PDA

View Full Version : HOUSTON ASTROS and the TRADE DEADLINE....

necks_c/09
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
so who do u guys see houston trading and what do u think our roster will look like next year.....

c- ausmus
1-berkman
2- burke
3- enberg/ lamb
ss- everett
lf- lee
cf-________
rf-pence

1-oswalt
2-backe
3-sampson
4-rodriguez
5-albers

i believe they will trade jennings and scott and in return try and find a bonafide cf b/c purpura says that pence's long term future is prolly in rf......

so that means scott is out and i hear that seattle mariners are really interested in jennings.

also purpura says that houston is definitely not sellers and that they are looking to aquire a cf.....

may trade loretta as well.... i hear that the mets are pretty interested 4 him to play 2nd base as an everyday player for them

carter08
07-28-2007, 11:17 AM
It'll be nice to have Backe back.

Astros need another threat on offensive.

Gobbler Fan
07-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Ausmus and Everett are the 2 I would look to move .

Gobbla2001
07-28-2007, 11:33 AM
I think you keep Ausmus and move up the young catcher from the Hooks who has done well... maybe try to have Ausmus be his mentor a year...

I'd say get rid of everett... maybe qualls or wheeler could be decent bait...

Buccaneer
07-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Aren't Jennings and Loretta free agents at the end of the season?

Astrosdawg07
07-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Aren't Jennings and Loretta free agents at the end of the season?

Yes

JasperDog94
07-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Just think. We could have had an outfield of Lee, Tavares, and Pence.:(

necks_c/09
07-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Just think. We could have had an outfield of Lee, Tavares, and Pence.:( thats what i have been saying....and we lost hirsh and buchholz for a sub par pitcher in the final year of his contract.....stupidest move ever

carter08
07-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
thats what i have been saying....and we lost hirsh and buchholz for a sub par pitcher in the final year of his contract.....stupidest move ever

I think signing Woody Williams may have been stupider

necks_c/09
07-28-2007, 03:57 PM
at least we can agree on sumthin....they were equally stupid

Bulldog_12
07-28-2007, 04:34 PM
My ideal situation, since this management is so bad this is the best I can do with reasonable hopes, is to trade everett and ensberg as a package deal for a solid pitcher. You then take Lamb, put him on third as a starter, re-sign loretta and put him at short, Burke takes second, then everything else remains the same. I think you have a better offense without everett and ensberg and don't lose a ton on defense. You also gain a possible 2 or 3 man for your rotation, then bring Backe back in behind Oswalt and your on your way again.

Bulldog_12
07-28-2007, 04:35 PM
BUT we all know that absolutely nothing is going to happen and we are all gonna be sad on Wednesday.

Bulldog_12
07-28-2007, 05:52 PM
And of course, when I decide to make a bold prediction, Dan Wheeler gets traded to Tampa Bay. Sad my prediction was wrong, glad to see Wheeler gone.

Maroon87
07-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
And of course, when I decide to make a bold prediction, Dan Wheeler gets traded to Tampa Bay. Sad my prediction was wrong, glad to see Wheeler gone.

They traded him for Ty Wiggington...yet ANOTHER 3rd baseman. There's got to be another trade to follow.

Bulldog_12
07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
They traded him for Ty Wiggington...yet ANOTHER 3rd baseman. There's got to be another trade to follow.

Yeah, he plays multiple infield positions so I see Loretta probably going because of what he can bring in. Either that or Ensberg, everett, or Burke is gone. There is definitely more brewing after this trade. Hopefully it pans out. *hoping for a jennings trade*

Buccaneer
07-28-2007, 06:36 PM
The Houston Astros traded right-handed reliever Dan Wheeler to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for third baseman Ty Wigginton, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports.

Wheeler, 30, is 1-4 with a 5.07 ERA in 45 games for the Astros. He took over as the Astros' closer when Brad Lidge struggled earlier in the season. Wiggington was batting .275 with 16 homers and 49 RBIs. Last year, he had a career-high 24 homers and 79 RBIs.

"We're going to need a third baseman moving forward, [Mike] Lamb is a free agent," an Astros official told Olney. "He's a guy who's hit 25 home runs. He's played a lot of positions if you need him to do that."

