PDA

View Full Version : 9 year old signs pro contract...ridiculous!

kaorder1999
08-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Manchester United sign nine-year-old YouTube wonder kid

By Simon Rabinovitch

LONDON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - Manchester United have signed a gifted nine-year-old after his grandfather sent the Premier League champions a DVD showcasing the boy's talents which has become a YouTube sensation.

Rhain Davis, who was born in England but has lived in Australia since the age of four, was hailed by the British press on Thursday as the next Wayne Rooney after the United striker.

The boy's dribbling and goalscoring prowess for an Under-10 side in Brisbane, Australia, feature in a four-minute YouTube clip, already viewed more than 800,000 times.

United confirmed the signing but played down the hype around Davis, who has moved back to Cheshire in northern England with his father, near the club's training ground.

"He's a member of our academy and we don't comment on individual members," a United spokesman told Reuters.

He added that the club sign about 40 players of Davis's age every year and, as is standard, will decide annually whether to renew his contract or release him.

What was so unusual in Davis's case was that his skills were brought to the attention of United's youth scouts by the DVD submission, which could inspire other hopefuls, the spokesman said.

"We're bracing ourselves for a whole series of DVDs," he added.

Davis has been thrilled at the chance to rub shoulders with some of his idols.

"The best part has been meeting lots of players like Wayne Rooney," he told British newspapers.

JR2004
08-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I read that yesterday at work. It does seem that it's a somewhat standard practice with those soccer clubs. I think the sensational part of the story is that he was found on YouTube. I wonder how many more kids are going to try to use YouTube now after seeing what it got this kid.

Still that's a pretty fascinating story even if you aren't a big soccer fan (which Iam not)...

Emerson1
08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
He wasn't really found on youtube, the club had the video first and it made it's way onto youtube after.

sinton66
08-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Soccer is a profession? Holy crap! Next they'll be paying people to swim.

DU_stud04
08-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Soccer is a profession? Holy crap! Next they'll be paying people to swim. :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
08-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Soccer is a profession? Holy crap! Next they'll be paying people to swim. Where do I sign up for Professional Snail Race Watching? Or does anyone have the contact info for the Paint Drying Watchers Association?

Cameron Crazy
08-04-2007, 08:28 AM
wow. make a video, get some dough.

htowntransplant
08-04-2007, 09:31 AM
only 9? He's WAAY too young.

Signed,
Amobi Okoye, danny almonte, and michelle wie

LH Panther Mom
08-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Where do I sign up for Professional Snail Race Watching? Or does anyone have the contact info for the Paint Drying Watchers Association?
Well, we did have video of both imbedded into the home page, but when we had to change to the temporary host, the speed at which the videos moved took up too much bandwidth, so we had to take them off for now. :p

JasperDog94
08-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, we did have video of both imbedded into the home page, but when we had to change to the temporary host, the speed at which the videos moved took up too much bandwidth, so we had to take them off for now. :p Whoa...slow down there mom. You're being waaaaay too technical.:)

Gobbla2001
08-04-2007, 11:30 AM
what's more ridiculous are rock paper scissor competitions on ESPN2...

that's just sad

Emerson1
08-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Soccer is more exciting then baseball

Gobbla2001
08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I actually like soccer...

what I don't like is when a player gets brushed in the leg by an opposing player's jersey and falls to the ground as if he were hit in the leg with a hammer... that makes me want to turn the channel

Emerson1
08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
So you can't watch the NBA either?

Gobbla2001
08-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
So you can't watch the NBA either?

the NBA isn't as bad... Ginobili flops, this guy flops, that guy flops, but they really are fouled and just want the refs to see it...

in soccer they may be trying to draw a card, but that's just a little too much, they act like they're in serious pain...

Gobbla2001
08-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I've seen two matches in the last month where a player has gone to the ground with what looked like a very serious injury (from his expressions and the way they held their leg)... both were carried off of the field on stretchers (still looked like they were in pain) and when they got to the sideline some bible-bangin' preacher musta laid hands on 'em because they were just a walkin' like nothing was wrong... not favoring a leg, nothing...

Fal44
08-05-2007, 04:25 AM
I actually like soccer, just don't watch it. Only the world cup, and the nine year getting signed is like a farm system I bet. they probably set up leagues for the best 9 year olds and have a mini league :D

Phil C
08-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Does this mean he is not eligible for high school athletics? :)

zebrablue2
08-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Does this mean he is not eligible for high school athletics? :)

good question.