PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young Fights with Teammate

Adidas410s
08-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young learned an important lesson Wednesday in training camp. Never throw a punch again with his right, or throwing, hand.

Luckily for the 2006 Offensive Rookie of the Year and the Titans, the punch thrown at safety Donnie Nickey glanced off his helmet.

"The guys stick up for the quarterback, and he sticks up for his teammates," coach Jeff Fisher said.

Young has never hid his competitive spirit, whether back in college at Texas or since being drafted last year by the Titans.
Nickey, who primarily plays special teams and played at Ohio State, had knocked down receiver Joel Filani earlier when the rookie ran the wrong route, a post when the defense was defending against it.

Trainers helped Filani to the side, then Nickey broke up a pass by taking former Indiana receiver Courtney Roby to the ground on the next play by putting his right arm around Roby's neck in a chokehold move. Young, who had thrown the pass, erupted.

He yelled at Nickey and asked him what he was doing, telling him to quit that stuff. Young ran over as Roby stayed on the ground.
Nickey put his right hand on Young's chest before the quarterback shoved back and took a swing at the safety.

Tight end Bo Scaife came in and helped push Nickey away from the fray, and 13-year veteran center Kevin Mawae got in front of Young, pushing him clear. Young took several minutes to cool off and continued yelling.

Fisher pulled his team together at midfield and reminded them to cool it. After practice ended, Nickey met with Roby and shared a half hug, and Young hugged Nickey. Fisher then made the three stand behind him as he talked with reporters.

"My preference is not to see my quarterback throwing punches with his throwing hand. Secondly, we need to avoid the stuff on the field, and hey, it happens. Everything is OK. Right?" Fisher asked of the trio. They all said yes.

Maroon87
08-02-2007, 12:57 PM
It's good that Vince is sticking up for his receivers, but he needs to let the linemen handle the "heavy lifting."

Emerson1
08-02-2007, 12:59 PM
You make it sound so much worse then it is.

pirate4state
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You make it sound so much worse then it is.

Who is?

Emerson1
08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
The title of the thread.

pirate4state
08-02-2007, 01:12 PM
LOL I don't think so - it is pretty straight forward and he did take a swing at him.

Phil C
08-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Way to go Vince! What a man!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CenTexSports
08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Phil, who is more silly - you or Vince? I believe that he is making a lot of money and to jepordize it by hitting a fellow teammate on the helment with his throwing hand does not seem too bright.

And I know you are a bright individual and you are congradulating your hero for doing such a stupid thing. As much as you praise VY, how can you be for anything that might cost him playing time.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Phil, who is more silly - you or Vince? I believe that he is making a lot of money and to jepordize it by hitting a fellow teammate on the helment with his throwing hand does not seem too bright.

And I know you are a bright individual and you are congradulating your hero for doing such a stupid thing. As much as you praise VY, how can you be for anything that might cost him playing time.

While it was stupid to swing with his throwing hand, the fact he stood up for his WRs will go along way in that lockerroom. Players want a QB they believe is in the fight with them and not a pretty boy, He is showing he will stick up for his guys

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I tell you, all those Texas players are nothing but delinquents looking for a fight and trying to cause trouble.....:mad:

Adidas410s
08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Has anybody even heard of this guy from Ohio St? He's probably just some guy trying to make the team and getting too agressive. In retrospect it will probably cost him a chance on the squad while VY gains that much more respect from his teammates.

Phil C
08-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I tell you, all those Texas players are nothing but delinquents looking for a fight and trying to cause trouble.....:mad:

Big has a point. How unlike those clean type players A&M has such as Kellen Heard.

:)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Big has a point. How unlike those clean type players A&M has such as Kellen Heard.

:)

Hehehe, well deserved Phil, but you know how I feel about that hit. Now, about Kellen Heard being a fine, upstanding young man I'm not going to vouch for, because he's an idiot.

Phil C
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Hehehe, well deserved Phil, but you know how I feel about that hit. Now, about Kellen Heard being a fine, upstanding young man I'm not going to vouch for, because he's an idiot.

Still it's probably not fair to condemn the young man for one slip up! :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Still it's probably not fair to condemn the young man for one slip up! :)

Yeah, but Kellen is probably one of the dumbest people I have ever met, seriously.