Buccaneer
07-29-2007, 01:12 PM
My ideal situation, since this management is so bad this is the best I can do with reasonable hopes, is to trade everett and ensberg as a package deal for a solid pitcher. You then take Lamb, put him on third as a starter, re-sign loretta and put him at short, Burke takes second, then everything else remains the same. I think you have a better offense without everett and ensberg and don't lose a ton on defense. You also gain a possible 2 or 3 man for your rotation, then bring Backe back in behind Oswalt and your on your way again.

Why not go ahead and trade both Loretta and Lamb? Both have more value than Everett and Ensberg. You can always sign them as free agents if you want them back!

Bull19
07-29-2007, 01:15 PM
i heard on baseball tonight that the stros' designated morgan ensnberg for reassignment

carter08
07-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Lamb to Philly for Michael Bourne. Resign Lamb in the offseason.

But, now, with Ensberg DFA, looks like Lamb can't be used to bring anyone in unless the Astros feel confident with Ty being the everyday 3rd baseman. I guess they could go with a Loretta/ Wiggington plattoon at 3rd, Lorettaq/ Burke at 2nd, and Berkman playing at 1st every game with Loretta relieving him occasionally. But probably not gonna happen.

Buccaneer
07-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Jennings showcased his trade value in his start today! He pitched 2/3 of an inning giving up 11 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks!

Buccaneer
07-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Padres lead 15-11 in the 8th.

JasperDog94
07-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Wow. Purpura is looking more and more like a genius every day.:rolleyes: :doh: :doh:

AggiesAreWe
07-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Jennings showcased his trade value in his start today! He pitched 2/3 of an inning giving up 11 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks!

If the Astros come back to win this game, would that be considered a quality start?

g$$
07-30-2007, 08:31 AM

Backe is & never will be a MLB #2 starter, plus he is recovering from TJ surgery anyway. Backe is a back of the rotation starter.

Loretta is a solid pro - as a 2b - not an everyday SS at age 35. Limited range & the more he plays there he gets exposed. Same with Lamb at 3B. Complementary pieces at best.

Lamb, Loretta, & Jennings are trade bait. Expect 2 of them to be moved esp. now with Wigginton on board (Wheeler gone).

I hope they will try get younger & add lots more pitching. CF Michael Bourn from Philly has been mentioned & he's a Houston kid. Johnny Ash from AA may factor in too at 2B.

Next year:

C = Ausmus / Towles (maybe Gimenez if recovers from injury)
1B = Berkman (get in shape Lance & get your fire back too)
2B = Burke (for now)
SS = Everett (great defense, ok on better offensive club to hide him)
3B = Wigginton (dead pull hitter at MMP, avg. defense)
LF = Lee (overpaid for him but he has performed well)
CF = maybe Bourn or offseason move...
RF = Pence (fun to watch play)

SP = Oswalt, ?, Wandy, Backe, Albers / Patton (Williams has another guaranteed year at $6 million & hard to trade him...)

RP = Lidge, Qualls, fill in the blanks with moves & minor league promotions

Mgr. = Garner but squarely on hotseat due to Tim Purpura's GM skills. Flawed roster & terrible trades. I cannot stand "timid Tim".

g$$
07-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
If the Astros come back to win this game, would that be considered a quality start?

I think you are joking of course!

quality start = must go at least 6 innings, allow 3 earned runs or less for outing

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:12 AM
wow, has Ensberg regressed so far that the Astros really don't even want him anymore? DFA is basically telling other teams, "Take the guy for free if you want him!"

JasperDog94
07-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
wow, has Ensberg regressed so far that the Astros really don't even want him anymore? DFA is basically telling other teams, "Take the guy for free if you want him!" Yes.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
lol...I was just reading about Ensberg on ESPN.com, and they said that when the Astros removed Ensberg from the roster, they recalled Mark McLemore, a left handed pitcher!!!!

Too bad that McLemore is a retired second baseman who played for the Rangers in the late 90's...thought there could have been another McLemore, but clicked the name on the link, and it's definitely the old guy.

g$$
07-30-2007, 09:27 AM
lol...I was just reading about Ensberg on ESPN.com, and they said that when the Astros removed Ensberg from the roster, they recalled Mark McLemore, a left handed pitcher!!!!

