PDA

View Full Version : Spilling my guts

Ranger Mom
07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Some may wonder why I have such a jaded view of law enforcement. Here is one reason.

A couple of years ago, my middle son got caught with some kids who were passing counterfeit money. Shane (my son) didn’t make it (the money), didn’t spend it, he was just driving the car when it was passed at the What-A-Burger drive through. As luck would have it (if any of this is “lucky”) the driver window wouldn’t roll down, so the money was passed through the back window.

Anyway, long story short….they got caught. None of the guys in the car made the money, but it all came out and the guys who were making it got prison….one of the guys in the car, who passed it, got prison time….two others here under 17, so they got a couple of weeks in juvie…and my son, who was 12 days past his 17th birthday got off with 2 years probation….(with the help of a high priced attorney)! Note – he was interviewed IN DEPTH by the Secret Service (I was there for this interview)…they felt like he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time with wrong kids…..they said they weren’t going to pursue it….the State is the one who picked it up. Everyone else got brought up on federal charges, Shane’s was state….his charge was “forgery”!

Now…..he thought he was bigger than the law, I guess. He didn’t keep a job like he was supposed to so he quit reporting to probation since he couldn’t pay his fine and I refused to. Of course, his probation was revoked (as it should have been). I had no problem with that. Important to note: He never failed a drug test any time he was tested. (I do know that he has smoked pot on occasion).

I let him handle everything on his own (MY mistake) and he got a court appointed attorney. He figured he might get 30 days and jail, and frankly, I thought it might do him some good. On the day Shane went to court, December 19, 2006 to be exact, he was sentenced to 30 days in jail and 6 months CRTC (Court Residential Treatment Center). He called me at work FREAKING out, so I went up to courthouse and talked to the attorney. He said the judge was asking for 6 to 8 years in prison and he was suggesting the 30 days and 6 months CRTC as a plea bargain.

Well… in our naivety, we thought that sounded a heck of a lot better than taking his chances on prison, so he signed the plea bargain….they took him away that day in handcuffs. Six days before Christmas and a girlfriend who was 5 months pregnant.

A few days later, we get a letter in the mail….his sentence is 30 to 75 days in jail and at least 6 months in CRTC in SAN ANGELO!!! I then called his probation officer to find out what that was all about. He said he recommended to the judge that he go to San Angelo, he felt it was a better facility…that was when I found out that his probation officer was in court that day also and told the judge he suspected that Shane was “dirty” and couldn’t pass a drug test and that was why he quit coming to probation. THIS is why Shane was sentenced to drug rehab!!! This is where my “what happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty” question stems from.

Shane was in jail for 77 days before a lawyer that I hired stepped in…..he filed that Shane’s constitutional rights had been violated because an order to extend the term had not been signed…..low and behold before the day was up, the judge signed the order…he was then transferred to Kermit!!

We went back to court on April 3rd, (about 100 days after he got put in jail) his “new” lawyer knew he couldn’t get him out of the rehab, since he signed the plea bargain….but he was able to get him transferred to the Midland CRTC. (He had a date for a bed in San Angelo for April 26th)…..the judge overruled the probation officers request for San Angelo….(and that was mainly because every person in my family that lives here – I think there was 19 in all – showed up at court in support for him…and then you have Amanda, who was 8-1/2 months pregnant at that time. He was put in CRTC immediately. Had we known all of this before, we would have fought for the Midland CRTC sooner.

Anyway…here we are today. He is a 19 y/o father of a 3 month old baby….he has never failed a drug test, never had a drug charge against him….admits that he has smoked pot…..passed a drug test with flying colors when he initially got put in jail, passed when he went into rehab….yet, he is in there for at least the next 3 months. I talked to his sponsor a few days ago…his words were, “Shane is a good kid, I don’t really understand how he ended up here”!! Well, I don’t understand it either….if I have learned anything it’s DO NOT SIGN A PLEA BARGAIN without getting all the information and unless you are just destitute…NEVER use a court appointed attorney!!

He graduates from “Intense Therapy” on Thursday and gets to start working on Friday. He has done really well, he has learned a lot, and I think in the long run it will be good for him. His counselors don’t know what to think about me, I don’t fit into the little “mold” that they have for parents of an addict. I tried to tell them there is a reason for that…he isn’t or wasn’t an “addict”, so why would I??

While he was in jail, I would go see him on visitation, I don’t know if those guards are just normally mean, if they hate their jobs, if they were picked on in school and trying to get back at the world, or what…but it you go visit someone in jail, they immediately treat you like crap….I am there visiting someone so I must be a piece of crap. I have bitten my tongue more in the past 7 months, they will look for any and all reasons to take away a privilege.

This is another reason I am seldom online anymore except at work. I try and leave the phone line open in case he tries to call Amanda…..he has to use a pay phone and the cell phones are too “iffy” and it wastes too much money if the call is dropped.

So….too make a long story short….(hahaha)…..I have NO COMPASSION for the Lindsay Lohans, Britney Spears or Paris Hiltons of the world!! My son will end up being “away” for at least 10 months…and even though he was there for the birth of his daughter…and gets a pass 6 hours on Saturdays (12 hours starting this Saturday) it is hard to bond with your child like that. He doesn’t even have as much as a speeding ticket on his record. The “forgery” charge is a felony that can be expunged after he completes his probation. I guarantee you, he WILL check in with his probation officer when told too this go around….and I bet he thinks twice about quitting a job when he doesn’t have another one lined up. He has grown up a lot over the past few months and I think this will end up being the best thing that ever happened to him in the long run……(meanwhile, I am getting entirely too attached to his daughter!)

Everyone else that was involved spent less time locked up than Shane will when this is all said and done!!

Maybe this will explain a little bit why I feel like I do. Only a few people on here know the story, but I thought I would share it. Maybe next time someone tells me to move to England or Australia because of my “views” they will understand a little more why I feel like I do.

I have tried really hard to keep up a brave front. When I went to the State Championship game in Waco, all this had taken place only 4 days before. I have tried to be strong, but sometimes, I just wanna cry!!
:)

pirate4state
07-24-2007, 04:32 PM
:kiss: :kiss:

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Hang in there friend!! :)

Snyder_TigerFan
07-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Wow....sounds like you've been through a lot. I also don't have any respect/compassion for the celebrities that can't seem to stay out of the negative spot light. They are hand fed brats that take life for granted. Live and learn though.

Hope everything turns out good in the long haul. One way or another, everything always manages to work out for the best even though it may not seem like it at the time.

smustangs
07-24-2007, 04:37 PM
i agree celebrities that get off scott free is crap but stick in there rm it will all work for you and yours

luvhoops34
07-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Awesome story RM! Thanks for sharing. Good luck to Shane, he deserves it.:)

Old Dog
07-24-2007, 04:42 PM
RM, It's good that you shared your son's story. I can only imagine how painful this has been. But, this is a rare opportunity to place this before other youngsters who "think" they can't get into trouble because of the company they keep.

Sure hope things work out for you and yours...............

Rabbit'93
07-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Some may wonder why I have such a jaded view of law enforcement. Doesn't sound like it's law inforcement rather the justice system. I hate that you had to go through all of that however.

Ranger Mom
07-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
RM, It's good that you shared your son's story. I can only imagine how painful this has been. But, this is a rare opportunity to place this before other youngsters who "think" they can't get into trouble because of the company they keep.

Thanks! Like I said, this will probably end up being the best thing that happened to him....it just couldn't have happened at a worse time, with the new baby and all.

But....I could see him (and Amanda for that matter) going down a slippery slope...and this jerked them back into reality REAL FAST!!

Ranger Mom
07-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Doesn't sound like it's law inforcement rather the justice system. I hate that you had to go through all of that however.

That too....but the guards and officers who were so ugly for no reason whatsoever were LAW ENFORCEMENT!!!

And...that's just one of several "stories" I could tell you!!

But.....I would have to admit I have a bigger problem with the "in"justice system than I do "law enforcement" really....they just seem to kind of go hand in hand and I really don't differentiate between them, and I guess I should!!

Gobbla2001
07-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Probation sucks...

44INAROW
07-24-2007, 06:43 PM
I had no idea you were going through such a nightmare RM - I hope and pray it's overwith soon........ :)

CHS_CG
07-24-2007, 06:58 PM
You know I am here for you as I have been for the past 8 months momma... its great you finally broke down...

and adidas... I think you atleast owe RM an "I'm sorry"

charlesrixey
07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog

yes, thank you

i remember visiting my twin brother in jail and praying that one day he would understand the gravity of the situation he was in

it took him a couple of years, but the progress he made (and he was a very bad seed) and the man he has become gives me hope that people can change

in his case, it took the military, which after seeing how it worked for him i have become a huge advocate of for kids without a good direction

LEROY
07-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Hang in there RM. I have a 23 year old who went through some tough times, and I do feel your pain. Kids are kids and we will jump through hoops to help them, but if you have never been on the wrong side of the law its easy to be misguided. I have told my son to keep his head up and always be positive, and good things will come. We're not all perfect, and anyone who thinks they, (and all of their children are), are in for a rude awakening. Everyone makes mistakes. It just takes a bigger man to admit them and move on. I hope your son embraces his new baby, and has all the success that life offers.

bobcat1
07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Same crap here Ranger Mom. They took my oldest much in the same way. Guilt by association. He was educated in jail and came out a criminal. I hate power mad officials with a passion. He is about to turn 30 and almost straightened back out. He still hates cops, judges and anyone remotely related to them. He made those choices and what they did does not give him an excuse for life. They damn sure didn't help matters any though. So I am with you on this RM! Spin on this judge!:thumbsup:

SintonFan
07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks! Like I said, this will probably end up being the best thing that happened to him....it just couldn't have happened at a worse time, with the new baby and all.

But....I could see him (and Amanda for that matter) going down a slippery slope...and this jerked them back into reality REAL FAST!!
Thank goodness he is on the path to total responsibility(in relation to his probation snub). I hope the best for him and his young family.:)
Sometimes hard lessons need to be learned on your own and you did nothing wrong here. Sleep easy at night fren.:)

LH Panther Mom
07-24-2007, 08:57 PM
I know it's been terribly rough on you the past months and you know I'm still here for you, RM, anytime you need a shoulder. :)

Who-dun-it!!?
07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
That too....but the guards and officers who were so ugly for no reason whatsoever were LAW ENFORCEMENT!!!

And...that's just one of several "stories" I could tell you!!

But.....I would have to admit I have a bigger problem with the "in"justice system than I do "law enforcement" really....they just seem to kind of go hand in hand and I really don't differentiate between them, and I guess I should!!

You still love me don't ya ranger mom:confused:

BILLYFRED0000
07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Some may wonder why I have such a jaded view of law enforcement. Here is one reason.

A couple of years ago, my middle son got caught with some kids who were passing counterfeit money. Shane (my son) didn’t make it (the money), didn’t spend it, he was just driving the car when it was passed at the What-A-Burger drive through. As luck would have it (if any of this is “lucky”) the driver window wouldn’t roll down, so the money was passed through the back window.

Anyway, long story short….they got caught. None of the guys in the car made the money, but it all came out and the guys who were making it got prison….one of the guys in the car, who passed it, got prison time….two others here under 17, so they got a couple of weeks in juvie…and my son, who was 12 days past his 17th birthday got off with 2 years probation….(with the help of a high priced attorney)! Note – he was interviewed IN DEPTH by the Secret Service (I was there for this interview)…they felt like he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time with wrong kids…..they said they weren’t going to pursue it….the State is the one who picked it up. Everyone else got brought up on federal charges, Shane’s was state….his charge was “forgery”!

Now…..he thought he was bigger than the law, I guess. He didn’t keep a job like he was supposed to so he quit reporting to probation since he couldn’t pay his fine and I refused to. Of course, his probation was revoked (as it should have been). I had no problem with that. Important to note: He never failed a drug test any time he was tested. (I do know that he has smoked pot on occasion).

I let him handle everything on his own (MY mistake) and he got a court appointed attorney. He figured he might get 30 days and jail, and frankly, I thought it might do him some good. On the day Shane went to court, December 19, 2006 to be exact, he was sentenced to 30 days in jail and 6 months CRTC (Court Residential Treatment Center). He called me at work FREAKING out, so I went up to courthouse and talked to the attorney. He said the judge was asking for 6 to 8 years in prison and he was suggesting the 30 days and 6 months CRTC as a plea bargain.

Well… in our naivety, we thought that sounded a heck of a lot better than taking his chances on prison, so he signed the plea bargain….they took him away that day in handcuffs. Six days before Christmas and a girlfriend who was 5 months pregnant.

A few days later, we get a letter in the mail….his sentence is 30 to 75 days in jail and at least 6 months in CRTC in SAN ANGELO!!! I then called his probation officer to find out what that was all about. He said he recommended to the judge that he go to San Angelo, he felt it was a better facility…that was when I found out that his probation officer was in court that day also and told the judge he suspected that Shane was “dirty” and couldn’t pass a drug test and that was why he quit coming to probation. THIS is why Shane was sentenced to drug rehab!!! This is where my “what happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty” question stems from.

Shane was in jail for 77 days before a lawyer that I hired stepped in…..he filed that Shane’s constitutional rights had been violated because an order to extend the term had not been signed…..low and behold before the day was up, the judge signed the order…he was then transferred to Kermit!!

We went back to court on April 3rd, (about 100 days after he got put in jail) his “new” lawyer knew he couldn’t get him out of the rehab, since he signed the plea bargain….but he was able to get him transferred to the Midland CRTC. (He had a date for a bed in San Angelo for April 26th)…..the judge overruled the probation officers request for San Angelo….(and that was mainly because every person in my family that lives here – I think there was 19 in all – showed up at court in support for him…and then you have Amanda, who was 8-1/2 months pregnant at that time. He was put in CRTC immediately. Had we known all of this before, we would have fought for the Midland CRTC sooner.

Anyway…here we are today. He is a 19 y/o father of a 3 month old baby….he has never failed a drug test, never had a drug charge against him….admits that he has smoked pot…..passed a drug test with flying colors when he initially got put in jail, passed when he went into rehab….yet, he is in there for at least the next 3 months. I talked to his sponsor a few days ago…his words were, “Shane is a good kid, I don’t really understand how he ended up here”!! Well, I don’t understand it either….if I have learned anything it’s DO NOT SIGN A PLEA BARGAIN without getting all the information and unless you are just destitute…NEVER use a court appointed attorney!!

He graduates from “Intense Therapy” on Thursday and gets to start working on Friday. He has done really well, he has learned a lot, and I think in the long run it will be good for him. His counselors don’t know what to think about me, I don’t fit into the little “mold” that they have for parents of an addict. I tried to tell them there is a reason for that…he isn’t or wasn’t an “addict”, so why would I??

While he was in jail, I would go see him on visitation, I don’t know if those guards are just normally mean, if they hate their jobs, if they were picked on in school and trying to get back at the world, or what…but it you go visit someone in jail, they immediately treat you like crap….I am there visiting someone so I must be a piece of crap. I have bitten my tongue more in the past 7 months, they will look for any and all reasons to take away a privilege.

This is another reason I am seldom online anymore except at work. I try and leave the phone line open in case he tries to call Amanda…..he has to use a pay phone and the cell phones are too “iffy” and it wastes too much money if the call is dropped.

So….too make a long story short….(hahaha)…..I have NO COMPASSION for the Lindsay Lohans, Britney Spears or Paris Hiltons of the world!! My son will end up being “away” for at least 10 months…and even though he was there for the birth of his daughter…and gets a pass 6 hours on Saturdays (12 hours starting this Saturday) it is hard to bond with your child like that. He doesn’t even have as much as a speeding ticket on his record. The “forgery” charge is a felony that can be expunged after he completes his probation. I guarantee you, he WILL check in with his probation officer when told too this go around….and I bet he thinks twice about quitting a job when he doesn’t have another one lined up. He has grown up a lot over the past few months and I think this will end up being the best thing that ever happened to him in the long run……(meanwhile, I am getting entirely too attached to his daughter!)

Everyone else that was involved spent less time locked up than Shane will when this is all said and done!!

Maybe this will explain a little bit why I feel like I do. Only a few people on here know the story, but I thought I would share it. Maybe next time someone tells me to move to England or Australia because of my “views” they will understand a little more why I feel like I do.

I have tried really hard to keep up a brave front. When I went to the State Championship game in Waco, all this had taken place only 4 days before. I have tried to be strong, but sometimes, I just wanna cry!!

Mom I hear you. I have had a similar but luckier brush with the law. A redneck bubba tried to run my daughters car off the road and nearly wrecked her. I was following and interposed my car and ran him off of her. The "witnesses" said I provoked an attack
against him and struck his vehicle. I wound up with 9 months probation and will now begin the process of having my record expunged but it will not be easy and causes me issues if I want to change jobs because I have to put I was arrested but not convicted. That really counts against you.

Ranger Mom
07-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. He is a good kid, he isn't perfect and he sometimes makes stupid choices, but he is sweet, well mannered and he wears his seatbelt!!:D

I guess my frustration is the fact he is going through drug rehab (even though he has learned a lot from it) when others who need it more than he are getting off scott-free!!

One incident, and I know this guy personally.....I don't like him, but I know him! He beat the crap out of his 2 y/o son and put him in intensive care (he and his wife lost custody of the boy and his baby brother, she has a little "crack cocaine problem)....after about a month in jail he went to court and got off with probation. He has a record a mile long all to do with alcohol and drugs....he has never had to do any rehab and I know darn well that he couldn't afford a lawyer.

I just get so tired of the punishment not fitting the crime....and unfortunately, I no longer believe that the judicial system adheres to "innocent until proven quilty"!!

Who-dun-it....you are still A-OK in my book!!:)

Who-dun-it!!?
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Ranger Mom!!!
You know I got your back!!

Phil C
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
I am sorry about what happened RM and pray that things work out for you. I am speachless about what more to say.

Emerson1
07-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Geez, where are the parents these days? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Greenwood Teach
07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm so sorry that Shane has been through all this. I hope that he can get home soon and start off fresh with his new family. After all, that is all that matters now. Raising a child will be the most important job of his life.

I know that I wouldn't even recognize Shane now. I only remember what he looked like in Kindergarten!

I have a friend that was in a car wreck a few years ago. A drunk driver ran a red light and ran into her car that was stopped at a light. He had no insurance, no driver's license, car wasn't even his. In the same incident he killed a young girl in another car. He got 4 months in jail! Today my friend called and told me that he had done it again. He killed another woman by driving drunk. He is one that shouldn't have even been on the streets!

It's not fair.

Phil C
07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Greenwood Teach
I'm so sorry that Shane has been through all this. I hope that he can get home soon and start off fresh with his new family. After all, that is all that matters now. Raising a child will be the most important job of his life.

I know that I wouldn't even recognize Shane now. I only remember what he looked like in Kindergarten!

