PDA

View Full Version : Biggio to retire at end of season

Maroon87
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
ESPN.com news services

Houston Astros second baseman Craig Biggio will retire after this season, MLB.com reported Tuesday.

Biggio's 20-year career will end Sept. 30. He will leave the game with more than 3,000 hits, 650 doubles and nearly 300 home runs.

"Retiring is not an easy thing to do," Biggio told MLB.com. "But it's time. How many guys get the opportunity to do it the way they want to do it? You're pretty much writing your own story here, as far as walking away when you want to walk away. It's not taken away."

"It's just time. That hurts. But you hear bad stories sometimes that guys waited too long [to retire] and I don't want a bad taste in the fans' mouths that I played too long. Then they remember me on the down side, the bad side. It can't get any better than it has been this year," he said, according to the Web site.

"I'm going out on top. Other than a World Series, the [3,000th] hit thing was unbelievable. To me, I'm going out on top. It makes me feel great, being able to do it this way. And the fans can remember you on a positive note," he said, according to the Web site.

A member of the Astros his entire career, Biggio has made six postseason appearances, including ther 2005 World Series.

Biggio, who made his major-league debut as a catcher June 26, 1988 -- when Ronald Reagan was still president -- is a seven-time All-Star and four-time Gold Glove-winner at second base. He had 3,014 hits and a .282 career average entering Tuesday's game against the Dodgers.

rockdale80
07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
ESPN.com news services

Houston Astros second baseman Craig Biggio will retire after this season, MLB.com reported Tuesday.

Biggio's 20-year career will end Sept. 30. He will leave the game with more than 3,000 hits, 650 doubles and nearly 300 home runs.

"Retiring is not an easy thing to do," Biggio told MLB.com. "But it's time. How many guys get the opportunity to do it the way they want to do it? You're pretty much writing your own story here, as far as walking away when you want to walk away. It's not taken away."

"It's just time. That hurts. But you hear bad stories sometimes that guys waited too long [to retire] and I don't want a bad taste in the fans' mouths that I played too long. Then they remember me on the down side, the bad side. It can't get any better than it has been this year," he said, according to the Web site.

"I'm going out on top. Other than a World Series, the [3,000th] hit thing was unbelievable. To me, I'm going out on top. It makes me feel great, being able to do it this way. And the fans can remember you on a positive note," he said, according to the Web site.

A member of the Astros his entire career, Biggio has made six postseason appearances, including ther 2005 World Series.

Biggio, who made his major-league debut as a catcher June 26, 1988 -- when Ronald Reagan was still president -- is a seven-time All-Star and four-time Gold Glove-winner at second base. He had 3,014 hits and a .282 career average entering Tuesday's game against the Dodgers.

:( Hate to see him go.

JasperDog94
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
It's time....some would say past time, but it's definitely time.

Phil C
07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
:(

smustangs
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
i love watching him play and will be sad to see him go but it is about time for him to step down

crzyjournalist03
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
he'll be immortalized in canton and by having his jersey retired by the Astros...hats off to a great career!

PurpleFreddy
07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
How many guys can say they've played 20 years with the same organization and played catcher, 2nd, and CF?

Jason1725
07-24-2007, 02:44 PM
he'll be immortalized in canton and by having his jersey retired by the Astros...hats off to a great career!

You mean Cooperstown, Canton is the NFL hall of fame.

Bull Butter
07-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I knew it had to end sometime, and I figured this would be his last season. I think he will end up staying with the organization in some capacity, probably as a coach and then a manager in the minors and who knows, perhaps as the Astros skipper some day:)

Thanks for 20 years of memories, Bidge!

Gobbla2001
07-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I listened to the press confrence on the radio then the radio station interview... said they are going to work out deal with his future astro relations once the season is over... I'm sure he'll be very involved in the Round Rock system...

Bull Butter
07-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I listened to the press confrence on the radio then the radio station interview... said they are going to work out deal with his future astro relations once the season is over... I'm sure he'll be very involved in the Round Rock system...

Or perhaps the CC Hooks !:)

Gobbla2001
07-24-2007, 05:21 PM
or maybe he can switch sports and teach NFL players the proper way to care for a dog...

zebrablue2
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Or perhaps the CC Hooks !:)

i believe he may stay out of baseball a few years to enjoy his family. may do some part time public relations, but as far as being in the minors as a coach, I doubt it. what a great career. thanks for the ride.