Too bad that McLemore is a retired second baseman who played for the Rangers in the late 90's...thought there could have been another McLemore, but clicked the name on the link, and it's definitely the old guy.

Wrong guy - Mark McLemore is a white LHP who has been up twice this season already. Played college ball at Oregon State.

Mark McLemore the old 2B is retired & black! He played briefly with the Astrsos too.

Try a new site.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Wrong guy - Mark McLemore is a white LHP who has been up twice this season already. Played college ball at Oregon State.

Mark McLemore the old 2B is retired & black! He played briefly with the Astrsos too.

Try a new site.

lol...so there is a McLemore, just the wrong one on the "worldwide leader"

Maroon87
07-30-2007, 09:54 AM
wow, has Ensberg regressed so far that the Astros really don't even want him anymore? DFA is basically telling other teams, "Take the guy for free if you want him!"

Ensberg finished 3rd in the 2005 NL MVP voting...hard to believe he fell so far so fast.:eek:

g$$
07-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Ensberg finished 3rd in the 2005 NL MVP voting...hard to believe he fell so far so fast.:eek:

Just too nice of a guy I think. Never seen so many called 3rd strikes. I call him Mr. Passive.

DFA now, when if Purpura had a clue he could have at least gotten something (prospect, marginal player) in return months ago. Now nothing.

Have I mentioned my extreme dislike for Timid Tim?

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 09:59 AM

My guess is he lands on his feet somewhere like in KC, Washington, or Tampa where they can afford to let him work out his kinks a la Carlos Pena and Dmitri Young this year.

g$$
07-30-2007, 10:04 AM
My guess is he lands on his feet somewhere like in KC, Washington, or Tampa where they can afford to let him work out his kinks a la Carlos Pena and Dmitri Young this year.

Agreed. And they will soon learn of his shortcomings too. He wants to play in California where he's from & lives.

Maroon87
07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Just too nice of a guy I think. Never seen so many called 3rd strikes. I call him Mr. Passive.

Super nice guy...met him a couple years back when he was raking, but we had recently started calling him "Scaredy Cat" because of his wide-eyed look at the plate.

necks_c/09
07-30-2007, 02:15 PM
maybe he will land with the angels as their everyday 3rd basemen...... not the greatest bat but excellent on defense and they do need one... but they also want a big time bat...so prolly not

UPanIN
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Here's who they should keep. Everyone else should be on the block.

Berkman
Lee
Pence

:eek: :hand: :p

Buccaneer
07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Lamb could land in San Diego
Monday, Jul 30, 2007 11:01 am EDT

The San Diego Padres are looking for a third baseman to platoon with rookie Kevin Kouzmanoff.

Mike Lamb of the Houston Astros could be the answer, especially now that the team has traded for Ty Wigginton.

Source: Arizona Republic

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM

The San Diego Padres are looking for a third baseman to platoon with rookie Kevin Kouzmanoff.

Mike Lamb of the Houston Astros could be the answer, especially now that the team has traded for Ty Wigginton.

and why wouldn't they just go and pick up Ensberg if they wanted a 3B?

JasperDog94
07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
and why wouldn't they just go and pick up Ensberg if they wanted a 3B? Uhhhh....because he's terrible this year.

carter08
07-30-2007, 03:52 PM

I'd like this.

Lamb has said he would consider resigning in Houston in the offseason if he was traded to help the team.

I want lamb back next year, but loaning him somewhere for a few months and getting someone who can help next year works fine.

carter08
07-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Uhhhh....because he's terrible this year.

:thumbsup:

JasperDog94
07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by carter08
:thumbsup: Well, you ask a silly question and you deserve a silly answer.;) :p :p

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Uhhhh....because he's terrible this year.

Lidge was terrible for two months, and he seems to be doing fine...Lamb has never been more than a reserve/utility type. Ensberg has shown in the past that he has the ability to be an everyday 3B...

JasperDog94
07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Lidge was terrible for two months, and he seems to be doing fine...Lamb has never been more than a reserve/utility type. Ensberg has shown in the past that he has the ability to be an everyday 3B... Look at his numbers this year and last. He's terrible. Mike Lamb is a much better stick and just a notch behind Ensberg defensively.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Look at his numbers this year and last. He's terrible. Mike Lamb is a much better stick and just a notch behind Ensberg defensively.

BUT, he could be had for free, and if he doesn't work out, he didn't cost you anything...

JasperDog94
07-30-2007, 04:10 PM
BUT, he could be had for free, and if he doesn't work out, he didn't cost you anything... Very true, BUT you may squander the chance at a playoff run THIS year by taking a chance on a guy like Ensberg.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Very true, BUT you may squander the chance at a playoff run THIS year by taking a chance on a guy like Ensberg.

Touche.

Buccaneer
07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
and why wouldn't they just go and pick up Ensberg if they wanted a 3B?

They want a left handed batter!

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
They want a left handed batter!

Maybe Ensberg would be better if he switched :p ;)

JasperDog94
07-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe Ensberg would be better if he switched :p ;) nice:clap:

Buccaneer
07-30-2007, 06:45 PM
The Astros have 10 days to trade or release Ensberg. They are responsible for the rest of his $4.35 million salary. His trade value is so low they will have trouble getting anything for him.

carter08
07-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Trade Ensberg to the Royals for a backup bullpen catcher. Stretch Suba needs his days offs.

Bull19
07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Trade Ensberg to the Royals for a backup bullpen catcher. Stretch Suba needs his days offs.

:rolleyes: lol great joke

Bull19
07-30-2007, 07:10 PM
then we can trade berkman for a field maintenace man too then:rolleyes:

carter08
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Ensberg has been traded to the Padres.

No word yet on who Houston gets in return.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Ensberg has been traded to the Padres.

No word yet on who Houston gets in return.

Seriously???

Well, in that case, I believe JasperDog94 owes me an apology! :p :p :p

JasperDog94
07-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Seriously???

Well, in that case, I believe JasperDog94 owes me an apology! :p :p :p ;) Apology may be forthcoming. I just don't know why they would trade for him now instead of waiting for him to be cut.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 02:48 PM
;) Apology may be forthcoming. I just don't know why they would trade for him now instead of waiting for him to be cut.

prolly because there are plenty of teams out there willing to give up a D-level prospect for him, so Houston was bound to get at least SOMETHING for him.

I've read a lot of sites today that think Garner was the reason for Ensberg's demise and that he never got a "fair chance" to redeem himself when he started slumping...not sure I buy into that, but it's an interesting concept.

carter08
07-31-2007, 02:48 PM
;) Apology may be forthcoming. I just don't know why they would trade for him now instead of waiting for him to be cut.

Multiple teams were interested. Padres must have wanted him.

They're crazy.

JasperDog94
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I can't find anything on the Astros website about it yet.

carter08
07-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Ensberg and cash for....

A PLAYER TO BE NAMED LATER!

Padres still want Lamb and Loretta, according to Baseball Prospectus.

JasperDog94
07-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Found it.

link (http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070731&content_id=2120290&vkey=pr_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou)

Astros trade Enberg to San Diego
Club receives player to be named later

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced today that the club has sent infielder Morgan Ensberg and cash considerations to the San Diego Padres in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. The announcement was made by General Manager Tim Purpura.

Ensberg, 31, hit .232 (52x224) with eight home runs and 31 RBI in 85 games for the Astros in 2007. In 673 career games over seven seasons with Houston (2000, 2002-07), he has hit .266 (551x2072) with 105 home runs and 335 RBI.

Ensberg's 105 career home runs rank second all-time among Astros third basemen, and in 2005, he finished fourth in the NL Most Valuable Player voting after hitting .283 (149x526) with 36 home runs and 101 RBI. Ensberg made his first NL All-Star appearance in 2005 while also receiving The Sporting News NL Silver Slugger Award at third base. Selected by the Astros in the ninth round of the June 1998 draft, Ensberg appeared in 26 postseason games for the club from 2004-05 and hit two home runs in the postseason, including one in Game 2 of the 2005 World Series.

JasperDog94
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Seriously???

Well, in that case, I believe JasperDog94 owes me an apology! :p :p :p You were correct, oh great one!:D :doh: :doh:

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
You were correct, oh great one!:D :doh: :doh:

apology accepted! :cool:

zebrablue2
07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
I wish morgan lots of luck in sd. hope he gets it all together over there. always liked his style of play, just do not know why he went south with the bat. maybe the west coast air will do him good. still believe we could have gotten just a little more for him by waiting until today, but good ole tim puppetura knows what he is doing, right.

carter08
07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Astros Press Conference
4PM

I think we traded Loretta/Lamb somewhere and they're keeping it quiet.

