bank, Bellville will not finish any higher than 4th place in the district. In fact when district starts, look for them to be 2-3. They will be lucky to finish .500 this year.

scotty
08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Rancher: I can't understand why the Bellville fans aren't on you like a chicken on a June bug. Former BB and some of the others must be disconnected or something.

zebrablue2
08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Rancher: I can't understand why the Bellville fans aren't on you like a chicken on a June bug. Former BB and some of the others must be disconnected or something.

rancher likes to stir up the herd. maybe he will get these brahmas mad, maybe he won't. ytbd..........

Pudlugger
08-09-2007, 06:20 PM

See my post on this thread above a page or so. The D will be solid but the O is a big question mark going forward. With some big physical senior lineman filling in and some changes in personnel from D to O I think the O line will be very solid. The qb position is up in the air with a big sophomore (Schneider) with a strong arm looking like the go to guy over a fast but smaller senior (Allen). WR looks solid with Dockery and Daniels returning. Menefee will be the tailback and he is a hard hitting ball carrier with good lateral movement if not as fast as Callis. The Leps will take two or three games to gel but the talent is there.

Bull's-eye
08-09-2007, 08:41 PM

After losing those key players, several of the Bellville posters have already said Bellville may be a 4th place team. I originally had them as the #2 team, just barely ahead of Navasota and Caldwell. I think they can replace Chaney, but losing Abbs will really hurt. Abbs was also a DE, a position where the Brahmas appear to be very thin.

Darren
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks like there will be some competition for that last spot.

Bull19
08-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
After losing those key players, several of the Bellville posters have already said Bellville may be a 4th place team. I originally had them as the #2 team, just barely ahead of Navasota and Caldwell. I think they can replace Chaney, but losing Abbs will really hurt. Abbs was also a DE, a position where the Brahmas appear to be very thin.

I AGREE....ALSO YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WHO WILL REPLACE LEDBETTER AS THE #1 RECEIVER. WITH CONLEY TAKING THE SNAPS THIS YEAR IT ELIMINATES HIM AS THE #1 WIDE OUT...(CONLEY DID HAVE SOME BIG PLAYS CATCHING THE BALL LAST YEAR)....HOPEFULLY SOMEBODY CAN STEP UP AND CATCH THE BALL( MAYBE JOE TALLERINE???) ALSO THE O-LINE WILL BE VERY YOUNG AND SMALL

DEFENSIVLY THEY WILL BE YOUNG AND SMALL WITH ALOT OF ??? MARKS

I GUESS ONLY TIME WILL TELL

HOPEFULLY HUEY C. CAN FIGURE SOMETHING OUT AND KEEP THE WINNING TRADITION GOING WITH THIS VERY YOUNG TEAM

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Its hard to jump Ranchers case when there are 3 all District players missing from the Bellville line-up this season. Chaney has a good shot to be big in track, but also had a good chance to play football at the D1 level, still cant understand not playing football his Sr. year, HE WILL MISS not playing his last year in High School. UIL needs to do some research on Abbs, Heard Waller did some recruiting to get him? I thought one could not move to another school to play sports? he will be missed in the Brahma backfield. Ledbetter is going to focus on Basketball, I thought he was a better football player? We will just have to wait and see if Bellville can put it all together missing these players. There were many Bellville fans looking forward to seeing Abbs and Chaney in the Back-field, Maybe by the time school starts some of the players above might decide to play. If nothing else let Chaney do the punting, and Ledbetter do the kicking.

zebrablue2
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Its hard to jump Ranchers case when there are 3 all District players missing from the Bellville line-up this season. Chaney has a good shot to be big in track, but also had a good chance to play football at the D1 level, still cant understand not playing football his Sr. year, HE WILL MISS not playing his last year in High School. UIL needs to do some research on Abbs, Heard Waller did some recruiting to get him? I thought one could not move to another school to play sports? he will be missed in the Brahma backfield. Ledbetter is going to focus on Basketball, I thought he was a better football player? We will just have to wait and see if Bellville can put it all together missing these players. There were many Bellville fans looking forward to seeing Abbs and Chaney in the Back-field, Maybe by the time school starts some of the players above might decide to play. If nothing else let Chaney do the punting, and Ledbetter do the kicking.

agreed. but I still believe bellville will be fighting for the third spot in district. depends on how the soph. class does.

Bull's-eye
08-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
agreed. but I still believe bellville will be fighting for the third spot in district. depends on how the soph. class does.

