PDA

View Full Version : G$$

rockdale80
08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
em·bat·tle1 /ɛmˈbætl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[em-bat-l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), -tled, -tling. 1. to arrange in order of battle; prepare for battle; arm.
2. to fortify (a town, camp, etc.).

Cum laude....then you should have used this in proper context.

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Correct, & when someone or something is under fire, then "embattled" is appropriate.

EX. Texas Football right now, catching a lot of heat regionally & nationally for all the arrests. Thus the program is embattled right now. You really need to do more reading!

When you hold a press conference to discuss the recent events & plans to move forward, then heck yes you are an embattled program right now. Try again Rockdale 80...

Are we "arguing" or "argueing (sp)" here or just exchanging ideas? Just wondering...

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$

EX. Texas Football right now, catching a lot of heat regionally & nationally for all the arrests. Thus the program is embattled right now. You really need to do more reading!

Locally, yes.
Nationally, no.

It is getting a lot of coverage locally but nationally the buzz just isn't there as if the program is a Miami or USC who are media darlings for different reasons(just an example). I have not heard any of these stories on ESPN they are not talking about it live. They may have written small articles about the incident but they are not highlighted events.

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Locally, yes.
Nationally, no.

It is getting a lot of coverage locally but nationally the buzz just isn't there as if the program is a Miami or USC who are media darlings for different reasons(just an example). I have not heard any of these stories on ESPN they are not talking about it live. They may have written small articles about the incident but they are not highlighted events.

It's out there buddy. More regionally but some nationally.

You don't think Texas is a media darling? Great program & tradition, of course they are a media favorite.

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It's out there buddy. More regionally but some nationally.

You don't think Texas is a media darling? Great program & tradition, of course they are a media favorite. I never said they weren't. I was just using it as comparison.

Txbroadcaster
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
It is out there..but right now Brown gets the benefit of the doubt because up until now his programs have had minor bumps but nothing overly huge like this

NOW if it continues after his zero-tolerance, then I think the media will start turning on him

How the team reacts will decide the image of Brown..if they go thru the next couple of seasons with no major problems then Brown's image will be once a problem happened he stood up and fixed it

If problems continue then it will APPEAR he has lost control or does not care

And lets be honest

When OU was thumping Texas the word was Texas was not tough enough and needed to get meaner

I think they did, but it has led to what we have now

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is out there..but right now Brown gets the benefit of the doubt because up until now his programs have had minor bumps but nothing overly huge like this

NOW if it continues after his zero-tolerance, then I think the media will start turning on him

How the team reacts will decide the image of Brown..if they go thru the next couple of seasons with no major problems then Brown's image will be once a problem happened he stood up and fixed it

If problems continue then it will APPEAR he has lost control or does not care TXBC, you also have to throw in that Mack is great with the media and at protecting his program. Everyone who meets Mack loves him for the person he is.

g$$
I never said they weren't. I was just using it as comparison.

"It is getting a lot of coverage locally but nationally the buzz just isn't there as if the program is a Miami or USC who are media darlings for different reasons(just an example)." --Go Blue

Then what is your comparison?

Txbroadcaster
TXBC, you also have to throw in that Mack is great with the media at protecting his program. Everyone who meets Mack loves him for the person he is.

Yes but that only works so far if the arrests keep happening

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
"It is getting a lot of coverage locally but nationally the buzz just isn't there as if the program is a Miami or USC who are media darlings for different reasons(just an example)."

Then what is your comparison? If Texas were Miami the media such as ESPN to be specific would be ripping them down as if they are all "thugs" and "gangsters"

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Yes but that only works so far if the arrests keep happening True, I think this new policy that he has created will clear up things and provide even more discipline to the team/program as a whole.

DDBooger
If Texas were Miami the media such as ESPN to be specific would be ripping them down as if they are all "thugs" and "gangsters" texas has yet to get into a melee ON THE FIELD or have a player executed in a parkin lot. i'd say thank god UT hasn't reached that point:eek:

g$$

If problems continue then it will APPEAR he has lost control or does not care

And lets be honest

When OU was thumping Texas the word was Texas was not tough enough and needed to get meaner

I think they did, but it has led to what we have now

Agreed & great post. What happens now will tell the tale for Mack's regime. :clap: :clap:

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
texas has yet to get into a melee ON THE FIELD or have a player executed in a parkin lot. i'd say thank god UT hasn't reached that point:eek:

Agreed again.

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
True, I think this new policy that he has created will clear up things and provide even more discipline to the team/program as a whole.

10 arrested in past 18 months
5 in the past 2 months
26 in past 3 years
source: Austin American Statesman

I sure hope this means MORE discipline!

Txbroadcaster
08-06-2007, 12:36 PM
This is where I feel bad for ALL College Coaches

Without the NC I think Brown would be on the hotseat right now..ESPECIALLY if they had not beat OU the last couple of years...BUT

Without the likes of Ramonce Taylor they prob dont win the NC, not only because of his talent but the attitude that allowed Texas not to have any fear and to be truly "tough"...

So did Brown sale his program out by getting the attitude needed? Possibly..but it won him the NC..and yes Vince Young was the catalyst, but even Vince tlks about the attitude some of the players brought to Texas that was lacking in years before.

It is a balancing act ALL coaches face...and I dont envy them

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$
10 arrested in past 18 months
5 in the past 2 months
26 in past 3 years
source: Austin American Statesman

I sure hope this means MORE discipline! It's just like the NFL and their policy. They didn't put it in until the recent strings of arrest. Why must you continue to post those numbers and how many of those arrest led to a conviction? Also how many were dismissed?

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
It's just like the NFL and their policy. They didn't put it in until the recent strings of arrest. Why must you continue to post those numbers and how many of those arrest led to a conviction? Also how many were dismissed?

Just a point of reference. Some were dismissed. Mack's policy, for the last time, is not directly linked to the NFL's. Mack had to do something & he did. Goodell is just trying to clean up his league b/c Tagliabue would not.

TXB: great points on how tough it is to win & have good kids. Constant balancing act. I don't envy them either but they are compensated well to deal with it!

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Just a point of reference. Some were dismissed. Mack's policy, for the last time, is not directly linked to the NFL's. Mack had to do something & he did. Goodell is just trying to clean up his league b/c Tagliabue would not.
You made my point for me but it's okay because you said it yourself and no one else did. Goodell wants to clean up his leage so he creates a new policy. Mack wants to clean up his team so he makes this policy. Same point that I have made to you. ;)

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:50 PM
You made my point for me but it's okay because you said it yourself and no one else did. Goodell wants to clean up his leage so he creates a new policy. Mack wants to clean up his team so he makes this policy. Same point that I have made to you. ;)

The 2 are only related if you want them to be, & who cares anyway? I am just glad the NFL & NCAA seem to be taking a stand against criminal behavior. That's all that matters in the end.

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The 2 are only related if you want them to be, & who cares anyway? I am just glad the NFL & NCAA seem to be taking a stand against criminal behavior. That's all that matters in the end. Isn't anything related if you want them to be? :D:D:D:nerd: