View Full Version : Mack takes action, suspends Andre' Jones ...good for him

g$$
08-05-2007, 06:58 AM
COMMENTARY: JOHN KELSO

Looks like it's time for the Horns to suit up – in prison khakis
Click-2-Listen
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, August 05, 2007

They say you can't tell the players without a scorecard. With the Texas football team, rewrite that to say you can't tell the players without a rap sheet.

It's looking like who will be starting this year in the Texas lineup will depend on who's been in a lineup at the Austin Police Department.

Even for a season-ticket holder like me, it's hard to keep up with 'em all.

Let's see: Andre Jones, who was suspended from the team Friday, is the 6-foot-5, 295-pound freshman defensive tackle and Parade All-American who is charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon, a first-degree felony, in connection with an armed robbery in a Southeast Austin apartment. Henry Melton is the sophomore defensive end who was charged in June with driving while intoxicated on Sixth Street. Sergio Kindle is the sophomore linebacker who was charged a week ago Saturday with DWI on South First Street.

And that's just some of 'em. Eight current or former Texas football players have been arrested since the Horns won the national championship against the University of Southern California in the 2006 Rose Bowl. I can't keep 'em all straight. Which is the problem Mack Brown is facing. He can't keep 'em all straight, either.

The Horns don't need a defensive coordinator. They need a defense attorney.

The key to Texas football success this year? It's how many players can run well in orange jumpsuits and ankle bracelets. Make that burnt orange jumpsuits.

What's the matter with these UT knuckleheads anyway? Are they trying to out-Miami Miami? Don't they realize they've been given the chance to go to college? They take this golden educational egg, and they fumble it on the 1-yard line.

This team has had so many arrests, I'm starting to think that instead of playing "The Eyes of Texas," the Longhorn band should break out with Sam Cooke's "Chain Gang," as in "that's the sound of the men working on the chain ga-a-ang."

Man, it's going to be hard to figure out the point spread on the Longhorns from week to week. It'll depend on who's out on bail. Instead of the coaches, I hear this year, the team probation officers will lead the Longhorns out onto the field.

And how about those new striped uniforms for home games?

Still, the Longhorns remain a team of honor. As in, "Yes, your honor" and "No, your honor."

I mean, this has gotten so bad that the refs might not use a real coin during the coin toss for fear that one of the UT players will steal it.

The one that really gets me is Jones. Court affidavits say that a witness said that during the apartment robbery Jones acted like he had a gun in his waistband.

They also say Jones and former Longhorn freshman Robert Joseph, aka N.O., as in New Orleans, stole cash, cell phones, a laptop and video game systems.

Tip to incoming freshman football players: Don't hang out with dudes who are nicknamed after cities. Unless it's Spokane.

Sounds to me like this season instead of going for two, some of the Longhorns maybe be going for two-to-10.

John Kelso's column appears on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Contact him at 445-3606 or jkelso@statesman.com.

g$$
08-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Jones suspended indefinitely
By Suzanne Halliburton | Friday, August 3, 2007, 03:48 PM

Texas coach Mack Brown has suspended freshman defensive tackle Andre Jones, following Jones’ arrest Friday morning for aggravated robbery.

Brown, in a statement, said:

“We are disappointed to hear about the recent allegations against Dre Jones. They are very serious charges. We will cooperate with authorities through the legal process and support Dre any way we can. We’ve talked with Dre and his family and have decided to suspend him indefinitely. He will not be involved in any team functions at this time, pending the completion of the legal process.”

Including Jones, four Longhorns have been arrested this summer. Brown suspended Robert Joseph, who has been arrested twice, and Joseph announced he was transferring.

Linebacker Sergio Kindle and defensive end Henry Melton, who each were arrested for driving while intoxicated, are still on the team. Brown has not announced what disciplinary action he will take with the two.

He said Friday:

“I am extremely disappointed that four of our student-athletes have had issues with the law this summer. That is not reflective of the high standard of class, character and integrity we have established at Texas for many years. It’s a shame that these recent events have generated a great deal of negative attention, because I do think that overall, this is as good of a group of kids that I’ve ever coached. I think that will show over time.”

JHS_c/o_06'
08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
was the first guy a reporter or a wanna be comedian?

good that mack got rid of the guy though.