Gobbla2001
07-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm gunna go ahead and buy tickets to the last home game...

Sportsman
07-24-2007, 06:27 PM
The Astros will lose a good old player at the end of the season after Craig announced today he was retiring at the end of this season. It's sad, but you just can't play forever. But Congrats on a great career.

sahen
07-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm gunna go ahead and buy tickets to the last home game...

have fun w/ that, i tried to buy some earlier and the internet says they are all sold out...prolly out of the allotment that ticketmaster has allowed to be sold so far, if you call you prolly wont have much better luck...prolly you will be able to buy some as they release them closer to the game, but good luck w/ that the brokers will be buying them up left and right so they can charge u about 300% for them....gotta love ticketmaster....

Maroon87
07-24-2007, 06:47 PM
the last home game...

That's gonna be something to see, no question.

LEROY
07-24-2007, 07:38 PM
One of my favorites of all time. Hard to find loyality like that in this day and time.

Bull Butter
07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Biggio just hit a Grand Slam!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

g$$
07-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It's time....some would say past time, but it's definitely time.

Agreed. I respect Biggio so much & loved watching him play for 20 years. True gamer & competitor. But it is time for him & the team to move forward.

Thanks for the memories #7 & hello 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

Vrabird
07-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Heard on the broadcast last night that Biggio wants to play his last game as a catcher. Wants to end his career as he started it, as a CATCHER!!!! Thanks Mr. Biggio for all the memories and a great Astro career.

XMan
07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Thank God for the Astros and their fans that both Biggio and Bagwell will now both be fully retired. These 2 guys along with Ausmus, Pettite, and CLEMENS have been holding the Astros hostage for far too long. Think of how much better off the Stros would be if they kept Kent and paid him instead of keeping Biggio. With the 17mil a year the 'stros were paying part time Clemens, they could have had SEVERAL very good players instead of just one part timer. Yes, Biggio and Bagwell were good in there day, but that is long gone. Its time to move on and look to the future instead of looking back. Astros can now move Burke back to 2nd, his original spot. Loretta looks like the best 3rd sacker they have for now and Bruntlett is doing fine as SS. Bruntlett can actually hit his weight, also. They can put Berkman back at 1st and fill the outfield with bright young stars. By the way, Lane is not a bright young star. What would an outfield of Pence, Taveras, and Beltran look like?

Maroon87
07-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by XMan
Thank God for the Astros and their fans that both Biggio and Bagwell will now both be fully retired. These 2 guys along with Ausmus, Pettite, and CLEMENS have been holding the Astros hostage for far too long.

Actually, as an Astros fan, I thank God I got to watch Bags and Bidge play for my team every night, but thanks for caring about us so much.:rolleyes:

Maroon87
07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
What would an outfield of Pence, Taveras, and Beltran look like?

It would look great, if Pence wasn't hurt, Taveras had a better on-base percentage as an Astro, and Beltran hadn't used the Astros as leverage to get all that money from the Mets.

sahen
07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Actually, as an Astros fan, I thank God I got to watch Bags and Bidge play for my team every night, but thanks for caring about us so much.:rolleyes:
some peopel dont get what biggio and bagwell did for the astros, i'd put xman in that category....

Pmoney
07-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by sahen
some peopel dont get what biggio and bagwell did for the astros, i'd put xman in that category....
i agree....its sad to see Biggio go

piratebg
07-25-2007, 12:10 PM
I was driving by Minute Maid Park when I heard this announcement.

JasperDog94
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
It would look great, if Pence wasn't hurt, Taveras had a better on-base percentage as an Astro, and Beltran hadn't used the Astros as leverage to get all that money from the Mets. All very true. Although I think we gave up on Taveras too soon.

Maroon87
07-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
All very true. Although I think we gave up on Taveras too soon.

Yeah, probably. He showed signs last year of being more consistent.

sahen
07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
btw...the astros just made it to where you have to buy the "biggio 7-game flex plan" or buy tickets through the astros ticket exchange (season ticket holders selling tickets they dont use)....so, if you want to see biggio's last game expect to pay a ridiculous amount of money, the ticket exchange lets the holders charge up to 3 times face value i think (not sure, but i know they can charge a lot more than the ticket would be at the box office) or you can buy tickets to 7 games....kinda bush league move by the astros, i guess mcclaine talked to mls since and decided to use the beckham plan even though baseball in our country doesnt need a strategy like this to make money (biggio retiring sold out that last series for sure for the astros)....they will prolly release single game tickets closer cause i doubt they will sale them all this way, but the bots that the ticket brokers use will prolly eat them up unless if you are lucky...bad move by the astros in my opinion....oh well, atleast i got to see 3000 hit night...