I have a friend that was in a car wreck a few years ago. A drunk driver ran a red light and ran into her car that was stopped at a light. He had no insurance, no driver's license, car wasn't even his. In the same incident he killed a young girl in another car. He got 4 months in jail! Today my friend called and told me that he had done it again. He killed another woman by driving drunk. He is one that shouldn't have even been on the streets!

It's not fair.

I know how you feel Green. The drunk driver that killed my older brother didn't serve any time and just had his driver's license suspended even though he got convicted for manslaughter. Of course he had no insurance either.

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
My biggest hope that Shane's 4-1/2 month stint in jail and his 6 months in rehab will teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.

I honestly don't think the punishment fit the crime, but if this is the wake up call he needed, then I am all for it.

He finished up "intense treatment" yesterday and will be having his "exit interview" today....(please say a prayer for him that he gets through that okay)....if all goes well, he can start his job tomorrow.

He will be building fences with my brother-in-law....good hard solid labor that will make him sweat!!

luvhoops34
07-26-2007, 08:47 AM
My biggest hope that Shane's 4-1/2 month stint in jail and his 6 months in rehab will teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.

I honestly don't think the punishment fit the crime, but if this is the wake up call he needed, then I am all for it.

He finished up "intense treatment" yesterday and will be having his "exit interview" today....(please say a prayer for him that he gets through that okay)....if all goes well, he can start his job tomorrow.

He will be building fences with my brother-in-law....good hard solid labor that will make him sweat!!

Prayers here Ranger Mom. It's hard to find a good fence builder these days! Nobody wants to work that hard!:D

DDBooger
07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Mom I hear you. I have had a similar but luckier brush with the law. A redneck bubba tried to run my daughters car off the road and nearly wrecked her. I was following and interposed my car and ran him off of her. The "witnesses" said I provoked an attack
against him and struck his vehicle. I wound up with 9 months probation and will now begin the process of having my record expunged but it will not be easy and causes me issues if I want to change jobs because I have to put I was arrested but not convicted. That really counts against you. not all cops are bad but you occasionally find one with inferiority complex and he believes he rules his own lil world! CCPD talk to you like everyone is a piece of trash! half that force is juicing lmao! uh do they test the cops for roids? lmao! j/k i just have a hunch:thinking:

luvhoops34
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
not all cops are bad but you occasionally find one with inferiority complex and he believes he rules his own lil world! CCPD talk to you like everyone is a piece of trash! half that force is juicing lmao! uh do they test the cops for roids? lmao! j/k i just have a hunch:thinking:

I've never had any experience with the CC cops.....

BUT, I've known several people who have and they all have the same opinion of them as you do, Booger.;)

Fotbol
07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Probation sucks...
You're a brave woman for even sharing this story with us, I know in Marlin the whole justice system sucks, if I would have taken a plea bargin, I would have been in the same boat or worse, but I decided to hire an attorney, and I requested a trial, and boy was that an eye opening experience for Me, I really have a different point of view now, and Police, Judges, DA's, all lied, but I was not found guilty!

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
You're a brave woman for even sharing this story with us, I know in Marlin the whole justice system sucks, if I would have taken a plea bargin, I would have been in the same boat or worse, but I decided to hire an attorney, and I requested a trial, and boy was that an eye opening experience for Me, I really have a different point of view now, and Police, Judges, DA's, all lied, but I was not found guilty!

I didn't really want to share it at first, but after reading snide comments about the way I felt about certain things, I wanted to set the record straight. LHPanthermom, Pirate4State and CHS_CG have known about it from the get-go.

They have been my rocks!! (I love ya girls!!):kiss:

Over the years I have read different comments from certain people about how kids wouldn't end up in trouble if it wasn't for their parents and the way they were raised...blah blah blah.

Sometimes, as a parent, you just have to let your kids made their own mistakes and hope they live to tell about it and learn from it.

That is why I wanted to share my story....it could happen to anyone!!

pirate4state
07-26-2007, 09:28 AM
"so, they can learn"

I'm a true believer in that - you have to make your own mistakes. My parents always told me "don't do this..." or "don't do that..." but as kids - no matter how much our parents tell us "not to do something" hell, they may as well have told us "GO DO IT!!!" :D :o

Sometimes, it took me more than one beating "to learn" but after the 2nd time - it took. ;)

Sometimes, you just have to trust that you've done everything you could as a parent and let your kids live their life and pray for the best!!

We love you too RM!! :kiss:

Fotbol
07-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I didn't really want to share it at first, but after reading snide comments about the way I felt about certain things, I wanted to set the record straight. LHPanthermom, Pirate4State and CHS_CG have known about it from the get-go.

I had a few friends over last weekend, and the Topic was Single mothers raising children(Boys especially) to make a long story short, It's not guaranteed that a child coming from a two-parent home will make all the right decision as a young adult, just like it's not guranteed that a single-parent raised child will turn out bad, and make all the wrong decisions. RM If I had listen to my parents and followed their instructions, I would be better off, but I didn't just like must people. When you're young you think Parents don't know what they're talking about, and sometimes, it's good to let the kid learn lessons on their own. I preach to my kids until I'm blue in the face, and I know they get tired of hearing me, but it's our job as parents to lead, and teach, but once the lessons are taught, it's up to the child (individual) to adhere to that advice that was given bye our parents. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and I know you're a caring parent, so don't let anyone judge you, because no one person on here is without sin. I commend you once again, and one Day we will meet in person, and I will Hug your neck like we've been knowing each other for years, hell basically we have. Am I still the most annoying Poster?

Over the years I have read different comments from certain people about how kids wouldn't end up in trouble if it wasn't for their parents and the way they were raised...blah blah blah.

Sometimes, as a parent, you just have to let your kids made their own mistakes and hope they live to tell about it and learn from it.

That is why I wanted to share my story....it could happen to anyone!! ;) ;) :) :) :) :D

Fotbol
07-26-2007, 09:34 AM
They have been my rocks!! (I love ya girls!!)
I had a few friends over last weekend, and the Topic was Single mothers raising children(Boys especially) to make a long story short, It's not guaranteed that a child coming from a two-parent home will make all the right decision as a young adult, just like it's not guranteed that a single-parent raised child will turn out bad, and make all the wrong decisions. RM If I had listen to my parents and followed their instructions, I would be better off, but I didn't just like must people. When you're young you think Parents don't know what they're talking about, and sometimes, it's good to let the kid learn lessons on their own. I preach to my kids until I'm blue in the face, and I know they get tired of hearing me, but it's our job as parents to lead, and teach, but once the lessons are taught, it's up to the child (individual) to adhere to that advice that was given bye our parents. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and I know you're a caring parent, so don't let anyone judge you, because no one person on here is without sin. I commend you once again, and one Day we will meet in person, and I will Hug your neck like we've been knowing each other for years, hell basically we have. Am I still the most annoying Poster?

