PDA

View Full Version : The Long Winter of Hank Aaron

PurpleFreddy
07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
ESPN re-broadcast an NBC documentary from October 1973 in which Tom Brokaw had a long conversation with Hank Aaron. Brokaw also kind of updated it with comments about Barry Bonds, etc. after each commercial break.
The very first thing I noticed ... was when ESPN showed highlights of Aaron hitting homers and Bonds hitting homers there was a distinct difference that says volumes about the two men. While Bonds stood and admires his homers and slowly trots to first, each time I saw Aaron hitting a homer he was running (yes, running) to first ... notsomuch watching or admiring his homers.
Or, maybe, it's just that it takes Barry so much longer to get out of the box because of the weight from his roided-up head.

Gsquared
07-24-2007, 08:59 PM
wait, are you saying Bonds is using Steroids?:p

JR2004
07-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
Or, maybe, it's just that it takes Barry so much longer to get out of the box because of the weight from his roided-up head.

Maybe his giant roid driven head will just explode when he hits 756.

Hammerin Hank was one of a kind and has always been such a stand-up guy that you can't help but like. Even though Bud won't throw in the asterisk on Barroids when he passes Hank, I think many baseball fans will still recognize Hank as holding the record until someone not closely associated with steroids comes along to pass him like Arod (if he stays healthy) or possibly Pujols down the road if he stays on his current pace.

burnet44
07-24-2007, 09:14 PM
hopefully barriods wont have it long
ARod will pass him, barring injury IE Griffey

Emerson1
07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
ESPN re-broadcast an NBC documentary from October 1973 in which Tom Brokaw had a long conversation with Hank Aaron. Brokaw also kind of updated it with comments about Barry Bonds, etc. after each commercial break.
The very first thing I noticed ... was when ESPN showed highlights of Aaron hitting homers and Bonds hitting homers there was a distinct difference that says volumes about the two men. While Bonds stood and admires his homers and slowly trots to first, each time I saw Aaron hitting a homer he was running (yes, running) to first ... notsomuch watching or admiring his homers.

Every player in the league now does that.

g$$
07-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Hank Aaron = class act

Barry Bonds = no class cheater

That's it in a nutshell. A-Rod will pass both of them if he stays healthy. Griffey - too many injuries in career or he might have too. Not now though.

Emerson1
07-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Hank Aaron = class act

Barry Bonds = no class cheater

That's it in a nutshell. A-Rod will pass both of them if he stays healthy. Griffey - too many injuries in career or he might have too. Not now though.

I bet Hank Aaron was a perfect little angel back then.

g$$
07-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I bet Hank Aaron was a perfect little angel back then.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what did Hank ever do in comparison to Barry Bonds (steroids allegations, HGH allegations, perjury to a grand jury, infidelity, etc.)? Regarded as a jerk by almost everyone. Great player yes, but not the best human being.

I met Barry Bonds when I worked for the Astros in Baseball Ops in 1994. I was on the field before a game with the Giants. Drayton McLane had asked me to help 2 youngsters get some autographs since they were friends of the Astros' owner. I did this & they met Matt Williams, Strawberry, Biggio, Bagwell, Kile, Caminiti, etc. It was all great for the kids (I could care less about autographs). Bonds refused to sign for them, said he did not have the time. We were on the field after BP & he had a few minutes (actually seconds). That is the Barry Bonds I met & saw break 2 kids' hearts.

Hank Aaron is a class act. Always has been thru much racial tension during his time. Played hard & is a gentleman. I know baseball history & have never heard anyone utter a bad word about Hank Aaron. Maybe you should rethink your statement about a class act in Hank Aron.

burnet44
07-25-2007, 01:58 AM
without question
Hank is a great ambassador for the game
and for his Braves

burnet44
07-25-2007, 09:56 AM
http://cagle.com/working/070723/crowe.jpg

charlesrixey
07-25-2007, 06:14 PM
True Dat, B!

Hank Aaron will always be my favorite player!

Gobbla2001
07-25-2007, 08:31 PM
email to Jim Rome today:

I don't think the roids make Barry Bonds look weird... I think he looks perfectly normal...

Signed, an orange sitting on top of a toothpick