PDA

View Full Version : HB Direct Snap

Adidas410s
07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Do many teams still run this play??? I havent seen a HS team direct snap to a HB in a normal shotgun formation in a while. You'll see it in punting situations when the ball is snapped to the up back...but directly to the RB (ala Warrick Dunn at Florida St in the 90's) I haven't seen in a while.

smustangs
07-25-2007, 08:43 AM
i was playing ncaa 08 yesterday and the teami was playing ran it for a 35 yd td

charlesrixey
07-25-2007, 09:18 AM
i use it all the time when playing NCAA.

I think more teams should use it, especially when running out of the shotgun when you have a QB that can run to

it adds an extra element of surprise to the offense

it makes it so the RB has more time because he doesn't have to wait for the handoff, and from the shotgun he is further back and can see more of the field, and then take off to either side

it can imagine it would be very beneficial for a smaller, faster back

Adidas410s
07-25-2007, 09:24 AM
haha...you kids and your NCAA. That's one of the biggest cheese plays on the game because the computer players can't react well to it. ;)

I was wondering if anybody in real life ran the play??

charlesrixey
07-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
haha...you kids and your NCAA. That's one of the biggest cheese plays on the game because the computer players can't react well to it. ;)

i know

i think LH had some success with it last year

super1
07-25-2007, 09:55 AM
One of our opponents has run it for a couple of years now. They do it from the shotgun with 2 RB's standing next to the QB.

CenTexSports
07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
I have seen a few teams run it. Cameron ran it when Billy was there and the defense was keying on him and again several times when they had QB issues over the last few years.

If you ever watch six-man you will see some wierd things. I have seen completely empty backfields and the signals being called by an end. Then a flanker goes in motion and the ball is snapped to the flanker while he is running full speed behind the center.

JasperDog94
07-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Jasper (when they went to state) ran that play a lot. They would line up in the shotgun formation with a running back on each side. You never knew who was getting the ball. It worked pretty well, once the timing was down.

crzyjournalist03
07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

saw it two years ago...believe it was Stephenville's first round opponent...they had a QB who also subbed as RB....he wore number 22, but for the life of me I can't remember his name or his team...game was played in Denton's new stadium if that helps at all...

sahen
07-25-2007, 03:43 PM
i think it is still pretty popular, as far as college goes i am pretty sure West Virginia runs it a lot and that is the real West Virginia not the NCAA '08 one....

wildstangs
07-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
saw it two years ago...believe it was Stephenville's first round opponent...they had a QB who also subbed as RB....he wore number 22, but for the life of me I can't remember his name or his team...game was played in Denton's new stadium if that helps at all...

Jevan Snead was two years ago. Kody Spano was last years S-ville QB I think.

crzyjournalist03
07-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Jevan Snead was two years ago. Kody Spano was last years S-ville QB I think.

Right...I remembered Snead playing for Stephenville, but I had to look it up to see who they were playing.

Apparantly, I was thinking about RB/QB Justin Taylor of Sherman...I believe he also scored a TD on the play...but I'm starting to think it may have been another game and another player...I'll do more research.

crzyjournalist03
07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
ok ok...after more research, I now am having trouble...

I think that the player may have been Stanley Morrison of Denison in a 16-8 win over Denton in 2005. He was the QB, but also was the leading rusher on the team...I believe he lined up at RB for a snap and took the direct snap for a huge gain...but for some reason, that Stephenville-Sherman game is still stuck in my head...so it could have been Morrison or Taylor, but the point is, I saw it in 2005.

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i know

i think LH had some success with it last year
Nope, but it'd definitely add a new wrinkle if we did. :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

charlesrixey
07-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Nope, but it'd definitely add a new wrinkle if we did. :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

maybe i just got lost in the confusion!

it worked, whatever you did!

;)

coiled2strike
07-25-2007, 08:19 PM
navasota has it, run a gut trap off of a direct snap...haven't used it much, though...timing is the biggest issue for effectiveness...not sure if it is worth the reps to get it down...

JR2004
07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Jasper (when they went to state) ran that play a lot. They would line up in the shotgun formation with a running back on each side. You never knew who was getting the ball. It worked pretty well, once the timing was down.

I was just about to mention Jasper. They ran that play a ton when they went to state and ran it a bunch when I saw them play Burnet the 2nd time around (They not only ran it, but executed it very, very well the majority of the time.)...I liked the amount of confusion it created as to which of the three was going to wind up with the ball. I'm surprised honestly that more teams don't find a way to incorporate it into the offense.

kaorder1999
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
its a good play considering what the defense is doing. Some teams read lineman with their LB'ers and some read backs. If they are reading backs then the play isn't very great. It makes it a quick read for the backers. If they are reading people up front the quick snap to the back can be very good. Not only does it make it a hard read but by the time the backers read through the lineman to the back, the back has already gotten downhill and is already doing damage

JR2004
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
its a good play considering what the defense is doing. Some teams read lineman with their LB'ers and some read backs. If they are reading backs then the play isn't very great. It makes it a quick read for the backers. If they are reading people up front the quick snap to the back can be very good. Not only does it make it a hard read but by the time the backers read through the lineman to the back, the back has already gotten downhill and is already doing damage

When I saw them do it against Burnet, Burnet knew what was coming, but they were still successful with it in the 2nd match-up. I think that success might also have something to do with Jasper usually having some maulers at tackle and generally having WR's that are darn good downfield blockers.

Johnny 5
07-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Rio Hondo used it a couple of times this past year