PDA

View Full Version : What's your style?

pirate4state
07-30-2007, 02:25 PM
From yahoo.com

What's Your Man's Fighting Style?
Posted by David Zinczenko
on Tue, Jul 24, 2007, 8:47 am PDT

A relationship is like a cable TV package. There's plenty of comedy, plenty of action, and maybe even the occasional bit of dirty programming on demand.

But there are also a lot of dead spots on the dial that you wish you could just skip over. Those dead spots typically come as the relationship equivalent of the WWE channel - highly predictable fights, skirmishes, and verbal sparring you've seen too many times before.

These fleeting spats and lingering problems can wound a relationship. The source of relationship fights certainly varies from couple to couple; in a survey of more than 2,000 men for my book "Men, Love & Sex," 38 percent of men said they fight about money, 24 percent said they fight about sex, 13 percent said they fight about in-laws.

While what you fight about is certainly important, so is how you fight. Fight nicely and you can solve the biggest of problems; fight nasty and the cap on a tube of toothpaste can turn into a federal case. To deal with the actual content of your relationship problems, you can clear one hurdle simply by knowing your partner's fighting style - what he does and why he does it. Do you recognize your man here?

The D.A.
Personality Type: Competitive

About 20 percent of men in this survey admit that they say they fight like lawyers - trying to demolish a woman's arguments with logical, rational reasoning to catch her in a lie or make her confess. This tactic may mean that the guy wins the logical side of the disagreement, but his battering-ram style won't win him any emotional points in the long run.

The Surfer
Personality Type: Lllllaaaaaaaid Back

Goes with the flow, dude. About 15 percent of men responded that the way they fight is by not fighting at all. This kind of guy lets life roll off his back - he understands the woman's point of view, and he tries to make her happy, even at his own expense. Works well in many cases, but not all the time - especially for the woman who subconsciously may want a fight, just to make sure he's as emotionally invested in the relationship as she is.

The Old-School Patriarch
Personality Type: Stuffy

Silent treatment. No words, no confession, no way you're going to trip him up into seeing it your way, because he's not saying a word. The passive-aggressive move - the most frustrating of all fighting tactics - only works to infuriate, which is exactly why he does it. The short-term satisfaction of making her madder usually doesn't pay long-term dividends.

The Salesman
Personality Type: Smooth

About a quarter of men admitted in the survey that they will say "I love you" to get themselves out of arguments. It's a good, charming move -one that can work, and one that he most likely uses when he knows he's wrong. He uses adoration to substitute for confession.

The Poet
Personality Type: Stubborn and Soft

He does something wrong, he knows it, he tries to explain why he did it, she doesn't buy it, he backs off. Now, he reverts to his preferred method of communication: email. The carefully crafted message - complete with confession, explanation, compliments, and a dash of humor - allows him a chance to speak without conflict. It's safe, though a smidge cowardly. But he uses it to control his feelings and the message - and to end the argument as soon as possible.

So you can see that couples have as many ways of arguing as Eskimos have terms for describing snow. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. When two people are close, there's bound to be some friction. Watching anything from the great Tracy-Hepburn movie collection will show you that when sparks fly, heat is produced.

It can either burn down the house, or warm it up. To make sure it's the latter, be sure to use your sparks to clear the tinder of misunderstandings and annoyances, so the relationship is free to grow tall and strong.

A bond that's worth fighting for is most definitely worth fighting over, so long as both partners are willing to listen to their partner, and change their behavior, for the good of the couple.

pirate4state
07-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I wrestled with whether or not to make this a multiple choice poll, and in the end opted for just the ONE choice.

Ranger Mom
07-30-2007, 02:30 PM
So...is this a survey for men only?? I don't' seem to fit into any of those categories.

pirate4state
07-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So...is this a survey for men only?? I don't' seem to fit into any of those categories. Yes, although the title of the article is what is your MAN's fighting style so which one best fits your hubby? :D

Ranger Mom
07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yes, although the title of the article is what is your MAN's fighting style so which one best fits your hubby? :D

It's between the surfer and the poet.

Can't decide if he's more laid back most of the time and just agrees to whatever to avoid an argument at ALL COST!!!!

Or....the poet...although he doesn't use email, I have received a letter/note/card a time or 20 explaining, apologizing, groveling...etc.!!:D :D

I think I will go with the surfer vote though.....that seems more like him than anything!!

DU_stud04
07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
i dont see a southpaw option :(

Rabbit'93
07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
you need to add a category A hole. That's how I argue.

pirate4state
07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
you need to add a category A hole. That's how I argue.

:thinking: :thinking: ummmmmmmmmm :thinking: :thinking:

LOL

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
what if we never have arguments??? I don't know how I argue!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-30-2007, 04:10 PM
What's my style?

"The art of fighting, without fighting"

If anyone can tell me what movie that line came from......free tickets to a Port Isabel Tarpons game!

Ranger Mom
07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
what if we never have arguments??? I don't know how I argue!

Arguing is healthy for a relationship!!

I suggest you go home and start a big one!!

Make sure you check back in and tell us how it went!!:D :D :D

DU_stud04
07-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
What's my style?

"The art of fighting, without fighting"

If anyone can tell me what movie that line came from......free tickets to a Port Isabel Tarpons game! didnt bruce lee say that?

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Arguing is healthy for a relationship!!

I suggest you go home and start a big one!!

Make sure you check back in and tell us how it went!!:D :D :D

Lol...maybe we're both just too passive...we had exactly one major argument since we met, and that was during a break-up...which is also crazy, because we broke up without even getting in an argument that led to it...I guess that would make us both surfers.

CenTexSports
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
I read an article that said that couples that argue stay together an average of 40% longer than couples that do not.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I read an article that said that couples that argue stay together an average of 40% longer than couples that do not.

gulp :eek:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
didnt bruce lee say that?

maybe..... :D

Ranger Mom
07-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

I know our last big "argument" was the night of the Monahans/Midland Christian game.......I "UNinvited" him and went alone!!

So that was close to a year ago!!:p :p

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I know our last big "argument" was the night of the Monahans/Midland Christian game.......I "UNinvited" him and went alone!!

So that was close to a year ago!!:p :p

don't worry RM...I read an article recently that stated that 67% of all statistics that people quote are incorrect!

DU_stud04
07-30-2007, 04:31 PM
maybe..... :D since maybe....the only movie i can remember on top of my head is enter the dragon

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-30-2007, 04:35 PM
since maybe....the only movie i can remember on top of my head is enter the dragon

DING DING DING!!! We've got a winner!!!

Head on down to the Edcouch Elsa @ Port Isabel game, and I'll buy your ticket for ya.

DU_stud04
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
DING DING DING!!! We've got a winner!!!

Head on down to the Edcouch Elsa @ Port Isabel game, and I'll buy your ticket for ya. im a bit far for that, how about you buy yourself a hotdog and we call it even?

ASUFrisbeeStud
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Definetly DA

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
im a bit far for that, how about you buy yourself a hotdog and we call it even?

HEY! If I can take in a Dalhart vs. Perryton game, you could take in a Port Isabel vs. Edcouch Elsa game. Sheesh!

Besides....if you didn't want to go to Port Isabel, why'd you answer the trivia question? :rolleyes:

DU_stud04
07-30-2007, 05:01 PM
HEY! If I can take in a Dalhart vs. Perryton game, you could take in a Port Isabel vs. Edcouch Elsa game. Sheesh!

Besides....if you didn't want to go to Port Isabel, why'd you answer the trivia question? :rolleyes: mooooooooo

pirate4state
07-30-2007, 05:01 PM
mooooooooo

:) :) :) :) :) :)

smustangs
07-30-2007, 05:21 PM
mooooooooo

haha atta boy reuben

Cameron Crazy
07-30-2007, 05:34 PM
surfer style baby!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm a 50-50 mix of the D.A. and the Old School Patriarch

BILLYFRED0000
07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't really fit any of those styles. If I am not hot about an issue
I tend to be soft spoken and logical tending to use my verbal skills to manage an issue. I do not see right and wrong as much as I try to see better or worse. I may not have handled that situation as I should have or she may have made me feel in a particular way by the method she chose to handle it.

Now if it is a hot button issue and I am hot, I usually do not want to discuss it at that time as I do not want to say something I dont
mean and would regret. However when I am hot I lose my verbal acuity and cannot quite always get across that I need space and time to restore my sense of what the issue is.

Blastoderm55
07-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Surfer

Ranger Mom
07-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I don't really fit any of those styles. If I am not hot about an issue
I tend to be soft spoken and logical tending to use my verbal skills to manage an issue. I do not see right and wrong as much as I try to see better or worse. I may not have handled that situation as I should have or she may have made me feel in a particular way by the method she chose to handle it.

Now if it is a hot button issue and I am hot, I usually do not want to discuss it at that time as I do not want to say something I dont
mean and would regret. However when I am hot I lose my verbal acuity and cannot quite always get across that I need space and time to restore my sense of what the issue is.

Just wondering......do you use lots of "stats" in your arguments???:D :p

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
mooooooooo

Wow. You sure showed me, huh? :rolleyes:

DU_stud04
07-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow. You sure showed me, huh? :rolleyes: dont think anything of the mooooooo, it is just that.

mooooo :D

btw, when does Port Isabel vs. Edcouch Elsa play

rockdale80
07-31-2007, 03:44 PM
BBDE's style is older men...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
dont think anything of the mooooooo, it is just that.

mooooo :D

btw, when does Port Isabel vs. Edcouch Elsa play

Week Zero @ Port Isabel