I'm going to watch their intrasquad scrimmage tonight, hoping some of those sophs can step up and be a factor come district play.

zebrablue2
08-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I'm going to watch their intrasquad scrimmage tonight, hoping some of those sophs can step up and be a factor come district play.

let me know how they look. I may swing by, don't know if I will make it.

zebrablue2
08-11-2007, 10:23 PM
anyone go to the bellville intrasquad scrimmage? if so how did they look? fill me in bull's-eye.

Bull's-eye
08-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Bellville appears to lack depth and over all team size. The offense looked good, led by the powerful running of RB Nunn. He has really built up his lower body and could have a break out year. QB Conley doesn't possess the strongest arm, but he did looked good throwing the short to intermediate routes. Bellville doesn't have alot of speed at receiver, but they do have some height. WR Trahan and TE Mueller giive Conley some big targets. The offensive line has decent size and should be ok. They don't have the great weapon liked they did last year in Brandon Harris, but soph's Runnels and Browning did show some flashes running the ball.

On defense, I think this team will be struggle against the good running teams, especially the ones with the big powerful backs. Bellville will be led by Crawford and Brack up front, but don't appear to have much size backing them up. Nunn was playing at DE and Padgett has moved to middle LB.

This team will be similar to last year's team, except for not having the game beaker Harris, who could do it running, receiving or on special teams. Also, Bellville must stay injury free because of their lack of depth. There was a big drop off from the first team to the second teams. Bellville had 5-6 players going both ways.

rancher
08-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Went to the Bellville intersquad scrimmage last night. I must now opine that Bellville will be the 5th Place Team in the District. The Nunn kid is a good back, however, they are very very weak at the qb, he cannot throw the ball, lacks speed and looks physically weak. The offense overall lacks size and speed. The defense also is small and will be hardpress to stop a big, strong running attack. This has to be one of the weakness Bellville teams since the 97 season. I will get a better view at the Watermelon Bowl on Sat. I just hope that Bellville does not get beat up too bad by Brenham. I continue to be disappointed in the number of players this year. What has happen? Has Huey's program reached a dead end?

Bull's-eye
08-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I thought the offensive line had decent size. I know Crawford and Brack both went 230 lb's last season. I'm not sure who the other starters were, but they looked in the 215-230 range. The one problem I see is depth.

rancher
08-12-2007, 06:30 PM
You are correct about Crawford and Brack, they did appear to be to me in the 225-230 range. The other lineman looked to me about 200-215 range. Crawford was the only one who stood out to me on the line. I'm just use to seeing big tackles like in the past. Saturday at 10 am we will get a good look at them when they go up against a good Brenham team. Like I said, just hope they come away injury free. It will show in this scrimage just how weak Bellville is at the starting QB position.

winthebigone
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Anybody get word on the other 23-3A folks Saturday intrasquad scrimmages?

Navasota, LaGrange, Caldwell, Giddings?

Reports would be appreciated.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-12-2007, 09:39 PM
The Backup kicker Salines, also turned in the pads, heard he was kicking the ball into the end zone. Anyone know why he is not playing?

Bull's-eye
08-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Who is the kicker and punter for Bellville?

KL3
08-12-2007, 10:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Juan Salinas was a pretty good player, not just a kicker.

Brahma84
08-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Salinas would have been a senior this year. He did not play last year and maybe not as a Soph. Was a great kicker in Jr. High. Came in in terrible shape. Couldn't run his mile time. Looks like Ayala will kick field goals and Mueller will kick off. Sandman will punt.

Bull's-eye
08-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Welcome aboard Brahma84. Did you watch the scrimmage? If you did, what was your take on Bellville?

Bull's-eye
08-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Texas High School Football has made their 23-3A predictions:

1. Giddings
2. Navasota
3. LaGrange
4. Caldwell
5. Bellville
6. Smithville

buff4ever
08-14-2007, 08:25 AM
you can switch la grange and bellville in those standings in my opinion, unless caldwell gets past bellville.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
you can switch la grange and bellville in those standings in my opinion, unless caldwell gets past bellville.

I like your opinion, and I hope you are right, but we keep losing Sr. players. Treyhand also quit this week. Who will be next?

buff4life
08-14-2007, 02:40 PM
i just heard that lagrange had 5 seniors and two other juniors kicked off the team and they were going to be lacking to begin with so i think they'll be bringing up the 5th spot witih Caldwell in third, and bellville continually losing players doesn't bode well for them

buff4life
08-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever

buff4ever, long time no post...LOSER!!!

zebrablue2
08-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I like your opinion, and I hope you are right, but we keep losing Sr. players. Treyhand also quit this week. Who will be next?

