View Full Version : Wylie in trouble!

wildstangs
07-27-2007, 09:54 PM
3 Wylie wrestlers accused of hazing

School investigating student's assault report at Oklahoma camp

08:37 PM CDT on Friday, July 27, 2007
By STACI HUPP / The Dallas Morning News
shupp@dallasnews.com

Three Wylie High School wrestlers face out-of-school suspension or other punishment for allegedly hazing and assaulting underclassmen at a college wrestling camp earlier this month, school officials said Friday.

The Wylie wrestling coach brought the team home early from a University of Oklahoma camp after a student reported that three Wylie upperclassmen had pinned down freshman Josh Blanton in a campus dormitory and repeatedly kicked him in the genitals.

"It was pretty embarrassing when it happened," said Josh, 14. "There were a lot of people around. It hurt."

Coach Andrew Wight had lectured the same boys earlier in the week for allegedly duct-taping another underclassman's arms to his bed, said Wylie ISD Superintendent John Fuller.

School officials are investigating whether more hazing incidents took place at the camp. Josh said upperclassmen targeted at least six freshmen.

Dr. Fuller would not disclose the names of the wrestlers who will be disciplined, but he said high school officials determined their guilt after talking to students, parents and Mr. Wight.

High school Principal Gary Brown will decide how the boys will be punished, Dr. Fuller said.

The district's consequences for assault range from community service to expulsion. Dr. Fuller said out-of-school suspension is a typical penalty for serious assaults.

Chris Blanton, Josh's father, said the older wrestlers should never have had the chance to harass the younger ones.

"This happened in broad daylight in the middle of the day in the dorm," said Mr. Blanton, who filed a complaint with OU police. "How can nobody be there to help him?"

Mr. Wight was the only adult to accompany more than a dozen wrestlers on the trip to Norman, Okla., Josh said.

He said the older boys assaulted him while Mr. Wight was away at lunch. The upperclassmen also ransacked his room, stole his food and left a bag of feces in a trash can, he said.

Josh said he was too scared to tell the coach what happened. He said another wrestler called home and told his parents, who called Mr. Wight.

"I just don't want my coach getting in trouble for this," Josh said. "It wasn't his fault. He couldn't have done anything."

Mr. Blanton said OU officials offered to reimburse his wrestling camp registration fee, and campus police took a written statement from his son this week.

An OU police spokesman did not return telephone calls Friday.

The University Interscholastic League, the state's governing body for public school sports, generally stays out of hazing allegations, said spokeswoman Kim Rogers.

"That's usually up to the school's discretion as far as what's considered hazing, because some forms of hazing are considered crimes," Ms. Rogers said. "It's kind of a gray area of when the school steps in and when law enforcement needs to."

Josh said at least one of the older wrestlers has called to apologize. He says he'll still spend the first weeks of high school worrying that the upperclassmen will come after him.

"If they did this in the first place, I think they would do something else," he said.

GreenMonster
07-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't think this is 3A Abilene Wylie but rather, 5A Wylie HS of the Metroplex. Nice try though.

Cameron Crazy
07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Nice catch GreenMonster

wildstangs
07-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I don't think this is 3A Abilene Wylie but rather, 5A Wylie HS of the Metroplex. Nice try though.

You mean 3A Abilene Wylie doesn't have a wrestling team? :confused: ;)

injuredinmelee
07-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
You mean 3A Abilene Wylie doesn't have a wrestling team? :confused: ;)

we dont even play 7 on 7
and will have volleyball for the first time this year at the high school level. Not sure if it will be varsity of just JV though.

burnet44
07-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
will have volleyball for the first time this year at the high school level. Not sure if it will be varsity of just JV though.

No VB for all these years?
I woulda missed that answer on final Jeopardy and probably wagered all.

thewyliefan
07-28-2007, 01:20 AM
we dont even have a power lifting team, tis a shame

burnet44
07-28-2007, 01:27 AM
you sure?
I thought I saw some wylie kids at merkel at a meet
when I was the PL coach at hamlin

maybe not

thewyliefan
07-28-2007, 01:35 AM
i think we might have had a PL team in the early 90's or mid 90's but not in a long while

injuredinmelee
07-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
i think we might have had a PL team in the early 90's or mid 90's but not in a long while

Did I see you leaving Harold's a couple weekends ago?

wildstangs
07-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I was teasing the Wylie people. I know they dont have Wrestling. I found that story on the Dallas Morning News.

Wylie offers/doesn't offer some unusual things for a 3A school. Dont they have swimming and soccer?

thewyliefan
07-28-2007, 03:04 PM
yea theres swimming and soccer, our boys soccer coach just left to go coach at abilene high.

and idk injured you mite have:thinking: haha