Cameron Crazy
08-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Feel sorry for mack, his team is crumbling so much!

rockdale80
08-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Now G$$ can stop with the ignorant posts. :clap: :clap:

Cameron Crazy
08-05-2007, 03:20 PM
True dat...

JasperDog94
08-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
COMMENTARY: JOHN KELSO

Looks like it's time for the Horns to suit up – in prison khakis
Click-2-Listen
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, August 05, 2007

They say you can't tell the players without a scorecard. With the Texas football team, rewrite that to say you can't tell the players without a rap sheet.

It's looking like who will be starting this year in the Texas lineup will depend on who's been in a lineup at the Austin Police Department.

Even for a season-ticket holder like me, it's hard to keep up with 'em all.

Let's see: Andre Jones, who was suspended from the team Friday, is the 6-foot-5, 295-pound freshman defensive tackle and Parade All-American who is charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon, a first-degree felony, in connection with an armed robbery in a Southeast Austin apartment. Henry Melton is the sophomore defensive end who was charged in June with driving while intoxicated on Sixth Street. Sergio Kindle is the sophomore linebacker who was charged a week ago Saturday with DWI on South First Street.

And that's just some of 'em. Eight current or former Texas football players have been arrested since the Horns won the national championship against the University of Southern California in the 2006 Rose Bowl. I can't keep 'em all straight. Which is the problem Mack Brown is facing. He can't keep 'em all straight, either.

The Horns don't need a defensive coordinator. They need a defense attorney.

The key to Texas football success this year? It's how many players can run well in orange jumpsuits and ankle bracelets. Make that burnt orange jumpsuits.

What's the matter with these UT knuckleheads anyway? Are they trying to out-Miami Miami? Don't they realize they've been given the chance to go to college? They take this golden educational egg, and they fumble it on the 1-yard line.

This team has had so many arrests, I'm starting to think that instead of playing "The Eyes of Texas," the Longhorn band should break out with Sam Cooke's "Chain Gang," as in "that's the sound of the men working on the chain ga-a-ang."

Man, it's going to be hard to figure out the point spread on the Longhorns from week to week. It'll depend on who's out on bail. Instead of the coaches, I hear this year, the team probation officers will lead the Longhorns out onto the field.

And how about those new striped uniforms for home games?

Still, the Longhorns remain a team of honor. As in, "Yes, your honor" and "No, your honor."

I mean, this has gotten so bad that the refs might not use a real coin during the coin toss for fear that one of the UT players will steal it.

The one that really gets me is Jones. Court affidavits say that a witness said that during the apartment robbery Jones acted like he had a gun in his waistband.

They also say Jones and former Longhorn freshman Robert Joseph, aka N.O., as in New Orleans, stole cash, cell phones, a laptop and video game systems.

Tip to incoming freshman football players: Don't hang out with dudes who are nicknamed after cities. Unless it's Spokane.

Sounds to me like this season instead of going for two, some of the Longhorns maybe be going for two-to-10.

John Kelso's column appears on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Contact him at 445-3606 or jkelso@statesman.com. This is a pathetic excuse for a column. It's one thing to say that there is a problem (which there is), but it's another thing to take constant shots at a team that he "supposedly" supports.:rolleyes:

JR2004
08-05-2007, 04:50 PM
In other news, a man obsessed with the head football coach at The University of Texas is sent to a mental institution...More on this breaking story at 11.

rockdale80
08-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
In other news, a man obsessed with the head football coach at The University of Texas is sent to a mental institution...More on this breaking story at 11.

G$$ is just concerned about UT and their athletic program. The ags are perfect and completely flawless, and he just wants the horns to be as flawless as the ags. He really cares, and it hurts him and brings loads of sorrow to his heart to see the horns going thru this. I just want the horns to know they arent alone, because G$$ will always be there in their corner showing support for them and wishing them the best.

Fal44
08-05-2007, 05:08 PM
good for mack at least hes making a stand.. I mean its crazy how much trouble the horns have been getting in. It's like if they are the miami canes...

LH Panther Mom
08-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
was the first guy a reporter or a wanna be comedian?
It was typical "Kelso" style. I guess you have to read him regularly to learn to appreciate him. Sometimes he's a bit abrupt, sometimes he has me rolling. He doesn't always write about Austin stuff - had a couple of Harry Potter things last month. Here's his column about Michael Vick. (Lots of times when I finish reading him, my first thought is "OUCH".)

