PDA

View Full Version : Biggio still playing: Good or Bad?

Gobbla2001
08-04-2007, 10:20 AM
no polls, just opinions...

been listening to 610 AM out of H-Town lately and have heard some interesting opinions on it...

Some people say he shouldn't be playing right now, that we should have Burke on second every game getting better/he should be getting at-bats every game etc... of course that would mean Biggio wouldn't be out there...

MY deal is Biggio still isn't a bad ball player... he's been slumpin' this year and probably is a good year to retire, but the man was still a slightly above average 2nd baseman last year and his bat has still been good the past few years, it's not like they'd give up on the man even if he wasn't retiring (with his numbers and say he was younger)...

They also say he got his 3k hits, bench him, let the younger guy get in there...

I say you owe Biggio what he wants, he hasn't much games left to play (seeing as he doesn't play all games out on the road anyway)... the dude has meant more to this organization, fans and city than any other athlete to ever come through, he has helped keep the fans in the seats along with Bags, they meant so much as the backbone to this organization for so many years...

Some say the Astros know BGO will be the only reason fans are gunna come to the home games so they're gunna keep him in just because they'll make more money... that maybe they're not worried about the future of this team... I think that's bogus... I'm pretty sure the Astros organiztion is more into the "long-term" profit than a "short-term" one... for a long-term you'd think they'd have to bench Biggio and get the young guys out there, thatta way you're working on your future...

This isn't about making the money, this is about the player that means the most to Astros fans... it's about paying your respects to one of the hardest working athletes in all of sports... let him do whatever he wants...

You're not going anywhere this year, and wouldn't be even if you had someone else at second base... might as well let Biggio get his kicks...

But a quick solution to the problem: Put Biggio in center field (because we all know Lane doesn't need to be starting with the 'Stros) and then put Burke or whoever at 2nd base...
hopefully Loretta will be there next year...

zebrablue2
08-04-2007, 11:08 AM
bgo is hitting .247 on the year, not hurting the team at all. if he was at .200 or under, different story. I say let him play when and where he wants, he has earned it. heard him say he would like to catch a little at the end of the season, the spot where this whole great career began. I would tell him heck yea, go for it.

Gobbla2001
08-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
bgo is hitting .247 on the year, not hurting the team at all. if he was at .200 or under, different story.

that's the deal, he's doing just as good as everyone most others on this team are doing... let him do it...

Maroon87
08-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I like the way they're using him now. It let's him do a "farewell tour" while also letting the organization find out if Burke is the 2B of the future.

Bull Butter
08-04-2007, 12:57 PM
What in the world has Chris Burke done to prove he belongs in the lineup?

Is it the .233 average?

The 4 HR?

Fal44
08-04-2007, 05:13 PM
The stros, should let Biggio finish out the year any way he wants. He has been loyal to them over the years and his been a fan favorite for all of his career. Its not like he is killing the team, the pitching is the real promblem. I would be so mad at the astros if they would bench him for the rest of the season.

sahen
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
the astros should let biggio finish his career out, it isnt like we are in a playoff race so it doesnt matter if it costs us a few games....

also, in my opinion the astros are slowly giving up on burke....they traded to get a 3rd baseman for the future and loretta is flat out outplaying burke...i would not be surprised at all next year if burke is a utility player and loretta is the everyday 2nd baseman.....