Trahan quitting. are you sure?

CHS_CG
08-14-2007, 02:50 PM
From what I have been hearing around town, we are a lot better than most people are thinking. Even heard somebody we could go as high as #2 in standings. I hope so I would love to see caldwell have a great year! We are long over due!

zebrablue2
08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Trahan quitting. are you sure?

I would have put this Sr. class in the running to contend for the district crown two years ago for Bellville. It is a darn shame all of these kids are dropping out. They were 26-0 grades 7-8-9, and beat most teams by 40 each game. Why are they quitting? Does anyone know? Where is xman? about time for a report from the source.

KL3
08-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Your right zebra, this group was counted on to continue the succes. Now with 4 of the best, maybe the 4 best players no longer playing, that is a huge dissapointment.

Bull's-eye
08-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I would have put this Sr. class in the running to contend for the district crown two years ago for Bellville. It is a darn shame all of these kids are dropping out. They were 26-0 grades 7-8-9, and beat most teams by 40 each game. Why are they quitting? Does anyone know?

Several years ago, I heard that this class had a good chance to compete for a state championship. Coach Chancellor has built a very good football program over the last 6 or 7 years. Are the players not buying into his coaching philosophy?

winthebigone
08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Hands down, Brock Fitzehenry in the best back in the district.

But.........Who is next best ball carrier?

What is the word on Derek Pratt of Navasota and Xavier Canto of Caldwell?

Can one of them carry their respective teams to a district title?

rancher
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
The coffee talk at Newman's is there are a lot of problems with the Bellville Football program. Like you, I have watched this Senior Class since jr. high do nothing but win. Now, they cannot field a team. I also hear rumblings that now underclassmen are quitting or thinking of doing so. Too much talent in Bellville for this to happen. Does Bellville need a change of direction in the coaching ranks to restore the program. Makes you wonder now why such a fine coach as Valetine left after all the years of service.

burnet44
08-14-2007, 09:54 PM
players reflect leasdership

LEADERSHIP FROM HOME

You dont let them quit

no blast me for that
parents let their kids quit too easily these days

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
From what I have been hearing around town, we are a lot better than most people are thinking. Even heard somebody we could go as high as #2 in standings. I hope so I would love to see caldwell have a great year! We are long over due!

By watching caldwell last year I knew they would be good this year. Look for the Hornets to give Giddings the best test in the District.

KL3
08-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Too much talent in Bellville for this to happen.

Your exactly right rancher. Bellville has had a great run starting in 2000 with a lot of talent coming through the program, and now it seems to have hit a big bump. The Buenger led group made a couple great runs in the playoffs a few years back and I think many people expected to continue that kind of success just by looking at how much talent was still down there in the system.

The 7th, 8th, and freshman teams have had an unbelievable amount of success the last several years but it seems to not be translating to varsity success for whatever reason these last couple seasons. Now, there is still quite a bit of talent in the system, but you can't lose 4 of your top players out of your senior class and not expect to take a big hit, especially in 3A.

The sophomore class might just be the most talented Bellville has had come through and they are really going to have some players step up out of that group for this season to be a good one.

Brahma84
08-14-2007, 10:55 PM
The class of 2007 was supposed to be the class to make a run last year, and look what happened. The class of 2008 was supposed to step up big this year, and the class of 2010 is said to be very talented. What about the class of 2009? As Freshman, they went 10-0 out scoring opponents 331-66. They are the class that will have to step up this year. Right now it looks like Medina and Nunn could start in the backfield, Dodd may start a reciever if he can get healthy. Hackemack, Tallerine, Nunn and Ayala look to start on Defense. Huebner will start at center and Babin, Stark and Moya could start on the line. Lots of questions need to be answered.

wookinpanub
08-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG

I heard the same thing. Last year the JV was 9-1 with its only loss when Cantu didn't play. When he played his one varsity game in the 47-6 opener win over 4A playoff team Elgin, he was all over the field (similar to the Mike Stone era). Could bode well for team with all-district players (RB Sims and QB Ofczarczak back).

Just hope players and coaches cut each other some slack because I hear they need to give each other credit and play with tough humility so there's not a repeat of the 26-point Bellville nightmare comeback that left the orange brigade at home.

Players (especially parents) have to realize coaches are there for a reason and are paid to make tough choices. This chased Cobia away 2 years ago after he built a solid program before parents got personal and insulted him in the local paper.

The team could go 4-6 just as easily as 11-3 without playing and thinking with self discipline. The talent is there this year, no doubt, but you have to be on the same page. So many seniors on the team have to relish their last year and make smart choices. Coaches must do the same or it could be curtains. It's a tough schedule.

