PDA

View Full Version : ps3 or xbox 360

smustangs
07-24-2007, 11:20 AM
i know this has been debated before but im thinkin bout gettin one or the other i still have the original xbox but for the money which is the best to get. i dont play online or use hd so off of that let me know which to get and why thanks.

DDBooger
07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
i know this has been debated before but im thinkin bout gettin one or the other i still have the original xbox but for the money which is the best to get. i dont play online or use hd so off of that let me know which to get and why thanks. if thats the case go with the lowest priced.

Emerson1
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
For the money the 360 is the best to get. Unless you are really into wanting to watch blu ray movies. Because that's all your getting with a ps3 right now.

smustangs
07-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
For the money the 360 is the best to get. Unless you are really into wanting to watch blu ray movies. Because that's all your getting with a ps3 right now.

thats what i figured

Adidas410s
07-24-2007, 12:02 PM

You're getting a lot more than a blue ray player with a ps3...:rolleyes:

1) A console that doesn't have massive overheating issues
2) A console that doesn't require multiple hardware additions to watch HD movies
3) A console that doesn't charge you $$ for online play
4) A console that doesn't put out numerous add-ons because "oops...we figured out how to add something else to the device...and it will only cost you $100 more for the add-on."
5) A console that is far superior to the xbox 360 in terms of overall media opportunities.

charlesrixey
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Games

if you want them (especially online), get a 360

if you want media, get the ps3

but i would take the 360

Emerson1
07-24-2007, 12:09 PM
1) A console that doesn't have massive overheating issues

The only big concern, they are fixing it though and they extended the warranty.

2) A console that doesn't require multiple hardware additions to watch HD movies

Multiple hardware additions? It's just one little box. Most people don't care about watching movies in HD. You can always download them anyways off xbox live anyways for a couple bucks.

3) A console that doesn't charge you $$ for online play

Wow, $4.50 a month for a vastly superior online service.

4) A console that doesn't put out numerous add-ons because "oops...we figured out how to add something else to the device...and it will only cost you $100 more for the add-on."

What are these add-ons you keep going on about? Atleast the 360 was HD ready out of the box, the ps3 made you buy an hdmi cable.

5) A console that is far superior to the xbox 360 in terms of overall media opportunities.

Most people don't care about paying extra money to watch movies in HD.

There is a reason the ps3 is losing the console race, people don't want to pay hundreds of extra dollars for features they don't want. The ps3 is a steal if you want a blu ray player, if you don't, not so much.

Adidas410s
07-24-2007, 12:09 PM
It also depends on what games you like to play. The exclusive titles (Halo to 360...Unreal Tournament, The Show, etc on ps3) are something that might matter to you.

smustangs
07-24-2007, 12:20 PM
mainly just sports games

rockdale80
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Have a 360, and I like it.

DDBooger
07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
i have the 360, works great, very pleased with the online features and ncaa is great. wish i had more time to play it!

Emerson1
07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
i have the 360, works great, very pleased with the online features and ncaa is great. wish i had more time to play it!
Excuses excuses

Keith7
07-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Get a 360, cheaper and better for gaming.. I've had mine for almost a year now and havn't had any trouble with it..

DDBooger
07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Excuses excuses SHUT UP EMERSON:dispntd: after wednesday it gets my full attention!:mad:

Adidas410s
07-24-2007, 01:10 PM
There is a reason the ps3 is losing the console race, people don't want to pay hundreds of extra dollars for features they don't want. The ps3 is a steal if you want a blu ray player, if you don't, not so much.
check the recent sales #'s...

rockdale80
07-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

but why pay a couple hundred bucks more for a system that will do essentially the same thing. I am pleased with my purchase.

Adidas410s
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
but why pay a couple hundred bucks more for a system that will do essentially the same thing. I am pleased with my purchase.
have you looked at the prices recently??? They aren't as far apart as people make them out to be.

rockdale80
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
have you looked at the prices recently??? They aren't as far apart as people make them out to be.

that may be so, but I got mine earlier than the Ps3 and for cheaper. Plus the game play is very similiar on both. Cant justify the difference in cost even if it is only 200 bucks or so.

Johnny 5
07-24-2007, 01:47 PM

:D

This time last year the previous generation of consoles were dying in the face of slowing software support, and this year only one of the next-generation consoles is supply-constrained. The market has also seen the release of many updates to already successful franchises. After last month it was a safe bet that the numbers for March sales would improve over last year, and they have, by 33 percent. We can also now look at the first quarter of the year in total and see that the industry has sold $3.3 billion worth of content for an increase of 54 percent over last year. What has driven this growth in March?