JasperDog94
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Astros Press Conference
4PM

I think we traded Loretta/Lamb somewhere and they're keeping it quiet. Nothing about this on the Stros website.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
is the press conference under way??? Anything happening?

carter08
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
I was wrong.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Do the Astros have a 1B prospect? The Rangers could be in the market for one if they decide to put Saltalamacchia in at catcher, and Hank Blalock and Travis Metcalf have both shown to be capable 3B.

JasperDog94
07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
The rumor is that the Astro's minor league teams are in shambles, so I doubt it.

Another great job by Purpura.:mad:

JasperDog94
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Trade-deadline-s-winners-and-losers?urn=mlb,40940)

Losers

• Los Angeles: The Dodgers and Angels both needed a bat in the middle of their lineups. The Dodgers and Angels still need a bat in the middle of their lineups. Their eagerness to hold onto prospects is admirable, certainly, but there comes a point at which their gunshy nature – particularly the Angels' – becomes a detriment. The Angels have the pitching to win the AL West, maybe even the pennant. But that lineup just won't do it.

• The Gagne whiffs: Condolences to Seattle, Milwaukee, Detroit and the New York Mets, whose fans will cringe at every lead from hereon blown in the eighth inning.

• Houston Astros: Acquiring Ty Wigginton for Dan Wheeler set the standard for this deadline. The Astros blew it by holding onto Mark Loretta and Mike Lamb, seeing as their farm system is among baseball's worst.

• Chicago White Sox: The asking price proved too high for outfielder Jermaine Dye, leaving the White Sox empty-handed. Though they still could move Jose Contreras, who likely will pass through waivers, Chicago had a chance to reap good value from either Jon Garland (for Edgar Renteria) or Javier Vazquez and chose not to.

carter08
07-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Astros minor leagues are pretty bare.

They should call up Chan Ho Park. he can't do any worse than Jennings. Oh, wait, he can. 2-5 with an ERA over 6 in AAA.

One guy with a pretty bright future is Philip Barzilla. 7-6 with a 5.07 ERA, BUT he has a 1.19 ERA out of the Pen. Could work for the 7th inning.

But back to 1B.

The AAA guy, Saccomanno, is batting .289 with 16 HR's. 83 K's. Not ready for the majors.

g$$
08-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. And they will soon learn of his shortcomings too. He wants to play in California where he's from & lives.

I thought he would go home to California. Padres need a 3B.

Garner gave him chance after chance. Blame Ensberg not Garner. It was way past time to make a change.

(now Lane, Miller, & others too)

g$$
08-01-2007, 03:24 AM
Do the Astros have a 1B prospect? The Rangers could be in the market for one if they decide to put Saltalamacchia in at catcher, and Hank Blalock and Travis Metcalf have both shown to be capable 3B.

Salty is a switch-hitting catcher with a very strong arm. He was playing some 1B for Atlanta & made some errors (had not played there since hs). His future is at catcher in Arlington.

Astros farm system is rated in bottom 1/3 of MLB (Troy Patton & little else). A few years ago it was top 5. Purp was Farm Director & did well, but has flopped as GM. Timid Tim the Puppet...

g$$
08-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Astros minor leagues are pretty bare.

They should call up Chan Ho Park. he can't do any worse than Jennings. Oh, wait, he can. 2-5 with an ERA over 6 in AAA.

One guy with a pretty bright future is Philip Barzilla. 7-6 with a 5.07 ERA, BUT he has a 1.19 ERA out of the Pen. Could work for the 7th inning.

But back to 1B.

The AAA guy, Saccomanno, is batting .289 with 16 HR's. 83 K's. Not ready for the majors.

None of those guys are MLB prospects, just organizational guys. Astros will have to major players in FA & trades while rebuilding the minor leagues. Barzilla has been up before, Park is done, & Saccomano had a good career at Baylor. None will make a difference in Houston.

crzyjournalist03
08-01-2007, 08:49 AM

I'd take him!!! I can just imagine a lineup with Saccomanno and Saltalamacchia!!!