XMan
07-25-2007, 04:29 PM
The situation with the tickets is another example of the Biggio holding the fans of houston hostage. Baseball is a team game. Baseball is about team first and individuals way after that, the Astros have lost sight of that. Biggio, Bagwell, Clemens, granted they were very good players but they should not be more important than the TEAM. This in my opinion is where the astros lose out. No individual is bigger than the TEAM. The Astros were around before these guys played and will be around after these guys played.

Bull Butter
07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
The situation with the tickets is another example of the Biggio holding the fans of houston hostage. Baseball is a team game. Baseball is about team first and individuals way after that, the Astros have lost sight of that. Biggio, Bagwell, Clemens, granted they were very good players but they should not be more important than the TEAM. This in my opinion is where the astros lose out. No individual is bigger than the TEAM. The Astros were around before these guys played and will be around after these guys played.

And you actually think Biggio went to Uncle Drayton and asked him to institute the "Biggio 7-game package"?

The fans WANT to see Biggio in there, that's the reason the organization came up with this ticket plan, which has been in place for most of the season.

And don't dare insinuate that it's Biggio's fault that the Astros are having a lousy season. Yes, his numbers are down, but other than Carlos Lee and Hunter Pence, is there any other Astro having a great season?????? The starting pitching is mediocre, the bullpen is awful, Offense is terrible, except for the 2 guys previously mentioned (and one of those is now on the shelf for 4-6 weeks)

JasperDog94
07-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Sic em BB!!!:D

sahen
07-25-2007, 05:02 PM

you have to be kidding me...if any team in the majors is known for players being modest and team oriented i would think it would be the astros, esp. one that is normally good...if you want showboating and "look at me" characters you have to go elsewhere than the 'stros, with a rare few exceptions throughout their history....

Maroon87
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
The situation with the tickets is another example of the Biggio holding the fans of houston hostage.

You need to find whomever is holding your brain hostage.

JasperDog94
07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
You need to find whomever is holding your brain hostage. lol...nice.;)

sahen
07-25-2007, 05:07 PM

The fans WANT to see Biggio in there, that's the reason the organization came up with this ticket plan, which has been in place for most of the season.

the ticket plan has been going for all season, but they just made it today where you cant buy tickets for the last game unless if u buy 6 other to make the 7 game plan...personally i dont like that cause that means at least 200 bucks cause most people arent going to 7 games by themselves and 2 tickets at 13 bucks a pop (view deck I) comes out to 182, add teh convience charge and your over 200...i make ok money but i dont want to spend 200 bucks on those games and commit myself to going to something i dunno if i can go to or not...heck what if biggio gets injured before the end of the year, then im out a lot of money...they should sell it like they have every other game this year....

btw, i looked at ticket brokers today, you would ahve to pay about 60 or 70 bucks for one of those 13 dollar tickets if not more so those of you out there that are willing ot spend that money, just get the 7 game plan, atleast u get 6 other games w/ it...

Gobbla2001
07-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Biggio is holding the team hostage, haha... the fans are in love with the guy, that's all there is to it... they were in love with him and Bagwell and the rest of the "Killer B's", that was like a team in itself, you even had 'em called folks Mike 'B'lamb etc..., it was cool... Bagwell retires, the Killer B's stop killin' and here we are with a horrible season, Biggio is gunna be the main topic... he's been here for 20 years, he's going to be a hall of famer...

Right now we're having to hear about some idiot QB treatin' dogs like chit, a steroids investigation in the bigs and some ratty ref shaving points off of games... and this is pretty much recently minus the 'roids... we've had to deal with Pacman doing his gang-banging and a whole list of other things, WE NEED TO SEE A GOOD STORY... Spurs fans saw one recently, and now us Astros fans are getting us one...

Biggio is the MAN, he hit 3k, the team is going no where and getting on our nerves while doing it so we're gunna stay behind him... we're gunna talk about how great Hunter is, how well Lidge is doing lately (so luckily we can trade him now that he looks better), how Jason Lang shouldn't be swinging a bat in Minute Maid, how we need to keep ahold of Carlos Lee and of course we're gunna talk about the most-loved Astro there ever was, BGO...

jump back in your comic book

Gobbla2001
07-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Alright, we'll give Xman what he wants... let's talk about uhm, damn, who else? Oh yah, Hunter... great young talent, hopefully the pitchers don't catch on to him too much so he can keep that hot bat going next season...

