PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Police?

ElMeroMero
02-17-2004, 01:43 PM
So whats going on with this board and the grammar police. It seems like there out to get you. Anyways, where the grammar police at?

JasperDog94
02-17-2004, 03:33 PM
They're right behind you, watching everything you say, write, or type. You see that painting on the wall? Look very closely at the eyes...

Old No. 7
02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I guess I'll get hauls to jail cause I can't spells good al da time. :D

Bandera YaYa
02-17-2004, 04:00 PM
I find myself distracted alot because of the spelling on here....what really gets me is the usage of "know" and "now".........sometimes it really gets bad.....and it gets hysterical at times!! :D But I don't care...it doesn't make me upset....why the topic? Did I miss something? Has someone been complaining about the spelling on here????

Old Cardinal
02-17-2004, 05:45 PM
I get on here for fun and relaxation. I have a spell check on most other communication. I get tired of knit-picking English Teachers using their so called superiority tactics to slam-dunk the various participants. I still write in an english style of years ago and really don't care to stay up with the current knit-picker fads... If I ever write a book, I will just go down to the local fast food establishment, in the summer, and hire a knit-picking English teacher($9.00 per hour). They are the ones that can say, "Would you like fries with that?"-in perfect diction of course! You can't feed your family very well as a knit-picker; but there is a big old technological and ecomomically driven world out there waiting for those who want to conquer something besides predicate nominatives!

<small>[ February 17, 2004, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

20dawgz05
02-17-2004, 06:40 PM
yeah i cant spell at all... maybe yall 'grammer police' should instal a spell check on here like in word!!!!.... i could spell really good when i was homeschooled but when i went to that burnet SKUELIN it just went away lol!!!!!

jason
02-17-2004, 08:30 PM
20dawgz05:
yeah i cant spell at all... maybe yall 'grammer police' should instal a spell check on here like in word!!!!.... i could spell really good when i was homeschooled but when i went to that burnet SKUELIN it just went away lol!!!!!instaLL :D

20dawgz05
02-17-2004, 08:44 PM
shut up Jason... believe it or not i had it like that first but it didnt look right ANYWAYS....

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and youcan sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervet lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Wierd, huh?

SintonFan
02-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Don't complain about the grammar police. Just add to the "Make your own word" topic. Heck, you can't go wrong there!
You just being sillyillus... :D

poncho
02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
I don't mine a fuw mised speeled words, but after awhile it kinda gits on yo nerves. lol hehe. :D

SintonFan
02-17-2004, 10:36 PM
poncho:
I don't mine a fuw mised speeled words, but after awhile it kinda gits on yo nerves. lol hehe. :D .
FUW
Is that pronounced fway? As in enfuego?

slpybear the bullfan
02-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I get distracted by the poor quality of writing in the posts here... but I also don't worry too much as this is "recreational writing". That said, here is my $.02 on a related matter...

I see a lot of documents and communiques in my job. A lot of times the only contact I will have with someone is their writings.

You would not believe how poorly people can write. And you also would not believe how many people form perceptions based upon the presentation of your writing skills. I have seen people get labled and stereotyped from their poor writings... and good writings. And spell checkers will not make up for bad structure, logic, and content.

Another biggie is job applications... you cannot believe how many applications we receive that look like a kid filled them out. It is probably wrong to judge the applicant by his writing skills... but I guarantee you it can/will happen.

...two more cents... some of the best money you will spend if you attend college is to take a technical/business writing class. Yes, you will be driven insane by "font" nazis... but when you get out where it counts it will be money well spent.

I step off the soapbox and humbly go back to the peanut gallery...

<small>[ February 17, 2004, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: slpybear the bullfan ]</small>

Ranger Mom
02-17-2004, 11:42 PM
I try very hard to use correct grammar at all times. (Thank you Mrs. Tiller, may you rest in peace!!)
It doesn't bother me if anyone else does it, but I HAVE to go back and edit mine if I find a typo in it!! It drives me crazy otherwise.

Am I neurotic?? :p

slpybear the bullfan
02-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Ranger Mom:
I try very hard to use correct grammar at all times. (Thank you Mrs. Tiller, may you rest in peace!!)
It doesn't bother me if anyone else does it, but I HAVE to go back and edit mine if I find a typo in it!! It drives me crazy otherwise.

Am I neurotic?? :p Same here Rangermom, Same here... Not Neurotic... unless those voices in the head turn angry.

lepfan
02-17-2004, 11:53 PM
I have my pet peeves in grammer...like using double negatives....a lot of times when I am typing on here I toss out the grammer and type whatever...I bet I drive a lot of people crazy with those 3 little periods I put in after every thought...right? It is my way of saying take a breath...

slpybear the bullfan
02-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Not at all Lepfan... Not at all...

If you go back and read my posts, you will see I am a big fan of the "three little periods" as well. (There actually is a name for those, but I unplugged those brain cells that recorded that).

I use them because on the forum I like to type like I talk... you know?

PPHSfan
02-17-2004, 11:58 PM
ElMeroMero:
So whats going on with this board and the grammar police. It seems like there out to get you. Anyways, where the grammar police at?Well since nobody else bit...The correct way to ask your question would be "Where are the Grammar Police?"

at is a preposition and should never come at the end of a sentence. :D

SintonFan
02-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Snicker... :D

poncho
02-18-2004, 02:34 AM
SintonFan:

poncho:
I don't mine a fuw mised speeled words, but after awhile it kinda gits on yo nerves. lol hehe. :D .
FUW
Is that pronounced fway? As in enfuego?Fuw rhymes with who,shoe,zoo. Ebonics and poor spelling hehe!

spiveyrat
02-18-2004, 06:56 AM
Old Cardinal:
but there is a big old technological and ecomomically driven world out there waiting for those who want to conquer something besides predicate nominatives!Don't you think those who find success in that "big old technological and economically driven world" are doing so, at least in part, because they are good communicators in their writing?

ElMeroMero
02-18-2004, 02:01 PM
So it appears PPHSfan is part of the grammar police. This one better be a warning.

PPHSfan
02-18-2004, 04:22 PM
ElMeroMero:
So it appears PPHSfan is part of the grammar police. This one better be a warning.LOL, Yea and I am also the vocabulary teacher. For todays lesson look up IRONY, SARCASM, and the phrase TOUNGE IN CHEEK. :D

Bandera YaYa
02-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Good one, PPHSfan.....can always count on you for a laugh!!! :D :D

Old Cardinal
02-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey Pancho: That "a fuw" isn't that the sound a mule makes when he raises up his tail?