PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark on Rangers' new players

crzyjournalist03
08-01-2007, 09:29 AM
There was a time not so long ago when we wondered -- heck, when even the teams dealing with the Rangers wondered -- if Texas GM Jon Daniels was going to be able to get either Teixeira or Gagne traded, let alone both of them.
But give him credit. Daniels did indeed deal them both -- plus Kenny Lofton -- and came away with nine prospects, just about all of whom project to play in the big leagues. Here are some reviews of the most notable prospects he obtained on Deadline Day:

Jarrod Saltalamacchia: "I don't know about the defense, but he's a man-child with that bat," said a scout who has watched him since high school. "He's going to put up big, big numbers. I'm not sure how good he's ever going to be behind the plate. But I think his bat is so good, they won't mind suffering with his defense."

Elvis Andrus: "He's a damn good player," said one AL executive. "For me, he's like an Orlando Cabrera. He won't be a superstar, but he'll be a real good, competitive, every-day player in the big leagues."

Neftali Feliz: "I think this guy is a potential closer," said one scout. "We're talking big-time power stuff, mid-to-upper 90s."

Matt Harrison: "Probably a No. 4 starter type, but with more upside," said a scout who has raved about Harrison for a couple of years. "He's 21 years old with a good feel for pitching and an out pitch. I'll take that every time."

David Murphy: "I know not everybody loves him, but I'm a David Murphy fan," said one NL executive. "At worst, he'll be a hell of a fourth outfielder. But I love the way he plays. I bet, if they put him out there every day, they might really like the results."

Kason Gabbard: Mixed reviews on him. One AL general manager said, "I think they might have sold that stock high. He came up, pitched well and they moved him. And it enabled them to keep a bunch of arms who are going to be even better than Kason Gabbard." But a scout we surveyed had a different view, saying: "He's just a No. 5 starter. But he turns the ball over and sinks it. He's the kind of guy you've got to have pitching in that ballpark."

Not all of these guys are going to play in an All-Star Game like Teixeira did. In fact, it's possible only Saltalamacchia -- or none of them -- will. But on balance, given the position he was in, we'd give Daniels a solid "A" on his trade report card.

taken from: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2956465

g$$
08-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I think the Rangers did well. Got some building blocks for the future & probably not too far away.

crzyjournalist03
08-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I think the Rangers did well. Got some building blocks for the future & probably not too far away.

I'm looking forward to watching Saltalamacchia for the first time tonight...sounds like he has the potential to be a big-time bat in the middle of the order.

SWMustang
08-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I think the Rangers did a pretty good job. They restocked the minors with some talent. The Astros on the other hand - I think we're going to suffer for a long time with bad baseball. There's no end in sight without significant payroll adjustments and Drayton isn't going to do it.

crzyjournalist03
08-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think the Rangers did a pretty good job. They restocked the minors with some talent. The Astros on the other hand - I think we're going to suffer for a long time with bad baseball. There's no end in sight without significant payroll adjustments and Drayton isn't going to do it.

sad to see...that's what I told people when Carlos Lee signed...after watching him in Texas for those two months, I realized that he was a real talent, but probably not worth the money when you realize what types of sacrifices would be have to made around the team.

g$$
08-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm looking forward to watching Saltalamacchia for the first time tonight...sounds like he has the potential to be a big-time bat in the middle of the order.

Kid can rake & has a plus arm. Defense is a question, but he can swing it no doubt.

g$$
08-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang

Agreed.

It is also going to take a new GM & a restocked farm system. Need lots of changes in personnel & philosophy. The good thing is Houston is used to winning (6/10 years in playoffs, 1 WS) so it is now expected. That puts Drayton & Timmy under the gun to make changes soon.

crzyjournalist03
08-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Kid can rake & has a plus arm. Defense is a question, but he can swing it no doubt.

I just hope they come up with a better name than "Salty"...sounds too much like a kid to me...