PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolves Agree To Trade Garnett To The Boston Celtics

PurplePride2006
07-31-2007, 01:12 AM
what are everyone's thoughts on this trade???

buff4ever
07-31-2007, 08:15 AM
celtics are back!!

g$$
07-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Celtics will be tough in the Least Conference if deal goes through. West is much deeper.

Adidas410s
07-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Bill Simmons might be checking into rehab if he leaves the bar to stop celebrating...

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Bill Simmons might be checking into rehab if he leaves the bar to stop celebrating...

lol...seriously...that guy is a nut!!!

big daddy russ
07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
You know, at the beginning of the offseason I thought that this was the best move the Celtics could've made, but it will turn out to be a complete disaster unless they win a championship.

Let's look at their depth chart now:

PG: Rajon Rondo (up-and-coming PG... good floor general)
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Paul Pierce
SF: KG
C: Kendrick Perkins

6th MAN: Tony Allen

Guys who will also likely be in the 8-man rotation:
Leon Powe, F
Glen Davis, F/C

Others:
Gabe Pruitt, G
Brian Scalabrine, F
Brandon Wallace, F
Michael Olowokandi, C

Ray Allen's 32 and just had ankle surgery, but he's one of the best jumpshooters in the game. He won't become a non-factor until after the age of 35. Paul Pierce, on the other hand, is a phenomenal shooter who relies more on his athletic ability. He'll also be 30 years old when the season starts, the last year or two of his 'prime' years. We'll give him another two years as an All-Star, another two years beyond that as a 'quality starter' (a la David Robinson circa 2000-2003) and not much past that. KG is also on the back side of his prime (he's 31 right now), but still has another year or two as an elite player and will probably be a 'good' PF until he's at least 34.

And you know what? Boston just gave up two future first round draft picks, one of the best players in this years' draft, and two of the best young players in the game to get these guys.

Don't get me wrong, they have a great shot at a 60-win season and the NBA Finals. But realistically, they have a two-year window to win a championship and absolutely zero to build on after that. Furthermore, I don't believe they've caught up with the Spurs or Mavs with these moves... and not because I believe that these guys' stars have faded, but because I believe that there's nobody beyond these three guys.

Imagine for a second that it's at the end of the third quarter and the starters have played all 36 minutes. They're getting long in the teeth, so they need some rest. Coach Rivers takes out two to begin the half, Allen and Garnett...

PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Tony Allen
SF: Ray Allen
PF: Glen Davis

That team's worse than last year's Celtics, and that team was pathetic. Although I expect Rondo and Allen to make progress this year and for Davis to be a quality reserve (or possible starter on about half the teams in the NBA), that team won't do much. They don't have a single reserve who can light it up and keep them in the game.

One more thing. Let's look four years down the road...

PG: Rajon Rondo (will probably be a 15ppg/8apg guy by this point)
SF: Leon Powe
PF: Glen Davis (if he can improve his rebounding, he can be a double-double guy... I'm seeing something like 15/10 a night)

...and no first-round draft pick even though they absolutely sucked the year before.

Right now, the T-Wolves are hoping for three things:
1. Troy Hudson signs with them, giving them much-needed depth and a true sixth man.
2. KG lasts as long as I think he will and pulls a Kareem on us, playing like an All-Star until he's 36.
3. Glen Davis develops even better than expected, giving them an 18/10 Zach Randolph-without-the-attitude kinda guy.

Unless everything above happens OR they win back-to-back (and not just one single) championships, I'll blame Danny Ainge for being so shortsighted. He gave up a super-athletic 6'8" guard who can run the fastbreak with anyone and would be ready to take over when Pierce retires, a 6'8" SF who is one of the most well-rounded players (and a great playmaker) in this year's draft, and one of the future superstars in the NBA.

Now let's look at Boston's roster in four years if they hadn't made a move...

PG: Rajon Rondo (possible future All-Star... Sam Cassel-type player)
SG: Gerald Green (in an uptempo offense, a future All-Star)
SF: Jeff Green (possible future All-Star, we'll see)
PF: Glen Davis (solid 4)
C: Al Jefferson (future All-Star)

...along with four first-round draft picks and plenty of depth.

I've eaten my words before and may eat them again, but I don't know if Bill Simmons will like it as much as most people. I haven't read any of his stuff lately, but I'd like to know what he says.

Cameron Crazy
07-31-2007, 10:55 PM
The t-wolves are really stupid for trading him. now they will be a no name team.

big daddy russ
07-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
The t-wolves are really stupid for trading him. now they will be a no name team.
You may be surprised in about three or four years how good of a deal Minny got.

I'm not sure how Gerald Green will play in a half-court offense as he's only shown flashes during his time in Boston, but he's dominant when he gets out on the break and he's only what, 21 years old or so? Al Jefferson was the most unheard-of 20/10 guy in the league over the last few months of the season, and Ryan Gomes is a solid NBA forward, the type of guy who would start on most NBA teams for most of the next decade.

Top that off with two (likely) high draft picks, and Minny could be back in the hunt in the West three years down the road.

BILLYFRED0000
08-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You know, at the beginning of the offseason I thought that this was the best move the Celtics could've made, but it will turn out to be a complete disaster unless they win a championship.

Let's look at their depth chart now:

PG: Rajon Rondo (up-and-coming PG... good floor general)
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Paul Pierce
SF: KG

6th MAN: Tony Allen

Guys who will also likely be in the 8-man rotation:
Leon Powe, F
Glen Davis, F/C

Others:
Gabe Pruitt, G
Brian Scalabrine, F
Brandon Wallace, F
Michael Olowokandi, C

Ray Allen's 32 and just had ankle surgery, but he's one of the best jumpshooters in the game. He won't become a non-factor until after the age of 35. Paul Pierce, on the other hand, is a phenomenal shooter who relies more on his athletic ability. He'll also be 30 years old when the season starts, the last year or two of his 'prime' years. We'll give him another two years as an All-Star, another two years beyond that as a 'quality starter' (a la David Robinson circa 2000-2003) and not much past that. KG is also on the back side of his prime (he's 31 right now), but still has another year or two as an elite player and will probably be a 'good' PF until he's at least 34.

And you know what? Boston just gave up two future first round draft picks, one of the best players in this years' draft, and two of the best young players in the game to get these guys.

Don't get me wrong, they have a great shot at a 60-win season and the NBA Finals. But realistically, they have a two-year window to win a championship and absolutely zero to build on after that. Furthermore, I don't believe they've caught up with the Spurs or Mavs with these moves... and not because I believe that these guys' stars have faded, but because I believe that there's nobody beyond these three guys.

Imagine for a second that it's at the end of the third quarter and the starters have played all 36 minutes. They're getting long in the teeth, so they need some rest. Coach Rivers takes out two to begin the half, Allen and Garnett...

PG: Rajon Rondo
SF: Ray Allen
PF: Glen Davis

That team's worse than last year's Celtics, and that team was pathetic. Although I expect Rondo and Allen to make progress this year and for Davis to be a quality reserve (or possible starter on about half the teams in the NBA), that team won't do much. They don't have a single reserve who can light it up and keep them in the game.

One more thing. Let's look four years down the road...

PG: Rajon Rondo (will probably be a 15ppg/8apg guy by this point)
SF: Leon Powe
PF: Glen Davis (if he can improve his rebounding, he can be a double-double guy... I'm seeing something like 15/10 a night)

...and no first-round draft pick even though they absolutely sucked the year before.

Right now, the T-Wolves are hoping for three things:
1. Troy Hudson signs with them, giving them much-needed depth and a true sixth man.
2. KG lasts as long as I think he will and pulls a Kareem on us, playing like an All-Star until he's 36.
3. Glen Davis develops even better than expected, giving them an 18/10 Zach Randolph-without-the-attitude kinda guy.

Unless everything above happens OR they win back-to-back (and not just one single) championships, I'll blame Danny Ainge for being so shortsighted. He gave up a super-athletic 6'8" guard who can run the fastbreak with anyone and would be ready to take over when Pierce retires, a 6'8" SF who is one of the most well-rounded players (and a great playmaker) in this year's draft, and one of the future superstars in the NBA.

Now let's look at Boston's roster in four years if they hadn't made a move...

PG: Rajon Rondo (possible future All-Star... Sam Cassel-type player)
SG: Gerald Green (in an uptempo offense, a future All-Star)
SF: Jeff Green (possible future All-Star, we'll see)
PF: Glen Davis (solid 4)
C: Al Jefferson (future All-Star)

...along with four first-round draft picks and plenty of depth.

I've eaten my words before and may eat them again, but I don't know if Bill Simmons will like it as much as most people. I haven't read any of his stuff lately, but I'd like to know what he says.

I would not be a prophet in the nba and here is why. Boston did sacrifice some first round picks. But I know plenty of first round busts to know that unless you get the top 4 or 5 every year you takes ya chances. To say that Ainge will stay static over the next 4 years or that the free agent market will stay static is also very unlikely and Ainge may be many things but stupid ain't one of them. He has given his guys a chance to be the beast of the east but I agree the suns spurs and mavs are still better.

Emerson1
08-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Does this make up for not getting Tim Duncan?

g$$
08-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Celtics have an NBA record 16 championships, but none since 1986 w/ Larry Bird & company. They should be in the hunt again but the West is way deeper.