Vick deserves a poodle in his shorts
Friday, July 27, 2007

If you're a betting man, you're probably wondering what the over/under is on Michael Vick, the star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons.

I'd say his NFL career will be over in under a year.

See, the feds are charging Vick with holding pit bull dog fights on his property in rural Virginia. Remember the good old days when football bad boys got busted for simple stuff like bouncing topless dancers on their laps? Well, those halcyon Norman Rockwell days are gone. The charges on Vick say dogs who were too scared to fight were tortured, shot, drowned, hanged or electrocuted.

So much for Vick getting a gig endorsing Purina Dog Chow.

I can think of a few things Vick could do other than torturing dogs that would make himself and the NFL look worse. But I won't mention them here because I don't want to ruin your breakfast.

Meanwhile, the NFL has ordered Vick to stay away from the Falcons' training camp. Who could blame them? It's hard to work out when PETA is pelting your helmet with eggs.

Every time one of these dog-fighting stories pops up, people blame the pit bulls. I lived next to a pit bull for about 10 years, and she was a sweet old thing. See, the trouble with pit bulls isn't the pit bulls. It's the entourage they attract. Pit bulls are goober magnets. As trailer homes are to tornadoes, so are pit bulls to rednecks. Bring home a couple of pit bulls, and soon someone will be cooking a whole hog in your front yard. And the banjo music will commence.

To stop the dog fighting, maybe the NFL should establish a weight ceiling on dog ownership that tops out at, say, Pomeranian.

Early in the investigation, Vick claimed innocence by saying he didn't know what was going on on his property. That's a little tough to swallow, isn't it? The grounds have dog pens all over the place, and the buildings on the property are painted black.

He didn't notice the black paint? Did he think there was a teen goth convention going on back there?

You know, I've never really figured out why anybody would want to go to a dog fight. OK, so I do sort of understand the appeal. It's a macho thing taken part in by guys who are living their lives vicariously through critters who get to spend the day scratching themselves in public and eating off the floor.

So they're jealous.

But the fact that dog fights exist proves people will bet on just about anything.

Which makes you wonder: What was the first bet ever made? I can think of several possibilities:

•How long do you suppose she's going to put up with his garbage?

•Do you think he's really going to eat that oyster?

•Is you is, or is you ain't, my baby?

•Do you think he can really get that sofa through the front door of that cave?

•Do you think that thing is really going to roll?

•I'll take the woolly mammoth and the points.

•If we throw it in the water, do you think it'll sink?

But I doubt if the first bet ever was placed on a dog fight. Although I'll betcha Michael Vick is going to do some time.

jkelso@statesman.com; 445-3606

Link (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/07/27/0727kelso.html)

Gobbla2001
08-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Book 'Em Horns

TMer25
08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
He has also taken action for the DWI's that occured.

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive end Henry Melton and linebacker Sergio Kindle will miss the first three games of the 2007 season after being charged in separate DWI cases over the summer.

Kindle and Melton will miss games against Arkansas State, TCU and Central Florida as punishment for being arrested over the summer. The announcement came from coach Mack Brown as the Longhorns reported to training camp Sunday.

The players will also be held out of the first couple of days of practice when they will visit with a woman whose child was crippled by a drunk driver, Brown said. He did not identify the woman. The players also must perform some form of community service on behalf of the team before they will be allowed to play.

"I think we've got to send a message, and kids have to learn," Brown said. "It is a good opportunity for our football team to step up and talk about how serious we feel about drinking and driving."

Kindle, a sophomore, was expected to compete for significant playing time this season after playing in 11 games in 2006. Melton, a former short-yardage running back, moved to defensive end full time in the spring.

"This punishes the team. They are both good players," Brown said.

Several Longhorns have faced criminal charges in recent months.

A third player, freshman linebacker Dre Jones, was suspended indefinitely last week after being charged with aggravated robbery. Former safety Robert Joseph was also charged, but he had already left the team after being arrested in a separate incident over the summer.

Brown doesn't think the arrests have ruined his reputation for running a clean program.

"I need to step up and take responsibility for anything negative and to be a strong leader," Brown said.

Senior defensive lineman Frank Okam said other players can learn from the suspensions.

"Here you have a standard you have to uphold and be accountable for," Okam said.

Old Tiger
08-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by TMer25

The players will also be held out of the first couple of days of practice when they will visit with a woman whose child was crippled by a drunk driver, Brown said. He did not identify the woman. The players also must perform some form of community service on behalf of the team before they will be allowed to play.