Elgin (road game vs. an improved 4A team with Jasper's ex-coach, Lauve). A win will open eyes.

Rockdale (don't take Tigers lightly. They didn't like that shutout last year).

Hearne (yea, theyr're 2A but they also played 13 games last year and have upset Caldwell twice in the past five years.

Robinson - This is the first huge test for the Hornets. The ex state runner-up never play patsy. Caldwell is due a win since they've never beaten Robision in five tries. It's a home game and could set the tone for the season.

Hutto - The Hippos' school has grown too much to not be competitive. C-town has too many talented, quick seniors to play dead. It's a road game at the first of two turf stadiums of the season.

Smithville - The TIgers are still a couple years from possibly making a little noise, but don't overlook them either. They nearly beat Caldwell about three years ago and it wasn't pretty.

La Grange - By far, the biggest home game of the season regarding playoff picture since Giddings is such a strong favorite and this game could decide 2nd or 3rd place. Two one-point losses to LG has gotten old.

Giddings - The Buffs are good, but so is Caldwell if they calm down and play error-free football and avoid miscues that cost them the game last year after leading until right before halftime. It's a road game, so get prepared.

Navasota - Rattlers have a new stadium and will want to prove themselves after a disappointing season last year. This game, I think will decide 2nd and 3rd place unless Caldwell loses to La Grange earlier in the year. Four full quarters required, not 3 and a half.

Bellville - Everyone says the Bulls have lost strong players but tradition counts for a lot and they've established it. In Caldwell's favor is that come-from-behind loss to Bellville last year. If they let that happen again, I see some major coaching changes because next year may be a rebuilding year.

Season prediction: 6-4, fourth place in district unless rumors of teamwork are true and players and coaches remember where they came from. (Sorry, fellas, but it just seems the wrong coach or player always gets the big head and blows it when it really counts. Hope I'm wrong). Ex-coaches need to quit ruining it for the kids, too.

Good luck, Hornets

zebrablue2
08-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by wookinpanub
I heard the same thing. Last year the JV was 9-1 with its only loss when Cantu didn't play. When he played his one varsity game in the 47-6 opener win over 4A playoff team Elgin, he was all over the field (similar to the Mike Stone era). Could bode well for team with all-district players (RB Sims and QB Ofczarczak back).

Just hope players and coaches cut each other some slack because I hear they need to give each other credit and play with tough humility so there's not a repeat of the 26-point Bellville nightmare comeback that left the orange brigade at home.

Players (especially parents) have to realize coaches are there for a reason and are paid to make tough choices. This chased Cobia away 2 years ago after he built a solid program before parents got personal and insulted him in the local paper.

The team could go 4-6 just as easily as 11-3 without playing and thinking with self discipline. The talent is there this year, no doubt, but you have to be on the same page. So many seniors on the team have to relish their last year and make smart choices. Coaches must do the same or it could be curtains. It's a tough schedule.

Elgin (road game vs. an improved 4A team with Jasper's ex-coach, Lauve). A win will open eyes.

Rockdale (don't take Tigers lightly. They didn't like that shutout last year).

Hearne (yea, theyr're 2A but they also played 13 games last year and have upset Caldwell twice in the past five years.

Robinson - This is the first huge test for the Hornets. The ex state runner-up never play patsy. Caldwell is due a win since they've never beaten Robision in five tries. It's a home game and could set the tone for the season.

Hutto - The Hippos' school has grown too much to not be competitive. C-town has too many talented, quick seniors to play dead. It's a road game at the first of two turf stadiums of the season.

Smithville - The TIgers are still a couple years from possibly making a little noise, but don't overlook them either. They nearly beat Caldwell about three years ago and it wasn't pretty.

La Grange - By far, the biggest home game of the season regarding playoff picture since Giddings is such a strong favorite and this game could decide 2nd or 3rd place. Two one-point losses to LG has gotten old.

Giddings - The Buffs are good, but so is Caldwell if they calm down and play error-free football and avoid miscues that cost them the game last year after leading until right before halftime. It's a road game, so get prepared.

Navasota - Rattlers have a new stadium and will want to prove themselves after a disappointing season last year. This game, I think will decide 2nd and 3rd place unless Caldwell loses to La Grange earlier in the year. Four full quarters required, not 3 and a half.

Bellville - Everyone says the Bulls have lost strong players but tradition counts for a lot and they've established it. In Caldwell's favor is that come-from-behind loss to Bellville last year. If they let that happen again, I see some major coaching changes because next year may be a rebuilding year.

