PDA

View Full Version : Pistons' Saunders narrowly avoids bridge collapse

Maroon87
08-02-2007, 05:33 PM
DETROIT (AP) -- Road construction put Detroit Pistons coach Flip Saunders on the 10th Avenue bridge Wednesday in Minneapolis.

The detour perhaps saved his life.

"I usually take the 35W bridge, but the ramp was closed," Saunders said Thursday from Minneapolis in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "My daughter was driving in a car right behind me when the bridge collapsed -- about 20 yards away from us. It sounded like a bomb when it dropped.

"I got out of my car and the first thing I heard was the kids screaming on the bus. I called 911. I didn't really know what else I could do."

Sanders, a former Minnesota Timberwolves coach, was driving home after speaking at Tubby Smith's basketball camp at the University of Minnesota, where Saunders starred as a player.

"A day later, I'm still in a surreal state of mind," he said. "I can still see what happened. It's kind of like having flashbacks."

Divers checked submerged cars in the Mississippi River on Thursday for victims still trapped beneath the twisted steel and concrete slabs of a collapsed bridge.

The eight-lane Interstate 35W bridge, a major Minneapolis artery, was in the midst of repairs when the bridge buckled during the evening rush hour Wednesday. Dozens of cars plummeted more than 60 feet into the river, some falling on top one of another. A school bus sat on the angled concrete.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Rabbit'93
08-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
DETROIT (AP) -- "I got out of my car and the first thing I heard was the kids screaming on the bus. I called 911. I didn't really know what else I could do." hmmm. let's see...you could've helped.

Cameron Crazy
08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah , helping would have been a start!

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Calling 911 was helping..this was not like simply going to a wrecked car and seeing if people were ok

Rabbit'93
08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I imagine 911 had a busy tone when he called considering there was probably 1,000 other people calling. I'm not even sure why this is news.:confused: