PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Celina

kaorder1999
07-24-2007, 01:58 PM
State: Celina nursing home conditions 'horrific' 12:35 PM CT

01:15 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 24, 2007
By BRANDON FORMBY / The Dallas Morning News
bformby@dallasnews.com

A trustee has been appointed to run a Celina nursing home where inspectors found “grossly inadequate medical care" and "squalid conditions," the state says.

A recent inspection by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services found a “complete breakdown” at the Amberwood Care Center in the 600 block of Ohio Street in Celina, where 42 people resided.

“The conditions were pretty horrific,” said Paco Felici, a spokesman for the Texas Attorney General’s office, which filed the suit after the Aging and Disability Department presented its findings.

Among other things, the investigation found patients suffering from bed ulcers, a tracheotomy tube “coated with crust,” and ventilators set at “dangerously high oxygen flow pressures

James W. Jewel, who owns the facility, could not immediately be reached for comment.

According to the attorney general’s office, the Aging and Disability Department will provide the court-appointed trustee with $200,000 to care for or transfer the facility’s patients.

The temporary restraining order issued Friday requires Mr. Jewel to repay any money spent for the care of the facility’s residents.

“We are seeking to have the trustee remain in place as long as necessary to remedy the situation,” Mr. Felici said.

smustangs
07-24-2007, 01:59 PM
its just sad that ppl treat others like that ppl in nursing homes have paid there dues and they deserve to be taken care of now

JR2004
07-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Pretty ridiculous how the elderly get treated. I hope everyone associated with that place does time in jail.

charlesrixey
07-24-2007, 06:31 PM
i remember visiting this and other places in the area (gunter, celina, etc.) where the standards seemed depressingly low

of course, that was 10 years ago

Cameron Crazy
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Thats sad! um.. from what I hear, Celina is going to be top dog this year, just what I heard.

bobcat1
07-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Pretty ridiculous how the elderly get treated. I hope everyone associated with that place does time in jail. JR2004, we don't agree on much, but we dang sure agree on this one. My wife works at a brand new one in Frisco and never worked there at this one or any around here. She works in purchasing and supply and has no contact with patients. She was shocked to here that about a place in Celina. The way she talks about the one she works at sounds like Heaven for the elderly.

Angeleyes
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM
:( that is so sad.it makes me mad when i hear stuff like this:mad: the elderly should be taken care of with love and kindness.

burnet44
07-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Angeleyes
:( that is so sad.it makes me mad when i hear stuff like this:mad: the elderly should be taken care of with love and kindness.

yes
my mom was in one for 15 years

remember to take care of your parents

all of us will probably wind up in a care facility someday

BILLYFRED0000
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
We had a neighbor in that facility that we loved and visited and she began having issues there several years ago and was eventually moved by her children. We missed seeing miss Reba.
She had lived in Celina all her life and my wife and children used to walk across the street to visit her at her house a couple of times a week. When she went to the nursing home we just kept it up till she left. Her children complained about the conditions formally but nothing seemed to happen. I am glad something is finally getting done.

sic'em
07-25-2007, 09:26 AM
my great grandma was in the one in gunter up one the hill behind where the high school is now for about 20 years (she passed about 10 years ago now). our family farm is dead in the middle b/w pp/celina/gunter/tioga, so she had a choice b/w the homes in pp/celina/gunter. they are all absolutely horrible, but these people dont want to be moved 20/30 miles away to denton, mckinney, or sherman so they suffer to be close to home... until they cant handle it anymore

charlesrixey
07-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sic'em
my great grandma was in the one in gunter up one the hill behind where the high school is now for about 20 years (she passed about 10 years ago now). our family farm is dead in the middle b/w pp/celina/gunter/tioga, so she had a choice b/w the homes in pp/celina/gunter. they are all absolutely horrible, but these people dont want to be moved 20/30 miles away to denton, mckinney, or sherman so they suffer to be close to home... until they cant handle it anymore

:(

it is a sad choice between home and quality