Season prediction: 6-4, fourth place in district unless rumors of teamwork are true and players and coaches remember where they came from. (Sorry, fellas, but it just seems the wrong coach or player always gets the big head and blows it when it really counts. Hope I'm wrong). Ex-coaches need to quit ruining it for the kids, too.

Good luck, Hornets

good first post. welcome to the board. I will pick caldwell to make the playoffs.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by KL3

The sophomore class might just be the most talented Bellville has had come through and they are really going to have some players step up out of that group for this season to be a good one.

But will they still be playing 2 years from now????

Bull19
08-23-2007, 11:03 PM
But will they still be playing 2 years from now????

no. their is a really good reason why everybody quits bellville high school athletics (esp. fball) and why coaches leave after one year or so and i think we all know why. this year may finally show bellville fball's true colors???? only time will tell i guess?

Bull's-eye
08-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Bellville had a good scrimmage against 4A Santa Fe, scoring 7
TD's and holding the Indians to only 2 scores. In the live action, Bellville won 14-0. The defense continues to be better than expected and the offense is starting to come around. RB Nunn had some great runs and the passing game finally came to life. Several different receivers had some nice catches, including a long TD grab by WR Dodd and another by the TE Mueller.

Last week, the Bellville defense raised a few eyebrows by holding Brenham to only one first down during the first set of 15 plays. This team will be young and may have some early growing pains, but I expect them to steadily improve with each game. From what I saw Thursday night, Bellville will be in the D23-3A playoff hunt.

KL3
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the info Bulls-eye. In that Bellville/Brenham scrimmage Bellville held Brenham to 22 yards on their first 15 plays in the controlled scrimmage part giving up only 1 first down.

Pudlugger
08-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
i just heard that lagrange had 5 seniors and two other juniors kicked off the team and they were going to be lacking to begin with so i think they'll be bringing up the 5th spot witih Caldwell in third, and bellville continually losing players doesn't bode well for them

I haven't heard anything about this. Can you be more specific or would someone confirm this or is it just another rumor?:(

halfnhalf
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
I also heard that a few players from La Grange were kicked off the team for violating the new "3 strikes" rule or something. I don't have any details or even know for sure that it is true, but that's the word going around.

buff4life
08-24-2007, 04:33 PM
i have high school friends there who said it happened but apparently they're suspended for six games...Kovar, Amos are two names i've heard...

Pudlugger
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
This is not good news for the Leps. They were short on the depth chart as it was so now what? Discipline is important, so I'll have to go with the coaches on this, but it is too bad.:(

rancher
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Went and observed the Bellville and Brenham scrimmage. The Bellville offense did not show up or what did was very anemic. However, I was impressed with the way the defense played at first against Brenham. But, the wore down as the scrimmage went on. Medina at DE is very quick, but lacks size. Crawford controlled the middle and the LBs played well. Did not see the scrimmage last night and cannot comment.

Brahma84
08-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Bellville is returning one offensive starter from last year and three on defense. I would expect the offense to take a while to gel. Conley looked better in the Santa Fe scrimmage. The line gave him time to get set and throw. Nunn also had a great game at running back. Again the defense looked good. Bellville outscored Santa Fe 8-2. This young team needs to keep improving, but they seem to be heading in the right direction.

KL3
08-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Brahma84, or anyone else, can you give a rundown on who is starting for Bellville at all the positions?

Also, that is good news on Nunn. Everyone has known for a few years now what kind of talent he has, it looks like he's finally comfortable now and playing well. He's a big kid (they listed him at 200 lbs last year), and he ran on the sprint relay team in track also.

zebrablue2
08-24-2007, 07:20 PM
many talented sophs. on this team. time will make them better. stick with it guys.

zebrablue2
08-24-2007, 07:20 PM
many talented sophs. on this team. time will make them better. stick with it guys.

Brahma84
08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Bellville starters??
QB: Conley(SR)
OL: Crawford(SR), Huebner(JR), Henley(SR), Babin(JR), Brack(SR)
RB: Nunn(JR) and either Runnels(SOPH) or Medina(JR)
WR: Dodd(JR), Mayfield(SR)
TE: Mueller(SOPH)

DL: Crawford, ?? maybe Stark(JR) or Brack
DE: Nunn, Medina or maybe Ayala(JR)
LB: Padgett(SR), Hackemack(JR), Browning(Soph)

Defensive backfield: Sandman(SR), Tallerine(JR), Mayfield?, Runnels

I think Sandman is going to punt and kick.

I'm sure that this will change, but I think this close for now.