Carlos Lee, great slugger, needs to work on his D a bit...

Lance in your Pants - not a great season, but still a great player, should have a big season next year but he's really had an off year THIS year...

Lidge - good to see he's back, hope we can get a good deal with him...

Jason Lang - WTH were they thinking bringing him back up? Had a good record in the smalls, but this is the bigs, and that was the Dodgers...

Lamb - Mary had one too, no big deal here

Whoever Else - They're not playing well, why do I want to talk about them not playing well?

BGO is the man, bottom line, means so much to the fans because unlike other players he's wanted to stay here his whole career, he's one of the hardest playing players we'll EVER see... he has a great organization to help those little guys and he has always mentioned how much he loves the fans in Houston... and did I mention he's played here 20 years? his whole career? he is dedicated to this franchise which includes us fan...

he deserves our respect and admiration and he gets it... sorry the guys so easy to like...

Bull Butter
07-25-2007, 06:36 PM
You need to find whomever is holding your brain hostage.

POST OF THE DAY!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

zebrablue2
07-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Alright, we'll give Xman what he wants... let's talk about uhm, damn, who else? Oh yah, Hunter... great young talent, hopefully the pitchers don't catch on to him too much so he can keep that hot bat going next season...

Carlos Lee, great slugger, needs to work on his D a bit...

Lance in your Pants - not a great season, but still a great player, should have a big season next year but he's really had an off year THIS year...

Lidge - good to see he's back, hope we can get a good deal with him...

Jason Lang - *** were they thinking bringing him back up? Had a good record in the smalls, but this is the bigs, and that was the Dodgers...

Lamb - Mary had one too, no big deal here

Whoever Else - They're not playing well, why do I want to talk about them not playing well?

BGO is the man, bottom line, means so much to the fans because unlike other players he's wanted to stay here his whole career, he's one of the hardest playing players we'll EVER see... he has a great organization to help those little guys and he has always mentioned how much he loves the fans in Houston... and did I mention he's played here 20 years? his whole career? he is dedicated to this franchise which includes us fan...

he deserves our respect and admiration and he gets it... sorry the guys so easy to like...

well said. X is back, shaking his groove thang. not to worry, he will disappear as quick as he appeared. should be back about the first bellville scrimmage.

sahen
07-25-2007, 07:58 PM
gobbla, they aint trading lidge....not unless it is a deal that benefits the astros tremendously in the long run....i hope qualls/wheeler get it together and they trade them for something....the astros are hanging on to lidge to close for the future if he really is back, i think they are willing to take that risk, hopefully it pans out....

Gobbla2001
07-25-2007, 08:14 PM
gobbla, they aint trading lidge....not unless it is a deal that benefits the astros tremendously in the long run....i hope qualls/wheeler get it together and they trade them for something....the astros are hanging on to lidge to close for the future if he really is back, i think they are willing to take that risk, hopefully it pans out....

aren't they looking at that pitcher in the Boston system?

I wanted to see Lidge go at the start of the season, but the way he's coming around you kinda want to keep him, but man he could really get us a good player...

heard Larry Deirker on the radio earlier today being interviewed... he had pretty interesting thoughts on what he'd do if he had the handles... he said no one, including Berkman and Lee would be safe... maybe the young gun Hunter would be safe, try to build the team around him...

sahen
07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
aren't they looking at that pitcher in the Boston system?

I wanted to see Lidge go at the start of the season, but the way he's coming around you kinda want to keep him, but man he could really get us a good player...

heard Larry Deirker on the radio earlier today being interviewed... he had pretty interesting thoughts on what he'd do if he had the handles... he said no one, including Berkman and Lee would be safe... maybe the young gun Hunter would be safe, try to build the team around him...

i dont think mcclaine is trying to rebuild....and mcclaine is also loyal to his big time players...berkman is staying and he will keep pence cause he his a fan favorite, oswalt is safe too....i hope they keep lee cause he has one heckuva bat and has a huge following in houston now too....i'd like to keep loretta too but i think if someone gives the right thing he is gone....the astros had a big release the other day about how they are keeping lidge unless if it is a deal they cant refuse.....

the astros are actually in a great position next year, they havent played well this year but have a pretty good nucleus of a team esp. w/ the bats....they dotn ahve to pay both bagwell and biggio next year so if lidge is really back then they can use the bagwell/biggio money to go get a real number 2 pitcher and some bullpen help...that would putthem sitting pretty well next year....