That is where they will learn their most valuable lesson.

Phil C
08-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
good for mack at least hes making a stand.. I mean its crazy how much trouble the horns have been getting in. It's like if they are the miami canes...

The kids need to realize that they are at a great school and a chance to play with great players and coaches and be a strong national team. Some of them have an opportunity to be rich by being in the NFL. If worse comes to worse they have a chance to get a paid for college education and have doors opened for them. Most of us didn't have the opportunity today that they had and in fact few do today. And it isn't just at UT they have that opportunity but other great universities as well.

g$$
08-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
G$$ is just concerned about UT and their athletic program. The ags are perfect and completely flawless, and he just wants the horns to be as flawless as the ags. He really cares, and it hurts him and brings loads of sorrow to his heart to see the horns going thru this. I just want the horns to know they arent alone, because G$$ will always be there in their corner showing support for them and wishing them the best.

Don't put words in my mouth youngster, ok? I am not obsessed with anything Texas or any other school. I have my priorities in order - do you? I do enjoy sports & always have. I believe you can win & win big by doing things the right way. Maybe you should re-read Phil C.'s post from last week. He said it well as an embarrassed Texas fan. Since you are nothing but a t-shirt fan anyway, I take what you say with a grain of salt. Any self-respecting Longhorn puts class & integrity higher than you obviously do because they value their university's image.

I repeatedly said A&M has had problems. A&M also kicked off 9 guys Fran's 1st calendar year too. Maybe you should take up reading before popping off.

I applaud Mack's moves in trying to restore order. As for Kelso's column, that is his style.

As for JR2004: insecure much?

Learn from "your" head coach:
Brown doesn't think the arrests have ruined his reputation for running a clean program.

"I need to step up and take responsibility for anything negative and to be a strong leader," Brown said.

Senior defensive lineman Frank Okam said other players can learn from the suspensions.

"Here you have a standard you have to uphold and be accountable for," Okam said.

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Don't put words in my mouth youngster, ok? I am not obsessed with anything Texas or any other school.

You sure have a funny way of showing that you don't.

g$$
08-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You sure have a funny way of showing that you don't.

Funny how it only stings when you are defensive about recent events, huh?

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Funny how it only stings when you are defensive about recent events, huh?

Honestly I could care less about the recent events as long as the team produces wins and a championship this fall. Sure it is negative on the program but Texas is one of the most respected programs in the nation.

g$$
08-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Honestly I could care less about the recent events as long as the team produces wins and a championship this fall.

That atitude right there is deplorable. I guess you are Al Davis' personal advisor too. You obviously do not understand that while it is big business it is also about teaching 18-22 year old kids about responsibility & accountability, getting a degree (40% at Texas right now for football btw), etc.

So are you saying that as a "fan", you are happy as long as winning occurs even if with thugs & problems? Is that your stance? Does class & integrity mean anything to you? How about image nationally? Mack must disagree with you, & good for him.

rockdale80
08-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Don't put words in my mouth youngster, ok? I am not obsessed with anything Texas or any other school. I have my priorities in order - do you? I do enjoy sports & always have. I believe you can win & win big by doing things the right way. Maybe you should re-read Phil C.'s post from last week. He said it well as an embarrassed Texas fan. Since you are nothing but a t-shirt fan anyway, I take what you say with a grain of salt. Any self-respecting Longhorn puts class & integrity higher than you obviously do because they value their university's image.

I repeatedly said A&M has had problems. A&M also kicked off 9 guys Fran's 1st calendar year too. Maybe you should take up reading before popping off.

I applaud Mack's moves in trying to restore order. As for Kelso's column, that is his style.

Personally I dont care how you take my opinion, or what kind of fan you think I am. People like you mean absolutely nothing to me, nor do your opinions. I never said I dont support the Aggies. I do think it is hypocritical that you keep casting stones when the aggies are no angels themselves. I also never said that I didnt think something should be done about these players. That is you putting words in my mouth. Again hypocritical of you. Also, how can you sit there on your high horse make things personal, and then say that you never make it personal. Again hypocrisy at its best. I think you are classless and based on your posts, I would say that there are plenty of aggies that are embarrased you ever attended school there....that is if any of them even noticed a peon like you.