:D :D

luvhoops34
07-26-2007, 09:41 AM

People that don't have kids of their own or have never raised any sometimes are quick to make judgments about your kids or your parenting skills. Hell sometimes, it's even people who have kids and think that theirs are perfect! No such thing. Kids will be kids and you can be there for them every step of the way, but at some point they have to step out on their own and mistakes will happen. Hopefully, they learn from their mistakes and become better adults because of it. All you can do as a parent is be there for them and be secure in the knowledge that you raised them to the best of your ability!:D

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Am I still the most annoying Poster?

LOL!! Not by a longshot!!:p

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2007, 09:55 AM
(I love ya girls!!):kiss:
Back at ya.... :kiss: :kiss:

Fotbol
07-26-2007, 09:58 AM
LOL!! Not by a longshot!!:p I'm losing my touch, I liked being the villian, but it seems Jason has taken my title:D

warlok
07-26-2007, 09:59 AM
RangerMom, I empathize more than you know. I am going through a similar situation with my 20 year old son, right now.

He had gotten in trouble, the first time, when he was 15. The last time was when he was 19. I let him sit in jail for 3 months, refusing to bail him out, so he could feel the gravity of what he had done. He ended up getting 5 years probation, in a plea bargain, and that hasn't been a bed of rose petals... more a bed of thorns. However, the kid has matured a great deal, through all of this. He just got married on 07/07/07 and his new bride comes from a good family. Her mother works for the DEA and she is studying to become a criminal profiler, herself.

As for my son, he's learned quickly to never leave a job before you have another one. His new bride knows how to bring the wrath.:eek:

You have my unwavering support and prayers.

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm losing my touch, I liked being the villian, but it seems Jason has taken my title:D

Well....Jason doesn't annoy me either...we are too good of friends!!

There ARE some others though.....but I will just keep that info to myself!!;)

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by warlok
RangerMom, I empathize more than you know. I am going through a similar situation with my 20 year old son, right now.

He had gotten in trouble, the first time, when he was 15. The last time was when he was 19. I let him sit in jail for 3 months, refusing to bail him out, so he could feel the gravity of what he had done. He ended up getting 5 years probation, in a plea bargain, and that hasn't been a bed of rose petals... more a bed of thorns. However, the kid has matured a great deal, through all of this. He just got married on 07/07/07 and his new bride comes from a good family. Her mother works for the DEA and she is studying to become a criminal profiler, herself.

As for my son, he's learned quickly to never leave a job before you have another one. His new bride knows how to bring the wrath.:eek:

You have my unwavering support and prayers.

Come to think of it....I think we actually talked about our sons problems via e-mails in years past!!! (When you were still living here)!!

Maroon87
07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Hang in there Ranger Mom!:)

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Hang in there Ranger Mom!:)

Thanks!! It is pretty smooth sailing right now!

The jail sentence, then him being transferred out of Midland County, not knowing if he was even going to be able to get out when the baby was born....that was the most stressful part.

Now....he's just right down the road, he gets to come home for 6 hours every Saturday....12 hours starting this Saturday. We are having a big BBQ for him on Saturday.....no alcohol allowed!!:D :D

Things are looking up now!!

Bandera YaYa
07-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Although I do believe that most kids without any kind of parental support or intervention turn out to have very troubled lives, I certainly don't think all kids that make mistakes have bad parents, and apologize if that is how I ever sounded to you!
AND some kids with no parental support DO turn out better than their parents.....but the odds are against them. Everyone on here knows you are a good parent. Sometimes kids do make bad decisions, but the smart ones do learn from it. Sounds like your son got the book thrown at him, but he will be a better person for it. I have never been a parent that thought my kids wouldn't get in trouble. Everyone makes mistakes, that's part of life. It's what you do AFTER making the mistakes that counts. I hope that his life is great now...he has alot of life to enjoy now. You are awesome to have stood by him and supported him. That is the mark of a GREAT parent.

AP Panther Fan
07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
RM, best wishes for your son and family. I am sure everything will turn out well.

I think we all have a few "children" stories....the stuff that nightmares are made out of. Thanks for sharing yours.

big daddy russ
07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
RM, I have the same, horrible opinion of law enforcement officials and the people who encourage them. That's why I have a very low opinion of cops, MADD, and several other political organizations.

I'm sure some of you have heard of my dislike for the Taft, TX police department and former judge, but that's only the worst story in my dealings with law enforcement.

I don't deny that I've driven drunk my fair share of times (and it's been plenty), but the two times I've been arrested for DWI, I was dead innocent. Hell, I honestly haven't driven after more than four beers in two and a half years, and both my arrests have been since March 2006. You have to wonder if they really care about justice or just conviction.

Unfortunately, all this is encouraged by groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Their lobbyists want more convictions for more people and harsher sanctions on everyone. Legally, you could blow a .03 and still be arrested for a DUI (simply driving UNDER the influence, not driving with a BAC over .08). They give more money to DA's who convict more SUSPECTED DWI cases and refuse to help those who genuinely want justice.

Funny story, my first DWI was dropped completely. The reason my lawyer gave me for it being dropped? Because we extended the case until after the 2006 elections, when the District Attorney was up for reelections. He was reelected, then a few months later looked at my tape and actually apologized to me for being pulled over. He didn't even bother trying to offer us a plea bargain.

It's funny how we, as a public, look at the DA's record of conviction as a sign that he's doing his job when so many people I know have been screwed by our 'justice' system. I hate how we're led like sheep to believe that justice is about convicting rather than finding the truth, and that's why I always side with the accused until they're convicted.

My last story was my last DWI arrest, the one that happened about a month ago. I, of course, refused to blow. Unfortunately, I was put in jail for the night after pretty much acing all the tests. I weigh 235 lbs and had drank three beers in two hours' time, so I didn't have anywhere near a .08 BAC, just the smell of beer on my breath.