Gobbla2001
07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
yah, I'd like to keep Lidge too, but in the back of my head I'm thinking "I hope he doesn't lose his location again"...

sahen
07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
yah, I'd like to keep Lidge too, but in the back of my head I'm thinking "I hope he doesn't lose his location again"...

all astro fans are thinkin that haha....thats the argument to trade him, but im afraid if we trade him it will be like when we got rid of wagner, think he is done and end up having many, many years of dominate closing left to go.....of course we jumped the gun w/ wagner but lidge we have given ample time, if it doesnt pan out this time then that should be it....

Gobbla2001
07-25-2007, 08:40 PM
all astro fans are thinkin that haha....thats the argument to trade him, but im afraid if we trade him it will be like when we traded wagner, think he is done and end up having many, many years of dominate closing left to go.....of course we jumped the gun w/ wagner but lidge we have given ample time, if it doesnt pan out this time then that should be it....

yah, I'll agree with that...

sotxrat
07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
This could be a rumor but here goes: Oswalt asked Biggio if in Oswalt's last start of the season, would Biggio catch for him. Biggio's reply, if the game means nothing to either team then he would do it.

I think that would be cool.

Gobbla2001
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Yah, that's the truth, I think they play the braves last game? Big said he wouldn't do it unless the game was pretty much meaningless...

personally I think this is stupid... BGO can pitch, The Wiz can catch...

and I take back my takes on Jason Lane, he did do alright down in the smalls so maybe he did deserve another shot at it...

right now I'd just like to see 'em bring up some other dudes and try 'em out...

Maroon87
07-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Matt Albers had some wicked stuff last night. Where on Earth did that come from??

g$$
07-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Matt Albers had some wicked stuff last night. Where on Earth did that come from??

He has great stuff, it all boils to command & keeping the ball down. Texas League Pitcher of the Year last year (AA). He went to Clements HS in Sugar Land. He also had to mature some after off-the-field issues (thus went to San Jac for a year). I like him for the future, just wish there more like him in the system. I hate Tim Purpura!

Maroon87
07-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by g$$
He has great stuff, it all boils to command & keeping the ball down. Texas League Pitcher of the Year last year (AA). He went to Clements HS in Sugar Land. He also had to mature some after off-the-field issues (thus went to San Jac for a year). I like him for the future, just wish there more like him in the system. I hate Tim Purpura!

I know he had good stuff but the last few times I'd seen him he may as well have been playing soft toss because he was getting yanked everywhere. I hope we can count on performances like last night more often in the future. That lineup he handcuffed is one of MLB's best.

g$$
07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
I know he had good stuff but the last few times I'd seen him he may as well have been playing soft toss because he was getting yanked everywhere. I hope we can count on performances like last night more often in the future. That lineup he handcuffed is one of MLB's best.

Agreed, maybe he's maturing. Stuff is not the question with him for sure. Misssouri City Elkins' James Loney is a player too. Wow what a baseball district in Fort Bend County that is - lots of talent every year in the Greater Houston Area. Southern California & the Greater Houston Area are regarded by scouts as the most fertile talent hotbeds in the country (weather, population, year around ball, etc. helps too).