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Personally I dont care how you take my opinion, or what kind of fan you think I am. People like you mean absolutely nothing to me, nor do your opinions. I never said I dont support the Aggies. I do think it is hypocritical that you keep casting stones when the aggies are no angels themselves. I also never said that I didnt think something should be done about these players. That is you putting words in my mouth. Again hypocritical of you. Also, how can you sit there on your high horse make things personal, and then say that you never make it personal. Again hypocrisy at its best. I think you are classless and based on your posts, I would say that there are plenty of aggies that are embarrased you ever attended school there....that is if any of them even noticed a peon like you.

Peon? You bet ol' classy one. I expect nothing less from you.

You have no clue as to anything you just spewed or about me, & frankly not worth the time addressing it. Maybe you are "embattled" too! Take care.

Txbroadcaster
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by g$$

What is a T-Shirt Fan?

Old Tiger
08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
What is a T-Shirt Fan? Basically anyone who doesn't go to that school but supports them.

g$$
08-06-2007, 12:56 PM
What is a T-Shirt Fan?

To me, a fan who jumps on the wagon & buys the gear & has never graced a classroom at that school a day in his/her life. But they think they have in their mind from watching it all on tv! Basically a wanna be to me.

You can be a fan & not a graduate, don't get me wrong. It is the ones described above that bother me by taking it to extremes.

(financial issue limitations, kids go there, etc. are not who I am talking about, it's the wanna be never was types who get under my skin)

Txbroadcaster
08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
To me, a fan who jumps on the wagon & buys the gear & has never graced a classroom at that school a day in his/her life. But they think they have in their mind from watching it all on tv! Basically a wanna be to me.

You can be a fan & not a graduate, don't get me wrong. It is the ones described above that bother me by taking it to extremes.

ok cause here is my story

I became a UT fan when they played Alabama in the Cotton Bowl in 81 7 years old and my dad had always been a UT fan, but that day I became 100% a Horns fan

Been one since then, I could have went to UT my first run thru college, but played baseball at a small college

My second time thru college I went to A&M-Commerce because the R-TV program was small and inclusive. Dont regret that decision one day

I get tired of the you dont go your not a real fan BS...Because I have supported, lived with the great points, and died with the low ones for alot longer than a 4 year student have

going to the school has NO relation to how big a fan you are of a school...I know just as many "bandwagon" fans who went to a school but only supported the team when they won

g$$
08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
ok cause here is my story

I became a UT fan when they played Alabama in the Cotton Bowl in 81 7 years old and my dad had always been a UT fan, but that day I became 100% a Horns fan

Been one since then, I could have went to UT my first run thru college, but played baseball at a small college

My second time thru college I went to A&M-Commerce because the R-TV program was small and inclusive. Dont regret that decision one day

I get tired of the you dont go your not a real fan BS...Because I have supported, lived with the great points, and died with the low ones for alot longer than a 4 year student have

going to the school has NO relation to how big a fan you are of a school...I know just as many "bandwagon" fans who went to a school but only supported the team when they won

Long-time devoted fan does not = bandwagon t-shirt fan.

I hope you see my point. I would just call you a fan of that school's program.

Emerson1
08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I guess anyone under the age of 18 shouldn't bother supporting any college football team by his definition.

g$$
08-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I guess anyone under the age of 18 shouldn't bother supporting any college football team by his definition.

try reading what I said again...

DDBooger
08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I guess anyone under the age of 18 shouldn't bother supporting any college football team by his definition. sorry emerson! :dispntd:

JR2004
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Another nonsense-filled thread! Mack's stalker is batting a 1000 on those!

Butkus
08-06-2007, 01:28 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by g$$
Don't put words in my mouth youngster, ok? I am not obsessed with anything Texas or any other school. I have my priorities in order - do you?

So gss whut age is a youngun. I seem ta notice that ur age doesnt show in ur profile.:thinking:

3afan
08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Basically anyone who doesn't go to that school but supports them.

thats dumb .....................

IMO

JHS_c/o_06'
08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$

(financial issue limitations, kids go there, etc. are not who I am talking about, it's the wanna be never was types who get under my skin)

It's not his fault that its easier to get into A&M than it is Texas. Hell.....i got into A&M.....and you know what i did with the letter.......i literally used it as toilet paper.

Phil C
08-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
It's not his fault that its easier to get into A&M than it is Texas. Hell.....i got into A&M.....and you know what i did with the letter.......i literally used it as toilet paper.

:eek: