PDA

View Full Version : Brown institutes 'zero tolerance' policy as embroiled Texas opens camp

KTA
08-05-2007, 11:57 PM
AUSTIN, Texas -- As the barrage of off-the-field incidents involving his teammates piled up this summer, University of Texas offensive tackle Tony Hills said he couldn't believe some of the headlines.

"I was hearing them and thinking 'That's crazy,' " Hills said, slowly shaking his head. "That's the only thing I kept thinking."

Coach Mack Brown's most tumultuous offseason since arriving in Austin has only gotten worse, as four Longhorns were arrested in the last eight weeks.

Freshman defensive tackle Dre Jones, a Parade All-American from El Paso, was suspended last week after he was charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon in connection with an armed robbery at an Austin apartment.

Playmaking sophomore linebacker Sergio Kindle was charged the previous week with driving while intoxicated. Sophomore defensive end Henry Melton was charged with driving while intoxicated in June.

Jones' arrest was the most shocking of the three; it came only 72 hours after Brown chided reporters for making too big of a deal out of the recent arrests in his program.

A fourth Texas player, former safety Robert Joseph, was charged in the same incident. Joseph had already left the Texas team after being arrested in a separate incident earlier in the summer.

Eight current or former Longhorn football players have been arrested since Texas claimed the national championship against Southern California in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

Those actions have led Brown to institute a "zero tolerance" policy for any potential problems with the law. Kindle and Melton were the first to be affected; both were suspended Sunday for the first three games of the upcoming season.

Brown apologized on Sunday to the university's administrators, faculty, fans and students for the range of "embarrassing incidents" that occurred this summer. He said he was "disappointed" with the recent string of arrests.

"It's not what we have worked so hard for 9 ½ years to portray in our program of class, integrity and character," Brown said. "It's something we aren't proud of. But I can also assure you that it's not indicative of who this team really is. We're excited to be able to prove that."

Shortly after Melton's arrest, Brown formed a leadership council of 10 seniors whom he hopes will act as role models for the rest of the team.

"With all the external issues on this team, leaders on this team will try to preach that we are a family," defensive tackle Frank Okam said. "This is where people can lean on when times get tough. And with that, I think it will help our team get a little stronger."

And, as fall practice begins on Monday, it's also given Brown a motivational ploy for the upcoming season.

"Our slogan will be to 'earn the right,' because some people seem to have taken advantage of being at the University of Texas on a great team without [doing it] the right way," he said. "It's my job to make sure that the guys who are playing have earned that right."

Brown doesn't think the spate of recent incidents have tarnished his reputation.

"It gives me a chance, as disappointed as I am, to take a great stand and step up and be strong," Brown said. "But I've spent more time lately thinking about things other than football. I'd rather get back to football."

Another test came last week, when running backs coach Ken Rucker announced that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo surgery on Aug. 27. Rucker will remain with the team through training camp before leaving the weekend prior to the Longhorns' opener against Arkansas State.

His players said that Brown has remained resolute, despite the recent tribulations.

"It's like he's Superman," Hills said. "Things keep happening. They keep throwing stuff at him and he just keeps doing what he's doing best."

Hills said, since he arrived at Texas, the only difference in Brown is a change in his hair color -- understandable considering the nature of his job.

"You have 100 kids and see if your hair doesn't get a little gray," Hills said.

Tim Griffin covers the Big 12 for the San Antonio Express-News.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2962514

Cameron Crazy
08-06-2007, 12:30 AM
It's about time he does that. Goodness, he was about to lose his whole team

LH Panther Mom
08-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Maybe Mack reads the Downlow and took g$$'s advice. :D ;) (Sorry g....couldn't help myself. :) ) My stance was pretty much to wait and see how he handled the situation(s) before throwing a stone for him not being tough enough. Sometimes the fence is a good place to be. It's easy to criticize from the outside looking in (and this applies to all facets of life). And honestly, any coach who makes public every single disciplinary action taken doesn't earn a lot of my respect. I do think with the recent string of events the last 2 months, Mack made the right stand. It's sad that there are some (for ALL universities) who take advantage of the opportunity that has been handed to them.

"Another test came last week, when running backs coach Ken Rucker announced that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo surgery on Aug. 27. Rucker will remain with the team through training camp before leaving the weekend prior to the Longhorns' opener against Arkansas State."
:( My prayers for him during this time....hopefully this will have a good outcome.

JR2004
08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Mack's handling this just as well as he's handled everything thrown at him since he stepped on campus in 98. (Well the whole 5 game losing streak to Jokelahoma was embarrassing, but other than that he's run a great program.) Sometimes you get a run of players that turn out like this, but Mack has taken care of it just like most Longhorn fans knew he would.

g$$
08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
"Another test came last week, when running backs coach Ken Rucker announced that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo surgery on Aug. 27. Rucker will remain with the team through training camp before leaving the weekend prior to the Longhorns' opener against Arkansas State."

Ken Rucker is as fine a man as I have ever gotten to know. I got to know him when he coached at A&M for years before leaving for Georgia. He was a pleasure to work with & I wish him a speedy recovery. Players think of "Coach Ruck" like a father & he expects them to behave right on & off the field. Pulling for you Ruck.

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe Mack reads the Downlow and took g$$'s advice. :D ;) (Sorry g....couldn't help myself.

Mack did the right thing, & he doesn't need me telling him either. But, it had to be done & any self-respecting fan of that school or sports in general knows that.

I know you were just kidding. We can all have opinions, just so happens Mack & I agree on this one. Except, I would have done something sooner. The #s speak for themselves.

DDBooger
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by g$$
The #s speak for themselves. then let them!:cool: cause they certainly aren't speaking BY THEMSELVES

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by g$$
The #s speak for themselves.

True...

All-Time; 806-313-33
vs. A&M; 73-35-5
vs. Oklahoma; 57-39-5

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
then let them!:cool: cause they certainly aren't speaking BY THEMSELVES

Still defensive huh? :)

I can have opinions just like the next guy. And whether you agree or not is meaningless to me.

rockdale80
08-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by KTA
AUSTIN, Texas -- As the barrage of off-the-field incidents involving his teammates piled up this summer, University of Texas offensive tackle Tony Hills said he couldn't believe some of the headlines.

"I was hearing them and thinking 'That's crazy,' " Hills said, slowly shaking his head. "That's the only thing I kept thinking."

Coach Mack Brown's most tumultuous offseason since arriving in Austin has only gotten worse, as four Longhorns were arrested in the last eight weeks.

Freshman defensive tackle Dre Jones, a Parade All-American from El Paso, was suspended last week after he was charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon in connection with an armed robbery at an Austin apartment.

Playmaking sophomore linebacker Sergio Kindle was charged the previous week with driving while intoxicated. Sophomore defensive end Henry Melton was charged with driving while intoxicated in June.

Jones' arrest was the most shocking of the three; it came only 72 hours after Brown chided reporters for making too big of a deal out of the recent arrests in his program.

A fourth Texas player, former safety Robert Joseph, was charged in the same incident. Joseph had already left the Texas team after being arrested in a separate incident earlier in the summer.

Eight current or former Longhorn football players have been arrested since Texas claimed the national championship against Southern California in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

Those actions have led Brown to institute a "zero tolerance" policy for any potential problems with the law. Kindle and Melton were the first to be affected; both were suspended Sunday for the first three games of the upcoming season.

Brown apologized on Sunday to the university's administrators, faculty, fans and students for the range of "embarrassing incidents" that occurred this summer. He said he was "disappointed" with the recent string of arrests.

"It's not what we have worked so hard for 9 ½ years to portray in our program of class, integrity and character," Brown said. "It's something we aren't proud of. But I can also assure you that it's not indicative of who this team really is. We're excited to be able to prove that."

Shortly after Melton's arrest, Brown formed a leadership council of 10 seniors whom he hopes will act as role models for the rest of the team.

"With all the external issues on this team, leaders on this team will try to preach that we are a family," defensive tackle Frank Okam said. "This is where people can lean on when times get tough. And with that, I think it will help our team get a little stronger."

And, as fall practice begins on Monday, it's also given Brown a motivational ploy for the upcoming season.

"Our slogan will be to 'earn the right,' because some people seem to have taken advantage of being at the University of Texas on a great team without [doing it] the right way," he said. "It's my job to make sure that the guys who are playing have earned that right."

Brown doesn't think the spate of recent incidents have tarnished his reputation.

"It gives me a chance, as disappointed as I am, to take a great stand and step up and be strong," Brown said. "But I've spent more time lately thinking about things other than football. I'd rather get back to football."

Another test came last week, when running backs coach Ken Rucker announced that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo surgery on Aug. 27. Rucker will remain with the team through training camp before leaving the weekend prior to the Longhorns' opener against Arkansas State.

His players said that Brown has remained resolute, despite the recent tribulations.

"It's like he's Superman," Hills said. "Things keep happening. They keep throwing stuff at him and he just keeps doing what he's doing best."

Hills said, since he arrived at Texas, the only difference in Brown is a change in his hair color -- understandable considering the nature of his job.

"You have 100 kids and see if your hair doesn't get a little gray," Hills said.

quick G$$...cover up your tent. I know news like this gets you all excited......

DDBooger
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Still defensive huh? :) still overgeneralizing huh?;)

Originally posted by g$$
I can have opinions just like the next guy. then why say...

Originally posted by g$$
The #s speak for themselves. lmao

Originally posted by g$$
And whether you agree or not is meaningless to me. so is much of your UNBIASED care for the horns! lol ah g$$ if anyone is defensive about anything its you and your statements. nobody's denying the problem, some are just enjoying it

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
True...

All-Time; 806-313-33
vs. A&M; 73-35-5
vs. Oklahoma; 57-39-5

True. So do these #s:

10 arrested in past 18 months
5 in the past 2 months
26 in past 3 years
source: Austin American Statesman

Mack Brown institutes a Zero Tolerance Policy this week & apologizes for actions of his players in a press conference. True that...

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
quick G$$...cover up your tent. I know news like this gets you all excited......

Point has been made. So has mine to you in another thread!

Tissues are on aisle 9 too. See ya in November. And you better get ready for TCU in your house...hold on, you just cheer from home anyway & attend elsewhere right?

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$
True. So do these #s:

10 arrested in past 18 months
5 in the past 2 months
26 in past 3 years
source: Austin American Statesman

Mack Brown institutes a Zero Tolerance Policy this week & apologizes for actions of his players in a press conference. True that... The NFL hasn't had the zero tolerance policy till the recent string of arrest also. ;) So now Mack is initiating it and you make a big deal. It's good that he is and if you look at the guys he has recruited this year they are all character type of guys. He is doing what he has to do to get rid of the bad apples but every university has them even your beloved alma mater Texas A&M.

Also some of those arrest did not lead to conviction or the chargest were thrown out because they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time so that should not be in your generalization.

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
still overgeneralizing huh?;)

then why say...
lmao

so is much of your UNBIASED care for the horns! lol ah g$$ if anyone is defensive about anything its you and your statements. nobody's denying the problem, some are just enjoying it

Only thing I am enjoying is reading your senseless posts...damage/spin control at its best (worst?).

DDBooger
08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Only thing I am enjoying is reading your senseless posts...damage/spin control at its best (worst?). haha more like you mischaracterizing to satisfy your desired outcome and you just completely disconnecting from anything coherent. again this is you defending not me denying! lol big difference! i assumed you could figure that out! but guess when vision is narrow some things are not as apparent.

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:39 AM
The NFL hasn't had the zero tolerance policy till the recent string of arrest also. ;) So now Mack is initiating it and you make a big deal. It's good that he is and if you look at the guys he has recruited this year they are all character type of guys. He is doing what he has to do to get rid of the bad apples but every university has them even your beloved alma mater Texas A&M.

Also some of those arrest did not lead to conviction or the chargest were thrown out because they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time so that should not be in your generalization.

You make less sense every time you post. Andre Jones was one of those "character" guys Mack bragged on at one time too. Wrong place wrong time? Nice...study to be a lawyer fella! If you are constantly in the wrong place then you need to pick better friends huh? I hope you have heard that from your parents at some point. Pretty simple.

Mack put the policy in place because of what has happened in his program. It has nothing to do with the NFL. Try again...

rockdale80
08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Point has been made. So has mine to you in another thread!

Tissues are on aisle 9 too. See ya in November. And you better get ready for TCU in your house...hold on, you just cheer from home anyway & attend elsewhere right?

Yawn...another average comeback from a person with average intelligence and argueing skills...or lack of. And next time use your big boy voice when you talk to me.

DDBooger
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You make less sense every time you post. cause your a good judge of that:rolleyes: state opinions yet say # speak for themself! oops im spinning! but not denying! funny how that works in your mind lol you are entertaining!http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/willowsworld/eating-popcorn-03.gif

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Yawn...another average comeback from a person with average intelligence and argueing skills...or lack of. And next time use your big boy voice when you talk to me.

Anyday, anytime. We can discuss whatever you desire & let's see who is average...

My intelligence level (Cum Laude btw) sure knows how to spell "arguing" buddy! Try again...

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You make less sense every time you post. Andre Jones was one of those "character" guys Mack bragged on at one time too. Wrong place wrong time? Nice...study to be a lawyer fella! If you are constantly in the wrong place then you need to pick better friends huh? I hope you have heard that from your parents at some point. Pretty simple.

Mack put the policy in place because of what has happened in his program. It has nothing to do with the NFL. Try again... What is happening to his program? I don't see it crumbling or anything. You are quick to chastise the University of Texas so when people defend it you do not let them give their opinion and are quick to jump on those who do but when the script is flipped on you, you get angry and defend your school but nobody ridicules you for that.

As for my parents and me learning from them. I will hang out with whoever I feel like hanging out with because I get along with a lot of different people and I know as long as I don't make any bad decisions to ruin me and my future career that everything will be okay and I have faith in the judicial system to protect me from any mishaps which may occur when I am not under the influence of any beverage or narcotic.

rockdale80
08-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Anyday, anytime. We can discuss whatever you desire & let's see who is average...

