PDA

View Full Version : Keep the Culture!

Phil C
07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't condone what the man did but still the statue represents lost culture and history. :(

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/WORLD/meast/04/09/sprj.irq.statue/story.statue.down.jpg

Phil C
07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Did you know in Russia when the Soviet Union was overthrown that statues of Linen were toppled down. It was good about the overthrow but alas! The culture was lost.

Phil C
07-30-2007, 08:31 AM
When I went to college in Kingsville they had a nice walkway with some lovely trees by the campus. Beautiful indeed. And then they did ruined it by putting in a parking lot.

:( :mad:

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I dunno about "keeping culture"...I think that there are some things in human history that do not deserve to be remembered...not that we should ignore that they happened, but slavery of any sort should not be glorified in a statue form as "culture".

smustangs
07-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I dunno about "keeping culture"...I think that there are some things in human history that do not deserve to be remembered...not that we should ignore that they happened, but slavery of any sort should not be glorified in a statue form as "culture".

those who do not remember history are destined to repeat it

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
those who do not remember history are destined to repeat it

like I said, I don't think that we should ignore the fact that it happened, but I don't think it should be glorified by leaving the statue up. Perhaps my use of the word "remember" should have been "memorialized". I agree that people should be aware of history, but you don't have to have a large proud statue standing erected of a man who enslaved his entire country in order to remember the atrocities that he committed.

smustangs
07-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
like I said, I don't think that we should ignore the fact that it happened, but I don't think it should be glorified by leaving the statue up. Perhaps my use of the word "remember" should have been "memorialized". I agree that people should be aware of history, but you don't have to have a large proud statue standing erected of a man who enslaved his entire country in order to remember the atrocities that he committed.

my bad i mis understood what you were saying and i do agree we must remember it but not memoralize and glorify the man for what he did. i think it was a symbol of change for the iraqi ppl when it actually happened more than ne thing