XMan
07-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Man, I knew I would get ripped on this post but I was unaware that so many people have no clue. When I state that Biggio is holding the Astros hostage, it is his presence on the team, not him personally doing so. Im sure Big is a great guy, this i dont question. Its his presence on the team that is killing THE TEAM. As of late, no one cares whether or not the Stros win, the only question is, did Big get a hit? Hell, till about a month ago Biggio was hitting less than .230 I do agree that at this point of a dismal season that the reason to watch the games is to watch Big while you can in his last season, cause winning will not happen. The question I pose is this, as a fan would you rather see old guys with over the hill ability lose or would you rather see new, fresh faced young guys go out and win? Would you rather see a line up of Clemens, Bagwell, Biggio, and lets throw in the Toy Cannon for fun go out and lose with Pettitte on the bench or should the 'stros have gotten rid of those guys years ago and invested the millions in young prospects? No one can tell me that if the Lastros would have ditched these four guys 5 years ago and used all those millions to get other players that the Astros would not have a much better record this year. The reason the 'stros have 1 or 2 stars and no one else that looks as though they should be in the bigs is because too much money was invested in the wrong folks. I wish Drayton would empty the pockets and go pay BIG bucks for young, talented stars. The chances of this are none and less than none but I wish he would. There is one other strategy that could also possibly work with Houston's amateur baseball being so strong. Fill the roster each year with Houston area talent. Fill the line up with guys like Loney, Crawford, Barfield, Dunn, Bailey, Wagner. The local talent would fill the stands each game which is the whole purpose. MLB is entertainment, its all about fans in the stands. Give the fans what they want and they show up, if ya dont believe me, look at how mr. 3000 has put the butts in the bleachers. One last thing to consider is that the Astros are most likely the source of a big write-off for McLain. Compared to his other business ventures, the Astros are small potatoes. It may not always be in Drayton's best interest to make money on the Astros. Have fun ripping me and im just glad you are interested enough to post.

The X

sahen
07-26-2007, 12:20 PM
X you haveno idea what your talking about....the Astros havent had any trouble filling the bleachers most nights the past 4 to 5 years because of the players they had on the team and the team that Biggio and Bagwell has built....back in the 80s when the astros would finally get good enough to go to the playoffs they couldnt even sell out the important regular season games... for example, when Scott threw his no-no to clinch the division there was about 35 thousand there, granted no one knew the no-no was coming but the astros had to win that game to go to the playoffs, now days you would have to fight for those tickets and almost every fri-sun game is sold out with about 35 thousand in the stands on weeknights, thats about how many saw the Scott no-no first hand.....

1 or 2 stars on the astros? Lee, Oswalt, Berkman, Biggio, Lidge (if his head is on straight) there is 5 right there and Loretta is pretty darn good but not to "star" status yet...you cant just say go get all the houston players that lineup you threw out there would cost more than the astros already have and it isnt the hitting that is costing the astros games, Biggio could be hitting .500 this year and we would still suck because the bullpen is horrible....

if we get rid of those guys liek you want then there is no miracle playoff runs or world series birth a couple years ago, you cant just get rid of the nucleus and leaders of your team for "young talent" that rarely works....esp. young unproven talent, you got a 50/50 shot on whether or not they will make it and who knows you might end up w/ a lot of ensbergs and lanes one or two good to decent years then ur stuck giving those guys a contract when they end up horrible....

Bull Butter
07-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Mr. Hostage taker had 2 hits tonight, including a HR, scored 2 runs and stole 3rd base in a 7-1 win. Not bad for a 41 year old who is holding the team hostage by his mere presence:eek:

Maroon87
07-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Mr. Hostage taker had 2 hits tonight, including a HR, scored 2 runs and stole 3rd base in a 7-1 win. Not bad for a 41 year old who is holding the team hostage by his mere presence:eek:

The Hostage Taker freaking rules!!!!:D

Bull Butter
07-27-2007, 12:28 AM
The Hostage Taker freaking rules!!!!:D

I wish the other 24 guys would take hostages!:)

Maroon87
07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I wish the other 24 guys would take hostages!:)

Berkman needs to take some hostages. He's been pouting all year for some reason...and sucking to boot.

g$$
07-27-2007, 02:40 AM
Berkman needs to take some hostages. He's been pouting all year for some reason...and sucking to boot.

Pouting yes, because of his buddy Chris Burke. I wish Lance would commit himself to losing weight & getting in better shape (he will never be body by Atlas). His bat speed has slowed down & his body has only gotten bigger. He also needs to scrap batting RH, his far weaker side but has resisted doing it even after mgmt. asked him to consider it. I like him a lot but he needs someone to light a fire under him IMO. He seems very complacent to me.