Nintendo is still king of the sales charts, and they're showing little sign of slowing down any time soon. The DS owns the number one slot for the first quarter, with 1.23 million units sold, and the still supply-constrained Wii is in the number two slot with 1.02 million sold. It's hard to say what Nintendo could have done if they had been able to flood the retail channel with systems, but this is still an overwhelmingly positive result for the Japanese giant.

People need games to play on all those systems, though, but only three games kept slots on the top 10 sales charts in March: Wii Play with Remote at number 4, Diddy Kong Racing at number 6, and Spectrobes by Disney Interactive at number 7. Nintendo has sent out a press release claiming that so far this year they have sold more hardware than all the other manufacturers combined, and Reggie Fils-Aime takes the opportunity to crow a little about the company's success. "The message delivered by both Wii and Nintendo DS is the same one," he said. "Innovation is compelling both current gamers and new gamers to experience a new way to play. Nintendo is bringing gaming back to the masses." While this may come off as hubris from other console manufacturers, Nintendo has the numbers to back up such bold statements.

Microsoft is showing respectable hardware sales with 199,000 pieces of hardware sold, but they continue to rule the charts in terms of software. 360 owners certainly like buying games, and that translates into almost four of the top 10 slots going to Microsoft. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 came in at number two with 394,000 sold, and Guitar Hero 2 had a good showing at number three with 291,000 units sold of that $90 game. Major League Baseball 2K7 holds the number eight slot with 165,000 sold. Lastly, Def Jam Icon sold well despite our issues with the game's quality, moving 148,000 units to come in at number 10. Microsoft isn't showing anything remarkable here, just steady representation with some quality games.

Sony had a rougher time overall, but the PlayStation 2 is continuing to make them proud: that system sold 280,000 units to hold the number two slot. The PlayStation 3 came in at seventh place with 130,000 sold, beating only the GameCube and the original Xbox in sales. Embarassingly, the GBA beat out the PlayStation 3 in the standings, although the PSP outsold both of them with 180,000 portables sold. In their official statement, Sony claimed that they "continue to find ourselves supply constrained in March due primarily to the shift in manufacturing focus to the PS3 PAL version to support the launch of the system in Europe."

One has to question if the PlayStation has truly been supply constrained in any market, especially with reports of European retailers selling the system at a loss to move their existing units. Sony did take the number one slot in software sales with the epic God of War 2, a game we thoroughly enjoyed.

Trends

When you took the numbers for the first quarter of this year, the trends become clearer: Nintendo has become a sales monster in gaming. The Wii has sold 1,029,000 units so far, and the DS has sold an astounding 1,232,000 units. The third place seller doesn't even come close as the PS2 has sold 874,000 units year to date. The low price and game library of Sony's last-gen system are powerful weapons. The 360 comes in fourth with 721,000, and the PSP takes the fifth place with 567,000 units sold. The PlayStation 3 lags behind with a respectable 500,000 units since the year's beginning, beating only the GameCube in sales. That system's death rattle was good for 69,000 units.

It's hard to say what we'll see going forward; gaming is hits-driven, so a large release could shake things up for Microsoft or Sony. Nintendo seems to be maximizing their hardware sales, and they literally have no place to go but down in terms of sales in 2007, although more software in the top ten would be a welcome sight. The PlayStation 3 is finding it hard to gain momentum in the face of its competition, but the PlayStation 2 remains a popular choice at retail. The industry remains strong, and consumers are faced with some hard choices as they decide who to support with their dollar.

http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/consoles.png

Link (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070420-first-quarter-console-sales-nintendo-rules-the-roost.html)

$100 bucks is alot, and it still is not enough.

BluRay player? Need I remind you of BetaMax, miniDisk, UMD, etc. ? Sony's track record of creating a popular with the masses type of media is lacking. Them forcing a BluRay player on you is not that great either. Sure, they put a DVD player on the PS2. But what competition did DVD have? The records show that when faced with competition, Sony always looses the media war.

Nevermind the fact that they are losing money up the wahoo selling the thing at $600, much less $500. Software sales is where MS, Sony, and Nintendo make their money, and MS is way ahead of Sony and Nintendo.

Nintendo's extra hardware is selling surprisingly well, though.

I have all three, and I would recommend you get the 360.