Adidas410s
08-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but Kellen is probably one of the dumbest people I have ever met, seriously.

should've met Reggie McNeil ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
should've met Reggie McNeil ;)

Alternately, I could meet you.

IHStangFan
08-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Yeah, but Kellen is probably one of the dumbest people I have ever met, seriously. LOL....brutal honesty, I love it...and it can be some of the funniest stuff as well.

themsu97
08-02-2007, 08:36 PM
no... dumber still is Bud Adams... signing Eric Moulds... depleting his team and buying into the hype that Vince can do it all... not in the NFL... and not without PacMan Jones... he was 3rd on the team in total td's...
Bud Adams is too caught up in trying to make Houston look bad and in the mean time his team will struggle to win 6 games this season...

mistanice
08-02-2007, 09:02 PM

I will make sure to send a copy of this message to Kellen, along with your real name and jersey #. :D

DU_stud04
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While it was stupid to swing with his throwing hand, the fact he stood up for his WRs will go along way in that lockerroom. Players want a QB they believe is in the fight with them and not a pretty boy, He is showing he will stick up for his guys i agree

Blastoderm55
08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Was it a closed-fist punch or an attempted slap-upside-the-helmet?

fireman1
08-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
I will make sure to send a copy of this message to Kellen, along with your real name and jersey #. :D

Im down for sending that information to one of my fellow Tiger teammates

bulldogman06
08-02-2007, 11:50 PM
this is at least a sign that vy is tryin to get guys to buy into everything, and have some passion. his teammates will love him for this. but he shouldnt have used his throwing hand. a left jab would have done, or he could have tripped him.

Emerson1
08-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Was it a closed-fist punch or an attempted slap-upside-the-helmet?
It looked more like just a push to the face. It's not like he pulled back and punched the logo of the helmet.

Cameron Crazy
08-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Vince is just keeping his pimp hand strong! :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
this is at least a sign that vy is tryin to get guys to buy into everything, and have some passion. his teammates will love him for this. but he shouldnt have used his throwing hand. a left jab would have done, or he could have tripped him.

Personally, I would have pulled the toppler on him...Pretend like I'm tying my shoe and have someone come and push him over the top of me. Works everytime.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-03-2007, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by fireman1
Im down for sending that information to one of my fellow Tiger teammates

How about I do it for you when I see him on Sunday?

CenTexSports
08-03-2007, 07:33 AM
What a load of crap. I am OK with leadership and heck go to the offending defensive back and let him know how you feel about his play but to punch at a guy's helment just doesn't cut it.

Can you see Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Dan Marino, John Elway or any other real leader at QB doing this? With VY's money he could have hired someone to beat the guy up after practice.

I am with Fischer on this one, it was a stupid thing to do.

Txbroadcaster
08-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
What a load of crap. I am OK with leadership and heck go to the offending defensive back and let him know how you feel about his play but to punch at a guy's helment just doesn't cut it.

Can you see Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Dan Marino, John Elway or any other real leader at QB doing this? With VY's money he could have hired someone to beat the guy up after practice.

I am with Fischer on this one, it was a stupid thing to do.

Well seeing as Roger Staubach DID get in a fight..WITH ANOTHER QB..after the QB(Clint Longley) said negative things about WR Drew Pearson

crzyjournalist03
08-03-2007, 08:57 AM
My question is what the heck the DB's problem is? I mean, it's not like you're scrimmaging the Colts or Jaguars...it's your own frickin' team and you're body slamming and choke holding????

g$$
08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
VY just being a leader. That is why he is so respected by teammates everywhere he plays. That DB was out of line in the video I saw. Way too aggressive in training camp wearing shoulder pads & shorts.

Adidas410s
08-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
My question is what the heck the DB's problem is? I mean, it's not like you're scrimmaging the Colts or Jaguars...it's your own frickin' team and you're body slamming and choke holding????

He's just trying to make the team. He probably wasn't going to before...he definitely won't now...

crzyjournalist03
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He's just trying to make the team. He probably wasn't going to before...he definitely won't now...

my thoughts exactly...when you're fighting for a roster spot, there are ways to stand out and ways not to...having half of the team getting p***** at you because you're trying to take of their heads to impress the coaches isn't the way to go about it...I figured that out and never played a down of organized football in my life!