PDA

View Full Version : Private school pay?!?!

wildstangs
07-24-2007, 10:16 PM
One of the most successful six-man coaches the Big Country has seen over the last decade is moving on.

Abilene Christian High School football coach Charles Tindol has accepted a junior-high coaching position in Early, where his brother, Robbie, is Early High School's head football coach. Tindol will be Early Junior High's new football, basketball and track coach.

"I just needed to get somewhere and make a little bit more money," Tindol said. "I love ACS, but I just can't get by on $8,000 a year. It's a great institution and there's nothing at all wrong with it. I just needed to get on a bit of a retirement plan, and I felt the need to move up and see how far I can go.

"I'll be around the (Early High School) program. I won't be on the payroll, but I want to learn the scheme and the system. I've never coached 11-man before, so I've got a lot to learn and that's gonna be my position right now. I'm a student."

Tindol has been at ACHS for 15 years, the last nine as head coach. In that time, he has turned the Panthers into perennial contenders. Last season's 6-6 record was the only non-winning season in Tindol's nine years, and he guided the team to its sixth straight undefeated district season. He finished his career at the school with an overall record of 78-33.

"He's done very well here. Five TAPPS finals appearances and a state championship," said ACHS athletic director Mark Coley. "He's won a lot of games here -- big games -- and it'll be tough to get along without him."

Coley will take over as head coach. Coley is entering his fifth year at ACHS, including three years as defensive coordinator. Prior to his time there, coached 11-man football in the public schools for 27 years -- 15 of them as a head coach.

A graduate of ACHS, Tindol said he actually had a chance a few years ago to leave for Early, but there were a few things he wanted to check off his list first. Those things included graduating his son, Jay (a quarterback), and winning a state title. With those things now checked, he said, it was time.

"It was a hard, hard decision," he said. "My financial situation was just such that I really needed to do something. If I would've waited another year, I would have been totally out of money.

"The biggest thing I'm disappointed with is I'm leaving these kids. Some of them I've been around since the first grade. It was really a tough decision, but I think it's gonna be for the best."

Headline: Troy Shockley; Copy editor: Nathan Sanders

Cameron Crazy
07-24-2007, 10:18 PM
8,000$ a year! wow

kaorder1999
07-24-2007, 10:26 PM
yeah, at most private schools the head coach is hired as only that, the head coach. They don't teach or anything else. Most of them have other full tme jobs that they work and just try to schedule their work time around football stuff.

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2007, 06:02 AM
He's going from $8000/year to not being on a payroll????? :confused: :doh:

BullFrog Dad
07-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
yeah, at most private schools the head coach is hired as only that, the head coach. They don't teach or anything else. Most of them have other full tme jobs that they work and just try to schedule their work time around football stuff. I wonder what former Houston Oiler Mike Barber made at Arlington Grace Prep when he was their head coach a few years ago.

jason
07-25-2007, 08:12 AM
i know 2 girls form early...

and they just happen to have a dad who is (was) a coach at early, and their last name is tendol......

wildstangs
07-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jason
i know 2 girls form early...

and they just happen to have a dad who is (was) a coach at early, and their last name is tendol......

His brother....A couple of years ago they were both Tindols were coaching in state championship games (ACHS and Early)