I have no doubt that after shelling out a couple thousand on a decent lawyer, my case will be dropped. Unfortunately, I'm still going to (probably) lose my license for two years. That's right, if you simply refuse to blow, they automatically revoke your license. Six months the first go round, two years the second. Even if you're (like me) 100% innocent.

RM, I'm sorry that happened to your son, and it's times like this that I pray to God that Karma's real. With any luck, they'll get radiation poisoning while investigating a power plant and grow an extra set of testicles on their chin. Their wives will then divorce them, their sons will disown them, and, even worse, Lifetime will make a movie about them.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I've come to distrust our 'respected' officials, all the more reason I'm doing everything I can to support one of my best friends in his path to the state senate.

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
With any luck, they'll get radiation poisoning while investigating a power plant and grow an extra set of testicles on their chin. Their wives will then divorce them, their sons will disown them, and, even worse, Lifetime will make a movie about them.

That gave me the biggest laugh I have had all week....THANKS!!!

We are almost to the point now that we just sit back and say...'"what's next?" ...and actually laugh about how ridiculous everything has gotten.

big daddy russ
07-26-2007, 04:55 PM
That gave me the biggest laugh I have had all week....THANKS!!!

We are almost to the point now that we just sit back and say...'"what's next?" ...and actually laugh about how ridiculous everything has gotten.
Well let us know how it turns out. If you have any proof that your son wasn't in on it, call the local paper. There's nothing dirty police hate more than the press. You'd be surprised at how far it can get you... if you have proof. ;)

Ranger Mom
07-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Well let us know how it turns out. If you have any proof that your son wasn't in on it, call the local paper. There's nothing dirty police hate more than the press. You'd be surprised at how far it can get you... if you have proof. ;)

The original charge of "forgery" is what landed him on probation. I never had a problem with that...he was with those people and KNEW the money was fake...whether he made it or spent it was irrelevant....he should have never let them "use" it in his vehicle.

My whole gripe is....he had admitted he has "smoked pot" on occasion. He NEVER failed a drug test and hasn't had any drug charges.....just because his probation officer THINKS he was dirty and that is why he didn't show up doesn't make it so.......but, he's in drug rehab because his probation was revoked, yet his probation wasn't drug related at all!!!

His high priced attorney that I will use from now on told him...."Shane, you are entirely too honest and you talk to much.....keep your mouth shut"!! (I think he might get that from me!!)

burnet44
07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I feel your pain RM.
Im so lucky to have the kids I have.
All of these stories keep me out of jail.
I dont do antthing that could get me arrested.
Yes I know I could get pulled over anytime.
But I dont do anything.
The thought of Bubba as my roomie keeps me out of jail.

Bandera YaYa
07-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't deny that I've driven drunk my fair share of times (and it's been plenty), but the two times I've been arrested for DWI, I was dead innocent. Hell, I honestly haven't driven after more than four beers in two and a half years, and both my arrests have been since March 2006. You have to wonder if they really care about justice or just conviction.

You know, you are not supposed to drink and drive, period.
So, you shouldn't yell "foul" if you do and you get caught. If you make the decision to do it, you gotta be able to accept the consequences.....and those consequences just might not be good or fair. Sucks I know, but you only have yourself to blame for putting yourself in that position in the first place... because then you are at their mercy.
Being angry at organizations that are fighting for tougher laws for drunk driving is insane. Do you watch the news at nite?
Drunk drivers are killing innocent people...and alot of them aren't first time offenders! You seem to think driving after a few drinks isn't the same as driving as plastered. I pray you never have to find out for sure. Stay safe!!

Gobbla2001
07-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
So, you shouldn't yell "foul" if you do and you get caught. If you make the decision to do it, you gotta be able to accept the consequences.....and those consequences just might not be good or fair. Sucks I know, but you only have yourself to blame for putting yourself in that position in the first place... because then you are at their mercy.
Being angry at organizations that are fighting for tougher laws for drunk driving is insane. Do you watch the news at nite?
Drunk drivers are killing innocent people...and alot of them aren't first time offenders! You seem to think driving after a few drinks isn't the same as driving as plastered. I pray you never have to find out for sure. Stay safe!!

DWI sucks... I Johnny Cash'd that line, but stunk it up on that little machine... sucks...

but through all of this I have learned some things:

my big ass can either

A.) Drink 5 beers in one hour and then drive while under .08

B.) Drink 4 1/2 wine coolers in one hour and then drive while under .08

C.) Drink 5 shots of 80 proof whiskey in one hour and then drive while under .08

D.) Drink 5 four oz glasses of whine in one hour and then drive while under .08

as long as it's not in a semi-truck because you must be under .04...

but they say they wouldn't reccomend driving a regular vehicle at point .05 though you're allowed to by law, that's when it starts messin' with you...

My sister was killed by a drunk driver, I don't like drunk driving... my situation sucked and I happened to be driving in a very strict county... I blew .10 I believe?

It was me, two of my friends and one of their girlfriends (who had not been drinking)... she drove to Whataburger and we all went... she started having asthma probs and didn't feel comfy driving... my friend said he would but man I'm sure he was atleast .17 or so... wasn't gunna let him drive, or the other friend who was tipsy as all hell and I know having a mother with asthma that it's hard for them to drive while having an attack, and we needed to get to the house where she had that puffer dealy...

shouldn't have done it, but oh well, tough county, tough luck I guess...

won't be doing that again :(

BuffyMars
07-26-2007, 07:33 PM
And yet I have a 27 year old crackheaded, meth headed greaseball of a cousin still on the streets spreading herpes, and god knows what else....living in a tent with his "wife" and their 2 babies, on his mother's lawn....

Let's see....he has pimped girls, sold drugs, beat his grandmother and his girlfrieds, raped his girlfriend, embezzeled over $10K, has at least 4 illegitimate kids that he does not pay child support for....can't hold a job for more than 3 days--in fact he makes his girlfriend work for them....

I mean the list goes on and on people....and yet his sorry *** is still on the street spreading disease and corruption. He has literally done everything shy of murder.

I have seen him with my own eyes take a knife to his best friends throat, and threaten to kill him because he was getting on his nerves. When we were kids, he picked me up by my throat and tried to strangle me because I was getting more attention then him....etc, etc....

He embodies an anti-social personality, and should either be in jail or in an asylum, but not on the streets.

But for whatever reason the cops won't touch him because he is a narc, and CPS and APS would not do anything!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah, you can say there is something seriously wrong with our justice system!

