PDA

View Full Version : Mark Teixeira

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:20 AM
What do you guys think the Rangers should do with Mark Teixeira? Feel free to elaborate!

Adidas410s
07-30-2007, 09:24 AM
He's a good guy...but his best value to us is to trade him now while we can get good value for him. Moving him next summer will give us nothing...and he's gone after next season anyways.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He's a good guy...but his best value to us is to trade him now while we can get good value for him. Moving him next summer will give us nothing...and he's gone after next season anyways.

My thoughts exactly...he's basically come out and said he wants to play for a team with more tradition when he's a free agent, and at this point, I'd even trade him to the Angels if they offer the type of package I've heard.

The latest deal with LAA would include Kotchman, Joe Saunders, and possibly Reggie Willits or Ervin Santana. I'm a huge Saunders fan, as he's a strong lefty who keeps the ball down, and Kotchman would be a step back offensively, but probably not as far back as people would expect (Rudy Jaramillo always does magic with players).

g$$
07-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Take the Atlanta offer of young catcher/1B Salty & prospects. Best deal for Texas & you will lose Tex anyway. The compensation picks would not equal Salty from Braves plus others in deal. Make that deal now!

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Take the Atlanta offer of young catcher/1B Salty & prospects. Best deal for Texas & you will lose Tex anyway. The compensation picks would not equal Salty from Braves plus others in deal. Make that deal now!

Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about Saltalamacchia as well, but Evan Grant of the DMN raised an excellent point this morning on the Rangers blog...he asks that if Salty is such a great player and the Braves of all teams should know that, why did the team sign 48-year old Julio Franco to play 1B so that Salty could end up back on the bench?

:thinking: It's an interesting point, I think.

g$$
07-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about Saltalamacchia as well, but Evan Grant of the DMN raised an excellent point this morning on the Rangers blog...he asks that if Salty is such a great player and the Braves of all teams should know that, why did the team sign 48-year old Julio Franco to play 1B so that Salty could end up back on the bench?

:thinking: It's an interesting point, I think.

Because Salty is a catcher by trade, only played 1B to get on field with McCann firmly entrenched as C. Plus Bobby Cox loves Franco & his veteran leadership. Salty is a stud young player, I wish Houston had the resources to get him (Lidge was mentioned, but need more).

Adidas410s
07-30-2007, 10:07 AM
In my wildest dreams...we send Tex to the Yankees in exchange for Phillip Hughes and another prospect or two. Work out a deal where George pays most of Giambi's money and the Rangers pick up another "filler" player at the end of his shelf life for $1-3 mil/yr. Then we take our time bringing up Boggs (OF) and Duran (2B) and maybe Mayberry (corner OF...power hitter) over the next year or two. On a pitching side, Luis Mendoza is turning into a quality arm in Frisco and Eric Hurley is continuing to impress in AAA after his call up earlier this season.

After we don't trade Tex to the Yanks...we either take the Atlanta deal or the improving deal with the Angels (adding Saunders and removing Santana the latest rumor). However...wouldn't it be fun to see "Saltalamacchia" on the back of a jersey and listen to Tom Greive get pissed off trying to say it?? :D

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 10:09 AM
However...wouldn't it be fun to see "Saltalamacchia" on the back of a jersey and listen to Tom Greive get pissed off trying to say it?? :D

And he'd do it eventually, but all you'd EVER hear out of Josh Lewin would be "Salty" lol

g$$
07-30-2007, 10:10 AM
In my wildest dreams...we send Tex to the Yankees in exchange for Phillip Hughes and another prospect or two. Work out a deal where George pays most of Giambi's money and the Rangers pick up another "filler" player at the end of his shelf life for $1-3 mil/yr. Then we take our time bringing up Boggs (OF) and Duran (2B) and maybe Mayberry (corner OF...power hitter) over the next year or two. On a pitching side, Luis Mendoza is turning into a quality arm in Frisco and Eric Hurley is continuing to impress in AAA after his call up earlier this season.

After we don't trade Tex to the Yanks...we either take the Atlanta deal or the improving deal with the Angels (adding Saunders and removing Santana the latest rumor). However...wouldn't it be fun to see "Saltalamacchia" on the back of a jersey and listen to Tom Greive get pissed off trying to say it?? :D

Good post, & as you know, Hughes is untouchable. No way. I see Salty playing in Arlington unless the Angels step up big-time. BTW, had fun in Dallas/Ft. Worth so thanks for the help.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
To me, pitching is the entire key to the deal...with the Braves deal, Matt Harrison is supposed to come to Texas...I don't know much about him, but I'd sure as heck take Joe Saunders right now...that guy is a ML ready #3 guy right now, and could easily blossom to a #2 or #1 with another year or two in the bigs.

CenTexSports
07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Tex and M Young for Berkman, Pence, and Scott

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Tex and M Young for Berkman, Pence, and Scott

HECK NO!!!

GreenMonster
07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
To me, pitching is the entire key to the deal...with the Braves deal, Matt Harrison is supposed to come to Texas...I don't know much about him, but I'd sure as heck take Joe Saunders right now...that guy is a ML ready #3 guy right now, and could easily blossom to a #2 or #1 with another year or two in the bigs. Now we're talking! I'm a maybe on this trade. I don't want to see the Rangers trading away what I consider to be a young and still rising star in Texiera for some position players that are supposed to be able to hit it a ton such as what most of the rumors have them getting in return. I want pitching. Good pitching. To unload Texiera today I better be getting at least a AAA pitcher that is on the verge of being ready to make the jump to the bigs and one of the better looking younger pitching prospects in that teams' lower minor league system. The Rangers are very much the Colorado Rockies of the American League in that the ball flies EXTREMELY well in their home park. They can go find mid-level position players and still be able to kill the baseball offensively. The Rangers #1 problem is lack of quality pitching. If they fail to receive solid pitching in return for the very best player they have to trade then we are doomed to repeat another year of being out of the hunt before August even arrives.

CelinaCatFan
07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
At this point, I'd trade him to the Angels for Kotchman, Saunders, and Santana.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
At this point, I'd trade him to the Angels for Kotchman, Saunders, and Santana.

guess it's a moot point now...Tex is a Brave.