just when he was starting to get his feet under him

setxsports
07-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Link?

pirate4state
07-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Kindle arrested for DWI
By Suzanne Halliburton | Saturday, July 28, 2007, 09:53 PM

http://www.statesman.com/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/kindle_sergio_175.jpg

Updated: Texas sophomore linebacker Sergio Kindle was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated early Saturday. He was released from Travis County Jail Saturday afternoon.

Kindle, the Longhorns top recruit in 2006, is expected to challenge for a starting job at strongside linebacker when preseason camp begins, Aug. 6.

Texas coach Mack Brown was out of town Saturday and notified about Kindle’s arrest. Kindle has not been suspended.

In a statement issued by the sports information department, Brown said: “We’re aware of Sergio’s situation and are disappointed anytime one of our players is accused of wrongdoing. We take a strong stance against drinking and driving and will thoroughly investigate this situation.

“Following the completion of the legal process, we will do what’s best for the university, Sergio and the team. One thing we have really prided ourselves on in our program is our family atmosphere, and this will be handled within our family.”

Kindle played in 11 of 13 games last fall. He missed the opening two games because of a sprained ankle. Counting special teams, Kindle made 21 tackles, including three behind the line of scrimmage.

He’s the second Longhorn in as many months to be charged with a DWI. Defensive end Henry Melton was arrested in Austin in June 1.

LINK (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2007/07/28/kindle_arrested_for_dwi.html)

g$$
07-30-2007, 08:12 AM
That is 2 guys arrested for DWI in 2 months (Kindle, Melton). Couple that with the drug arrests last year (Harris, Brown, Gatewood) plus a few other transgressions by others, & you have a real need for discipline on the 40 Acres. Alcohol, weed, guns, etc. I don't care what happened in court - they were arrested for a reason - so don't go there please. Ramonce Taylor comes to mind too, who was finally suspended & released after many problems.

I am well aware these things happen everywhere, but it is becoming very common at Texas. What do you say Horns - blip on the radar or embarrassing? I say Mack needs to get tougher & make some people pay ASAP. Let's hear your spin control...

LH Panther Mom
07-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Mack Brown gets a lot of criticism (especially on here) for the not so smart actions of some of his players. I may not be so much of a Longhorn fan, but I have heard him speak to a group of high school football players about this very type of thing. Coincidentally, it was the night before Robert Joseph was arrested, then subsequentally "left" the team. (BTW - he was arrested again Saturday night on an unrelated felony aggravated robberty charge.) After listening to him speak about the way these types of situations are handled as far as the team is concerned, I'm certain this situation with Kindle will be handled with Kindle's family, then within the Longhorn family and in a manner that allows due process to take place.

And for any who think he doesn't take this stuff seriously and personally, you really don't know.

Adidas410s
07-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Mack has been consistent in removing players from the program when their actions have warranted it. Getting rid of Ramonce Taylor after he was an integral part of your NC team is proof of that. I think Mack does a fair, consistent job of handling these situations given the circumstances he is under and what freedoms he is given in terms of handling the situation by his superiors.

To me, this situation is very similar to what you see with teams in the NFL. Often times a team sees talent on the field first and while they do some screening of the players to determine their character and off the field personality, talent on the field and the constant pressure to win almost always takes precedence when it comes to drafting a player/offering him a scholarship.

g$$
07-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Mack Brown gets a lot of criticism (especially on here) for the not so smart actions of some of his players. I may not be so much of a Longhorn fan, but I have heard him speak to a group of high school football players about this very type of thing. Coincidentally, it was the night before Robert Joseph was arrested, then subsequentally "left" the team. (BTW - he was arrested again Saturday night on an unrelated felony aggravated robberty charge.) After listening to him speak about the way these types of situations are handled as far as the team is concerned, I'm certain this situation with Kindle will be handled with Kindle's family, then within the Longhorn family and in a manner that allows due process to take place.

And for any who think he doesn't take this stuff seriously and personally, you really don't know.

I respect Mack tremendously & I have heard him speak too (yes I am an Aggie who dislikes Fran btw too). But, it is high time to take control of the situation. There have been NUMEROUS arrests in recent months. I do believe he takes it seriously, but I also think he is reluctant at times to remove guys from the team because he is so loyal to the kids & families involved.

This was not a condemnation of Mack, but rather what happens now...he needs to make a strong statement that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. It has reached that point with numerous arrests of his players recently. They obviously feel bullet-proof or else it would have stopped.

g$$
07-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Mack has been consistent in removing players from the program when their actions have warranted it. Getting rid of Ramonce Taylor after he was an integral part of your NC team is proof of that. I think Mack does a fair, consistent job of handling these situations given the circumstances he is under and what freedoms he is given in terms of handling the situation by his superiors.

To me, this situation is very similar to what you see with teams in the NFL. Often times a team sees talent on the field first and while they do some screening of the players to determine their character and off the field personality, talent on the field and the constant pressure to win almost always takes precedence when it comes to drafting a player/offering him a scholarship.

It took Ramonce flunking out of school before he was finally removed (after the weed & weapons charges). Ramonce was a bad seed in hs who even changed schools b/c of criminal problems (Temple to Belton). BTW, Mack has full authority on making changes. It is his program & Dodds will sign off on whatever he sees fit to do.

g$$
07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
found out via texas.rivals.com

He is charged with DWI, not DUI. There is a difference legally. DWI is worse.

Keith7
07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I think the NCAA should investigate UT's football team.. There have been more people arrested there then the whole Bengals football team combined! :eek:

JR2004
07-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That is 2 guys arrested for DWI in 2 months (Kindle, Melton). Couple that with the drug arrests last year (Harris, Brown, Gatewood) plus a few other transgressions by others, & you have a real need for discipline on the 40 Acres. Alcohol, weed, guns, etc. I don't care what happened in court - they were arrested for a reason - so don't go there please. Ramonce Taylor comes to mind too, who was finally suspended & released after many problems.

I am well aware these things happen everywhere, but it is becoming very common at Texas. What do you say Horns - blip on the radar or embarrassing? I say Mack needs to get tougher & make some people pay ASAP. Let's hear your spin control...

Glass houses and stones.

Cameron Crazy
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Well thats not any good at all.

Fal44
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM
dang, he supposed to be the next great texas linebacker...

g$$
07-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Glass houses and stones.

And the truth. Clean it up Mack.

KTA
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
I think the NCAA should investigate UT's football team.. There have been more people arrested there then the whole Bengals football team combined!

Speaking of, look at the win/loss column. UNT is looking alot like the old Bengals themselves.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Speaking of, look at the win/loss column. UNT is looking alot like the old Bengals themselves.

Watch it buddy...don't involve the Mean Green in this...it's all UT.

KTA
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
blah blah blah, UNT sucks......HOOK'EM

Gobbla2001
07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
He is charged with DWI, not DUI. There is a difference legally. DWI is worse.

I don't really think there's any difference in Texas... I don't think we have a dUi here, I think just DWI... other states have DUIs but don't do anything but slap on the wrist... that's why overall traffic deaths caused by drunk-drivers in the United States is still going up... yet going down in Texas...

my thug-ass got a DWI last year, no bueno...

KTA
07-31-2007, 08:02 PM
u thug!!!

Emerson1
07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by KTA
blah blah blah, UNT sucks......HOOK'EM
This is why I laugh when people say only teenagers are immature.

JR2004
07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And the truth. Clean it up Mack.

LOL...