Gobbla2001
07-26-2007, 07:39 PM
yah, there are things wrong with it...

my ex-girlfriend (while she was a few months pregnant... with my son) was hit my her boyfriend... she called the cops, after they arrived he actually verbally threatened her life... the cops said they would arrest him but nothing would happen to him...

HELLO? isn't that a terroristic threat or something? saying "I'll ***kin' kill you if..."???

turbostud
07-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Everyone with a "bad opinion" of law enforcement needs to realize what these guys deal with on a daily basis. everyone messes up and makes a little mistake and might end up facing a cop or judge once or twice in their life but these are not the typical cases that law enforcement deals with on a daily basis. That is why they have a bad attitude or put up a front or act tough. They usually are dealing with criminals, murderers or rapists who would kill them in a heart beat if given the chance.

I know there are always going to be a bad apple or two but you have to understand who made them this way. It sure as hell wasnt Lindsay Lohan, Brittany Spears, or Paris Hilton.

Who-dun-it!!?
07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm remembering a scene from the movie "Green Mile". When John Coffee walks into the death chamber and sais " They's a hole lota people in here hate me".

I hope I' m wrong, but I'm seein a bunch of bash the police attitude in here. For those of you who don't know me, I have been in law enforcement for a long time. My apoligies to all who have been done wrong by the police in your area. I wish I could make all your ill will go away towards those in my profession.

I do realize that there are many people out there who should never have had the honor of pinning on a badge. I like to think that I have earned my passage and represent my department with great professionalism.

I'm not offended by those who automatically hate me for what I do. I only hope to offer a little understanding for who we are and what we are about.

I am a husband, a father, and like you I am a die hard football fan.

I've seen lives torn apart from the effects of bad decisions. I won't share with you the gory details of the horiffic accidents I've had the misfortune to investigate. I won't burden you with the image of children hurt and dying in front of you. I won't bore you with the times I wondered if I was going to see my family again. But I will tell you that I love my family, and for that I love my job and what I stand for. Even if you hate me I am proud to be there for you in your time of need.

Just like all of you, some good, some bad. Police are no diffenent, sadly a few bad apples spoil the bunch. A good portion of those who don't belong weed themselves out in the first few years. I certainly wish it were a perfect world where we didn't have bad officers, but if it were perfect, we wouldn't have officers at all.

Sure most of us have had "bad" dealings with police. So have I. But please don't put us all in one catigory. There are still plenty of great officers out there, and they too would not hesitate to save your life if the oppertunity presented itself. God bless you all, and please behave so we don't meet on those would be "bad terms".

stangGirl2007
07-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks!! It is pretty smooth sailing right now!

The jail sentence, then him being transferred out of Midland County, not knowing if he was even going to be able to get out when the baby was born....that was the most stressful part.

Now....he's just right down the road, he gets to come home for 6 hours every Saturday....12 hours starting this Saturday. We are having a big BBQ for him on Saturday.....no alcohol allowed!!:D :D

Things are looking up now!!

WOW! After reading all this I just realized that I have been away from the DL for wayy too long.
I had no idea any of this way happening.. I really need to catch up with the DL family.

But RM I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for everything and hoping that it all goes well. Keep me updated... you know I'm always here for you too!!:D :inlove:

3afan
07-27-2007, 07:28 AM
well, after reading thru this I have a few comments:

- to those with loved ones who have had problems, hang in there and good luck, hope in the long run it works out

- to those who think having (for example) only 2-3 bears in 2 hours is NOT drinking and driving, or that if you are under .08 its OK and you are NOT impaired, quit trying to justify your actions ... and please THINK before you kill someone or yourself

that is all .... everyone have a great weekend

Rocket Dad
07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
What I'm getting from this thread seems to follow trends of the last 10 years or so. Most laws and policies in our nation were put together after intelligent thought and research. Sure, there are a few "gray areas" in law. However, most of us have no problem with strict laws and policies until they hit home and effect us directly. The comments about not having respect for law enforcement or judges or others that help keep law and order in our nation are immature coming from adults. Do a little research about other countries and you would probably be ashamed of yourself for making negative comments about law enforcement. No, I am not in law enforcement, but respect them to the highest degree. Most of the time U.S. citizens are treated fairly by the system, it just hurts when we have to accept consequences of actions. Those of you bellyaching about cops and other law enforcement, please do not call them if you get mugged, robbed, or mistreated. Take care of it yourself.

Txbroadcaster
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
What I'm getting from this thread seems to follow trends of the last 10 years or so. Most laws and policies in our nation were put together after intelligent thought and research. Sure, there are a few "gray areas" in law. However, most of us have no problem with strict laws and policies until they hit home and effect us directly. The comments about not having respect for law enforcement or judges or others that help keep law and order in our nation are immature coming from adults. Do a little research about other countries and you would probably be ashamed of yourself for making negative comments about law enforcement. No, I am not in law enforcement, but respect them to the highest degree. Most of the time U.S. citizens are treated fairly by the system, it just hurts when we have to accept consequences of actions. Those of you bellyaching about cops and other law enforcement, please do not call them if you get mugged, robbed, or mistreated. Take care of it yourself.

So we are immature if we dont just bow down to law enforcment?

Sorry I dont buy that. People have valid complaints about how they were or are treated by the law and those who enorce the law.

You say research other countries, well maybe you should research THIS country, because we are allowed to say our peace, it does not mean we dont support the laws and overall enorcment of those laws, but it means we have had for whatever reason a problem with a paticular office or person.

But to not say anything and just always say well it is the police so they must be right, goes agianst what this country was founded on. The police make sure we follow the law, and the citizens make sure the police enorce the law fairly..Checks and balances

I guess we should have just said the DA in the Duke rape cases was right because he is law enforcment

Maroon87
07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
RM, I have the same, horrible opinion of law enforcement officials and the people who encourage them. That's why I have a very low opinion of cops, MADD, and several other political organizations.

I'm sure some of you have heard of my dislike for the Taft, TX police department and former judge, but that's only the worst story in my dealings with law enforcement.

Unfortunately, all this is encouraged by groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Their lobbyists want more convictions for more people and harsher sanctions on everyone. Legally, you could blow a .03 and still be arrested for a DUI (simply driving UNDER the influence, not driving with a BAC over .08). They give more money to DA's who convict more SUSPECTED DWI cases and refuse to help those who genuinely want justice.

