PDA

View Full Version : the legendary "Chupacabra"

Highschoolfan78
07-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Idk if anyone else has posted this story, but it's been in the recent local news and on a few radio stations. My grandparents have lost a pretty sizable amount of cats out at their land.

Biologists asked to help identify

by J.F. Knebel, Record Outdoor Writer
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:06 AM CDT

A strange hairless, fanged creature with a protruding stomach and hind legs longer than its fore legs was run over and killed on Buenger Road off Hwy 183 five miles from Cuero Saturday, July 14 in front of the ranch of Steve and Phylis Canion.
Hairless animal This hairless canine-looking animal was killed on a county road between Yorktown and Cuero recently creating flurry of questions and speculations here and around the state. (Photo by Phylis Canion)

Mrs. Canion, who discovered and took pictures of the creature, said this was the weirdest and ugliest creature she had ever seen; and she should know, having been to Africa twice on safari. In fact she is so convinced that it has scientific value that she kept half of it in her freezer and is inviting Texas A&M and the Texas Parks & Wildlife to come and take DNA samples to determine its genus.

Though she had caught glimpses of it during the past few months, until now she had never seen it up close. It measures 40 inches in length with an estimated weight of 30 lbs.

What makes the situation even more unusual is that a similar creature was found run over near Five Mile Creek also on that Saturday between 7 and 8 a.m., and another found Tuesday morning near the San Antonio highway bridge over the Guadalupe River.

This makes Canion, who has lost eight kittens and 24 chickens over the past several months, believe all the heavy rain and high water has caused these creatures to move to higher ground.

Local game warden Michael Hoffmann and TP&W biologist Ryan Schoeneberg admit they have seen nothing like the Cuero creature but believe it to be either a mangy disfigured coyote or some form of hybrid dog that could have crossed with a coyote.

They point to the 2004 "Elmendorf Creature" found near San Antonio that turned out to be a coyote with demodectic or sarcoptic mange as well as two others discovered in the same area in 2006 by a local zoologist.

Reggie Lagow, a Coleman, rancher, on Tuesday, September 17, trapped a creature described as a mixture between a hairless dog, rat, and kangaroo; but before John Adolfic of Lost World Museum could make an identification, Texas Parks & Wildlife, who received the creature, threw it out in the Thursday trash.

Phylis Canion is determined not to let that happen to the "Cuero creature". The biology department at Texas A&M wants to obtain tissue samples for DNA testing and KENS 5 TV from San Antonio wants to send a crew down to film the carcass and interview Mrs. Canion when the results become known.

As questions continue to pour in and speculation grows, some are wondering if the three "Cuero creatures" could possibly be the legendary "Chupacabra" living and breeding in DeWitt County. Only time and testing will tell.

Chupacabra

First reported in Puerto Rico in 1990, the legendary Chupacabra (Spanish for goat sucker) is now attributed to killing and mutilating livestock and domestic animals with cases reported in most of South American countries, Mexico, and even the United States and Russia.

All kills have one thing in common. Each had their bodies bled dry through a series of small circular incisions.

While the descriptions vary, the most common one is that of a hairless dog-like creature with a panther-like nose, large fangs, and the ability to hop like a kangaroo.

Most mainstream scientists discount the belief of a unique creature and attribute the killings to wild dogs or mutations of other creatures like coyotes or wolves.

Click here to see a picture of the creature (http://www.cuerorecord.com/articles/2007/07/25/news/news1.img)

LH Panther Mom
07-28-2007, 03:12 PM
44INAROW emailed me the picture a week or so ago. I must say, the picture in the link doesn't protray the disgustingness of this thing. (Yeah, I know it's probably not a word, but it's appropriate. :p )

44INAROW
07-28-2007, 04:47 PM
that is one freaky looking creature....... folklore or not - it's freaky

charlesrixey
07-28-2007, 06:33 PM
very interesting!

keep us posted!

setxsports
07-28-2007, 06:37 PM
From a Hunter in SETX..from my site Bronco 1

I saw one of these a year or so ago.

It is a Coyote with an extreme case of mange. The sickness brought on the deformities and odd physical characteristics. The unnatural movement of hopping is the effect of being diseased and malnurished.

mistanice
07-28-2007, 06:56 PM
out of lufkin, about 3 years ago.

http://www.unknowncountry.com/img/news/102004/critter-1.jpg

catman
07-28-2007, 07:58 PM
That's what it looks like to me---

a hairless coyote

kaorder1999
07-28-2007, 08:39 PM
holy crap!

BuffyMars
07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Poor thing. :(

Enough with the depressing injured and dead animal pics. :bigcry:

It looks just like a plain ole hairless dog to me. It was probably someone's pet at one time. A friend of mine owns a couple of hairless cats....and yeah I am crazy enough to think that even they are cute.

I love all animals! :)

smustangs
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
a coyote w/ severe mange is what it looks like

44INAROW
07-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Chennel 5 Kens TV out of San Antonio is doing a story on it tonight @ 10 (Monday 30th)