PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline College Football Stadiums Ranking...Kyle Field #1, DKR #18

g$$
07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6437023?&_1

Kyle Field #1
DKR/Memorial Stadium #18

& the rest...good read

Adidas410s
07-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Wow...that's somewhat surprising. I must say though that the history of A&M fans deserves a 10...the current student body deserves about a 7 or 8...or about a 3 if you ask a former student.

History is a 9 at A&M??? They gave Florida St an 8 and Texas a 7.5. Alabama is also a 9...how can you have A&M on par with Alabama??

Sorry to pick on A&M...it's easiest to pick on #1.

g$$
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Wow...that's somewhat surprising. I must say though that the history of A&M fans deserves a 10...the current student body deserves about a 7 or 8...or about a 3 if you ask a former student.

History is a 9 at A&M??? They gave Florida St an 8 and Texas a 7.5. Alabama is also a 9...how can you have A&M on par with Alabama??

Good points I noticed too - just didn't say it! Kyle Field is a great gameday environment, but the winning % is nowhere near where it was in the '90s. Time to win some big games.

Bull Butter
07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Are you sure this is not from a few years ago?............. Dodd says "the addition of Dennis Franchione" like that's a positive. He also says that the Aggies play in the best conference in college football.
While I'm a Big XII homer, even I recognize that the SEC is currently the top conference:(

g$$
07-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Are you sure this is not from a few years ago?............. Dodd says "the addition of Dennis Franchione" like that's a positive. He also says that the Aggies play in the best conference in college football.
While I'm a Big XII homer, even I recognize that the SEC is currently the top conference:(

I agree with you, but it was listed as current. Saw it on 2 different websites. SEC is the best overall agreed.

BobcatBenny
07-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I would also say Kyle Field was ranked a little high on Architecture too. Give it a 5 at the most. The End Zone is cool, but that structure removed the cool curved end of the stadium if I remember correctly.

I like Kyle field just fine, but it is not the #1 college football stadium.

g$$
07-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I would also say Kyle Field was ranked a little high on Architecture too. Give it a 5 at the most. The End Zone is cool, but that structure removed the cool curved end of the stadium if I remember correctly.

I like Kyle field just fine, but it is not the #1 college football stadium.

That cool curved part you mention was the horseshoe & it was the worst seats in the house (part of original structure). Much better now & closer to field. Rated highly because the 3 decks on both sides creates intimidating & loud crowd right on top of you.

I guess the national people like it just fine! Kirk Herbstreit calls it the best venue he has visited with the 12th Man, etc. New scoreboards, ribbon boards, sound system & lights this year too.

Who would you rank 1st & have you visited lots of stadiums or just tv? Just wondering...whatever the case, Kyle Field is definitely in the top 5 as regarded by national people who travel & see all the stadiums/fans, etc.

Adidas410s
07-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by g$$
That cool curved part you mention was the horseshoe & it was the worst seats in the house (part of original structure). Much better now & closer to field. Rated highly because the 3 decks on both sides creates intimidating & loud crowd right on top of you.

I guess the national people like it just fine! Kirk Herbstreit calls it the best venue he has visited with the 12th Man, etc. New scoreboards, ribbon boards, sound system & lights this year too.

Who would you rank 1st & have you visited lots of stadiums or just tv? Just wondering...whatever the case, Kyle Field is definitely in the top 5 as regarded by national people who travel & see all the stadiums/fans, etc.
Kyle Field as a structure is great now IMO. Too bad that they built the new athletic complex because it hampers them from being able to get rid of the bleachers in the south end zone...which IMO really take away from the rest of the stadium. The best feature at Kyle has to be the ribbon boards though. The new video screen really doesn't do anything for me. I like Texas' screen because it's a widescreen instead of a "box" screen. However the ribbon boards are by far the best feature at Kyle...especially if you want a lot of info at once. You can see the stats for both teams, scores of other games, even individual player stats...all at one time. That in itself is awesome!!! :thumbsup:

BobcatBenny
07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
I could see it in the top 5.

I just looked at the ranking system and thought Kyle Field is a little high on architecture. I remember standing in the horse shoe and know what you mean by the seats being not very fan friendly.

Functionally I would agree that the End Zone is superior. I just find it less architecturally interesting as say the oval shaped stadiums or the old Kyle Field with the curved end zone.

Plus, I learnt my lesson after standing in the horse shoe once. I am not an Aggie and was smart enough to stand elsewhere after one attempt. :D

TMer25
07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
This list is old. It's from 2003. If you look at Auburn it talks about their season opener with USC. That game was in 2003

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
This list is old. It's from 2003. If you look at Auburn it talks about their season opener with USC. That game was in 2003

Oh well, some things never change. :D

BobcatBenny
07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Oh well, some things never change. :D

Except of course the horseshoe shape to Kyle field. So much for tradition and history! :(

big daddy russ
07-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

It's the history of the stadium, not the team. That's why Notre Dame, Army, and the Rose Bowl got 10's and Kyle got a 9. Kyle's about 20 years older (give or take a few years) than DKR.

And TMer's right. It could've been from '02 or '03. Auburn played USC in the NCAA season opener both years.