DDBooger
07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5

This time last year the previous generation of consoles were dying in the face of slowing software support, and this year only one of the next-generation consoles is supply-constrained. The market has also seen the release of many updates to already successful franchises. After last month it was a safe bet that the numbers for March sales would improve over last year, and they have, by 33 percent. We can also now look at the first quarter of the year in total and see that the industry has sold $3.3 billion worth of content for an increase of 54 percent over last year. What has driven this growth in March?

Nintendo is still king of the sales charts, and they're showing little sign of slowing down any time soon. The DS owns the number one slot for the first quarter, with 1.23 million units sold, and the still supply-constrained Wii is in the number two slot with 1.02 million sold. It's hard to say what Nintendo could have done if they had been able to flood the retail channel with systems, but this is still an overwhelmingly positive result for the Japanese giant.

People need games to play on all those systems, though, but only three games kept slots on the top 10 sales charts in March: Wii Play with Remote at number 4, Diddy Kong Racing at number 6, and Spectrobes by Disney Interactive at number 7. Nintendo has sent out a press release claiming that so far this year they have sold more hardware than all the other manufacturers combined, and Reggie Fils-Aime takes the opportunity to crow a little about the company's success. "The message delivered by both Wii and Nintendo DS is the same one," he said. "Innovation is compelling both current gamers and new gamers to experience a new way to play. Nintendo is bringing gaming back to the masses." While this may come off as hubris from other console manufacturers, Nintendo has the numbers to back up such bold statements.

Microsoft is showing respectable hardware sales with 199,000 pieces of hardware sold, but they continue to rule the charts in terms of software. 360 owners certainly like buying games, and that translates into almost four of the top 10 slots going to Microsoft. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 came in at number two with 394,000 sold, and Guitar Hero 2 had a good showing at number three with 291,000 units sold of that $90 game. Major League Baseball 2K7 holds the number eight slot with 165,000 sold. Lastly, Def Jam Icon sold well despite our issues with the game's quality, moving 148,000 units to come in at number 10. Microsoft isn't showing anything remarkable here, just steady representation with some quality games.

Sony had a rougher time overall, but the PlayStation 2 is continuing to make them proud: that system sold 280,000 units to hold the number two slot. The PlayStation 3 came in at seventh place with 130,000 sold, beating only the GameCube and the original Xbox in sales. Embarassingly, the GBA beat out the PlayStation 3 in the standings, although the PSP outsold both of them with 180,000 portables sold. In their official statement, Sony claimed that they "continue to find ourselves supply constrained in March due primarily to the shift in manufacturing focus to the PS3 PAL version to support the launch of the system in Europe."

One has to question if the PlayStation has truly been supply constrained in any market, especially with reports of European retailers selling the system at a loss to move their existing units. Sony did take the number one slot in software sales with the epic God of War 2, a game we thoroughly enjoyed.

Trends

When you took the numbers for the first quarter of this year, the trends become clearer: Nintendo has become a sales monster in gaming. The Wii has sold 1,029,000 units so far, and the DS has sold an astounding 1,232,000 units. The third place seller doesn't even come close as the PS2 has sold 874,000 units year to date. The low price and game library of Sony's last-gen system are powerful weapons. The 360 comes in fourth with 721,000, and the PSP takes the fifth place with 567,000 units sold. The PlayStation 3 lags behind with a respectable 500,000 units since the year's beginning, beating only the GameCube in sales. That system's death rattle was good for 69,000 units.

It's hard to say what we'll see going forward; gaming is hits-driven, so a large release could shake things up for Microsoft or Sony. Nintendo seems to be maximizing their hardware sales, and they literally have no place to go but down in terms of sales in 2007, although more software in the top ten would be a welcome sight. The PlayStation 3 is finding it hard to gain momentum in the face of its competition, but the PlayStation 2 remains a popular choice at retail. The industry remains strong, and consumers are faced with some hard choices as they decide who to support with their dollar.

http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/consoles.png

Link (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070420-first-quarter-console-sales-nintendo-rules-the-roost.html)

BluRay player? Need I remind you of BetaMax, miniDisk, UMD, etc. ? Sony's track record of creating a popular with the masses type of media is lacking. Them forcing a BluRay player on you is not that great either. Sure, they put a DVD player on the PS2. But what competition did DVD have? The records show that when faced with competition, Sony always looses the media war.

Nevermind the fact that they are losing money up the wahoo selling the thing at $600, much less $500. Software sales is where MS, Sony, and Nintendo make their money, and MS is way ahead of Sony and Nintendo.

Nintendo's extra hardware is selling surprisingly well, though.