My intelligence level (Cum Laude btw) sure knows how to spell "arguing" buddy! Try again...

I guess a typo means I am an idiot. And was that a threat. Dang. G$$ is getting all bent out of shape because someone finally called him ignorant. I guess had better watch my back in case some infantile douche comes after me. Like I said....tuck your little chubby away and get off your high horse.

Phil C
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I see another closed thread coming.

crzyjournalist03
08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

lol...honestly, I opened the thread, scrolled through it to see who the posters in it were, and then decided not to waste my time reading any of it.

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I guess a typo means I am an idiot. And was that a threat. Dang. G$$ is getting all bent out of shape because someone finally called him ignorant. I guess had better watch my back in case some infantile douche comes after me. Like I said....tuck your little chubby away and get off your high horse.

Not a threat, not even close. I said we can discuss whatever you desire. You are the one resorting to calling names (douche = said by you), not me. Who is infantile here?

Not a typo either = I have seen you spell it that way many times. Does not make you stupid either, just a bad speller.

My horse is fine! You just don't like the truth.

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
What is happening to his program? I don't see it crumbling or anything. You are quick to chastise the University of Texas so when people defend it you do not let them give their opinion and are quick to jump on those who do but when the script is flipped on you, you get angry and defend your school but nobody ridicules you for that.

As for my parents and me learning from them. I will hang out with whoever I feel like hanging out with because I get along with a lot of different people and I know as long as I don't make any bad decisions to ruin me and my future career that everything will be okay and I have faith in the judicial system to protect me from any mishaps which may occur when I am not under the influence of any beverage or narcotic.

Crumbling, NO. Embattled right now, YES.

Good luck to you & hope it all works out.

rockdale80
08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Not a threat, not even close. I said we can discuss whatever you desire. You are the one resorting to calling names (douche = said by you), not me. Who is infantile here?

Not a typo either = I have seen you spell it that way many times. Does not make you stupid either, just a bad speller.

My horse is fine! You just don't like the truth.

I am pretty sure there is nothing about you that I admire or respect. So no need to discuss anything in person. And I did call you a douche...you poor thing. As you have said though...if the shoe fits. And I am pretty sure when I said infantile I was talking about you. Through all of your incessant ramblings you have not once made a valid arguement. Noone has said that these blemishes are not an embarrasment. I think they are and everyone can agree. You just keep going and making it personal. You threw the first stone at me. If you dont think so then go reread your posts directed at me.

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:58 AM
cause your a good judge of that:rolleyes: state opinions yet say # speak for themself! oops im spinning! but not denying! funny how that works in your mind lol you are entertaining!http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/willowsworld/eating-popcorn-03.gif

Glad you enjoyed it. Have a good one!

DDBooger
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Glad you enjoyed it. Have a good one! ;) you too g$$! you can always liven up a forum! haha im out yall boys don't hurt yourselves

rockdale80
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
lol...honestly, I opened the thread, scrolled through it to see who the posters in it were, and then decided not to waste my time reading any of it.

I have already told you how to not waste your itme with my posts....click the ignore button. Its that easy.

lostaussie
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
and this thread will go away in 5..........4.............3.............:D

Cameron Crazy
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Personally, I am tired of seeing these theads. It's the same thing over and over.

Phil C
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Personally, I am tired of seeing these theads. It's the same thing over and over.

And the lonely voice of youth says "What is Truth?"

:(

Ranger Mom
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
and this thread will go away in 5..........4.............3.............:D

Actually...until you posted that....it hadn't been posted on in almost 3-1/2 hours and was working it's way down!! :D :D

3afan
08-06-2007, 04:05 PM
the biases are so obvious its almost comical ...............

luvhoops34
08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

No chit Phil, me too:D

luvhoops34
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy

No, no

G$ and Booger arguing is always fun!

Emerson1
08-07-2007, 12:13 AM
from another board

"Here is my opinion on a possible cause of the increasing trend. I think it is similar to what happened to Miami in the late 80's and early 90's. As a team recruits better and better athletes, I believe there is an increasing chance that players will be signed that have been "protected" in high school, and not held accountable. When you combine that with the decreased number of visits allowed by the coaching staff, it creates an environment that leads to more of these types of kids and actions. If you combine that with the perceived party atmosphere of Austin, some of this is inevitable.

I have seen numerous comments that there was no evidence of misbehavior from alot of these kids, but if they were not held accountable, that is to be expected."

Now don't misunderstand, I would much rather sign a #1 class every year and take my chances. Also, if you guys were not in the spotlight as much it likely would not be as widely discussed. But then again, if you signed all these great athletes, and you weren't in the spotlight, a new coach would be on the way.

bobcat1
08-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by KTA

Are you kidding me? Let me say 2 words. Applewhite Simms. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: