PDA

View Full Version : "Tin Cup" moment at Canadian Open...

Maroon87
07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Williamson dumps caddie, hires man from gallery to finish round-
ESPN.com news services

MARKHAM, Ontario -- Talk about a sweet short-term gig.

Jay Williamson fired his caddie on the 15th hole during the first round of the Canadian Open last Thursday and finished with a man he pulled from the stands.

Williamson, who lost in a playoff at Hartford earlier this summer, apparently got into an argument with caddie Mike Mollet after a wayward shot on the 14th hole, according to a report in the Toronto Star. By the 15th tee, Williamson dumped Mollet from the bag.

Mollet responded, the newspaper reported, by throwing a handful of golf balls into a nearby lake and retreating to the clubhouse.

Left without anyone to carry his bag, Williamson chose 69-year-old Don Alexander, a former Canadian amateur of some repute who actually played in the Canadian Open in 1962. Alexander finished out the round.

Williamson shot 72 with his substitute on the bag. He shot 74 on Friday and missed the cut.

According to Alexander, as reported by the Star: "At the 14th hole, Williamson hit it over the green and he and his caddie started having words. It got hotter and hotter and hotter. I was talking to the caddie's girlfriend and she started giving me the background music and I thought, 'Uh-oh. This isn't good.' "

After Williamson fired Mollet, he turned to the small gallery and looked for a new bag man. "A younger guy named Mike said he'd do it," Alexander said, according to the Star. "I don't know if Williamson didn't want another man named Mike, or what, but he didn't want him. I said, 'I'm your man.' "

Alexander said he told Williamson: " 'You know, you've got talent on your bag. I played in this tournament in 1962. I qualified as an amateur. But I guess that was before you were born.' He said it was. I told him I beat Gary Player that year. Of course, I finished last and Player got disqualified.' "

Alexander said he was paid a dozen golf balls for his four-hole stint.

After the round, Williamson hired the caddie who usually totes the bag for Kris Cox, who had withdrawn with a back injury.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
you'd figure that a guy could afford more than a dozen balls considering what his situation was at the time of hire.