PDA

View Full Version : Gateway or Hewlett Packard

mustang04
08-01-2007, 09:33 PM
i'm about to drop roughly $1100 on a computer (just the tower, not monitor cuz i'm gonna get a 32 in. LCD flatscreen TV instead of a monitor) and i'm stuck between 2 computers...the gateway i'm lookin at is supposed to be really good, has dual core processor and supposedly the best graphics card for games....the HP has the new QUAD core processor and a good graphics card just not the BEST.....what should i get????

i have never owned either brand so i dont know much about them

CenTexSports
08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I have had good luck with Gateway.

jason
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
build one, its cheaper...

are you a hardcore gamer? if not, why spend money on a souped up graphics card??

do you really NEED a quad core processor???

a good dual core processor with 2 gb of ram is probably fine for any non-gaming users...

i have a 2.01Ghz Athlon 64 3000+ with 2gb of ram and it has been running GREAT for a little under 2 years...

We're Back
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a HP and love it, my sister has a Gateway and loves it, so I think you couldnt go wrong with either one

DU_stud04
08-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by jason
build one, its cheaper...

are you a hardcore gamer? if not, why spend money on a souped up graphics card??

do you really NEED a quad core processor???

a good dual core processor with 2 gb of ram is probably fine for any non-gaming users...

i have a 2.01Ghz Athlon 64 3000+ with 2gb of ram and it has been running GREAT for a little under 2 years... go quad or go home!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

kaorder1999
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
there is no way in heck i would spend 1100 on a computer....especially just a tower

jason
08-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
there is no way in heck i would spend 1100 on a computer....especially just a tower no way, mine was around $1000 and i have TWO monitors.....

with 'name brand' computers (dell, gateway, etc) you are paying (1) for the label on the front (2) whatever version of microsoft you get and (3) whatever crappy software the manufacturer puts on there, that you have to wipe off as soon as you get it anyways....

Emerson1
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM
And the best graphics card you can get cost more then that computer.

kaorder1999
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Here is an expensive Graphics Card (http://cgi.ebay.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-FX-5500-Graphics-Card_W0QQitemZ230155946492QQihZ013QQcategoryZ40161 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

DU_stud04
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
And the best graphics card you can get cost more then that computer. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814133189

jason scared the crap outta me by including this in a computer i asked him to put together hahahha

Cameron Crazy
08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Way to expensive!!

jason
08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814133189

jason scared the crap outta me by including this in a computer i asked him to put together hahahha

:D :D :D

i built you a good computer, even without the bank-breaking video card....it was overkill though, haha, who NEEDS 4gb of ram lol, i have domain controllers that only have 4gb of ram....

mustang04
08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
well i plan on gaming alot...sooooo what should i do???? i cant stand it when a computer freezes up or anything of that sort...i would rather spend the money and not have to mess with it

DU_stud04
08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
:D :D :D

i built you a good computer, even without the bank-breaking video card....it was overkill though, haha, who NEEDS 4gb of ram lol, i have domain controllers that only have 4gb of ram.... go big or go home :D

DU_stud04
08-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
well i plan on gaming alot...sooooo what should i do???? i cant stand it when a computer freezes up or anything of that sort...i would rather spend the money and not have to mess with it go ahead and embarrass yourself....what games are you playing?

what are you working with right now?

Emerson1
08-01-2007, 10:13 PM
well i plan on gaming alot...sooooo what should i do???? i cant stand it when a computer freezes up or anything of that sort...i would rather spend the money and not have to mess with it
Post links to the computers you are looking at

99IHSMustang
08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
If your into gaming why not go with an Xbox360 or PS3? It would take about 3-4k to get that type of performance out of a PC.

Emerson1
08-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Not really, computers are cheap now

But he is right, just get a 360

99IHSMustang
08-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Not really, computers are cheap now

But he is right, just get a 360

I haven't spec'd out parts in a while so it might more than likely be close to 3k.

Cameron Crazy
08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Kinda off topic, but IH-how did you make your sig?

mustang04
08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
well heres my dilemma...my laptop is crashed pretty much and so i need a new comp anyways, and plus i want to play games, but not enough to get a game system like the PS3 or X360

DU_stud04
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
well heres my dilemma...my laptop is crashed pretty much and so i need a new comp anyways, and plus i want to play games, but not enough to get a game system like the PS3 or X360 candystand taking too long to load up and you're getting lag???? :D

Emerson1
08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
www.good-tutorials.com

DaHop72
08-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
candystand taking too long to load up and you're getting lag???? :D :thinking: :thinking: :devil: :devil:

99IHSMustang
08-01-2007, 10:31 PM

I used PowerPoint 2007 with some of its new utilities and converted it to *.jpg.

jason
08-01-2007, 10:34 PM
you're not going to get a 'gaming' machine from gateway or hp....

