PDA

View Full Version : Hicks: Teixeira rejected $140 million offer

Txbroadcaster
07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
The Rangers wanted to keep Mark Teixeira. How badly? Owner Tom Hicks said the club made a proposal that would have kept Teixeira in Texas for eight more seasons for approximately $140 million. Teixeira wasn't ready to make a long-term commitment and was eventually dealt to Atlanta.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/080107dnsporanglede.ccc962c5.html

charlesrixey
07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, but at the end of the day, it probably is better for the Rangers to spend that money somewhere else

as much as i hate to see Tex go (i remember watching him in the minors)

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 03:15 PM
doh...beat me to the punch by a minute!

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
kind of makes you reconsider all the "Tex was a good guy and it's just too bad we couldn't afford him" talk....

charlesrixey
07-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
kind of makes you reconsider all the "Tex was a good guy and it's just too bad we couldn't afford him" talk....

i didn't realize he wanted to leave so badly

but that just means its better for everyone that he's gone

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 03:20 PM
On his way out of Cleveland, reporters asked him about the extension...his reply:

"I'm not talking about any of that. I'm an Atlanta Brave. That's done. I'm very happy. That's it."

Turns out this guy was a bigger jerk than any of us realized.

charlesrixey
07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
CJ,

did you notice that you and DaHop are neck-and-neck in total posts?

that doesn't happen too often once you get up there in numbers

i just passed slpybearthebullfan, and he was the first one i've passed in a long while

of course, he only posts once every month in the summer, so it isn't surprising

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
hmm...I could pass two or three guys in the next day!

Two years ago, I was actually in the top ten for a while, but then the board took off, and I was out for most of a year and a half, and I got left in the dust!

Txbroadcaster
07-31-2007, 03:35 PM
On his way out of Cleveland, reporters asked him about the extension...his reply:

"I'm not talking about any of that. I'm an Atlanta Brave. That's done. I'm very happy. That's it."

He showed what type of guy he is on an interview with Bob and Dan a couple of years ago

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
He showed what type of guy he is on an interview with Bob and Dan a couple of years ago

I never heard about this...what happened?

Txbroadcaster
07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I never heard about this...what happened?

Typical BaD radio humor and he got offended and became pissy

Cameron Crazy
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
The Rangers would have been stupid to spend that much money on one person. Heck. The next thing you know the BallPark In Arlington is going to be a soccer stadium.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
The Rangers would have been stupid to spend that much money on one person. Heck. The next thing you know the BallPark In Arlington is going to be a soccer stadium.

that's going to be the going market for a young all-star player next year...if you don't want the Rangers to spend that on one player, then don't ever expect them to contend.

Macarthur
07-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Yeah, I'm not sure why this should come as a surprise to anyone. Those that listen to the ticket and read "between the lines" in the Metroplex newspapers have known for some time Tex is sorry. He's a jerk and was all about himself, not the team. Good ridence.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Yeah, I'm not sure why this should come as a surprise to anyone. Those that listen to the ticket and read "between the lines" in the Metroplex newspapers have known for some time Tex is sorry. He's a jerk and was all about himself, not the team. Good ridence.

from an inside perspective, I know that a lot of the media actually thought he didn't come out as good in the papers as he really was...I personally met and interviewed him once and really liked him...I think we all saw it coming, but more because Hicks wouldn't pony up and Tex didn't expect him too...this new story kind of changes that.

Adidas410s
07-31-2007, 04:10 PM
As long as this money goes to sign another free agent...cough...Torii Hunter...cough...then I'm ok with it...

mwynn05
07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
ive heard he is one of the ncest guys there is

Fal44
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I guess he left the rangers cause he actually wants to be somewhere where they contend. I like the rangers and all, but they always seem to suck.

charlesrixey
07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
I guess he left the rangers cause he actually wants to be somewhere where they contend. I like the rangers and all, but they always seem to suck.

the rangers don't suck

in fact, they do a lot of things better than anyone else:

deal all-star talent pitching

losing streaks of games at inopportune times (early) to keep them out of contention

win the west the least often! (very solid track record)

they do all this and still manage to not really get that much attention paid to them!

i'd say that's impressive! Try having the yankees perform so well and nobody take notice!

we better get involved as fans before.......

they stand pat and don't do anything!

dogdad
07-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Cubs fans have nothing on us Ranger fans

at least for the last 35 years

GreenMonster
07-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Was there not some considerable tension between Tex and Washington early this season?? There are probably a lot of reasons why Tex is no longer a Ranger instead of having him locked into a big money multi-year deal. Fact is, like he said he's a Brave now so it's all just water under the bridge. Time to move forward and wait for the Rangers to break our hearts again next summer.

pooch
07-31-2007, 11:48 PM

if you were up here in Dallas I thought you'd know that...

Emerson1
08-01-2007, 12:24 AM
He works for ESPN, they only care about the yankees and red sox.

3afan
08-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Tex has become all about the $

(not that I blame him)

CelinaCatFan
08-01-2007, 07:41 AM
I agree with using Tex's money to sign another free agent. Besides quality pitching (like we ever get that), I would love to see Torii Hunter roaming the outfield in Arlington.

Hunter lives nearby in Prosper and is a great guy!

crzyjournalist03
08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by pooch
if you were up here in Dallas I thought you'd know that...

I've been here, but I've also followed it much closer than over 99% of people around here...not many people have had the opportunities to actually get to know him and saw how players behind-the-scenes felt about him.

All I can say is that the way he acted on his way out of town was not a way that his teammates or the reporters had seen in his tenure here.

Macarthur
08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Was there not some considerable tension between Tex and Washington early this season?? There are probably a lot of reasons why Tex is no longer a Ranger instead of having him locked into a big money multi-year deal. Fact is, like he said he's a Brave now so it's all just water under the bridge. Time to move forward and wait for the Rangers to break our hearts again next summer.

Yes, GM. Wash spoke with him earlier in the year about a certain situation where he wanted him to take more pitches. Tex took exception and it reportedly was a shouting match. Good riddence.

crzyjournalist03 quote:

All I can say is that the way he acted on his way out of town was not a way that his teammates or the reporters had seen in his tenure here.

Well, I'm not in the media, but this behavior does not surprise me one bit based on what I've heard about Tex.