XMan: you have theories about who you wish was in the line-up, which is your right as a fan. But, there is this thing called the Draft. We did pass on Crawford, but Loney was long gone when we picked as were others (Bailey, etc.). About 5% of all players drafted make the Major Leagues. It is a crapshoot, but I agree our recent drafts other than Pence & Patton were weak overall (both signed by state of Texas scout Rusty Pendergrass). As were some FA signings like Woody Williams guaranteed 2 years at $12 million. Crowds have been fine (almost 37K avg.). This team needs youth & a stocked minor leagues as it was years ago (Oswalt, Lidge, Santana, Abreu, etc.). Purpura has done a terrible job as GM but excelled as Farm Director. You are being unrealistic about crazy propositions. You can't field a team of only local guys (how did Swindell & Drabek work out years ago?). It is called drafting & developing esp. in a mid major market like Houston based on revenues. Payroll last year was in the top 5 of all MLB. As for Biggio, he has earned this farewell salute. It is not his fault this team is well below .500 on the year. There are many problems. Try to be realistic & rational about talent, drafting, developing, trades, etc. before popping off about BGO. Thanks.

neck_06
07-27-2007, 03:01 AM
not to take away from the albers and berkman talk or anyhing......

but just got tickets to biggio's last game!!!! i'm pumped.

g$$
07-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Man, I knew I would get ripped on this post but I was unaware that so many people have no clue. When I state that Biggio is holding the Astros hostage, it is his presence on the team, not him personally doing so. Im sure Big is a great guy, this i dont question. Its his presence on the team that is killing THE TEAM. As of late, no one cares whether or not the Stros win, the only question is, did Big get a hit? Hell, till about a month ago Biggio was hitting less than .230 I do agree that at this point of a dismal season that the reason to watch the games is to watch Big while you can in his last season, cause winning will not happen. The question I pose is this, as a fan would you rather see old guys with over the hill ability lose or would you rather see new, fresh faced young guys go out and win? Would you rather see a line up of Clemens, Bagwell, Biggio, and lets throw in the Toy Cannon for fun go out and lose with Pettitte on the bench or should the 'stros have gotten rid of those guys years ago and invested the millions in young prospects? No one can tell me that if the Lastros would have ditched these four guys 5 years ago and used all those millions to get other players that the Astros would not have a much better record this year. The reason the 'stros have 1 or 2 stars and no one else that looks as though they should be in the bigs is because too much money was invested in the wrong folks. I wish Drayton would empty the pockets and go pay BIG bucks for young, talented stars. The chances of this are none and less than none but I wish he would. There is one other strategy that could also possibly work with Houston's amateur baseball being so strong. Fill the roster each year with Houston area talent. Fill the line up with guys like Loney, Crawford, Barfield, Dunn, Bailey, Wagner. The local talent would fill the stands each game which is the whole purpose. MLB is entertainment, its all about fans in the stands. Give the fans what they want and they show up, if ya dont believe me, look at how mr. 3000 has put the butts in the bleachers. One last thing to consider is that the Astros are most likely the source of a big write-off for McLain. Compared to his other business ventures, the Astros are small potatoes. It may not always be in Drayton's best interest to make money on the Astros. Have fun ripping me and im just glad you are interested enough to post.

The X

You have theories about who you wish was in the line-up, which is your right as a fan. But, there is this thing called the Draft. We did pass on Crawford, but Loney was long gone when we picked as were others (Bailey, Bruce, etc.). R. Wagner has been a bust, hurt, & changed teams. Dunn is a modern day Dave Kingman (lots of Ks, hits HRs). Houston Area is full of talent, just like Southern Cali no doubt. But others scout here too! About 5% of all players drafted make the Major Leagues. It is a crapshoot, but I agree our recent drafts other than Pence & Patton were weak overall (both signed by state of Texas scout Rusty Pendergrass). As were some FA signings like Woody Williams guaranteed 2 years at $12 million (& cost us a 2nd rounder). Crowds have been fine (almost 37K avg.). This team needs youth & a stocked minor leagues as it was years ago (Oswalt, Lidge, Santana, Abreu, etc.). Purpura has done a terrible job as GM but excelled as Farm Director. You are being unrealistic about crazy propositions. You can't field a team of only local guys (how did Swindell & Drabek work out years ago?). It is called drafting & developing esp. in a mid major market like Houston based on revenues. Payroll last year was in the top 5 of all MLB. As for Biggio, he has earned this farewell salute. It is not his fault this team is well below .500 on the year. There are many problems w/ this team. Try to be realistic & rational about talent, drafting, developing, trades, etc. before popping off about BGO. BTW, Jimmy Winn (Toy Cannon) played well for the Astros in the late '60s & '70s before being traded at the end of his career - I hope you were being funny. Thanks.

g$$
07-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
not to take away from the albers and berkman talk or anyhing......

but just got tickets to biggio's last game!!!! i'm pumped.

Sweet, enjoy! How did you get them (connection or ticket broker)?