PDA

View Full Version : Crowley pitcher leaves for China........

bulldog65
10-09-2003, 06:44 AM
Headed overseas

Crowley softball pitcher Meagan Denny is headed to China today as a part of the USA softball junior women's team. She is one of three high school players on the 16-player roster.

Denny, a right-handed pitcher who led Crowley to the Class 4A state softball title last season, committed to Texas last month.

After a school-wide pep rally send-off Friday, Denny headed for Chula Vista, Calif., on Saturday for training and exhibition games at the Olympic Training Center.

"This whole town has been awesome -- everyone's been so nice," Denny's mother, Teresa, said. "[Meagan] has called and said the Olympic village is awesome, and she really likes the coaches."

The team is scheduled to play six games Sunday through Oct. 16 in Nanjing, China, at the ISF Junior World Championships, and the playoffs are scheduled for Oct. 18-20.

The USA team's first game is against the Netherlands.

Denny can receive e-mail from the team's Web site, www.usasoftball.com (http://www.usasoftball.com) .

Look for a link on the site that reads "e-mail your favorite player."

-- Mercedes Mayer
todays Fort Worth Star-Telegram

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: bulldog65 ]</small>

Phil C
10-09-2003, 08:26 AM
That is great news Bulldog! Everyone in Texas is proud of her. We are looking forward to her career at UT. YOU GO MEAGAN!!

Phil C
10-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Well I wasn't able to get my email to go to her - probably computer problems but I am sure enough of you will email her to say how proud we are of her and that she is coming to UT.

Phil C
10-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey Bulldog I noticed that of the three high school players two have committed verbally to Texas. Great news! Besides Meagan Desiree Williams of AZ has committed verbally to Texas and she playes pitcher/infield. Great News for Texas! The coaches had them draw and sign names of all the states in the USA to emphasize that they are playing for their country. Maegan drew Wyoming and Desiree drew Kansas. Ironically the one that drew Texas was the third high school student named Jessoca Gilmore (Catcher) of Georga who has verbally committed to Georgia. But two out of three ain't bad! You go Girls! And we look forward to having you in Austin next year along with the Cat who will be back!

Old Cardinal
10-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Phil: This is great info for us folks that follow and support Softball. Please tell us about the HS 3A situation down your way. Is that Taft Coach going to try to get his trade offs working again this year to stack the All-State awards? I hope Sinton is dominate, they have a good chance this year. Phil, I don't know the dates of the next big Fall College Exposure Tournament at Beaumont, but you need to come down and enjoy this fun and relaxing time for the players. It's a no pressure fun type tournament. It does, however, give a little chance for the serious Softball players to sharpen their skills in the off season.

bulldog65
10-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Phil, sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes, we have every reason to be proud of Meagen. I couldn't get the e-mail to go thru either, maybe later they will have it fixed. I know Meagen would love to hear from us Texas folks encouraging her and the team!

Phil C
10-10-2003, 08:37 AM
I agree Bulldog! Hopefully they will get it fixed so we can send them encouragement. I know they are excited to be there. I would like to send one to Desiree too since she has verbally committed to Texas.
Thank you too Old. The third high school player Jessica Gilmore is actually from Florida even though she has committed to Georgia. The situation in 3A in our district is that it should be an interesting race. Taft is dangerous because of their great pitcher. The only way to beat them is to also pitch well against them and try to get one or two runs over to beat them which we did last year. Ingleside will be tough too because they have an outstanding sophomore pitcher. Wharton should be tough too because they have a sophomore pitcher coming back too even though they are not in our district. I think Sinton will do well too because we have a lot of good players back along with some good JVs plus one of our good softball players that ran track last year is planning to play softball. I wish they could go there to that tournament because I think some of them would be worthy of college scholarships (maybe not all Division 1 schools but hey, an education is an education and a sports scholarship can help you get it). Plus it would enable them to see players from other regions that most would not get to see since only one team from each region goes to state. Plus become friends from other players from around the state. There are just too many benefits to be able to mention them all.

Crow22
10-10-2003, 09:33 AM
She beat our girls in the state champioship game last year. She was incredible. We had seen some really good pitching but NOTHING like her. Congrats Megan!

Old Cardinal
10-10-2003, 02:20 PM
To Phil C., I was a little disappointed that Holly Tankersley was not pitching for LA-Lafayette, she had another obligation this weekend. I think that team has done the best job of recruitment, of any program that I know of. They went deep last year! I just heard that BC's Laura Gremillion may come back and play for U. of Texas, after this year with U. of New York. Splendora's Melissa Collins is really going to star for Sam Houston State. I saw a lot of players from 3A this past weekend: It sure makes the big picture come alive when you has seen an array of 3A players. I think Sinton and Ingleside will handle Taft with relative ease.....Phil, I think the days of the Pitchers being the only force in 3A, has come to an end. There are plenty of good deceptive pitchers around. State will be won by the team that can hit extra good pitching the best.

openfacedroastbeefsanwich
10-10-2003, 06:33 PM
can anyone update me on the status of Chinese women's softbal? This actually matters during football season......Come on, this isn't 3A estrogen forum

Old Cardinal
10-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the forum Openfaced: I see you began posting in late September. I think you will find post on CrossCountry, Softball, Bands, Cheerleading etc: We all follow football mostly, but these other post are a part of it. If you see something that does not interest you; just skip it and let others discuss that subject....What is your favorite 3A football team, and how are they doing?

middleagecardinal
10-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Old Cardinal:
....I just heard that BC's Laura Gremillion may come back and play for U. of Texas, after this year with U. of New York.....Old, (Respectfully)I don't think she's got what it takes to play at Texas but I heard that she might go to SFA.

3afan
10-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
<strong>....I just heard that BC's Laura Gremillion may come back and play for U. of Texas, after this year with U. of New York.....</strong>

WHO/WHERE is the U. of New York? (and please dont say 'its in New York!') There is no such school. There is NYU (New York U.) but they do not play softball. Could you mean one of the SUNY schools? (SUNY=State U. of NY ... there's about 20 different SUNY campuses)

<small>[ October 11, 2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-11-2003, 08:54 AM
To 3Afan: Albany, N.Y., its a good Softball school, I've been told.I have heard it called several different things, I did not do any research to find out the exact name. One of the names was U. of N.Y.-Albany, or something like that. It's too far away and I am not a nitpicker on things I know little about----To MACard, That is what I heard from a pretty good source.

<small>[ October 11, 2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-11-2003, 12:46 PM
OK, for the inquiring minds that need to know; The name of the Division I sports college that Laura G. goes to is "University at Albany, State University of New York"...This team had a record 34 wins last year. In the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-Northeast Region, they place as the second team. They lost to Boston University..My personal opinion is that Gremillion being an All-Stater, as a Freshman, in 4A level ball and now playing Division I level college ball; says that the Univ. of Texas will be happy to get her. I think the injuries that hampered her last season are over, and she will represent SE Texas well, wherever she plays.

Old Cardinal
10-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Just rolling this back to the top for 3afan..