I have all three, and I would recommend you get the 360. uh >.<:clap: ...wait...is this...
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/maggieT_bucket/801907924423592d222fc3.gif

Adidas410s
07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5

Look at the most recent numbers just just came out!

In the Microsoft Earnings statement last week, the Entertainment and Devices Division revealed that they had a loss of $1.16 billion thanks to flagging Xbox sales. Instead of shipping 1.8 million Xbox 360s like they did in the fourth quarter of 2006, they shipped 700,000, which is a dramatic fall-off this early into a console's life cycle. What gives?

It's definitely not a lack of games, seeing as the Xbox 360 has a much higher library of titles to choose from compared with both the PlayStation 3 and the Wii. The two factors we can point to are one, the faulty hardware that led to a three year warranty from Microsoft, and two, the fact that both the Wii and the PS3 weren't on the market yet this time last year. Both combine together to push down sales of the 360 into six digits. We'll see if Microsoft can pull itself out of this one when Halo 3 comes calling.
-----------------------
This article neglects to mention the ps3 sales were up 21% . They're forecasted to sell just over 1 million for the 3 months as they are now up to 98,469 units per week being sold at retail stores as of the end of June. Since the price cut their sales are up 131%.

Unlike the Betamax, minidisk, etc...the BluRay player/technology is actually dominating the market, in large part because of the sales of the ps3. Disney and 20th Century Fox (the two biggest studios right now) are only putting out their movies in BluRay. Warner Bros is still working in both while Universal is HD exclusive. Blockbuster will still carry both BluRay and HD-DVD in about 250 stores while their remaining 1500 stores (est) will be BluRay exclusive. The only saving grace for HD-DVD is if prices for their players get down below $200 this holiday season. Right now the jury is still out on pricing...if they don't get under $200 until next year...then you can all but crown BluRay as the HD standard for movies.

Now there is one other "outside influence" that I ran across recently. This is interesting food for thought:

owever, there remains one factor in that struggle that has yet to be completely weighed and measured. In the 1980s, pornography was the profit that drove the development and sales of a lot of the home entertainment sector. Nobody talks about it much, but the people who work all the balance sheets in accounting know that to be true. As the home video recorder/player became available across the country, so did porn tapes. Sales of both proliferated.

Sony, developer of the Blu-ray technology, has stated that it will not support the adult entertainment industry on its discs. HD DVD has support from Playboy Enterprises, Bang Bros, Wicked Pictures, and other adult entertainment film producers. This has made the HD DVD format more popular in European markets.

Very very interesting...

:thinking:

Johnny 5
07-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Porn in HD . . . yay! lol

MS is slowing down advertising while waiting for the new 65mm chips to be done. The new chip is cheaper and better. This means that MS will lose less money per console sold.

Sony has had to cut prices to keep in the game, at least a year before they really wanted to. Meanwhile, MS is still selling units at the normal price, and this will pick up later when MS decides to slash their price.

You also have to factor in the fact that alot of the main sellers of the PS2 (namely Final Fantasy and GTA) are not Sony exclusive anymore. Many big name companies jumped the Sony ship and are working with MS. When these games come out, sales will jump greatly.

And do not forget the ace in the hole . . . Halo 3.

Keith7
07-24-2007, 02:32 PM
360 is better period.. if u want a overpriced dvd player get a ps3.. if you want to play video games get a XBOX 360.. I think its funny that you think you are the great ambassador of the ps3 adidas, you don't really have many people agreeing with you.. maybe its because you don't wanna feel like you wasted money on the ps3

Adidas410s
07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
360 is better period.. if u want a overpriced dvd player get a ps3.. if you want to play video games get a XBOX 360.. I think its funny that you think you are the great ambassador of the ps3 adidas, you don't really have many people agreeing with you.. maybe its because you don't wanna feel like you wasted money on the ps3

Maybe it's the difference in a kid wanting to own a game system vs an adult wanting to own an entertainment system. The xbox is great...I'm not doubting that in one bit. I'm just stating that ps3 is a better OVERALL product in terms of what it offers for entertainment and that BluRay is well on it's way to being the format of choice for HD movies.

DDBooger
07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
360 is better period.. if u want a overpriced dvd player get a ps3.. if you want to play video games get a XBOX 360.. I think its funny that you think you are the great ambassador of the ps3 adidas, you don't really have many people agreeing with you.. maybe its because you don't wanna feel like you wasted money on the ps3 uh ohhttp://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z279/boss_301/smiley/popcorn.gif