Funny story, my first DWI was dropped completely. The reason my lawyer gave me for it being dropped? Because we extended the case until after the 2006 elections, when the District Attorney was up for reelections. He was reelected, then a few months later looked at my tape and actually apologized to me for being pulled over. He didn't even bother trying to offer us a plea bargain.

It's funny how we, as a public, look at the DA's record of conviction as a sign that he's doing his job when so many people I know have been screwed by our 'justice' system. I hate how we're led like sheep to believe that justice is about convicting rather than finding the truth, and that's why I always side with the accused until they're convicted.

My last story was my last DWI arrest, the one that happened about a month ago. I, of course, refused to blow. Unfortunately, I was put in jail for the night after pretty much acing all the tests. I weigh 235 lbs and had drank three beers in two hours' time, so I didn't have anywhere near a .08 BAC, just the smell of beer on my breath.

I have no doubt that after shelling out a couple thousand on a decent lawyer, my case will be dropped. Unfortunately, I'm still going to (probably) lose my license for two years. That's right, if you simply refuse to blow, they automatically revoke your license. Six months the first go round, two years the second. Even if you're (like me) 100% innocent.

RM, I'm sorry that happened to your son, and it's times like this that I pray to God that Karma's real. With any luck, they'll get radiation poisoning while investigating a power plant and grow an extra set of testicles on their chin. Their wives will then divorce them, their sons will disown them, and, even worse, Lifetime will make a movie about them.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I've come to distrust our 'respected' officials, all the more reason I'm doing everything I can to support one of my best friends in his path to the state senate.

Excellent post as usual, Russ. :cool:

CenTexSports
07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
My eldest son has been in quite a lot of trouble (98% I am sure is his fault) but there is that other 2%. We had one of the older officers in town come to the house one evening and in the conversation he voluntarily stated that a lot of the younger officers are over zealous and take themselves too seriously. In my opinion most officers are OK and will do their best to do a good job. But there are those that will single out a person or group and make it their job to harrass and detain them any time they can.

Personally, I have no sympathy for those that are arrested because most put themselves in the position to be detained or arrested. Don't drink and drive and you ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT GET A DWI. Dont go to places with people you know are capable of or have broken the law and YOU WILL NOT BE HARRASSED OR ARRESTED.

It is hard to get in trouble sitting at home watching a movie.

RM, it appears that you have done well helping your son and I hope this brush with the law gets him on the right path. A counsler told us recently that the best thing to do at some point is to distance yourself from the child (a man now) and to not intervene in any of the negative consequences of his actions. By helping him you only reinforce his ability to do bad actions and MOM will be there to help. We are finding this to be a hard road to walk especially since we are raising two of our grandchildren (2 & 4). But he suggested that in his opinion that if you help a 22 year old with these types of issues, in his experience, you will be doing the same for a 32 year old and a 42 year old until you can no longer financially or physically do it any more.

I sympathize with anyone having this issue with grown children and just know you are not alone.

Bandera YaYa
07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
I'm remembering a scene from the movie "Green Mile". When John Coffee walks into the death chamber and sais " They's a hole lota people in here hate me".

I hope I' m wrong, but I'm seein a bunch of bash the police attitude in here. For those of you who don't know me, I have been in law enforcement for a long time. My apoligies to all who have been done wrong by the police in your area. I wish I could make all your ill will go away towards those in my profession.

I do realize that there are many people out there who should never have had the honor of pinning on a badge. I like to think that I have earned my passage and represent my department with great professionalism.

I'm not offended by those who automatically hate me for what I do. I only hope to offer a little understanding for who we are and what we are about.

I am a husband, a father, and like you I am a die hard football fan.

I've seen lives torn apart from the effects of bad decisions. I won't share with you the gory details of the horiffic accidents I've had the misfortune to investigate. I won't burden you with the image of children hurt and dying in front of you. I won't bore you with the times I wondered if I was going to see my family again. But I will tell you that I love my family, and for that I love my job and what I stand for. Even if you hate me I am proud to be there for you in your time of need.

Just like all of you, some good, some bad. Police are no diffenent, sadly a few bad apples spoil the bunch. A good portion of those who don't belong weed themselves out in the first few years. I certainly wish it were a perfect world where we didn't have bad officers, but if it were perfect, we wouldn't have officers at all.

Sure most of us have had "bad" dealings with police. So have I. But please don't put us all in one catigory. There are still plenty of great officers out there, and they too would not hesitate to save your life if the oppertunity presented itself. God bless you all, and please behave so we don't meet on those would be "bad terms".

I appreciate your dedication and I for one am glad you are on our streets, protecting my kids, if they are wronged or if they are doing wrong. I don't dump all law enforcement in one pot. Yes, I have encountered some arrogant and cocky cops in my time, but if I had to deal with what they and you have to deal with on a daily basis, I'd be mean as hell. God Bless you and your loved ones that live in fear everyday you leave the house. Thanks for all you do to protect us. And you are right about the rotten apples getting weeded out...happens here all the time.
Again, thanks.:)

44INAROW
07-27-2007, 11:34 AM
oops replied to the wrong post lol.

Ranger Mom
07-28-2007, 09:27 AM
My BIGGEST gripe is that the punishment needs to fit the crime!!

A person who has repeatedly tested negative on drug tests, who is on probation for something not at all related to drugs shouldn't be in "Drug Rehab" before some heroin addict on the street pushing drugs and shooting up.....it makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I don't hate law enforcement, I live in Greenwood, I have plenty of friends in law enforcement, I think the whole entire Midland police force lives out here. Strangly enough, several of them are as appalled as I was about this whole thing.

If I had to break it down, I guess my "hardest" feelings are toward the judge and the probation officer. And it's not that I hate them, I just don't trust them in the least and I never will!!

sinton66
07-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
So, you shouldn't yell "foul" if you do and you get caught. If you make the decision to do it, you gotta be able to accept the consequences.....and those consequences just might not be good or fair.

Where is the absolute in law? Why is there a defined .08 BAC? Under current statute law is it not REASONABLE to assume that under .08 is acceptable? Was this figure written into law not based on scientific evidence? As currently DEFINED in law, how can a level below that be considered "impaired", and why should people who have complied with this law be considered irresponsible? I believe what Russ is saying is that there is too much "over-reaction" to pressure from groups such as MADD. Your own statement (paraphrasing) is that one "shouldn't do it at all under any circumstances". Is that not just such an over-reaction?

I'm not an advocate of drinking and driving either, but I can also see lots of over-reaction to it.