Cameron Crazy
08-01-2007, 10:36 PM
you're not going to get a 'gaming' machine from gateway or hp.... Jason. what do you think about the dell XPS. I have one and its a great gaming computer. and my alienware is good too.

jason
08-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Jason. what do you think about the dell XPS. I have one and its a great gaming computer. and my alienware is good too. xps and alienware = overrated and overpriced..

if you cant, or dont know somebody who can, build a computer, than an XPS isn't a terrible way to go...i wouldnt buy an alienware EVER...

still cheaper to design/build it yourself...

i will never buy another computer again, unless its a laptop (macbook pro)...

Cameron Crazy
08-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I have some friends that have macbooks. and they love them.

BILLYFRED0000
08-01-2007, 11:07 PM

The true issue in gaming or any video intensive stuff is your interfaces and thruput. You can have a hot card but a slow bus and low memory and it will not help you. Processor speed is relevant but dual core is plenty. Memory and bus speed will make sure you have a system that does not freeze. Oh and an operating system that does not hog the world. 2000 professional is still the fastest with the least amount of space taken in the operating system. I would not go Vista for sure yet. XP is ok but a memory hog. Also unless you like to tinker do not build your own. Unless you can resolve hardware issues yourself you are better off getting name brand and then getting a good warranty. Go Sony. HP and Gateway have problematic quality control and their service is not all that great either. Dell is not too bad. I have used all of the above and e machines as well and it all comes down to quality in packaging. Each of these companies is out to make a buck and they all cut corners in certain ways. I like Sony best because they cut the least corners IMHO.

jason
08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
The true issue in gaming or any video intensive stuff is your interfaces and thruput. You can have a hot card but a slow bus and low memory and it will not help you. Processor speed is relevant but dual core is plenty. Memory and bus speed will make sure you have a system that does not freeze. Oh and an operating system that does not hog the world. 2000 professional is still the fastest with the least amount of space taken in the operating system. I would not go Vista for sure yet. XP is ok but a memory hog. Also unless you like to tinker do not build your own. Unless you can resolve hardware issues yourself you are better off getting name brand and then getting a good warranty. Go Sony. HP and Gateway have problematic quality control and their service is not all that great either. Dell is not too bad. I have used all of the above and e machines as well and it all comes down to quality in packaging. Each of these companies is out to make a buck and they all cut corners in certain ways. I like Sony best because they cut the least corners IMHO.

well said...we have gold tech support from dell on all of our stuff at work - it's great, i can call the direct number, put in an express service code, and get an american, plain speaking male within a matter of minutes (2-4)....
and if the problem cannot be resolved over the phone, i have a tech from dell at my office door by noon the next day...

Cameron Crazy
08-02-2007, 12:20 AM
well said...we have gold tech support from dell on all of our stuff at work - it's great, i can call the direct number, put in an express service code, and get an american, plain speaking male within a matter of minutes (2-4)....
and if the problem cannot be resolved over the phone, i have a tech from dell at my office door by noon the next day... well that reassuring!

Emerson1
08-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Cameron Crazy has a crush on jason

Cameron Crazy
08-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Emerson1 needs to grow up

BILLYFRED0000
08-02-2007, 01:04 AM
and if the problem cannot be resolved over the phone, i have a tech from dell at my office door by noon the next day...

That is why I like Dell. They have good customer service and their product is above average. Plus you can customize your order for your specific needs. Off the shelf I take Sony but if I really want to be specific Dell makes a good alternative.

jason
08-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
They have good customer service and their product is above average. the customer service is only good if you have at least silver tech support...anything less than that, then you usually have to wait a good while on the phone, only to talk to a non-english speaking foreigner who calls himself 'sean'.......

and, imo, their product isn't above average, they use the same parts as all the other manufacturers.....

SWMustang
08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
If I wasn't so ticked off about having to call tech support it would be funny when a heavily accented fellow tries to pass himself off as "Mark." Where you from ""Mark?" Merkel?

Cameron Crazy
08-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
If I wasn't so ticked off about having to call tech support it would be funny when a heavily accented fellow tries to pass himself off as "Mark." Where you from ""Mark?" Merkel? I love the quotations when you use that name. just makes me crack up lol.:D